PDA

View Full Version : THE GATHERING OF THE FELLOWSHIP-roll call

Kaijugal
11-26-2003, 01:31 PM
Once again , this is a roll call for those of you who are going to The Gathering Of the Fellowship in Toronto this December.

Remember the Masquerade is all walk ons.

You MUST pre-register online.
(for those of you who support strictly online pre-registration, this is our chance in Toronto to see how well it works. Personally I don't.)

I've paid to go. But my costume isn't working out the way I envisioned it. (I'm sure most of you know how annoying that can be.). I decided to try a new technique. BIG MISTAKE. Argh.
Well somehow I'll muddle thru.

How's things with everyone else attending?

Cheers!
Kaijugal

Kaijugal
11-26-2003, 11:58 PM
For the person who asked for this info, (and who's private mail box is full) ;)

Here's the info on the masquerade, I hope you find it helpful. :)

HERE is the site that explains the MASQUERADE. (It's being held at the Medieval Times in conjuction with a banquet and live show!)

http://tolkiengathering.com/

Several of us on the cosplay.com are attending, (myself included), so there will be a couple of friendly faces there. The Masquerade Staff are the same people you are use to seeing at Anime North and CNA. :)

Cheers!
~Kaijugal :)

Chosuke
11-27-2003, 07:20 AM
I would like to go.. but I wouldn't feel proper if I didn't have a costume.
And there isn't anyone from lotr I think I could pull off x.x

Yuna-X2
11-27-2003, 04:53 PM
Man, I wish I knew of this before now... I'd never be able to pull off going now, but I would love to go next year. *bookmarks site*

lainey
11-27-2003, 05:09 PM
will they have one next december O_o
it's definitely too late to whip out a costume now LOl

archangeli
11-27-2003, 07:31 PM
I'll be off from school by then. I might try to catch some of the events.

Mari Moni
11-27-2003, 07:38 PM
is this an anime thing or no?

lainey
11-27-2003, 07:53 PM
nope!
lord of the rings

archangeli
11-27-2003, 08:19 PM
totally not anime, but either way I wouldn't necessarily cosplay.

No one need to see an Asian elf. It totally kills the Tolkein imagery (and I say this being asian myself) ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing ROTK though. The trailers make it look absolutely YUMMY!! Already got my advance tickets!

Sarcasm-hime
11-27-2003, 10:44 PM
I think it's a one-time thing in celebration of the completion of the Trilogy. I haven't heard anything about doing it again next year, anyways.

I have my tickets, but am annoyed that it's in the middle of the week so I'd have to get time off work (which I'm not sure I can do) in order to make any of the events other than the Masquerade. Bleh.

Need to finish my costume.....*sigh*

Dawn, do you know if the movie showings are included in the Gathering membership or not?

Kaijugal
11-27-2003, 11:13 PM
I think it's a one-time thing in celebration of the completion of the Trilogy. I haven't heard anything about doing it again next year, anyways.

I have my tickets, but am annoyed that it's in the middle of the week so I'd have to get time off work (which I'm not sure I can do) in order to make any of the events other than the Masquerade. Bleh.

Need to finish my costume.....*sigh*

Dawn, do you know if the movie showings are included in the Gathering membership or not?

It depends on which version of the memebership you have.
(?)

Alpha Z
11-27-2003, 11:39 PM
According to the site, the movie screenings are only included with the full 3 day memberships.

It's unfortunate that you must hold a 3-day pass in order to purchase a masquerade ticket. Does that mean I can't even enter the masquerad if I don't have a membership?

Kisa
11-29-2003, 05:07 PM
I'm boycotting the event. Not for reasons like boycotting Crappy Con, but because a)I don't like LoTR (yes, you may all gasp now) really, and b)my Frodo costume, while cute consists of a Gap-shirt with seam-ripped collar, broad-cloth pants and vest and no wig. My cape/Pin is the best I've seen, but it really doesn't make up for the ghettoness of the rest of the costume.
c)I could NOT handle being around that many LoTR obsessing people (see a for details) and specific people in general who I know are going would end up annoying me and stressing me out emotionally.
d)too much money for something I only like luke-warmly.

hellbelle
12-01-2003, 01:40 PM
(wrong person posted)

xiola
12-01-2003, 04:52 PM
i dunno... i think you find out by having lots of friends who are obsessed with LoTR :P

i am going for a bit of the con, but i'm only able to go since a friend somehow managed to get a couple of extra passes for us to volunteer at her table (she's just doing a publicity table for another con that she is con-com for), so since we technically have passes she was able to buy tickets for my boyfriend and i to the masquerade/ball/dinner thing.

and while we're paying for the dinner tickets i think she was the one who registered so i have no idea who's name any of it was in so i don't know how i can register for anything else online >_<

also, i don't know if we'll be able to see any of the movies, and i am confused because on the site it says that after-dinner festivities are continuing until "early hours of the morning" and since this is on tuesday night, that's the same night as the midnight RoTK...

>_< so... i think i'm going but i really don't know what's going on. this con is somewhat confusingly organized. :/

Kaijugal
12-01-2003, 10:40 PM
i dunno... i think you find out by having lots of friends who are obsessed with LoTR :P

i am going for a bit of the con, but i'm only able to go since a friend somehow managed to
>_< so... i think i'm going but i really don't know what's going on. this con is somewhat confusingly organized. :/

Yay xiola! You're going too. :) Awsome! <~~ (Ack! So 80's!) LOL!

Hellbelle, I originally heard about it because I RPG with one of the memebers of URBAN TAPESTRY the band that is playing at the Masquerade Banquet. Then I got the membership info at Ad Astra last year. (They also had tables at Toronto Trek and Worldcon).

I don't think they had a memebership at Anime North, which is why it's possible many people missed it. As well, in agreement with xiola's statement, they DO seem to be a bit disorganized, and the website is huge but very confusing. (could have been more streamlined). I get the impression tho that the con is being organized more by Tolkin Fans than a mass of regular conventioneers, so with that in mind, they are doing a phenominal job.
I hope to have oodles of fun, and I look forward to having a chat with whomever else in the costuming community who comes out. :)

Cheers!

xiola
12-01-2003, 11:15 PM
kaiju: hehe, Ad Astra in turn is having an info table at the gathering, so that might be why they let her get a couple passes for staffing it (that's the table i'm helping out on :p)

hmm. i'm still so confused though =_= i guess i'll find out what's really going on as it comes closer...

i actually dont' really feel like going in the masq with my costume right now, i'm feeling negative about it turning out lately i guess... but i feel like i should enter because while there might be tons of people who outclass me, it might also end up being tiny, in which case i'd feel guilty for not entering and helping it look more filled-out ^^;; i can't tell...

Sarcasm-hime
12-02-2003, 12:22 AM
I'm just hoping my red silk velvet arrives in time! Arrrrrrghhhh.........*spazzes out*

Machiko
12-02-2003, 12:55 AM
omg, sarcasm-hime! you don't even have the fabric for your gown yet?!!

Kaijugal
12-02-2003, 01:09 PM
I'm just hoping my red silk velvet arrives in time! Arrrrrrghhhh.........*spazzes out*

*supportive hug*
LOL! I'll probably be in town saturday myself. Need more of that fabric even tho I'm 4 ft shorter than originally intended! Ack! Can't belive it.

P.S. we're all crazy ! :crylaugh:

Kaijugal
12-02-2003, 01:16 PM
A friend pointed out that THE GATHERING has it's own
promotional commerical !

http://www.tolkiengathering.com/promovideo.html

:dance:

P.S. (is anyone else having trouble with applying the clickable smilies to thier posts?)

Eleryth
12-02-2003, 09:48 PM
Can I just say one more time that I am incredibly jealous of everyone who gets to go?? *sigh*
I love Tolkien's stuff. This con sounds amazingly fun, especially with the dinner!

And sarcasm, I hope you get your fabric soon!! When were you supposed to have it by?

Oselle
12-04-2003, 09:43 PM
Mrrr, I've been away from these forums for a bit too long!

Sarcasm: If it turns out that you don't have the movies included in your membership, I have them but I'm trying to get rid of them - and I sincerely doubt that the con would refund the difference and adjust my membership! ($21, I think? Cheaper than what you'd pay at the theatre by far!). So you're welcome to them, if you're interested. And *sympathy spaz* I hope the silk arrives posthaste.

Kaiju: you'll be wonderful, if somewhat "stumpy." *wink*

I concur, this con is madly-confusing...but I figure it's likely only going to happen once, and it'll be a blast to be a part of it.

Costume status: one (a re-wear) is done, may now have a wig for it - wooo! The sword won't be coming with me though, due to the strict weapons policy. Masq. costume is almost complete (or at least, complete as it'll be for now - I have big plans for this one come next summer), just need to find footwear and make a necklace of some kind. The third is...ermm...barely started. It's this weekend's project, luckily it shouldn't be too difficult.

xiola
12-05-2003, 04:09 PM
heh... i only have... ONE COSTUME! go me. but seeing as it's a costume i was making anyway, and this is err... one of 6 cons i have to go to in the next year, i don't really care :P (6 cons, at least 8 costumes... supposedly. whether i actually finish them is another problem ;P but dammit, they're all Cute and Important(to me:p)! T_T)

i'll probably just have to wear boring clothes the rest of the time... hmm unless i get paul to buy me some cute cheap thrift store dress or something ;P or call my mom and get her to bring my cute old 20$ one from home... yay! *mom is bringing dress* yay booth-babe status 9_9

STILL not sure about movies, because i dunno how the overlapping midnight-ness works, and i dunno if we'll be able to see it on wednesday during the day or what... but i'm just goign to see what happens. woo.

Kia
12-05-2003, 04:32 PM
My best friend and I were going to go... but school and money got in the way... boo to no money ...

Kaijugal
12-06-2003, 01:53 AM
My best friend and I were going to go... but school and money got in the way... boo to no money ...

Boo~~ No Kia . :(

Oooh finally smilies working again. :bigtu:

(still boo no Kia. :( )

Kaijugal
12-07-2003, 03:23 PM
http://www.tolkiengathering.com/index-sched.html

3. Movie Seating

We have begun the arduous task of trying to accommodate over 1,500 movie-goers into a collection of small, 400-seat auditoriums! In order = simplify the process and to offer people the most flexibility in how to view the three Lord of the Rings movies, you can pre-register your choices for screening times and preferred auditoriums, directly on the website! This will save you from having to figure all of this out at the last minute at the Gathering registration, and settle for screening times that you may not have wanted.

To book your desired screen times and auditoriums, visit the Movies page...

Your Full Membership includes tickets to the three Lord of the Rings movies. You can see them in one of these three ways:

Triple-Day Triple Feature - See all three movies, one each evening (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday).
All-in-one-Day Triple Feature - See all three movies in ONE day, Wednesday (morning, afternoon, evening).
Midnight ROTK - See The Return of the King at midnight Tuesday, substituting your triple-feature ROTK ticket.
For general inquiries, contact the Movies Coordinator, at movies@tolkiengathering.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Transportation Passes

Because there are three venues involved in The Gathering of the Fellowship, attendees will need to transport themselves from one to the other. While most of the programming will take place at the Sheraton Centre Hotel, the Masquerade/Banquet will be held at the Medieval Times Toronto, and the Lord of the Rings Triple Feature movies will be screened at the Cineplex Odeon Sheppard Grande theatre.

Gathering attendees are free to use any method of transport they desire. Each venue has parking available, easy access to public transit, and taxis are plentiful. However, we are pleased to offer our =tendees the following transportation options:

Sackville-Baggins Bus Pass

$18 US ($25 CDN) each, online price ONLY.
The price goes up to $21 US ($30 CDN) each, at Registration.

This is an all-inclusive transportation pass for Gathering attendees. You get the following:

Private charter bus shuttles between the Sheraton Hotel, Medieval Times, and the Cineplex Odeon Sheppard Grande Theatre, =d back
Pre-selection of desired shuttle routes
Special needs service
Bilbo Baggins Transit Pass

$7 US ($10 CDN) each, online price ONLY.
The price goes up to $11 US ($15 CDN) each, at Registration.

This is a public transit pass, allowing you unlimited travel on the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC)'s service, over the three days of the event. You get the following:

Three-day TTC Convention Pass allowing unlimited travel all over the city
Transit map
Explicit directions on how to use the TTC between the Gathering venues
Gollum =ss

Free

"It mocks us, preciousss! Tricksey!! False!! We hates it!! We hates it forever!!"

You get the following:

Crudely-drawn map of Toronto with basic directions
Buy your transportation passes at the Gathering website today, at the cheaper price! Click here...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. Registration, Memberships, and What To Do When You Get Here

So you purchased your memberships and tickets months ago, and now you're wondering the following:

"What do I do now?"
"I never received a confirmation number!"
"I lost my confirmation number!"
"Nobody mailed me any tickets!"
"Will I be able to get in to the Gathering???"

We will not lie to you... we've had a few problems with the membership =gistration system. It was conceived in the very early planning stages for the Gathering, and it definitely experienced growing pains. For one, we did not know early on that we would have so many options for attendees. And two, we did not anticipate the problems that kept cropping up with the PayPal payment system, and the inability of emails to get through to their intended targets.

In this age of internet vulnerability, many people have firewalls protecting their systems, and email filters to discourage spam. Well, 90% of the Gathering =gistration problems were due to these two realities. There is a very =od chance that our form didn't work for you because of your firewall, and an equally good chance that our confirmation email actually reached you but ended up in your bulk email box.

And yet another problem was systematic, caused by misguided good intentions. We originally thought that we would have three of us taking in registrations, so that in case one of our computers crashed, we would not lose the data. Well, what happened is that we ended up with three different membership lists, and it was rather difficult for us to reconcile the three. We've since sorted out the problem, but for a long time our efforts were tripled and created mostly confusion. If we ever = this again (?!) we will have the experience for a vastly improved system.

Anyway, what does this all mean to you now? You don't care about any of this - you just want to make sure we let you in, right??

Memberships, Tickets, Passes:

When you arrive at the Gathering, you will pick up your Membership Badge (to be worn at all times during the convention), =ur Movie Tickets (to be redeemed at the theatre), your Banquet Tickets (to be redeemed at Medieval Times), and your Transportation Passes (if purchased). You can pick all of this up at Registration.
You may also purchase more Movie Tickets*, Banquet Tickets*, Transportation Passes*, 3-Day Passes, and Same-day Passes at =gistration. Items marked with the asterisk (*) will be available as quantities last.
Registration

Registration will be on the Lower Level of the Sheraton Centre Hotel, at the bottom = the escalators, in the section we call The Grey Havens. We anticipate queues, so arrive early! Registration will be open at 8am on the Monday and available throughout the day.
If you arrive on the Sunday, Early Registration will be available in the Houses of Healing Room on the second floor of the Sheraton Centre Hotel from 12noon to 10pm.
Identification

To pick up all your pre-ordered Memberships, Tickets, and Passes, you must present your Confirmation Number and some picture identification. The person who made the purchase should be the one picking them up.
If you lost your Confirmation Number, you must present two pieces of identification.
On-site Purchases

If you wish to purchase Memberships, Tickets, or Passes at Registration, they will be for sale as they are available. Payment methods: Canadian Cash (US currency accepted, but change will be in CDN dollars), Canadian Interac Debit, Credit Cards (VISA, Mastercard, American Express). Cheques will NOT be accepted.

Public =ckets

Tickets will be available to the public. Pre-registration is NOT required. Here is the price list "at the door":
CONFERENCE PRICES
US
CDN

Full Membership (3-Day Pass + 3 LOTR Movies)
$85
$119

3-Day Pass
Regular
$70
$98

Tuesday Trilogy
Ticket Holders* $35
$49

Single Day Admission
Adult
$25
$35

Child (12 and under)
$17
$24

Masquerade/Banquet Tickets
Adult
$35
$49

Child (12 and under)
$25
$35

LOTR Movie Tickets
The Fellowship of the Ring
$5
$7

The Two Towers
$5
$7

The Return of the King
$8
$11

Transportation Passes
Sackville-Baggins Bus Pass
$21
$30

Bilbo Baggins Transit Pass
$11
$15

*If you have tickets for New Line Cinema's Tuesday Trilogy screening of the Lord of =e Rings, show your ticket (or a printout of your Tuesday Trilogy confirmation email) at Registration and receive this special price for =e Three-Day Pass!

Vendor/Guest/Press/Volunteer Registration

If you are a vendor, set-up hours begin Sunday at 12:00noon. Registration will be at the Houses of Healing room on the second floor of the Sheraton Centre Hotel. You may also pick up your Loading Dock Pass at that time. You may not unload at the loading dock without a Dock Pass.
If you will be running a fan table, set-up hours begin Sunday at 6:00pm. Follow the same procedure above.
Please note that there are still some vendor spaces available! Please contact the Vendor Coordinator (vendors@tolkiengathering.com) ASAP for more information!
If you are a Guest of Honour you should contact the Programming Director (programming@tolkiengathering.com) for Registration information.
If you are a member of the Press, you should contact our Media Director at flack@tolkiengathering.com.
If you are a registered volunteer, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator (volunteers@tolkiengathering.com). If you wish to volunteer on-site, please visit the Houses of Healing room on the second floor of the Sheraton Centre Hotel.