PDA

View Full Version : Live Action Drama: What do you think?

crazywuzhere
08-13-2011, 09:20 AM
Recently in Japan, The Ouran Host Club aired as a live action drama. I watched the first episode the other day and couldn't decide if I liked it, or it was just plain obnoxious.
Then there's the decision of how one should cosplay ouran. Anime, or live action version?
Tell me what you Ouran fans think!
Move this thread if I'm not in the right place. Sorry!!

pyrodancer
08-13-2011, 02:02 PM
I have to say that honestly, I was kind of disappointed with the live action XP I love the anime and manga series soooo much, I guess I had really high expectations for the live series, and it just didn't happen.... all the CG was corny to the point that it wasn't funny.

However, I really do like the black and white school uniforms that they wear, so I might plan on making that version of the uniform sometime in the future, since I already have the blue jacket from the anime/manga.

pokkypok
08-14-2011, 12:09 AM
Honestly, i thought it was absolutely ridiculous.
Yet at the same time, I absolutely love it XD I love it because it's ridiculous. It's fun to see what translates into real life, and what looks extremely awkward.

I think that It would be a better idea to do cosplays from the anime, just because I don't think too many people would recognize you otherwise.

sweetnsassy
08-21-2011, 02:52 PM
^same here, I absolutely love it. I've seen a ton of realllllllly bad Jdramas, so my expectations weren't all that high for this. It's so cheesy and over-the-top that I can't help but find it endearing. The actor who plays Tamaki really nailed the character imo. And I really like the uniforms; already want to make my own.

creativecrater
08-25-2011, 09:14 PM
I, for one, went into the live action with low expectations because of how much I love the anime and manga and didn't want disappointment. I LOVE IT. I love some of the minor changes they made. Yes, some things are cheesy. Cheesy to the point of facepalming. As has been said, some stuff just doesn't work in real life i.e. honey-sempai "shrinking" *shudders* it's just weird. I'm happy they kept the cosplaying/dressing up that the host club does. I was worried that budget and whatnot would prevent that from happening in every episode. I'm very sad though that they didn't make Tamaki's hair blonder, but the actor, Yamamoto Yusuke, is an awesome Tamaki! That's a hard role.... In fact, the main cast is doing great so far.

I hated the uniforms at first, but I'm growing to like the male uniforms. The female uniform look strange IRL, but that was expected. I'd like to make the live action host uniforms at some point just to see if I'm recognized. Plus, they actually look rather snazy.

animegamer057
08-29-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm.....conflicted. It's like Hetalia for me. I'm not sure to whether to hate or like the ridiculousness of it all, especially since I have enjoyed the source material so much. (The source material for Hetalia being ACTUAL World History).

In any case, I'm a little peeved about the uniform change. I got to give it a while.

P.S. Hey creativecrater!! If you don't remember who I am, I was Mori during Comic-Con for the SoCal Host Club. PM me later!!

Karlibell22
08-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Like many, I started watching the live action with VERY low expectations because of how much I love the anime and manga. I was pleasantly surprised. The over-the-top bad-looking CGI made me laugh, and all of the actors portray the characters really well, IMO. I actually really enjoyed the costume change and think that it brought the show into a slightly more realistic setting (and plus, the boys look so nice in them o.o ), so the show gets two thumbs up from me :3

crazywuzhere
09-03-2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks for sharing, everyone! For me, I just barely mangaed through the first episode of the live action. My mind just couldn't hold on to it. It was just so... so... idunno...lame. And cheezy. And overthetop. I guess this proves that some ought to just stay anime/manga.

Oh! By the way, they are taking the live action actors and making an OURAN HOST CLUB MOVIE.
How do you like that?

Cosplay_Kitten
09-05-2011, 04:33 AM
I honestly thought they were going to destroy it like many live actions do. I went in with low expectations and am coming out squealing and fan girling like I'm 12 again. I think like everyone else said its so ridiculous that its adorable. It's cheesy, corny, and absolutely weird but I can't help but love it.

Anyaheirkoya
09-07-2011, 10:49 PM
I was so torn, it took a few episodes for me to decide whether to run away screaming, or fall hopelessly in love. I chose the hopelessly in love route. XP

I was not too happy with the female uniforms, but I like the boy's. Honestly, I would cosplay them both, because I do like them, if I'm not comparing to the manga and anime.

Azayakachan
09-30-2011, 02:22 AM
Yeahhhh, I've watched the first nine episodes. Frankly, I'm with you. I can't decide if I want to just get into it or I find it annoying. The special effects are pretty bad. I draw the line at Hani shrinking when he jumps onto Haruhi. That was just too weird. But Tamaki's fairly amusing. In any case, if you cosplay, I say cosplay from the anime. The costumes are slightly less interesting in the live action. I hope they don't make a movie. Somehow I think they will, though D:

crazywuzhere
09-30-2011, 05:29 PM
that's the thing, they ARE making a movie. I just hope it doesn't turn out like it did with Honey and Clover...

Smithy-Smith
10-09-2011, 09:57 PM
At first, i thought the live action was TERRIBLE. then I was like, "Just gonna watch 1 more episode.." and then I realized, its like re-living the anime and manga but in a really cheesey, CGI-full way. I always get really sad when an anime/manga series ends, so this was kinda nice. I don't think it ruins the anime and manga, it just..adds to the ridiculousness. Cos if you think about it, the entire host club is absolutely ridiculous.
The only thing that really bugs me is the fact that Tamaki..reminds me of... Michael Jackson for some reason, but I'm mostly over that now. Don't ask why... he just does.. XD

Kuroda Asuka
11-14-2011, 11:25 PM
I thought it was fun to watch, something to past time but I couldn't help but cringe at Kawaguchi's (Haruhi) acting skills. Especially when she "punch" the twins to make them stop fighting. It was just to awkward and lame... I love her in Yankee-kun to Megane-chan though!
I hope for the movie, it'll be like the ending from the manga!

ElleZee
11-18-2011, 08:01 PM
I really think the guy who plays Tamaki is terribly unattractive and a bad actor. They truly could have done better with his casting. Other than that, I enjoyed the live-action drama.

Royalbakaness
11-21-2011, 05:31 PM
I will agree that Tamaki disappointed me, and some of the effect were over the top and dumb (I hate when Tamaki's heart is beating out of his chest. SO STUPID).
But overall I'm enjoying it. I absolutely LOVE Kyouya is this series. I think I may love him more than my beloved Tamaki :-O He absolutely cracks me up (the episode where Haruhi and Hikaru go on a date has some great scenes of Kyouya being hilarious!!!)
Still love the manga most of all, though.

awesomeifyit
03-25-2012, 03:14 PM
The first couple of episodes i was kinda like, "oh this is kinda....boring" but i somehow couldnt stop myself from watching. Now, i absolutely LOVE it. They recently made a movie. it came out about a week ago in Japan.
As for cosplay, I prefer the anime. When people see it it hits them right away as Ouran, where as it would take them a minute with the live action.