PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Policy?

Ryukka
11-26-2003, 08:53 PM
With only being to two cons, and never making a weapon for part of my costume I was just wondering about the weapon policy for AN and CNanime (as I'm assuming that they're policy would be simmalar to Toronto Anime's in March). I read through it at AN's site but I'm still a little confused.

If I were to use plastic chains spraypainted silver and wood (I'm making Selphie's FFVIII weapon) would I be able to get away with it? or would I have to use something else besides wood. I do have a real chain, but I'm trying to stay away from using it.

I wasn't sure if this should be posted in the costume forum, or hear so if it should be there please move it.

Mage
11-26-2003, 09:20 PM
I'm not part of the AN staff or anything, so I can't answer in official capacity, but it sounds like it would be okay, since I don't remember her weapon having any sharp bits or anything. I mean obviously, if you swung it around there'd be an issue, but I'm assuming there'll be none of that. :)

If in doubt, emailing the AN security team is your best bet to make 100% sure. ^_^ I think the main concern with the weapons policy is to avoid realistic weapons, sharp tools of maiming and destruction and projectile weapons.

Kia
11-26-2003, 09:39 PM
I'd also suggest looking through the board for similar topics b/c I could swear that there have been at least 3 or 4 other threads about this. There may be more answers for you there. ^_^

Kaijugal
11-27-2003, 12:48 AM
I know I've posted this before but:

Weapons

Real weapons and realistic copies of currently manufactured firearms are strictly prohibited. Please note: realistic model guns and "ninja" weapons such as "nunchukas" and "shurikens" are not only unwelcome at Anime North, but illegal under the Criminal Code of Canada. If your weapon is deemed unacceptable, you will be asked to leave it in your hotel room, or turn it over to security until you leave.

All prop/model weapons MUST be peace-bonded by Anime North Security staff, meaning fastened down in such a way that they cannot be drawn. If you plan to wear a weapon as part of a hall costume, report to the Security Office so they can peace bond it for you.

Allowances may be made for contestants to perform with weapons during the Masquerade, but you MUST ask permission from the Masquerade Director beforehand.

Drawing of weapons, horseplay or careless handling of weapons in public areas are not allowed and will result in loss of membership and expulsion from the convention.

Laser pointers are not harmless toys, they are capable of inflicting serious eye damage. Irresponsible use of a laser pointer will result in loss of membership and expulsion from the convention.

Water guns and projectiles are not allowed in convention space, any use of them in public will result in loss of membership and removal from the convention. All involved parties will be required to pay the cost of any property damages suffered by individuals, dealers or the hotel.
Many conventions have banned weapons altogether because of problems, we hope to avoid that with the cooperation of our attendees.

Ryukka
11-27-2003, 05:49 PM
Thanks ^_^ I think I'm gonna stick to the plastic chain, and I might use a cardboard tube and fill it with tissue paper or something.