PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk Marilyn Monroe?

candyintherain
08-16-2011, 11:14 PM
It was a random idea I had, my friend and I were talking about doing steampunk pin-up girls, but she kind of moved onto another idea, and I thought a steampunk celebrity would be cool! I'm not really sure how to go about it, though. I'd probably do a variation of her dress from the seven year itch because it's the most recognizable. I dunno, I'm not very creative. >.< Any suggestions on how to make it more steampunky?

Mehdia
08-17-2011, 12:06 AM
I don't have any tips off the top of my head, though I will share if I get any. But I saw the title of this topic and was like "Gotta read this!" Because I love both steampunk and Marilyn Monroe. I really like the idea of steampunk pin-ups though. That could be really interesting.

Stormraven24
08-17-2011, 02:02 PM
This is a great idea! I've got nothing on how to steamify (hey, I invent words!) her Seven-Year Itch dress, but you could always take her pink gown from "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" and deck it out in steampunk stuff (gears, cogs, watch faces, whatever else). And then run around singing "Airships are a girl's best friend!" or something xD

Shine-Chan
08-17-2011, 10:58 PM
I would avoid the stuck on random gears and watch faces. They are to steampunk what super shiny satin and thin cotton broadcloth are to cosplay. Ie you want to avoid them unless you are very good at useing them without it coming off as lazy and cheep.

What I would do is think about the concept you want to do. How do you want to steampunk Marilyn Monroe? Is she a singer in a vaudeville hall, a gold digging lady with a voice, A wind up singing doll? If you start with a strong idea you will end up with something that looks lots better than if you spangled it with gears like buck shot.

Mehdia
08-18-2011, 12:15 AM
I would avoid the stuck on random gears and watch faces. They are to steampunk what super shiny satin and thin cotton broadcloth are to cosplay. Ie you want to avoid them unless you are very good at useing them without it coming off as lazy and cheep.

What I would do is think about the concept you want to do. How do you want to steampunk Marilyn Monroe? Is she a singer in a vaudeville hall, a gold digging lady with a voice, A wind up singing doll? If you start with a strong idea you will end up with something that looks lots better than if you spangled it with gears like buck shot.

I totally agree with this. Sticking on random gears, clock faces, and goggles really cheapens a steampunk look. It's become so typical that it really makes it "costumey" and you don't want that.

I like the thought of getting a good idea of what you want her to be, then figure out how you can steampunk it without ruining the integrity of both the costume and Marilyn Monroe in general.

candyintherain
08-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Coming with characters/background stories is always the hardest thing for me! >.< I'll try to put some thought into this, though. Maybe there is a steampunk hollywood?

Ama Uzume
08-27-2011, 09:14 PM
Here, this thread should give you some ideas: http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,25178.0.html

If you ever have any questions, these fine steamers will be all too happy to help. :D

Sushi_ushi
08-28-2011, 04:45 AM

This all the way.
I think the wind up singing doll would be a really cute and unique spin of Marilyn Monroe!

Zeroh
09-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Yeah, the wind up doll version is a brilliant idea.

Mehdia
09-24-2011, 12:14 AM
I love the idea of a steampunk wind-up doll. I'm actually in the process of creating a wind-up doll cosplay for myself. I would love to see other peoples take on the idea.

thewolfelord
10-02-2011, 08:13 PM
wind up MM WOW fantastic Idea !!!!

Ororo Monroe
12-04-2011, 02:01 AM
If you decide on the windup Marilyn then please look at Girl Genius. They have some automaton there.