PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter robe fabric

SnapeFan24
08-17-2011, 05:15 PM
So I'm off to the fabric tomorrow and I have no idea what fabric to buy for my Gryffindor robe. I was looking at gabardine but I think it is too stretchy and costume feeling. I want my robes to be authentic looking but I am on a budget. Please also recommend how many yards of fabric I should buy, I am about 5 feet 8 inches and would like it to come down to my mid calf. Thank you!

CapsuleCorp
08-17-2011, 06:44 PM
There are plenty of robe patterns out there, take a look at one to see how much yardage you need for your size (your height is not the issue - your actual body measurements are).

Now, are you talking a movie-replica version or something of your own design like a book version? The school robes in the movie were made of wool. Possibly a suiting or, in the case of the winter cloaks, a worsted. "Gabardine" is a weave, not a type of fabric, you can have polyester gabardines or wool gabardines. By the way, I don't recommend poly gabardine, not because it stretches (it doesn't - quite the opposite) but because it doesn't iron well, doesn't hold any pleats or creases, and frays if you look at it wrong.

If you can't afford wool, a better option than a polyester substitute would be a cotton twill. It's a little heavier than you might want, but it flows very well and is very versatile. Most cotton bottomweights, except for Trigger, will do for a robe or cloak in a pinch. There may be some bottomweights which are, for all intents and purposes, twill, but aren't LABELED as twill so they end up being 3.99/yard instead of 6.99/yard.

If you're doing a movie replica, specifically from Prisoner of Azkaban onward, keep in mind that the school robes are lined with the house color - red in the case of Gryffindor. Any lightweight cotton will do for a lining, you don't have to get the polyester or acetate lining fabrics. In fact, a cotton broadcloth will probably look nicer lining another cotton.

Tom16
08-01-2012, 09:47 AM
There are plenty of robe patterns out there, take a look at one to see how much yardage you need for your size (your height is not the issue - your actual body measurements are).

Now, are you talking a movie-replica version or something of your own design like a book version? The school robes in the movie were made of wool. Possibly a suiting or, in the case of the winter cloaks, a worsted. "Gabardine" is a weave, not a type of fabric, you can have polyester gabardines or wool gabardines. By the way, I don't recommend poly gabardine, not because it stretches (it doesn't - quite the opposite) but because it doesn't iron well, doesn't hold any pleats or creases, and frays if you look at it wrong.

If you can't afford wool, a better option than a polyester substitute would be a cotton twill. It's a little heavier than you might want, but it flows very well and is very versatile. Most cotton bottomweights, except for Trigger, will do for a robe or cloak in a pinch. There may be some bottomweights which are, for all intents and purposes, twill, but aren't LABELED as twill so they end up being 3.99/yard instead of 6.99/yard.

If you're doing a movie replica, specifically from Prisoner of Azkaban onward, keep in mind that the school robes are lined with the house color - red in the case of Gryffindor. Any lightweight cotton will do for a lining, you don't have to get the polyester or acetate lining fabrics. In fact, a cotton broadcloth will probably look nicer lining another cotton.

Hey! I know its been like a year since this discussion but I just wanted to know how is it that you know that the robes were made out of wool??. Cuz Im starting to think (after looking at some images), that it could be wool but I want to make sure :)