PDA

View Full Version : Shield Question

Zan199
08-17-2011, 10:54 PM
This is the first prop I am trying to make and I am planing on making a Link's Master Shield and i was thinking about carving it out of foam (i got a big sheet for free) :) and i was going to paper mache it then paint it. I know wood would be better but i wanted to try this first.

wondering if anyone has experience with this method?

JasonTerror
08-17-2011, 11:06 PM
alltho i havent had much experience here..i can help u decide a little bit..right now im makeing the persona 3 evoker gun..it involes foar and paper mache..it worked for the person that posted the tutorial..but u may wanna do multiple layers first..make it a little thick..cut out the detailed raised parts glue them on..then paper mache it..then when that drys..gesso it up..let THAT dry..then prime and paint it..and to glue it u only need elmers white school glue..it should work..im pretty sure

Zan199
08-18-2011, 02:19 PM
ya that sounds about right. what would be good to prime it with? i have a water sealing prime i think.

JasonTerror
08-18-2011, 10:24 PM
well..what i have, i dont remember the name..i got it from lowes..i cant FIND the one i have..i sorta..lost it..lol but just go to lowes (or any hardware store) and ask for paint primmer..and tell them what ur doing step by step, they will recommend the right one for the job..the one that will work best over gesso..o also when u use the gesso..get a scraper like this: http://www.toolsandhardwaredirect.co.uk/catalogue.php?cat=504&subCat=1076&item_id=5588
or something similar..this one would work good for smaller props..like the gun im making..for a shield like links..u may need a few..all different sizes (they can come in a veriety pack) u can get these for super cheap at micheals..if u plan on using it more then a couple times get a metal one..so dip it into the gesso jar and get some on it then smooth it accross the surface of the sheild

Zan199
08-19-2011, 10:44 PM
ok great thanks for the help and ideas. :) I will defiantly be looking in to that.

JasonTerror
08-20-2011, 09:46 AM
yea..o and i found that primmer..but its a wood primer..so i wouldnt reccommend it even i told u what its called..if u were using wood i would tho..well hey u should post up some progress let me see how it turns out and all, or if u have questions let me know and ill try to help..u can also PM me if u REALLY need me but i check all the threads i post on alot..also either tonight or tomorrow im gona paper mache my alice knife since its small and gesso it the next day..ill let u see that too so u know what its like

EonDragonX
08-21-2011, 08:48 PM
You could always use foam core, paint and foam sheets. Just cut out the design, paint it blue, cut out the shapes (Triforce, eagle etc.) Past eit, Cut out another peice that goes around the edge, paint it a silver color, attach it and your done!

Zan199
08-22-2011, 11:41 PM
I will defenitly get pics up when i get it started. thx for all the help you guys :)