PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk-ing a character?

LK1721
08-18-2011, 08:20 PM
So, for my local convention there is a charity cafe each year with a theme. This year is steampunk so all the volunteers are supposed to dress up in the style, but I really don't know where to start!

Here's the character I'm cosplaying. (http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac110/LK1721/1295031416656-1.jpg)
I know next to nothing about the ways of victorian/steampunk fashion, and I'm assuming just sticking some gears here and there isn't all there is to it. I thought about perhaps making a white vest with these pretty silver buttons I have sitting around, but not much else in terms of ideas.

I would really appreciate any help that could be given on this!

[EDIT]Silly me, I should've added character traits in the first place. She's a very intelligent, graceful and cold person. I also forgot to mention that she has a shield (http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac110/LK1721/Homura_shield.png) that she uses to stop time. She usually uses modern firearms.

Mehdia
08-18-2011, 10:55 PM
To give those that want to help you some info, what type of character is she? That will help get ideas for accessories and clothing that you can do for the costume.

LK1721
08-18-2011, 11:09 PM
To give those that want to help you some info, what type of character is she? That will help get ideas for accessories and clothing that you can do for the costume.

Oh sorry. She's a very intelligent, graceful and cold person. I also forgot to mention that she has a shield (http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac110/LK1721/Homura_shield.png) that she uses to stop time. She usually uses modern firearms.

StarlightJumper
08-19-2011, 03:45 AM
I would suggest maybe having the shield, with antique-looking brass clock-hands. Also, I know you say usually it's modern firearms, but that's the place you could really go wild turning her steampunk. I'd look up some steampunk guns and try for a look similar to that rather than doing modern guns, personally. Especially since you're punking her up to begin with. I would also suggest more brassy buttons than the silver ones, although if the silver look antique it'd be best. Some sort of ornate-looking chain or backing for the jewel on her hand could also fit in nicely.
Basically, steampunk is a setting where the world is run on steam rather than electicity or coal. A simple way you can try to come up with ideas is to plunk the character down into that world. Think about what would be different about her, and how she'd have to adapt to fit in.

Mehdia
08-19-2011, 07:02 AM
I think you could turn the skirt of her outfit into more of a bustle skirt, leaving the points of the jacket long and let them drape over the skirt. I would go with antiqued silver for all of the accessories. The shield I would also do in the silver. The picture you linked looks like it's already got some cogs on it, so then you could add the clock hands to it like StarlightJumper said. Those wouldn't look just stuck on since she stops time. As for the firearms, you can look at both modern and steampunk weaponry and modify accordingly. I would look at firearms of the time and see if something looked like what she uses and then add some steampunkness to them. Her hair seems to be something that would signify who she is, but I would try for some sort of updo since women rarely wore their hair completely down in the Victorian era.

StarlightJumper
08-20-2011, 03:58 AM
I like the idea of the bustle skirt. I also think you could make the jacket fit a little closer in the waist and look a little more like a vest, or a corset if you want to get fancy. Not much modification there, but you can get away with some.

LK1721
08-20-2011, 04:01 PM
These are all really good ideas! Guess I'll go purchase some more material for the bustle skirt. Thank you both very much :D