PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Rex cosplay

Kozeken
08-22-2011, 12:31 AM
I've been pondering the concept of a metal gear rex cosplay for quite a while now. I have created a model of metal gear rex via papercraft ( Model printed out on a computer that you cut and paste together very small and very tedious.) i've also have saved files of metal gear twins snakes,saved just before battling rex so i can reference it in live action at anytime. (game cube) and metal gear sons of the patriots, saved where you are able to pilot rex.

Plan that i have put into actions thus far involves using very light weight PVC pipe to make a skeleton i had the legs almost finished and the idea seams sound, but i have come into a major predicament. I'm not sure how to apply skins to the pvc skeleton i have thought about using fabric that i can make tight around the frame, but i'm not sure i will be able to put suffecient detail into it. I am going to add some pictures of what i have so far anyone who has any ideas or experience please help me! ( i want to shy away from using cardboard or anything else water can destroy.)

rj_sosongco
08-22-2011, 01:26 AM
I've been thinking of a Rex cosplay as well. One of my early schematics is located on dA here (http://effektdmentality.deviantart.com/gallery/32016885#/d3idszj).

Even though you said you wanted to shy away from it, I'd say cardboard would actually be your best bet as far as being light, giving you planar surfaces, and being easy to work. And with your papercraft Rex, you'd just have to scale up the measurements and find appropriately large pieces of cardboard (try Costco or your equivalent wholesale place). As for waterproofing, I'm sure that if you use a good sealant, fibreglass, or possibly throw some glue-based paper mache on it, it would be sufficiently waterproof.

Kozeken
08-22-2011, 11:42 AM
your blueprints are genius, and for cardboard would you just break down the boxes and cut them to size?

supergeekgirl
08-22-2011, 11:49 AM
I would totally go with plastic sheets instead of cardboard. They're a lot easier to transport because they aren't as fragile, and they can be shaped with a heat gun for rounded edges. Also, you can weld plastic together.

I like polypropylene, but there are other plastics you can use.

I've also seen a guy do something similar (a White Glint cosplay) from sheet metal, and it was beauteous!

Kozeken
08-22-2011, 11:52 AM
What type of plastic sheets, and do you have any place that you can suggest any locations where i can purchase them?

Kozeken
08-22-2011, 12:16 PM
This is one of my original ideas looking at it now i realize the back part of the leg needs to be made into more of a point rather than it's current square form.

precious
08-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Try looking into styrene. Most plastic shops have it and sell it in scrap bins for cheap, so use google to find plastic shops near you.

supergeekgirl
08-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Most big cities have a plastic shop. You can also get it from Grainger, but it runs expensive there.

Kozeken
08-24-2011, 08:03 PM
I found where to get styrene it looks and feels perfect i will be starting on the rex cosplay in september and hope to finish it by November thank you all for your help i'll be uploading pictures to show progress!