PDA

View Full Version : Brown bess Musket

Tatsu-chan
08-22-2011, 11:18 PM
So plan to do n the very near future essentially a redcoat cosplay from the revolutionary war. I am set with the coat and whatnot but I have a problem. The gun. I found out through some research that it s called a brown bess or land pattern musket but I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get something close enough replica without breaking the bank and if anyone had tips on how to do the bayonet that would be really awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Bess

and does anyone know where I would be able to find the white musket holster or how to make one(or even what they are called) would be extremely helpful. Thank you and I appologize I am still rather new to this

Scorpion89
08-23-2011, 04:00 PM
So plan to do n the very near future essentially a redcoat cosplay from the revolutionary war. I am set with the coat and whatnot but I have a problem. The gun. I found out through some research that it s called a brown bess or land pattern musket but I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get something close enough replica without breaking the bank and if anyone had tips on how to do the bayonet that would be really awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Bess

and does anyone know where I would be able to find the white musket holster or how to make one(or even what they are called) would be extremely helpful. Thank you and I appologize I am still rather new to this

What do you consider breaking the bank first off second most Brown Bess that are out their you will not be able to bring into any Cons.

Typical price range for BB with Bayonet runs between 175 to 250 depending on what you want.

I do Rev War re-acting so I might be able to help you with items.

Tatsu-chan
08-23-2011, 05:32 PM
What do you consider breaking the bank first off second most Brown Bess that are out their you will not be able to bring into any Cons.

Typical price range for BB with Bayonet runs between 175 to 250 depending on what you want.

I do Rev War re-acting so I might be able to help you with items.

yeah anything over 200 is definitely out of my price range. I'm going to college right now so funds aren't exactly unlimited but if I can find something that looks good enough without being live I would be pretty happy with. guess what I need is probably something stage prop acceptable. I could even alter something if I could find something that was a bit more towards reasonable but had imperfections. I'm not so dedicated to accuracy that I need it to be to the t perfect(such as since it is just a prop am okay with it having a round barrel as opposed to the octagonal barrel) although I would be okay with making it if you had an idea of where to start.

thank you very much by the way

Scorpion89
08-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Here is one for you to look at, I have a few of their side arm nice company good quality.

http://www.aurorahistoryboutique.com/Brown-Bess-Rifle-with-bayonet~C000077.cfm

Tatsu-chan
08-23-2011, 08:34 PM
Here is one for you to look at, I have a few of their side arm nice company good quality.

http://www.aurorahistoryboutique.com/Brown-Bess-Rifle-with-bayonet~C000077.cfm

OOH! I really like that! I will keep it n mind for a possible christmas present for solo pics but I think I'm gonna try making one snce I remembered my friend who is cosplaying this with me and also needs one will probably not be able to afford it so I'll see if I can work out how to make it and save a few hay pennies

Scorpion89
08-23-2011, 09:06 PM
OOH! I really like that! I will keep it n mind for a possible christmas present for solo pics but I think I'm gonna try making one snce I remembered my friend who is cosplaying this with me and also needs one will probably not be able to afford it so I'll see if I can work out how to make it and save a few hay pennies

Well you can buy the stock and barrel let me look at my DixieGun Cat to see the price also look into any Rev War reacting groups near you.

Have you decide what unit you plan on doing if not take some time and look at the different units and times don't forget that the Rev War was over a long period and the English change their Uniforms atleast 6 different times. Also have you decide what type of unit IE Regulars,Colon Loyalist,Mercs,Artillery,Cav

Also if I can find it I'll post the company that has patterns for making all the leather items that you will need, IE Cartridge Holder, Musket Strap

Ironhill
08-23-2011, 10:04 PM
When I was last at Valley Forge National Historic Park, they had toy guns in the gift shop. These did not look like the muskets that Scorpion listed but they were only $20 or something like that. Maybe you could start with them and make it look more acurate.

Tatsu-chan
08-24-2011, 02:25 AM
my friend and I had an idea. We had an idea for how to make the stock and barrel and even the bayonet however I had an idea I wanted to run by you guys. It seems my biggest problem is the finding of the lock for less than 80 dollars. If we can't find an actual one(not to mention the trigger bit(sorry not up on gun terminology would t be so bad to harvest some decently sized ones from toy or prop guns we might find for decent prices? I noticed a lot of the toy flintlocks seem to have the problem of not being long enough though they look decently sized. Its just an idea

Lady Barbossa
12-05-2011, 01:34 AM
Hi, also a Rev War reenactor myself. I was with the NWTA until I went into a hiatus.

I guess.... depends upon what sort of Bess you are looking for? Functional or non-functional, a 1st or 3rd edition? Would you settle for something else? The other would be, what Regiment are you portraying as that's often key when in Reenacting. Regiments have specific weapons just as much as the uniforms have those tiny little details that are specific to a regiment or company.

And lastly... Welcome to the wonderful world of reenacting. You are officially addicted now, aren't ya? :) Once you've been hooked, there is NO going back. LOL

~Lady B