PDA

View Full Version : Portal Gun

EKristiansen89
09-01-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm going as a test subject from Portal to acen in Chicago next year and I do know how to create a portal gun for about $50 but I'm wondering firstly if I can buy one or if I can find a way to have both blue and orange lights

Hakkari
09-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Well, the cheapest portal gun you can buy (that I know of) is roughly $1000~

It's a beautiful replica, but it's pretty pricy. You would be better off making one yourself.

verdatum
09-01-2011, 02:29 PM
It's pretty easy to build a circuit that can switch between blue and orange lights. You put blue and orange LEDs in a closed chamber in the rear of the gun. The shaft in the center of the gun is acrylic rod. You build or obtain a sort of Y-joint in clear resin, so that one end butts up against the blue LED, the other end against the orange, the third against the acrylic rod. The light will get channeled down the shaft. If you scuff the shaft, like with a scouring pad, it'll make the length of the shaft glow.

You can skip the y-joint and just position the LEDs as close as possible to the rod in a closed box. It just won't look as bright and stunning. If the LEDs are small, and have no heat-sink, you can just butt them up against eachother, but they also won't be too bright. You ideally wanna use something like the Philips Luxeon Star LEDs like the ones used in custom lightsabers.

Then it's just a matter of adding the circuitry, and a simple switch to flip between orange, blue, and off. either a 3-position switch (off, blue, orange), or two 2-position switches, (on/off and blue/orange). The circuit is pretty much just a battery and a resistor, but follow an LED tutorial for details.