PDA

View Full Version : At a bit of a loss here...

MagdaleneDaae
09-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Alright, so I have a dilemma....I'm involved in a Renault Mograine/Sally Whitemane shipping photoshoot for a Warcraft cosplay group (I am cosplaying as Whitemane for it) and it's not erotic or sexual, just semi-romantic. The problem is, we need to be able to do the shoot in a chapel of some kind...I did the math and at best my group could scrape together a small 'donation' of $50-$100 for the church that would allow our shoot if need be. The Philly art museum would have allowed it for free because I work at a place that they work closely with, but even I with my connections am not allowed to cross the barriers into the actual exhibit set up, so that wouldn't quite work. Now, I live in Philly and I wander all the time, but I'm not really all that religious so I don't often enter churches and am not really sure what each Christianity branch's policy is on taking pictures in God's house or what ever exactly it is that church is meant to be (meaning no disrespect, just not sure on the whole thing).

Anyway, does anyone know of a church that would allow a photoshoot to happen there free of charge on an off day? Or, barring that, one that would accept a small donation for a photoshoot to occur? It would have to be in the Philadelphia area or easily accessible from Philly via train. Any help at all would be SO greatly appreciated.

-Nayami-
09-27-2011, 08:46 PM
I've done a photoshoot at a church (http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/191908/) before, free of charge. My friend and photographer emailed the church before hand seeking permission. She let them know that we would be in costume and might look "weird." We set up a time when there wouldn't be a service.

At the church we went to, we were given pretty much free reign to photograph, as long as we did not take pictures of the altar. We were as respectful as possible, and we did our shoot fairly quickly, making sure we gave our thanks to the owner's and staff of the church. The staff even provided suggestions for what would be nice backdrops for some of our shots.

I should mention that none of us were affiliated with the church we shot at in any way.

All-in-all, my suggestion would be for you to email a church before hand and go from there. If they say no, try another church in the area.