PDA

View Full Version : Tokko-fuku in the US?

Rurouni-Idoru
09-09-2011, 01:01 AM
So I've got a cosplay plan that requires a tokko-fuku, or a kamikaze uniform. Basically, what the motorcycle delinquents wear in older anime; the long white jacket specifically. I've found out a lot about them and their history and that they're still fairly readily available in Japan. However, I live in the US, and I can find no supplier over here, and no Japanese supplier who will ship that far. (Or at least, that's what Google translate tells me.) This jacket (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?act=url&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ja&tl=en&twu=1&u=http://www.pros-online.jp/tkxcgi/shop/goods_detail.cgi%3FGoodsID%3D00000096&usg=ALkJrhiPU4UNcywkl-lO-hHjO632sSpBBg) is pretty much perfect for my uses, from what I can tell.

So my options are, either find a place to buy it online that will ship to me, or make it myself. I'd prefer to buy it pre-made, but if that's not possible, pattern and/or fabric recommendations would be nice.

Thanks in advance!

Ironhill
09-10-2011, 10:15 AM
I recently made a labcoat using Simplicity pattern 5443. This looks like a good starting point.

Rurouni-Idoru
09-13-2011, 10:23 PM
I actually had bookmarked that pattern to buy for another cosplay that does require a labcoat--now that I look, the pants would be helpful to have too. :crylaugh:

However, the collar's different from what I need: the character has two points on each "wing" of the collar; the lab coat only has one. Plus, the tokko-fuku has those little epaulet-type things on the shoulders, and different pockets. I know these are sort of minor details, but this is my first time sewing a top/jacket from scratch, so I'm not keen on experimenting too too much where I don't have to, especially in the shoulder and collar region.

Scorpion89
09-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Try ebay

Rurouni-Idoru
09-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Not that I'm ungrateful, but Ebay was one of the first places I looked, using a whole host of different keywords that amounted to nothing: "tokko fuku," "kamikaze jacket," "suicide jacket," "japanese delinquent," even the incredibly vague "japanese jacket," but none of them gave me what I'm looking for. Do you happen to know of a seller who supplies them who I might have missed, or different keywords I might have better luck with?