PDA

View Full Version : Wooden sword prop question (PotC costume)

MythrilDragon
09-10-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm making this (http://www.costumersguide.com/potc3/hires20.jpg) costume, and since I'm don't have the time or the skill to make a prop sword from scratch, I'm thinking of using a wooden taichi sword and painting/decorating it. It doesn't have to look perfect, but does anyone have suggestions for a good sword to use (and a reliable place to get it)? A scabbard, while it would be nice to have, isn't completely necessary either.
Also, what would be the best way to go about painting it? I have some limited experience with craft foam but not wood. Again, it doesn't have to be completely perfect/accurate but I mainly just want something that would look decent and somewhat in character with the costume.

I'd like to use wood because of rules/constraints on props at certain conventions. It can't be metal.

Thanks!

Nachoman
09-10-2011, 04:41 PM
I really wish people would learn how to use the "Search" button.

MythrilDragon
09-10-2011, 06:08 PM
I've been able to find information about painting them, but even after searching I still haven't found much good advice about where specifically to get a decent wooden taichi/taiji practice sword that's good for painting. Most sword tutorials and stores that I've found focus more on katanas, Western swords, etc. There are sites that sell these wooden tai chi swords, but does anybody here have any opinions about which of these websites and/or swords are the best (or know any threads where these swords are discussed)?

Nachoman
09-10-2011, 07:12 PM
There is no such thing as "good for painting". Buy any wooden sword that looks accurate enough on shape and size, then you finish it:
If it comes unvarnished: sand lightly, then apply a layer of wood sealant, then sand lightly again, then apply a second layer of wood sealant, then sand lightly again, then apply a layer of paint primer, then sand lightly again, then apply a second layer of paint primer, then sand lightly, then paint your first layer of your paint, then sand lightly again, then paint two or three more layers of your paint. And don't skip any sanding step.
If it comes varnished: Sand lightly, then apply a first layer of paint primer, then sand lightly, then apply a second layer of paint primer, then sand lightly, then apply the first layer of paint, then sand lightly, then apply two or three more layers of paint. And don't skip any sanding step.

Did I mention that you'll run through fine-grit sandpaper like a kid through candy?