PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Altair weapons!

Athenabear
09-15-2011, 11:42 AM
So I've read up on making weapons out of insulator foam, cutting it out, sanding it, sealing it, painting it, etc., but I live in an apartment complex and don't have any outdoor space I can use (they won't let me work on this stuff in front of my building), and don't have any indoor space that's large enough/well insulated enough for this stuff. I don't have any access to large power tools either.

In short: Is there an easier, faster, less messy way to make Altair's weapons out of foam (mainly his throwing knives, main sword, and sword on his back)? Maybe a craft foam method?

Any thoughts/suggestions would help! thank you!

xSilentAssassin
09-15-2011, 02:38 PM
I know they sell replica weapons of Altair's sword and Short Blade in latex, but not of the throwing knives. The rest are made of metal. They look nice, I hope this helps!

Athenabear
09-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Thanks, I know they sell the replica latex sword and uggghhghg it's so expensive! (for me anyway). I want to avoid buying any replica costume parts - so far so good, but I may just have to if I can't figure out a decent way to make my own sword.

fev
09-15-2011, 10:37 PM
insulation foam isn't strong at all, I'd recommend wood!

*grunts n' points*
http://www.fevereon.com/costuming/altair/daggers.php

Athenabear
09-16-2011, 01:53 AM
Fev, do you know where I can get the wood you used poplar? Is it available at local stores like Home Depot (prob. not I'm guessing) or would I have to special order it? And if so, from where would you recommend (with a speedy shipping available, I need to make these asap).

Thank you - I'm hoping I can make the weapons this way!

fev
09-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Home Depot carries poplar.. Look for the smaller 1/4 " thick planks that come in 3-4 foot lengths for the daggers..

The short sword was done with 1/2 inch poplar.