PDA

View Full Version : Where told hold wallets, keys, phone, etc.

SARtheMastr
12-02-2003, 09:49 AM
Where do the rest of you guys hold your important items such as phones and a wallet and keys. I know that when I do my Dark Magician Girl crossplay, I really don't want to hold a purse and she sure as heck doesn't have pockets...any ideas???

Mizuno Tenshi
12-02-2003, 10:23 AM
Where do the rest of you guys hold your important items such as phones and a wallet and keys. I know that when I do my Dark Magician Girl crossplay, I really don't want to hold a purse and she sure as heck doesn't have pockets...any ideas???

Got a picture of the costume? I'm sure we could find somewhere to put pockets... but... you could always put money and card in your bra... keys around your neck (or tied around a le, maybe...) and phone... well, that one you'd need a pocket for, depending on how large it is. ^_^

Tenshi

P.S. Purses are not that bad... just remember that you have it, and try and match. Or... you could get a cool anime logo bag (one of the small ones), and go with that.

Gren
12-02-2003, 10:43 AM
I like recruiting a friend to carry my stuff for me. XD

Menchi
12-02-2003, 12:09 PM
its called a purse or small bag? i dont know if a girl can carry one why not a crossplayer? then again i just woke up ^^;;

BIOJECT
12-02-2003, 12:42 PM
For my Deedlit costume I'm going to add a pouch on the right side. It won't actually be part of the costume but it will hold all of my stuff. You could try something like that?

Mizuno Tenshi
12-02-2003, 01:57 PM
Wait... I know the perfect place to carry everything...

HAMMERSPACE!

^-^

Tenshi

Goth Kitty 22
12-02-2003, 05:19 PM
I bought these sport wallets that wrap around your wrist. It isn't really flat, but will hide under a long sleeved costume.

CapsuleCorp
12-02-2003, 09:17 PM
I'm trying to think of DMG's costume possibilities... hmm. She doesn't have sleeves, does she have gauntlets? The skirt's too short to hide anything under. Maybe a pouch, like BIOJECT suggested, made to be worn on the back side of the costume, at your waist?

I usually don't have that problem because I've learned to build pockets into all my costumes, but I do still have the issue with my can-can dress. I was thinking of making a secret pocket on the inside of my black satin bloomers, just big enough to hold a hotel key, ID, some cash. Anything bigger and heavier (like phones or cameras) though, yikes. Not under there. :) But DMG doesn't have underthings quite the same, so that idea wouldn't work.

What about making her staff hollow? :D

Eleryth
12-02-2003, 09:34 PM
I say go with the matching or anime purse. She's a girl and can have a lot of accessories. :)

Besides, for photos you will most likely put down whatever you have in your hands, anyway (dealers room goodies, freebies from singing in...), right?

Failing all that, the friends route works too. I usually get one of my male friends to carry stuff, because most of their costumes have pants for pockets.

digikoomi
12-02-2003, 10:29 PM
you can always carry school bag, suit case. just put it on the side while you are taking photos

LunarYoma
12-03-2003, 12:04 AM

I used my camera caring case to carry my stuff when i crossplayed.

L to the 3rd
12-03-2003, 04:04 PM
in yer hat? lol.

MoonLitDemon2
12-03-2003, 06:49 PM
something you could do is you could make a hiden pouch or something, or somethign u could do is make a little purse thing (like the little bag type once were u pull the string to make ait close) and u can have it match her outfit and just call it an exsesory (i can't spell) i know she doesn't have one (i love her she's one of my fav duel monsters) but hey as long as it kinda goes with the costume or character.... i mean i'm sure if the DM girl was really walking around boston should would have a cute little purse or something to carry things around ^_^ .... and something that would match her outfit lol.....

Pochi
12-03-2003, 09:15 PM
I typically stick my keys and cash in my socks or shoes. In the
ankle or beside the foot.

You can also buy clear pocket clip-on badge holders- put your
con badge in front and you room key, cash & credit cards behind it.

THE Naru
12-27-2003, 03:43 PM
the few times i've ever crossplayed (while hiding behind my friends lol) I brought a matching purse and (to my suprise) since everyone completely thought I was a girl no one said anything about a boy caring a purse lol but i doubt anyone would so just use a purse (I think I already have to many for my own good _ _' )

topleka
12-31-2003, 07:22 PM
You could put some sort of pouch in your boots, I think. She's got hugely wide boots, so it shouldn't look abnormal, I don't think.

CriCri
01-02-2004, 09:59 PM
sorry, i know this is crossplay but i was browsing around. For my Lulu costume, I am adding an inside pouch into my moogle or cactuar. Pretty much any plushie or stuffed animal as a prop handmade is pretty decent to insert a small pouch into it's back or whatnot.

AlikNyankoChan
01-02-2004, 11:44 PM
Well, why don't you want to wear a purse...without any embellishments, it's essentially just a small bag. Just make one to match your costume out of scraps and it'll look great ^^

Otherwise, just put it in your bra.

~Alik-Nyanko

CapsuleCorp
01-03-2004, 03:26 PM
I suppose the problem with a purse is that it would be out of character for Dark Magician Girl. She's a Duel Monster, not a schoolgirl. :) But topleka's right - she does have large boots, also a freaky hat and a big staff. The hat might not be workable, but other parts of her costume might have areas where a small pouch or pocket could be worked in. I thought of the staff right away, but boots might be a better option.

Or how about a small pocket on the back side of the big pendant stuck to the front of her dress? Sticking it in your bodice gave me that brainstorm. DMG has a pentagram pendant smack in the front there, but I suppose depending on how big you make that, any pouch behind it would only be big enough to carry a hotel room key and maybe some cash. Larger items like a camera or phone...start looking at that staff. ;)

Hanyaan
01-03-2004, 06:58 PM
There are plenty of purses that you can carry that won't detract from the costume. Just pick one with similar lines to the design of the character, or just one with very simple and clean lines. Try your local mega-discount store for purses. XD (You can always claim it's "a gift for your girlfriend"!)

Ami
01-06-2004, 05:50 PM
what i usally do is clip it on the inside of the costume or leave it in a safe place that i can get at if nessicary

Chun Li
01-13-2004, 07:23 AM
Hidden Pockets-In Boots In Cape-lineing in skirts. Personaly for my lina Inverse Costume im gonna put A Huge bocket in the cape lineing. Transportation of all your things is always somthing to concider when doing a costume, personaly in my group we always have someone do a costume with a backpack. Hence my friend mezoku priest cosplaying ryoga and xellos being the packmule and my non cosplaying brother being the pack mule. so yeah hidden pockets are a good idea

topleka
01-14-2004, 10:30 PM
Or find a friend. When I go as Kurama, my lovely cosplay friend will be Botan, and you know how much nice space is in those sleeves. XD

So hidden pockets (DMG's got a lot of space...her boots, staff...or ::ahem:: chest would work), or find a friend who can carry stuff for you.

dani
01-14-2004, 10:44 PM
So hidden pockets (DMG's got a lot of space...her boots, staff...or ::ahem:: chest would work).

That would be something:

- "Your lunch will be $20, miss Sailor Venus"

- "One second... let me check my left bra .... car keys... calculator... hair curler... Can you hold this for a sec, please? thanks... credit cards .... oh, here is that parking ticket I couldn't find... nope. Must be the other one, let's see... driver's license (don't look that the pic) ... half sandwich leftover from lunch... my camera .... my flash!, i've been looking for it all day... and... here is the money! $20 you said? here... you have a box so I can move all this stuff out of the way? I dont want to tie up the whole cafeteria lineup while I put all this back inside..."

Dani

Ookami
01-14-2004, 11:36 PM
As for the money, you could put that in your bra. Though by the end of your day your chest would be full of spare change, and be making weird noises...Ok, BAD idea! :waaaah:

AlikNyankoChan
01-14-2004, 11:48 PM
Hey, I put my wallet(keycard too if at con..) and change purse in my bra once in awhile...nobody ever even blinks if I take it out for a purchase:P

~Alik

topleka
01-15-2004, 09:40 PM
That would be something:

- "Your lunch will be $20, miss Sailor Venus"

- "One second... let me check my left bra .... car keys... calculator... hair curler... Can you hold this for a sec, please? thanks... credit cards .... oh, here is that parking ticket I couldn't find... nope. Must be the other one, let's see... driver's license (don't look that the pic) ... half sandwich leftover from lunch... my camera .... my flash!, i've been looking for it all day... and... here is the money! $20 you said? here... you have a box so I can move all this stuff out of the way? I dont want to tie up the whole cafeteria lineup while I put all this back inside..."

Dani

XD Actually, I had an experience sorta like that. When I was cosplaying Umi, I had a pocket in my shirt, underneath her outer jacket. Being the only person in the group with a pocket, I kept the room keys. So here I am standing in the hallway with my hand down my shirt...
"Hang on guys, I'm sure it's here somewhere."
"Are you sure it didn't fall out?"
"It didn't fall out. You'd think someone would have noticed."

CapsuleCorp
01-15-2004, 10:05 PM
ROTFLMAO, dani!!!! :D

topleka - the nice thing about Kurama is that all his pants have pockets. Hell, half the time he's just standing around with his hands in his pockets, so you know he's got the place to store the stuff. :) Dude, as a Hiei cosplayer, I'm positively tickled to see all these Kurama cosplayers coming out of the woodwork. Show me pics, people! ;)

All I know is, all my costumes from now on will have pockets somewhere. I've made that vow to myself. Even if it's a hidden pocket inside some weird piece of clothing.

BountyBebopLuva
01-15-2004, 10:53 PM
This thread is helping me with my Olivier costume problem. ^^

Nine
01-17-2004, 02:07 PM
Well, for me it all depends on what costume I'm wearing.

I try to add hidden pockets wherever I can, but on some costumes that can't have those, I improvise.

For my Lulu costume, I carried everything in my cleavage. It hid well, and because of the buster, it held everything very well.

For costumes that have skirts, like my BT costume, I wear shorts underneath it, so I keep my stuff in there.

For costumes that I can't put pockets in, like my Naga costume, I just get a friend of mine to carry my stuff. :D

MBC Hoshi-kun
01-18-2004, 10:35 PM
What about female crossplayers, like me? I'm cosplaying Heero Yuy at my first con, Katsu in February... Normally you'd think it wouldn't be a problem, but those skin-tight shorts! O.o I dunno what to do.. unless i make my b/f carry all my stuff, but that's kinda mean ^_^''' anyway, suggestions?

allyunion
01-19-2004, 04:20 AM
If you can't fit it on yourself, then put it in a special carry bag that you carry with you. When you take pictures, ask your friend or boyfriend to hold it for you until picture taken is over.

My general advice is to keep a thin wallet... then either pocket it, or figure out a way to keep it out of sight... otherwise, you could always use one of those underneath travel money belts and keep the money there with whatever else you need. Besides, for Heero, I think that would be semi-normal ^^;;

For anyone who wears a Hakama, this is my trick: I wear pants or shorts underneath the hakama, then put my wallet in the pocket of the shorts/pants underneath the hakama. The other way would be to have a shirt pocket under the top part of the costume, which also works....

DeirdraMaeron
01-25-2004, 08:50 PM
Yeah, for Heero a nice C4 filled duffel bag would be perfectly normal...lol. Gotta love him, even if he'd kill you for it.

Hmm....This is something I hadn't considered before (newbie here). I'm glad I found this thread before I finalized my costumes. *starts pondering where to put pockets or if she can get away with a purse*

*mental picture* Alucard with a purse? @_@' EEK!!!!!! Okay, new plan methinks.

I can't go anywhere without my purse. I carry my money, medecine, sunglasses, and a bunch of other stuff (that is all very important) in there. Stuff that will be no less impoprtant if I happen to be dressed as a guy. What to do? What sort of bag or container might I be able to carry as Alucard (or Kurama...I hope to do both so a multi-purpose thing would be good but not essential). Preferably something that wouldn't be too out of character...Hmm...*thinks*

CapsuleCorp
01-26-2004, 09:41 PM
Well, as Alucard, if you're wearing the full coat, you can get away with nice deep pockets inside the coat - invisible from outside. I don't know that a bag would work with Kurama, unfortunately...he is a pretty boy, but not the bag type. Anything that won't fit in your pants pockets...hmm.

Well, I guess it doesn't totally matter, if the bag is not actually part of the costume and you plan to set it down whenever a photo op comes up. But a more "manly" type of bag, like a plain sort of mini-backpack you can sling over your shoulder, would fit better than a real purse.

Fault
01-27-2004, 01:36 AM
Whew.. all this trouble. I'm starting to be more and more pleased about going into Gothic Lolita, it's not strange to lug around massive carpet bags or doctor's bags when you're dressed like that.

I'm wondering, with some anime, might it be possible to make a bag of some sort which the character was seen with for one episode only, or for a short time only? Things like Lina Inverse with a treasure sack or Ed with toast/halloween pumpkin. That way it's still in character.

DeirdraMaeron
01-27-2004, 11:44 AM
I have a courrier bag with a skull and crossbones on it that I carry as my purse usually. I guess I could carry that with my Alucard costume. Kurama could have a school bag or something I guess....oh well, I'll figure it out I guess.

Sure, Fault. I think that just adds a unique aspect to the costume. It's always nice to see something that wasn't in every episode.

CapsuleCorp
01-27-2004, 08:43 PM
Ahhhhhh schoolbag...hadn't thought of that. That's a great idea for Kurama! Like the school briefcases all the other kids carry.

(of course, you do realize that as Hiei, I stalk all Kurama cosplayers? :D)

DeirdraMaeron
01-27-2004, 09:15 PM
Lol...well, I really can't blame you, CapsuleCorp. Kurama's such a fox....rofl

Oh dear. MUST. STOP. THE. TERRIBLE. PUNS!! Also, I'm likely to be stalking Hiei cosplayers so it's only fair. Happy stalking!!

Now, I just have to figure out where to get one of those cool briefcase/schoolbag thingies. Anybody know?

Ragresen
01-28-2004, 08:13 AM
Well I am really struggleing to figure out where I am going to keep a little money and a room key when I Crossplay Harle at Katsucon. I am seriously considering useing one of my Autorace ticket holders to hold all that and my con badge.

dani
01-28-2004, 08:30 AM
Well I am really struggleing to figure out where I am going to keep a little money and a room key when I Crossplay Harle at Katsucon.
If you post a pic we could try to think of suggestions...

Dani

Beware_UY7
01-28-2004, 08:44 AM
School bags? Office Depot should have should like what you're looking for. I know how people feel about the whole thing, though. I carry around everything: glasses, contacts, makeup, phone, keys, money, old ticket stubs that I haven't cleaned out of my purse, pens, pencils, bass clarinet reeds. It's crazy.
So, as I wont want all of that junk in my pockets... I'm going to be crossplaying FFVII: AC Cloud... what kind of bag would he carry around? He himself carries around all his crap (and nine different swords) in his motorcycle... so that's obviously not going to work for me... Throw suggestions my way.

dani
01-28-2004, 08:52 AM
I'm going to be crossplaying FFVII: AC Cloud... what kind of bag would he carry around? He himself carries around all his crap (and nine different swords) in his motorcycle... so that's obviously not going to work for me... Throw suggestions my way.
There are those kind of motorcycle bags, with two sections at the sides and a strap in the middle that hangs on the seat, like a saddle. If your guy rides a bike that would keep you in character, i'd guess.

Enjoy
Dani

Anele
01-28-2004, 10:20 AM
I think 'tis time I posted here. How would you store money in a Sephiroth costume? o.O

Fault
01-28-2004, 08:04 PM
Mmmm Sephiroth... I know, carry around the severed head of Jenova and keep all your stuff in there. Else you could try to put a pocket somewhere in his big flowy coat.

CapsuleCorp
01-28-2004, 09:36 PM
*raises glass in toast* Happy stalking indeed, Deirdra! :D

I'll ponder on the question, Ragresen, but I would probably need to see the reference picture again. I do remember there not being a lot of places to hide pockets - an extra holder on your badge might be your only option.

Random pocket advice of the day: any character with a large coat (not cloak, that's different) is just asking to have secret pockets stashed inside. Especially if the coat is lined! Also, if your character wears pants with something (a jacket, coat, vest, sash, etc) over the top of them, go ahead and put pockets in the pants because no one will see them. This is, of course, assuming you don't already have evidence as to whether there are or aren't pockets in said pants. :)

I've simply learned to carry less on me. And deliberately bought a digital camera that was small enough to fit in the Jedi pouch already sized to hold my old film camera, meaning it's also small enough to fit in an average pants pocket. Too bad Jedi pouches don't translate well to other costumes.

dani
01-28-2004, 09:42 PM
I suggest that anyone asking for suggestions about pockets posts a pic of the costume.
Newbies like me are not familiar with characters and can't recognize costumes by name.

Dani