PDA

View Full Version : Jedi cloak

twitchy_fingers
09-22-2011, 04:08 PM
Hi guys,

Me and my boyfriend are going cosplaying as Jedi for our next con, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what fabric to use for the cloaks?

Thank you

GlassCannon
09-22-2011, 05:06 PM
In the movies I believe they used 100% wool. I made my husband a Jedi cloak last year (seen here (http://yfrog.com/h3n2tehj)), and used 100% wool suiting that I found at JoAnn's. Not cheap, but it drapes beautifully. I've seen people use cotton and canvas as well, but I don't think it looks as nice. I think a wool-polyester blend could work really well, and be less susceptible to wrinkling, but it's a toss up which would be warmer, 100% wool or a wool-poly blend.

twitchy_fingers
09-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Thank you GlassCannon. Small problem, I don't think there are any JoAnn's in England :( But I shall look for some to make it look as authentic as possible. Also, your husband's cloak looks so awesome!

Lt.Finn
09-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Going to second GlassCannon.

I've made two, one in a canvas-baggey looking cotton and one in a heavy wool suiting.. I don't have any pictures, but the wool one looks (and feels) so much better than the other. It's nice and heavy and you feel more like a Jedi in it.

SweeneyTodd
09-23-2011, 10:12 PM
the wool one looks (and feels) so much better than the other. It's nice and heavy and you feel more like a Jedi in it.

lol nice explanation

Anyways, A woman I talked to while in a costume store said she specializes in making really authentic looking Jedi cloaks, and she mentioned that she used a really specialized material that was expensive and hard to come by. Don't remember exactly what it was called, I think it had a weird name, but if I ever remember or ever get a chance to talk to her again, I will post here again with the name. It might just be a special kind of wool, but she showed me a piece of the cloth that she uses, and it seemed a bit more grainy than traditional wool (this woman was so passionate about her Jedi cloaks that she made, she was basically an expert on making them).

Blue Leader
10-09-2011, 03:15 PM
I think that my current robe is wool, but I'm not positive. I can't remember now...
You may be able to find some information here (http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=250). It may help.

Lady Barbossa
12-05-2011, 01:40 AM
Oh, it's been a while since my Jedi costume. Hmmm... I think I used a sort of lightweight felt like fabric for my robe. Brown, obviously. It draped and worked fantastically. Not super hot but I was not cold since I wore it for Halloween. It was a poly fabric. But again, it was mighty lightweight. It did look and feel almost like wool, but a bit softer than wool.
Best advice I can suggest... go with what feels right when you drape it over your forearm. If it feels comfortable, drapes well... then it's a good a good choice. And a low price is a good idea since you will be needing a LOT of fabric for the robe.

~Lady B