PDA

View Full Version : xmas themed EGL costume advice

Miaka No Baka
12-03-2003, 04:25 PM
so I'm almost done with my xmas themed EGL costume and I wanted some advice. My main thing is the shoes to use, I bought some ankle slipper type boots that are white with a cream fur trim and lining. I also have these white slip on mary jane type shoes, neither have much of a heel. I've tried looking for white boots, found a pair but were too small in the calf. I don't want to order online cause I'm afraid of it not fitting. I'm gonna look at one or two more stores and see what I can find. But if those are the two shoes I have to pick from which ones do you think look good with the costume? Also do the socks look alright? And if there's any other tips or advice that you can think of feel free to share. I'm going to be wearing a choker type thing I just haven't sewn it yet but it's red with white ruffles and the lace up in the front like the rest of the costume has. I'm also going to be wearing my chii wig and ears with this and go as chii since it's kinda chii styled ^_^; I need to buy some more lace trim to add to the skirt cause the jacket thingie stays open a bit more than was planned so I need 2 or 3 more rows of lace on the skirt.

Miaka no Baka

ichigo
12-03-2003, 05:24 PM
Wow! That's cute. It's a nice outfit overall.
Shoes- personally I'd go with the mary janes, because they make you look more doll-like. The boots are also cute, so either way you'll win.
The socks look fine to me too.
The only thing that doesn't seem quite right to me is the green ribbon. I understand that it's Xmas colors, but there's just so little green it seems like there should either be more green or none of it. Maybe a green hairbow or green socks or a green choker?
Anyway, I like the outfit overall- please post pics of the finished deal, k?

Miaka No Baka
12-03-2003, 07:50 PM
yeah the green wasn't intentionally desired, I wanted to use white or red lacing but joanns didn't have any, all they had was beige (which looked weird next to the white) or green or blue and purple so I figured green would look better. I need to go to joanns to get more lace for the skirt so when I go I'll look for white or red and change the cording to that if I find it ^_^ Since I'll be in chii, do you think I should wear any headpiece type thing? like bows or something? I'll have my chii ears as well as those hair piece thingies she has on the front two chunks of her hair.

Miaka no Baka

lainey
12-03-2003, 08:27 PM
i love it...REALLY adorable :D

my only complaint is that the green ribbon is fairly loose and should be tighet!

Schu
12-04-2003, 02:35 PM
I love the design o_o! Go with a thicker ribbon, or maybe some braided cord for the center lacing.... I'm not quite sure if this is a problem or not, but you might try taking in the waist a little bit, it looks a little baggy on you. I like the second pair of shoes the best ^__^

As for the head piece......... the first thing that popped into my head was bells, red bows, maybe some decorative pinecones and a little sprig of mistletow ^__^

Very cute :)

Miaka No Baka
12-04-2003, 07:04 PM
ahh I found better shoes. I also finished the skirt by adding that extra lace to fill up that gap the skirt had and I also added some more tule to the skirt to give it a little more fluff. Lemme know what you think about the new additions. I think I'm not gonna make the choker instead I'll do the headpiece with the red with the white ruffles like the coat and then add some big red bows on the sides and put some bells on the bows ^_^

Miaka no Baka

KuroBara
12-05-2003, 01:32 AM
Those shoes are great! Torrid (and www.torrid.com) carry a lot of boots / shoes for larger legs and ankles.
<- has thick ankles
For the head, an EGL styled lacey headband (not sure what they're called) accented with holly and ribbons would be very cute. Since it's Chii-styled, it's ok to go overboard on lace and ribbons!

A big red bow on top of either ear would also be cute.

angel_peach
12-05-2003, 02:21 PM
Oooh I like the red shoes with it the best! I agree about making a headress of somesort. That and maybe some type of undersleaves that bell out with the lace from the skirt would be lovely. Overall its a very cute costume, it kinda reminds me of something baby the stars shine bright has for sale this season. Where are you planning on wearing it to?

lainey
12-05-2003, 02:24 PM
omigosh it looks awesome now!

i LOVE the new shoes...and it fits so nicely on you!
i love it...that change made all the difference :D

Umi
12-05-2003, 04:08 PM
So cute! Personally I like the boots they're so furry and comfy looking, but another option is to find mary janes in a platform style. Tho' I do prefer the red shoes to the white pair.

I think the green ribbon is fine, but there needs to be some more green somewhere else for it to be even cuter. I know you said you'd be wearing chii ears... but maybe you can add green ribbon to the ears or your hair or maybe modify your choker design to include green? Just a thought it's cute anyways.

Lottie
12-05-2003, 06:21 PM
Wow, that is really cute. I love the rows of lace you did, that's pretty. I think the red shoes are my favorite as well. For your hair, the bells would be a good idea for Chii and a bunch of ribbons. You could try to make a wreath for your hair with holly, mistletoe, ribbons, bells, and whatever else. I could see Chii wearing a holiday wreath, it would look really cute.

projectanime
12-05-2003, 06:39 PM
That is such a cute costume! ^-^ Kawaii!

Miaka No Baka
12-05-2003, 08:21 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions, here's what I've decided on doing:

ok I decided against the choker due to I didn't really like it so I'm gonna make a headpiece where it'll be white ruffles with red base and it'll have green ribbon coming out of it to tie under my chin, I will also have green bows on both ends of the headpiece which will roughly end right at the top of the chii ears I will also have some tiny jingle bells sewn onto the head piece in various places as well. For more green my little clutch or doll which most EGL cosplayers have, will be my christmas cactuar plushie (basically it's a cactuar plushie with a santa hat ^_^; )

Miaka no Baka

inertia
12-06-2003, 12:23 AM
Maybe it's too late, but have you thought of a mini hat instead of a headpiece? They're so cute and it would be a perfect way to incorporate some Christmas elements. (I also think hats are cuter with bang-less hairstyles than headdresses, but that's just my opinion...)
Like the hat on the bottom of this page, but with mistletoe/berries instead of fruit.
http://www.maple-kiss.jp/framepage53.htm

Kaede
12-07-2003, 03:45 PM
awww EMIRU! That would work well with your costume

ShatteredSunset
12-08-2003, 05:55 PM
That's so waii ^_^ To add to what the others said, more green... Specifically, I think the red and white socks might look better as green and white. It would serve to break up the overdazzle of red on white, and match with the green ribbons. Just a thought ^^ :thumbsup:

Ryoko-Dono
12-11-2003, 07:22 PM
Perhaps a hat? Maybe santa-ish. Defiantly more green. But its really cute as is.