PDA

View Full Version : AN Skit Contest

Neko_gal
12-05-2003, 10:11 PM
For any of those people who performed in the Skit Contest or enjoyed watching it as an audience member, please go to the Teahouse of the Maple Moon and show your support, or give constructive feedback.

http://pub43.ezboard.com/fteahouseofthemaplemoonfrm12.showMessage?topicID=6 5.topic

I REALLY enjoyed being in the show and it gave our group a chance to really work on our dance that we otherwise couldnít have performed in the masquerade. I wish I could volunteer to help out, but if they do have it again I have a feeling that our group will want to take part if time permits. :)

Chosuke
12-08-2003, 08:04 AM
I'd really like their to be another one this year.
There are just so many more things you can do without a tight time constraint, and I think its gives you a chance to show off your costumes a bit better.

Kisa
12-09-2003, 01:34 AM
It's just me and we all know i'm a cranky-pants, but I've NEVER seen a skit that HAD to be more than 60 seconds, except in the case where they have to get people/costumes onto the stage. Or you have like, 10 people and you need just that long to look at the costumes.

It shows more thought and respect to your audience to be concise and articulate, and you WILL be remembered if your concept is good and your costumes are good.

That's of course why I LOVE the skit contest. Get the show-ponies who are there for the Skit off the Masq. stage and somewhere where they'll be appriciated and enjoyed, and save the Masq for Costume-Skit combos.

Cho-B :) I have that sprite on my desktop :P

xiola
12-09-2003, 12:08 PM
mmm... watching a masq without getting leg cramps. now THAT's a good thing. :P

*hearts*

but prattiness aside, the skit's also good for like... people who are into extended musical type performances, and people who cosplay for the character-role-play rather than the costume (or just enjoy more serious acting), which are valid tangents/forms of fandom. i agree with kisa that i appreciate the fact that it keeps the more costume-centric entries split up from the presentation-only stuff, but i can't go and say that one is more valid than the other.

i'll agree with kisa that i prefer short entries. blame it on lack of attention span if you like, but it's more that alot of long masq entries sadly have no reason to be long and anyone who's actually been in the audience now and then KNOWS how it is when someone is just standing around repeating/extending actions until the audience is embarassed FOR them. but then again if you make your entry specifically to be a longer-story/complete-dance-number then there people who like that sort of thing too... and like i said, i appreciate not getting leg cramps in the masq; the AN masq is just too BIG and i think it's the best way to split things up.

nuriko001
12-09-2003, 12:48 PM
but in the end.. when you wait for more than 3 hours in the green room, you rather be up for more than a minute:P
hehe

Kia
12-09-2003, 03:00 PM
I managed to wander in to see the last few enteries in the skit competition last year (I had wanted to see the whole thing, but I forgot about it until the last minute). I was very suprised to find that the last few skits (the only ones I saw) were actually really good! Whoever put them together put alot of time and effort to pre-record them, practice them and make sure that they were funny in a way that made sense.

The problem I have with skits during the masq is that they often lack this kind of effort, dedication and overall polished look. Even though the masq skits are, at max only 60sec, alot of the rushed ones that you can tell were made up while standing in line to go onstage make me really impatient, I just want them to be over. The ones in the skit competition, even though they were longer kept me very entertained. ^_^
I dono, that's just my opinion. ^_^

BTW- The skit contest also has a time limit too. They can't just go on forever.

Kisa
12-09-2003, 06:10 PM
but in the end.. when you wait for more than 3 hours in the green room, you rather be up for more than a minute:P
hehe

Not Me!
I'm happy to show off and then get off. It isn't really a matter of how long I'm waiting in the green room. If I want to show off, I'll accept the annoyances of long waits, because I'm the one getting the benefit. People standing in line/sitting are waiting just as long as I am and deserve just as much consideration.
If the Masq. weren't as HUGE as it was, I'd say Ok; but we all know it's massive, and we all know a LOT of the presentations are really just... horrible and you WANT them to be over even before the 60second mark. Especially if the joke isn't as funny as the people seem to think it is... and we've all seen THAT before.

Sarcasm-hime
12-11-2003, 07:43 PM
Ditto. A short, really punchy presentation that's well planned and executed can be WAY more impressive and memorable than a long, drawn out one. Frankly, 60 seconds sounds like a short amount of time but when you're sitting in the audience watching some person dance aimlessly around or mumble incoherent lines, it seems like an eternity. I've seen many presentations that would have been great if they'd been really short...but they hung around onstage and bored the audience, which means all the audience remembers about them is that they were boring.

Eleryth
12-11-2003, 08:12 PM
I like the idea of the skit contest. That way, I don't have to watch the really long masq entries. And sometimes, our group does come up with good ideas that need a little over a minute. Doesn't mean you have to use up all 5 minutes, either, in the skit contest.

BTW, does anyone know why AN's masq limit is a minute (with which I have no problem) and many american cons (based on browsing the masq/skit help board) have limits of 2 or 3 minutes? Wouldn't that make their masq take FOREVER? Having never sat thru one, I really have no idea how many entries they usually get...

Hmmm...maybe I should go ask right now.... someone might know.

Ninja Sensei
12-12-2003, 09:01 AM
BTW, does anyone know why AN's masq limit is a minute (with which I have no problem) and many american cons (based on browsing the masq/skit help board) have limits of 2 or 3 minutes? Wouldn't that make their masq take FOREVER? Having never sat thru one, I really have no idea how many entries they usually get...

AN's masquerade operates under Worldcon/Costume Con guidelines of :60 seconds for one or two people, and :90 seconds for groups over 4 (I belive it's four, maybe five). Even with this the director has the discretion to allow more time for an entry that provides a good and reasonable explanation why they need more time ... and nobody usually faults a group if they run :95 seconds. (That is, unless the conetstants have been abusing the time limits in previous shows and the director has decided to clamp down and adhere strictly to the guidelines. Remember that it's "discretionary" ;) )

As for length of the masquerades, in my experience (and the way I forecast the length of a show) you should be able to take the number of entries and multiply by 2 to get the number of minutes the show will probably take from begining to end.

Of course, this is with a proper set-up including staff. A couple of years ago when AN had that extremely long masquerade of close to 100 entries, the lack of curtaining on the exit wing prolonged the show by almost 30 minutes.

The competitors and audience also have a say in how long things run (this year's CNA show being a good example of the latter), but the "multiply by 2 minutes" guideline has proven to be a good yardstick.

I hope this helps. :)

Kia
12-12-2003, 02:57 PM

If you look on their websites you'll find that alot of American conventions/masquerades allow for longer presentation times because to even enter the maquerade you have to pre-register. The pre-registration thinggy is because they only allow a certain number of entries into the masquerade itself.

Here's an example of the pre-registration thing that I have stolen and edited off the Katsucon website. If you want to read it all go to http://katsucon.com/Katsu10/cosplay.php. The whole thing was far too long to post.

Note that even though the Cosplay has been expanded in duration, there will still be a limited number of spots possible in the time provided. The total number of entries accepted will depend on the number of people per entry : as groups of more than 4 people are permitted longer entry times, the more large groups accepted means that fewer entries total will have stage time. Depending on the number of applications received, not all entries may have a time slot available for stage presentations. The following criteria will be used in selecting the final choices:

Completeness of entry form

Originality of concept or costume

Taste

Variety of group sizes

Entries that are accepted will be so notified prior to the beginning of Katsucon. You will be informed of your line-up order in the Cosplay Green Room prior to the event itself.

I don't agree with pre-registartion, but I guess if you want to have shorter masquerades with longer entries then it's what you've gotta do... I just hope Anime North never gets to that point.

Neko_gal
12-13-2003, 05:06 PM
Wow Ė it is hard to believe that a simple post to let people know that Anime North was looking for feedback on the Skit contest has become a discussion on time limits for cosplay in general.

If you really think about all the different reasons why people cosplay, conventions would have to run many different types of eventsÖ

Hall Play: For those who like to wear the costume, but do not want to get up on stage.

Fashion Shows: For those who do not want to be on stage (get on and off quickly) and who make the costumes mainly for workmanship purposes.

Masquerades (with less than 1 min. time limit): For those who want to perform but donít want to be on stage for long periods of time.

Masquerades/Shows (with time limits less than 5 min): For those who love to perform and put on a show for the audience.

Shows/Guest Appearances: For those who love to perform and want to promote their anime/character.

Now I agree that a very well presented presentation can be done in less than 60 seconds and that is more than enough time to show off the costume. At the same time, Iíve always believed in giving the audience a good time while they watch the performance. Sometimes a very humorous presentation can go over that time limit due to the amount of time the audience takes laughing/clapping/cheering. I also believe that a person can spend a great amount of time and go into a lot of detail in their costume and want to put on a quality performance to accompany the costume that will go over the amount of time given.

Iím also a firm believer in pre-registration because it means that people who do want to put time, effort and planning into their costume/presentation get on stage.

The whole concept of Anime Northís skit contest was to get the longer performances ďoutĒ of the masquerade to make it shorter. It did succeed from what I saw of the video of both the Skit Contest and the Masquerade, however there were still groups in the Masquerade that did end up getting the lights turned off on them. There was one that the audience was really enjoying and you could hear people in the background in the audience wanting them to finish the skit because it was that cute/funny to watch. At the same time there was one memorable skit in the skit contest that did drag and had lots of mistakes and you wished the poor person could just finish so it wouldnít be as embarrassing for them.

I guess what Iím trying to say is that everyone does this for different reasons. Not everyone does or even wants to put the same amount of time/effort into their costumes/presentations. I donít believe that anyone is wrong in their beliefs either because cosplay is a hobby not a profession. Most people I know do this out of love for costuming, being a different character (acting), the love of a character/series, the chance to promote their character/series/anime in general, to challenge their sewing skills, and to just have fun! I also know that there are people out there who do it for the attention, to get their pictures taken, to stand out, it gives them a chance to meet other people with similar hobbies, and many other reasons. As long as there is no harm done to anyone who attends the convention, I donít believe that you can say that a personís reason for cosplaying is wrong or look down on them, although I know Iíve met some who do which makes me sad.