PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of doing a Steampunk version of Alice and the Mad Hatter

BlondieSundae
10-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Me and my friends really want to do it, but I'm a bit at a loss for what I could do. Obviously Mad Hatter has to have a large hat, and perhaps a long coat. Alice needs to have an apron, her typical dress and head band. (I'm going a bit off the Disney design for her since thats the most popular version). What would you guys recommend for steam punking them up.

Edit- I'm bumping this to ask a few more questions.

Forget the hatter now, he's not important.

What kind of props should I have for Alice? I am thinking a dark brown wig with straight bangs. What other things could I add to the dress and outfit to steampunk it without just throwing on gears?

Mehdia
10-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Steampunk it with the accessories. The hatter could have some really cool gadgets to carry, he most certainly will need a pocket watch, (I hate to suggest this, but for him I think it will work) put some goggles on his hat, maybe carry an awesome teapot that can be all steampunked out. For Alice, I would change her shoes to fit the steampunk style a bit more, maybe some neat gloves also. Then you could have her carry a few bottles like the ones she drinks out of that look antiqued or something.

Those are just some quick ideas that came to mind. I've designed a lot different versions of some of the characters from the story myself, but I haven't really done them in steampunk. I'm sure others will have more, probably better, ideas than I did since I just flung out ideas as they came to me.

BlondieSundae
10-23-2011, 08:41 PM
Steampunk it with the accessories. The hatter could have some really cool gadgets to carry, he most certainly will need a pocket watch, (I hate to suggest this, but for him I think it will work) put some goggles on his hat, maybe carry an awesome teapot that can be all steampunked out. For Alice, I would change her shoes to fit the steampunk style a bit more, maybe some neat gloves also. Then you could have her carry a few bottles like the ones she drinks out of that look antiqued or something.

Those are just some quick ideas that came to mind. I've designed a lot different versions of some of the characters from the story myself, but I haven't really done them in steampunk. I'm sure others will have more, probably better, ideas than I did since I just flung out ideas as they came to me.

Thanks for the help!

Mehdia
10-23-2011, 09:26 PM
No problem. I love steampunk and I love Alice in Wonderland, so I like seeing peoples' take on both.

DeAnna Designs
11-18-2011, 11:27 AM
She could have a blue underdress but instead of a normal apron you could do a white corset with buckles and hardware on it. Her vials of Drink Me Juice could fit in elastic that is attached to the corset or in a belt that goes over the whole thing. I would do it with White Leather and have a small pouch that you could carry cookies in.

To complete the "apron" look you would need an overskirt to match the corset so it looks like an apron but have it pulled up with buckles at the hem.

To really feel steampunky I wouldn't use white-white. I would use muted tones of white and blue...and maybe stripes for the corset apron bit. And a petticoat under the dress that's maybe a pale grey.

Add some victorian lace-up boots and you're good to go.

Have fun. Let me know if you want to commission any of this. It sounds very cool!

DeAnna

DeAnna Designs
11-18-2011, 11:30 AM
....and long lace gloves or mitts with the fingers cut out.

The Madhatter could have a copper teapot hanging from his belt.
He's total steampunk anyway so his would be easy.

BlondieSundae
11-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Thank's Deanna! I really appreciate the tips and help =3

Neko.Oni
11-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Take a look at the designs for the Mad Hatter from American McGee's Alice. That's a bit of an extreme steampunk version but...

DarkFirepr
01-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Alice can have a really nice head bow with very cool gadgets with gears, a cameo, etc. Also some nice gloves and maybe spats in her boots of you don't find the white lace up ones.

BlondieSundae
01-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Alice can have a really nice head bow with very cool gadgets with gears, a cameo, etc. Also some nice gloves and maybe spats in her boots of you don't find the white lace up ones.

Thanks I really like the idea of spats truly. Maybe make them beige.

BlondieSundae
04-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Bumping thread, go to first post for the added questions.

cherushia
04-22-2012, 08:46 PM
I'm actually working on the same thing right now.

What I have done is nix the blue and white and bringing in more tones of olive and Burgundy with black.
I've traded my apron for a black corset vest I found on eBay and am creating an overskirt for my main skirt to blend from the corset giving the illusion of an apron.
Add lace details, choose boots over other shoes(granny boots are the best)....you could even go so far as the make her "mechanical" and mix in the 'drink me' to that. Maybe an item on your arm or chest that has tubes with the 'liquid' in them.almost like its what keeps Alice alive and 'running'.

BlondieSundae
04-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Well I don't wanna make her an automoton, I'd rather her stay human but thanks. I am however putting vials with "drink me" on the belt. I am keeping the blue but making it darker and using beige/brown instead. Using the granny boots too, not sure what other accesories to add.

Mehdia
04-22-2012, 11:53 PM
Antique keys would actually be a cool accessory too since she had to eat the cakes and dring the potion to get out of the room she first fell down the rabbit hole into. And of course, you can't go wrong with a paint brush with red "paint" on it and maybe some half painted roses.

BlondieSundae
04-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Antique keys would actually be a cool accessory too since she had to eat the cakes and dring the potion to get out of the room she first fell down the rabbit hole into. And of course, you can't go wrong with a paint brush with red "paint" on it and maybe some half painted roses.

I actually bought some nice looking keys at AB =D I was also thinking some kinda croquet mallet (the flamingo ones) because I could make it have gears and pipes and all those fun things. Opinion

Mehdia
04-23-2012, 06:11 PM
Oh, I think it would be awesome if you could find a way to steampunk the flamingo mallets. That would be a really unique prop!

BlondieSundae
04-23-2012, 10:41 PM
Oh, I think it would be awesome if you could find a way to steampunk the flamingo mallets. That would be a really unique prop!

I am getting myself in so deep =D *face twitches*

I was thinking of borrowing the American Mcgee's mallet design and...steampunk it up

Mehdia
04-23-2012, 10:54 PM
I am getting myself in so deep =D *face twitches*

I was thinking of borrowing the American Mcgee's mallet design and...steampunk it up

I don't remember what those looked like, but all the designs for those games were awesome. I'm currently sewing Alice's steamdress for my brother's girlfriend and he's making her hobby horse. The whole part of the game where she wears that dress was so awesome.

BlondieSundae
04-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Can i say thank you for all the help? Mehdia you're awesome <3

Mehdia
04-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Can i say thank you for all the help? Mehdia you're awesome <3

You are very welcome^^ I love Alice in Wonderland and I love steampunk. Putting the two together makes me happy and thus helping someone else meld the ideas also makes me happy^^

AmmieBug
05-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Its pretty neat finding other people with the same ideas. I too am doing a steampunk mad hatter, but my ideas are kinda watered down compared yours. My littlest sister is doing Alice, but hers is a mix of sweet lolita and steampunk. She already had a dress that would work and I think instead of shoes she is going to wear black boots. My fiance is going as a steampunk Cheshire cat, and a friend from work is the Queen of hearts.

Mehdia
05-21-2012, 01:39 AM
Its pretty neat finding other people with the same ideas. I too am doing a steampunk mad hatter, but my ideas are kinda watered down compared yours. My littlest sister is doing Alice, but hers is a mix of sweet lolita and steampunk. She already had a dress that would work and I think instead of shoes she is going to wear black boots. My fiance is going as a steampunk Cheshire cat, and a friend from work is the Queen of hearts.

Those all sound like the workings of a good group. I hope you share photos when you have some. I love seeing each person's take on these types of ideas.

MiraThePanda
06-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Sounds like a really cool idea! Would love to see pictures!!

BlondieSundae
06-15-2012, 01:06 PM

So far we got a white rabbit, mad hatter (spot taken by my good friend), march hare (i think), alice (me) and queen of hearts, the caterpillar is in limbo as of now.

Mehdia
07-12-2012, 04:27 PM
This thread has died a bit, but I thought I would share the corset I made on commission for a steampunk Alice (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3244951/). I think it turned out rather cute!

Alice MacLeod
07-13-2012, 10:26 AM
I have the american mcgee alice steamdress but I am going to redesign it so it has working components like the bows wings will fold and it will glow green and play the steam music. I plan on making a newer version later called "Scotland MacLeod Alice" since I am from Scotland, I am of MacLeod of Assynt, a very rare sept of the clan MacLeod and my real name is Alice lol I am not american and im not an irish mcgee so i need to make my outfit suit me more lol. I grew up with victorian and medieval style clothing though. It's the way my family is. It does go back to the 11th century though. I personally prefer steampunk I like the style and the fact I can make things functional. I really don't like stuff that doesn't do anything.

Curucar
07-13-2012, 11:22 PM
I found a steampunk mad hatter at A-Kon two years ago. He had this amazing backpack-like device that carried brewed tea, teacups, and saucers. Not only was the tea in a central holding tank, it had tubes that carried it this and that way over the backpack. You could probably drink it, too (if you didn't mind room-temperature tea).

Mehdia
07-14-2012, 12:25 AM
I found a steampunk mad hatter at A-Kon two years ago. He had this amazing backpack-like device that carried brewed tea, teacups, and saucers. Not only was the tea in a central holding tank, it had tubes that carried it this and that way over the backpack. You could probably drink it, too (if you didn't mind room-temperature tea).

Wow...how did I miss that? I was all over the steampunk stuff at A-kon two years ago since my friend had just gotten me into it a little before the con.

BlondieSundae
07-14-2012, 12:41 AM
This thread has died a bit, but I thought I would share the corset I made on commission for a steampunk Alice (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3244951/). I think it turned out rather cute!

Hahaha most things in the steampunk forum kinda just..... die xD BREATHE LIFE IN TO IT MEHDIA!

Mehdia
07-14-2012, 01:42 AM
That they do! I'm doing my best CPR though!