PDA

View Full Version : Obligatory 2012 gun-jumpi... blah blah ideas etc

LalaFTL
10-26-2011, 02:47 AM
You know you all are thinking about it... DON'T TRY TO HIDE IT!
With another successful Blizzcon very recently behind us, I know that some ideas are already being tossed around on the Facebook page, so I figured, why not make another thread for next year on cos.com?! It's been a few days! Ahem...

So yeah, brainstorming!

Already floating through my head are...
-Fixing up the D3 barb and making it comfortable and functional. And helmable. I am sad I didn't get to finish my helm.
-Paladin T2.5 from AQ40. I've been wanting to make this since I got into cosplay. I did enjoy making my barb armor but making (and wearing) a full suit is a daunting task... I kind of just want to make the helm and a Dark Edge of Insanity, lol.
-Stonemother Therazane, Jenny Craig style. I am not sure whether I have the skill to do what I want with this one though...

I think I will just take a month or two off and do some research. I would really like to do something comfortable but... Yeah. Fancy is neat too.

Anyone else care to share their brain spew?

Athielian
10-26-2011, 03:45 AM
I really want to try something from WoW next year. Thinking Horde Hunter Tier 9, but the stuff they wear in between the spaces of gauntlets,chest, and thigh armor looks really hard to pull off. WoW armor sets intimidate me lol.

Also once a color concept is out for Etherael, the Angel of Fate I really want to try my hand at that one as well.

Tonksie
10-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Wildheart Raiment, druid T0. I love this set and always have since my druid had it! I actually wanted to do it this past year, but knew that I wouldn't have the time (plus, I really wanted to go as my NPC, lol).

This is going to be my most difficult costume to date. I've been doing a little planning/research, and I think it may end up killing me, lol. I am probably going to try to start it within the next few months, since April-June is pretty much shot for me next year.

I love how I decide to do my most difficult costume the same year as my wedding, lol. Not well planned!

Irarenovo
10-26-2011, 10:52 AM
I have too many ideas lol

1) tyreal, inspired from blizzcon statue
2) broccoli man tree of life form
3) something zergy, such as queen or baneling

Need to finish my fan art monk, was about 80% done before I had to leave before blizzcon :(

I'm leaning toward tyreal because it would be the most difficult costume I've ever tried, and definitely a show stopper

LilLadyBug
10-26-2011, 01:24 PM
It's gonna be a busy year in the Py household!

Day 1 - Probably Lock Season 11 for me. Or maybe DK starting set. We'll see.
Day 2 - Soridormi to cosplay with Logan's Nozdormu.

Not sure if Logan will be cosplaying Noz both days, or if we'll pick up another costume for his day 1. He's talked about Malfurion and Medivh, so we'll see what happens there.

I've already heard some disappointment about the sprite darter not coming back next year...so maybe she'll make an appearance in the line on Thursday or something. :D

Cjiadon
10-26-2011, 04:31 PM
I've always wanted to do a draenei so I might attempt it this time around. There aren't many well known female draenei to choose from though so then I thought I would do a mage armor set... but they are all dresses, aren't they? Won't be able to show off some hooves.

But on the other hand, I'm open to picking something from D3 again once the game is released. :)

dbchan
10-26-2011, 05:00 PM
I usually wait for new content to hit before i plan, but i have no urge to be a panda and didn't see anything very promising revealed at con. I have a couple of ideas pinging around in my head. I know for sure i'd like to work with LED's and possibly some leather this next round.

I'm still thinking that an ethereal involving EL tape or glowire and lots of crazy bandages would be awesome.

I'd like to dabble in the starcraft universe since it's the only one I haven't tackled. I would love to do a heart of the swarm kerrigan with the ghost suit and zerg dreads.

I was writing in my journal and I realized- I've been cosplaying villians or imposing women types for the last... 4 years. I think it might be time to step out of my comfort zone and do something more feminine and pretty (that allows me to smile for pics)! Maybe with the lack of main female wow npc's (that haven't been done yet), I should step out and do a femme version of a male character.

Can anyone experienced with (IRL) leather working recommend some books or websites? I have no idea where to start and I'd like to start reading/researching it.

magealexis
10-26-2011, 05:48 PM
It was my first time cosplaying at blizzcon this year. Was quite fun, but given the lack of time and budget my costume wasn't very impressive.

I'd like to do a nice troll costume for next year, not anyone in particular, just troll in general. I keep getting caught up in how in the world to create realistic and useable hands and feet.

Any suggestions?

br4nd13
10-26-2011, 06:08 PM
I'm planning on making a Worgen colored (red) Tree of Life for 2012. And seeing as this will be my first venture into making anything crafty, it will be... educational!

I've already assembled a ton of materials and just have to get crackin'. I have a whole year of going crazy due to my perfectionist tenancies and OCD over the form, the details and logistics.

I can do this... right? *nervous*

dbchan
10-26-2011, 07:28 PM
It was my first time cosplaying at blizzcon this year. Was quite fun, but given the lack of time and budget my costume wasn't very impressive.

I'd like to do a nice troll costume for next year, not anyone in particular, just troll in general. I keep getting caught up in how in the world to create realistic and useable hands and feet.

Any suggestions?

I've seen some plush slipper troll feet. Not too realistic, but they get the point across and are comfy. useable hands is harder- it's probably easier to have them removable.

Syrinx
10-26-2011, 07:42 PM
man... i have no idea! my first thought was to be one of the dragons (i wish i could have made blizzcon this year and joined in the dragon group fun!)... perhaps Malygos.. i just love that crazy old dude. but... i would really really really like to try armor making of some sort, so i thought Diablo 3 demon hunter. a cool looking costume, but nothing too crazy involved for my first attempt at armor making. *sigh* .. of course.. maybe i could show off my love for the druid class? or.. with the official announcement of the pandarens maybe i'll finally show my love for those guys... haha i just don't know!
i also have to consider coming from Chicago... i have no idea how i'd pack crazy amounts of armor and get it to california safely. how do you travelers pack your intricate costumes??

Irarenovo
10-26-2011, 07:53 PM
In regards to anyone making mascot costumes and traveling- for my moonkin I used plastic screen door mesh.. I used this because if it bent, unlike metal, it will pop right back into place. Then for travel, I vacumm sealed it with a space saver bag. The fatty moonkin was flattened so it could easily fit in a suitcase or car trunk!!

I think armor is more difficult tho, I had to reglue the ears on my bf's maiev cause they broke off in the car :/ I'd probably use bubble wrap, suitcase, and plan on making repairs later

Syrinx
10-26-2011, 07:58 PM
hmm, i was afraid of that (about the armor repairs) we'd be taking an airplane... i highly doubt that will be a gentle trip lol
and holy cow! you were able to vacuum seal your moonkin and fit it in a suitcase?! that's crazy impressive!! haha

LilLadyBug
10-26-2011, 08:03 PM
I'm lucky enough to have relatives in socal. So I shipped my staff, shoulders, and various sprite darter paraphernalia ahead of me via UPS to my sister. She was able to open it before I arrived and advise me of any repairs that may be needed.

magealexis
10-26-2011, 08:29 PM
I've seen some plush slipper troll feet. Not too realistic, but they get the point across and are comfy. useable hands is harder- it's probably easier to have them removable.

I had plush slipper type troll feet this year. I could reuse them next year if needed, I'd just really like to get the realism down.

And yeah, I figure hands are harder. I'm collecting links for now, I'll probably start experimenting with stuff next month.

Spiritwalker
10-26-2011, 08:50 PM
In regards to anyone making mascot costumes and traveling- for my moonkin I used plastic screen door mesh.. I used this because if it bent, unlike metal, it will pop right back into place. Then for travel, I vacumm sealed it with a space saver bag. The fatty moonkin was flattened so it could easily fit in a suitcase or car trunk!!

I think armor is more difficult tho, I had to reglue the ears on my bf's maiev cause they broke off in the car :/ I'd probably use bubble wrap, suitcase, and plan on making repairs later

This is what actually scares me more than anything else about my determination for Blizzcon 2012 participation. It's not the idea of being on stage, or a delayed flight, or the cost or being lost or alone in San Diego or anything like that. It's being separated from my precious costume in transit and something possibly happening to it! Some of my costume parts seem like they will be a bit...breakable by the time I am done, and might not be that easy to fix on the road, not to mention fitting it into luggage correctly. I did not think I would be that worried about material possessions but I am quite protective of it already, lol.

I will also have to find out how people put body makeup on themselves while on the road. It seems like a bizarre question but does everyone have friends/family who put it on for them? I wouldn't need to paint that much (face/neck area, possibly arms and hands) but I have no idea how to apply green to the back of my neck, much less make sure it looks good, and it's kind of hard to paint my ear area too. I see people with even full body makeup at cons fairly often though so I wonder if I just need more practice...

Aleze
10-26-2011, 11:36 PM
@Lala: Aww, I'm sorry to hear it wasn't comfortable. I really liked your costume. The way that your skin and hair looked really brought it together. You just looked so redhead. Grats on the great pic in the OC Register.

@Tonksie: Congratulations on the wedding! You look beautiful in anything you make. You will rock that set.

@Irarenovo: I was thinking about a queen for 2011. I have a plan for moving legs, so if you want moving legs, get in touch with me. I plan on doing something similar (an arachne) for Ren Faire.

I have no idea what I'll be next year! But I do know that I don't want to be doing something at the last minute again. I'd like to have the time to be part of the community planning process and maybe be part of a group if there's anything going on this year. A faun of some sort is appealing. And I am tempted to remake Kerrigan, but if I did I'd want to make something new as well.

So, um, any suggestions for me? :)

Irarenovo
10-27-2011, 09:14 AM
I'd like to see more d3 / sc2 participation.. But it's hard to come up with d3 stuff then the game isn't released lol

Maybe a hydralisk or mutalisk would be cool, you could stand up in those at least.
Seeing a dragoon or zealot or maybe archon would be fun and hard to do

If I did end up going as tyreal it would be fun to have a diablo on stage with Meh for some combat poses lol if anyone is interested

Cjiadon
10-27-2011, 09:49 AM
I'd like to see more d3 / sc2 participation.. But it's hard to come up with d3 stuff then the game isn't released lol

Maybe a hydralisk or mutalisk would be cool, you could stand up in those at least.
Seeing a dragoon or zealot or maybe archon would be fun and hard to do

If I did end up going as tyreal it would be fun to have a diablo on stage with Meh for some combat poses lol if anyone is interested

I'm sure there will be a lot more DIII display next year. If the game comes out early next year like blizzard is claiming, there will be plenty of time to make costumes from it. I'm glad too. Diablo needs more love. :)

Jenna1978
10-27-2011, 12:56 PM
Day 2 - Soridormi to cosplay with Logan's Nozdormu.

PY! I love you for doing Noz and Soridormi! We must get photos together as my husband and I are doing original versions of Alexstraza and Korialstrasz! Well original on my part since there's no way he'd let me wear a metal bikini.:p My concept is basically what I envision the dragon queen should wear. He's already ordered his dragon scales from the Ring Lord and we already somewhat started discussing wigs with Alice. :p

Every time I saw you at BlizzCon you were busy otherwise I would have come say hi.

Kagato
10-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Blizzcon 2012... I'm working with the idea that I have just shy of 12 months left to finish my Varian Wrynn costume. Hopefully Blizzard doesn't kill Varian off or change his look to dramatically before then. :)

I'm taking stock of my progress with each of the various pieces and coming up with a plan to complete each one. I have the opportunity to add some serious detailing to the paint, and I think I might try casting the lion knee pads in resin. The foam versions look good, but I can't help thinking that bumping them would not only hurt the paint, but could crush them physically.

I might start up a thread in this forum to post updates, something to keep me on task and hit you all up for advice. I was able to get a close look at a lot of the costumes and I was very impressed, if my plan on how to fix all the armor doesn't work, I now have a few other ideas.

I think I might commission the wig. I had such trouble with my blood elf wig this year that it might be something I turn to an expert for.

If I get it done months early, I might tackle redoing the armor for my blood elf mage, the leather armor I have looks okay, but it looks flat. I also wouldn't mind creating the concept art's staff of the sindori. But thats only after Varian is done, I promise. :)

Reformed Tomboy
10-27-2011, 02:11 PM
...my husband and I are doing original versions of Alexstraza and Korialstrasz!

Awesome, I'll be glad to see some more original costumes.

As for me, I'm sort of taking a break from cosplay. I'm enjoying not working on anything and actually being able to play games. I'm thinking about it, but not really seriously yet. Right now I'm thinking simple. I either want to actually do the dress I imagined for version 1 (instead of the last-minute thing I made b/c my sewing machine broke) or a belf in some lowbie gear. Body paint was neat and all, but I'm not sure I want to go there again.

Edalyne
10-27-2011, 03:13 PM
I've decided to redo Geo's (my fiance) Raynor for next year. We had a last second mishap with tattoos and he felt incomplete and was pissed off most the day because of that (Lisa, tell Tony TY times a bajillion for his compliment on Geo's Raynor costume when we were backstage. He was totally stoked he got that compliment and it put him in a good mood the rest of the day).

We wanted to do something more couple's oriented or something at least from the same game since people took pictures of us, but they usually wanted us to be separate because we were dressed from different Blizz universes. I'm not sure what I'm doing for myself, but obviously something SC related. I'm gonna figure it out soon because this year everything became a mess last second and I dont want to do that again.

LilLadyBug
10-27-2011, 03:27 PM
PY! I love you for doing Noz and Soridormi! We must get photos together as my husband and I are doing original versions of Alexstraza and Korialstrasz! Well original on my part since there's no way he'd let me wear a metal bikini.:p My concept is basically what I envision the dragon queen should wear. He's already ordered his dragon scales from the Ring Lord and we already somewhat started discussing wigs with Alice. :p

Every time I saw you at BlizzCon you were busy otherwise I would have come say hi.

Awww /hugs you should have! It was a crazy weekend for everyone I think!

I'm super excited about Noz/Sori and can't wait to see what you do with Alex/Korial!!! Luckily, Noz is almost half done as it is and let's face it...Sori isn't wearing much! LOL So these two should be done here in a couple of months. I kinda promised Logan I would take November off....but I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to keep that promise. XD

Samoria
10-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Apologies if this gets posted twice. I think it said something about needing to be 'approved' by a mod before my previous post would show. I'm not sure because my browser froze up and I couldn't read it.

Anyway, hi, I'm new! I wanted to cosplay something for the last three years, but I don't know what to make. I'm picky because I don't have the body for a lot of the female costumes from WoW. I also am very shy, so I want something with a facemask. Does anyone have any ideas?

I was thinking of maybe making a Verming (concept art) but I don't want to be "that chick in the fursuit". I'd like my costume to be memorable. Maybe Tyrael, but I'm not sure I can pull off that armor! Help!

(And hello all!)

Athielian
10-27-2011, 04:22 PM
I have only made two costumes so far. But whatever you pick, pick a character/costume you really like and are passionate about. You will want to do the source material justice and if you are really passionate about it it will show in your final costume. At least that how it is for me.

Spiritwalker
10-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Hi Samoria! I am pretty new too but everyone here I have met is really nice and helpful (and dedicated if they keep posting).

Do you have any general ideas at all? I am somewhat shy too but you would be surprised what a little body/face paint and some prosthetic ears can do, especially when most people at Blizzcon are going to be supportive. Did you want Alliance/Horde/NPC? Shorter? Taller? Heavy or lighter armor?

If you are worried about body then I would suggest looking into a caster, robes can be made for almost any body shape and you can have a lot of sparkly bits to sew in (and maybe a cool glowy staff or something). I have also seen a very good Moonkin costume or two (I don't know if you are interested in wearing a full suit like that though, would get hot fast). I also never see female Tauren (look up minotaur costumes for additional ideas in that direction) or female Worgen (werewolf costumes usually work for those), that is also a possibility if you want something more unique, but those could be harder than most.

You could even do a female version of a male character. A lady did a very good female Arthas this year for example (I am sorry for not remembering the name, I am pretty bad at remembering them). WoW is pretty flexible with the options really.

Jenna1978
10-27-2011, 04:37 PM
I kinda promised Logan I would take November off....but I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to keep that promise. XD

LOL! We swore we were going to take a month off before starting on Alex & Korial but we just got so excited for it after talking to Alice & Mario about the wigs & horns that the ideas started flowing from there and flowed with us into Dennys after we left them (the servers must have thought we were out of our minds! :p) I've also already emailed Jenny about comissioning another plushie from her and we've ordered the red and gold scales so technically we we already broke our own rule about taking time off. :rofl:

Samoria
10-27-2011, 05:08 PM
@Spiritwalker: Thanks for all the encouragement and suggestions. My general idea, right now, is a Verming. They released a picture concept art for it at BlizzCon 2011, and I am shorter, so maybe that would work. Looking for Alli or Horde, shorter (like me). Armor is variable, I could make anything. I've never made any cosplay outfits before, so it'll be a learning experience!

A full suit wouldn't be a problem at all for me. I actually have a great idea on how to make tauren/satyr/digigrade legs that would be neat to try out. So I could do a tauren. Coincidentally, my main is a female tauren! Then I'd have to decide how to make the armor set for it. Something with pants because I'd be mighty proud of those legs!

Thank you! :3

Aleze
10-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Samoria,
If you're heavier, there are plenty of options for burly females. I've also been waiting to see sexy female tauren (http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Ltauhmise/Warcraft-FemaleTauren1.jpg), and pandarians are probably gonna be pretty built as well. Depending on your body orc, dwarf, or even human might work as well. I'd advise against a full fur suit or covering your face with any animal mask like the fur suits have. Instead, paint your face and maybe use some prosthetics, or choose a helmet that you like. Corsets or bodyshapers can go a long way in improving any costume. And if you don't have the boobs, just pad them!

I'm really thinking that the key to looking good in any costume is fit. Just like real clothes, what fits your body well looks best. Even if it's robes, the robes should hug your curves.

make-up:
http://cdn.makeuptalk.com/d/d3/d3d936fd_tag-cat1.jpeg
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/167/b/0/WIP_cat_morph_by_giaguaro.jpg

Pandarians:
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/297/7/8/female_pandaren_by_hitsujifox-d4dttj1.png

http://www.geekygamergirl.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/mila___pandaran_concept_by_peachiekeenie-d4dnpn7.png

Samoria
10-27-2011, 06:07 PM
@Aleze: Not 'heavy', but 'curvy'. You just won't catch me baring my belly! (I've had two kids.. and I look like it!) Tauren would be a good fit, I think. I'll have to do some creative brainstorming for the face. And trust me, I've got the boobs... no need to pad! (Just one less thing to worry about, eh?)

What are you planning on going as to BlizzCon '12? You were Kerrigan this year, right? I remember seeing you. I was SO jealous of your costume! I'm missing the guts to pull that one off, and you did it well! (If that wasn't you, then apologies!)

Cjiadon
10-27-2011, 06:14 PM
I have only made two costumes so far. But whatever you pick, pick a character/costume you really like and are passionate about. You will want to do the source material justice and if you are really passionate about it it will show in your final costume. At least that how it is for me.

I fully agree with this 110%.

Snizabelle
10-27-2011, 07:25 PM
I have...a million freaking ideas.

I was actually gonna be Sindragosa this year but the concept became too complicated and I ran out of time, so I was gonna be it for sure next year...But now I've pretty much lost interest and am looking at new ideas. I was thinking something a little challenging like a SC2 medic, but then maybe I want something a little less complicated like a nice Jaina Proudmoore...

Blegh, I need to figure this out.

Aleze
10-27-2011, 07:52 PM
@Samoria,
Well curvy is easy! There are so many things you can be. I try to avoid showing my belly too. There aren't many women with flat enough stomachs to go walking around with it all hanging out. I'll try to try out some tauren makeup and post my results.

Yes, I was the Kerrigan walking around on day 1 without my wings. But Alice was the Kerrigan that was on stage. So if it is me you're talking about, then thanks!

I actually had an idea last night to do a lady orc.. with a rather complicated twist. But I usually don't stick with things that I think I want to do this early. Although, I did post that I wanted to do Kerrigan last year and actually did it. So, we'll see.

birdyface
10-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Oh, definitely not trying to hide it at ALL. I have a ton of ideas, but a couple are starting to stick.

1. Tyrael. Dat armor /drool
2. Rogue T2 or T3 or.. yeah. Rogue Tier.
3. Hunter tier of some sort? Perhaps.

I really want to do something that involves a lot of armor and a prop (sword, bow, etc). I am leaning heavily toward Tyrael, but I also do not want to be one of 500 like I ended up as Tyrande this year. Not that the other Tyrandes weren't awesome, but it is good to have some variety!

@br4nd13 - Ooh, new tree form! I'm looking forward to seeing how you do that!
@Irarenovo - Which moonkin were you? Either way, hello, and I loved your costume. :D
@Tonks - I have high expectations for your druid set, lady! It's going to be awesome.

Samoria
10-27-2011, 08:21 PM
@Aleze: Whew, good to know I'm not alone! And yes, I saw you on Day 1. I always stop and drool over the cosplayers, wishing I were one of 'em! Maybe next year if I can actually finish my costume!

What would you do with an orc lady? (For the Horde!.. or something!)

I'm kind of leaning towards a female tauren. Possibly druid since my main's a druid. Or maybe a paladin or warrior... I haven't decided on that yet. I guess I will try to find the best look armor set and do that one. Something with pants. It would be a shame to make hot tauren legs and then cover them with a skirt, I think. Now... to figure out what armor set (with pants) looks the best!

@Birdyface: Even if you do end up one of many Tyraels, I'm positive you'd look amazing! :3

Aleze
10-27-2011, 10:03 PM
What would you do with an orc lady? (For the Horde!.. or something!)
I like surprises, so I don't want to say! It would be quite the performance art piece, so all the more reason not to blab now... I don't do armor sets. They just look like way too much work to me. So the actual outfit will probably be really simple.

Make sure that you take into account how much work you want to do when make your armor set choice. ;)

Irarenovo
10-28-2011, 07:47 AM
@birdy I was the horde moonkin on stage, still traveling home so I haven't gotten the chance to change my avatar

I'm also concerned about the potential tyreal overloa, but at the same time, not too many people will actually do it, just because of the sheer amount of components-- wings, armor, cloak, weapon, electronics, possibly stilts or something to resemble floating, depends how anal you get about it I suppose, but that's still alot to do

LalaFTL
10-28-2011, 10:23 AM
@Lala: Aww, I'm sorry to hear it wasn't comfortable. I really liked your costume. The way that your skin and hair looked really brought it together. You just looked so redhead. Grats on the great pic in the OC Register.

Haha, thanks! I'm a natural ginger but I admittedly dyed my hair a bit oranger for the barb. The angry poses just came naturally. :p I didn't realize that Kerrigan was you! I though you looked vaguely familiar but I couldn't put my finger on it... Now I know. :D Came out amazing btw, I especially loved your dreads! And your doggy. <3 I am researching bodysuits and things for possible next year costume and it's already kind of freaking me out; you guys that do it are horribly brave.
A female orc performance piece... That wouldn't happen to be from the Barrens, would it? :O

Love to hear all the brainstorming!! Ideas just feed off each other and get even better... I am so excited to get started already, haha.

birdyface
10-28-2011, 10:52 AM
Okay, so. I've been in love with this concept of the female Tol'vir and it's also been something I'm considering for next year. There aren't any lady Tol'vir in the game, but that hasn't stopped the many rule 63 costumes from entering in past years (and doing a fantastic job!). I talked a little bit with Mylune backstage at the contest about how she made her back end, so it's not completely impossible.. would something like this be a good cosplay?

Lady Tol'vir (http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=ramkahen+female#/d39uvbi)

Click the link to visit Shoomlah's deviantArt gallery. She's an amazing artist, and her concept pieces are just <3.

There are way too many fun things I want to make. Tyrael, undead rogue, lady Tol'vir.. I can't pick! D:

°Kamui°
10-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Uh, I also already have many ideas. My Demon Hunter still needs to be done, but at the moment I'm not really motivated to keep on working on it. I wanted to finish Soridormi in the next few months, but at moment I felt in love in one of the Diablo III battle.net protraits. I guuuuuuuuess, it's a female Protos (High Templar) Wizard. A pretty awesome combination, which would be an even more awesome costume, but I still searching for a reference I'm able to work with.

LalaFTL
10-28-2011, 01:15 PM
As much as I love the big, fat (as an Earthmother should be!) Therazane, I would like to be at least somewhat comfortable wearing my next costume and fatsuits/wheel-around thingies don't really allow for that, lol. So I am looking at this:

http://blog.wowgoldpig.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/ss1266.jpg

Involving a bodysuit, latex, and resin-casted gems. I am looking at ways to actually involve 3D stone texturing instead of just an airbrushed suit. Right now the idea I like most that fits in my budget would be to make my own latex suit and just build on top of it with latex, either by directly applying the stuff or sculpting some pieces and then casting them.

I really like this idea because, like this year, I'd be taking on completely new things that I've never tried before. ...Then again, they also scare me, haha. The 2-sided gem casting especially. I really missed the mobility of my Illidan costume this year, and as wary as I am of wearing less clothes since people are judgmental of women wearing skimpy costumes, being able to move freely is something I enjoy.

@Birdyface - I love the idea of the female Tol'vir; the concept looks awesome! I would totally give that a shot. :D

WR_Pouncival
10-28-2011, 01:15 PM
I've decided that 2012 is going to be the "Year of the Monk" for me. I'll be changing my main to a Monk when Mists of Pandaria comes out, and I'll either be rolling a Monk or Barbarian when D3 is released.

I'd like to do two costumes for 2012, one monk for each game. It will all depend on money, time, and how much reference is available for WoW Monks by then.

First thing's first, though. Weight! I'm tired of mine. I have a badass frame for male characters. I was genetically blessed with really broad shoulders, a barrel chest, and big arms. I'm also pretty tall. Unfortunately, I'm too heavy to really do anything that shows off my physique. I lost 20 pounds while making my Matt Horner costume, but I want/need (for health reasons) to lose a lot more. It also seriously limits my costume choices, since I need to pick characters where I can wear stuff that hides my weight (or just cosplay things like ogres, lol).

In light of this, I've started really watching what I eat, and I'm going to get a gym membership as sort of an early New Year's Resolution present (that's a thing, right? I'm making that a thing) to myself. I feel pretty motivated, so here's hoping.

So, in short. Monks, monks, monks, and MOAR MONKS next year!

LalaFTL
10-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Your Matt Horner still looked fantastic, Pouncival! The audience totally agreed, you got a pretty loud cheer from them (I didn't know if you could hear from up on stage, my mind kind of blanked last year when I was up there, haha). :p

I'm excited to see what you'll do with monks next year.

Athielian
10-28-2011, 03:45 PM
@Lala that looks like a great concept!

@Kamui the Wizard/High Templar portrait looks cool. hopefully they release a full body concept, that's a great combo and would knock out two cosplays in one lol.

@Pouncival Hey man it was great talking to you, this was my first exposure to the cosplay community and it was awesome. Just stay focused and positive and you will reach your goals, the monk will be a badass cosplay. I'm the opposite and need to gain some weight lol.

Anyway I have three ideas floating around.

1. Blood Elf Hunter Tier 9. I think I can do the armor stuff but what is concerning are the small scales/details between armor pieces.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a157/phantomile/PropOfS0id3/tier9halp.jpg
For the elbow joint area the armor set is painted as solid armor but it would be really restricting in real life. What would be the best way to tackle the areas boxed in red?

2. Once Diablo 3 comes out and we see what Tal Rasha's Wrapping look like I really want to make it. It was my fav set in D2.

3. Itherael Angel of Fate, still not enough ref or even color concepts but he looks awesome. Also ideas for a black body suit that doesn't shine?

Aleze
10-28-2011, 09:31 PM
@birdyface: Oh, cool. I had thought about doing a female Ramkahen when I first found out about them, but then there weren't any in the game, so I didn't. I'd like to see one.

@Lala: As a natural redhead myself, I thought you were a natural with a bit of enhancement. ;) And thanks for the compliment on my costume. I always thought that the design for Therazane was so interesting. I like the idea of doing something similar to that fan art. But after trying a latex rubber bodysuit, I'm ready to go back to spandex for bodysuits. The latex rubber just didn't return completely to it's original shape like spandex does after being stretched. So I had bagging in the crotch and slightly loose thighs/hips. I had fitted the spandex bodysuit perfectly to me before I applied the rubber, so it was the rubber that changed it. It looked like Alice had a similar problem with bagging in the crotch on her foam latex suit. But then, I don't know much about all the different types of latex, so maybe you will find something that will work. As someone who frequently wears bodysuits, I wouldn't worry about people criticizing. I receive little criticism for my outfits being skimpy, and always feel fully covered. We're probably thinking of different things for my orc costume.

@WR_Pouncival: You can lose the weight! :) Keep us posted on how it's going, okay? Set realistic goals for yourself and make sure that you do some exercise everyday, even if it's only a 15 min walk. Anyone can fit a 15 min walk into their schedule. We need more guys with broad shoulders to do all the cool costumes.

@Samora: I tried out some Tauren makeup... and I forgot how bad I am at doing makeup. I thought that it turned out pretty awful, but I took some photos and may or may not post them.

LalaFTL
10-28-2011, 11:02 PM
@Ath - I am excited to see what you pump out next; that was excellent for your first costume! You may be able to find material already textured like that; otherwise, you could do some scaling with craft foam or leather. It looks kind of like a matte snakeskin.

@Lala: As a natural redhead myself, I thought you were a natural with a bit of enhancement. ;) And thanks for the compliment on my costume. I always thought that the design for Therazane was so interesting. I like the idea of doing something similar to that fan art. But after trying a latex rubber bodysuit, I'm ready to go back to spandex for bodysuits. The latex rubber just didn't return completely to it's original shape like spandex does after being stretched. So I had bagging in the crotch and slightly loose thighs/hips. I had fitted the spandex bodysuit perfectly to me before I applied the rubber, so it was the rubber that changed it. It looked like Alice had a similar problem with bagging in the crotch on her foam latex suit. But then, I don't know much about all the different types of latex, so maybe you will find something that will work. As someone who frequently wears bodysuits, I wouldn't worry about people criticizing. I receive little criticism for my outfits being skimpy, and always feel fully covered. We're probably thinking of different things for my orc costume.

Ginger pryde~
Yeah, I was tossing ideas around with Alice and I think what I would end up doing is cutting some holes in select places (elbow/knee creases, armpits, part of my chest including underboob, and crotch) after stiffening a lycra suit with latex to fit my body, and then covering the seams with different cast latex appliances. I have a lot of ideas I'm really excited about if I do decide to pursue this one; everything I'm doing would be new, and learning is the most fun part of this hobby.

lolomgroxi
10-31-2011, 02:58 AM
I've already started! :P I'm doing a t13 troll shaman for myself and I volunteered to help my friend with his seaon 11 pally costume. Hopefully, this will be both of ours first con. :D

Wren
11-01-2011, 03:44 PM
I've already started! :P I'm doing a t13 troll shaman for myself and I volunteered to help my friend with his seaon 11 pally costume. Hopefully, this will be both of ours first con. :D

Season 11 paladin armor will be quite a feat if you get it done, one of the best armor sets they've made

Aerlyn
11-01-2011, 09:25 PM
I can't believe it took me this long to find this forum!

I was the day one King Mrgl-Mrgl (or, for half the people, Murloc) this year. Blizzcon 2010 day 2, I wore a lighted weighted jack-o-lantern, though I don't think many people will remember that. I had such a great time making Mrgl but it was disheartening having to explain that yes, I am actually a woman. I guess I really didn't learn my lesson, though.

For next year, I'm really playing around with the idea of making a Tuskarr outfit. I'm just thinking it would be really comfortable and I'm really fascinated by what people can make out of heat forming foam! We'll see...I may just end up carrying around a "I am a girl" sign a la Pandaria demo.

Samoria
11-02-2011, 12:19 AM
@Aleze: You did? Oh, I'd LOVE to see! If anything, would you email them to me?

I'm wondering how to do the pants... Like, should I make pants for it? Or should I make a robe? It'd hide the legs mostly.. so I'm unsure. And for the face, do I do makeup? I don't want to really make a 'fursuit head' for it, but I'm not sure how to make the snout well. Hmmm...

dbchan
11-02-2011, 12:23 AM
Welcome, Aerlyn!

I loved your king myrgl gyrgl (spell check?) and I think it rocks that there was a woman in that suit!

Snizabelle
11-02-2011, 01:23 AM
My boyfriend suggested I do Taretha Foxton and that idea is starting to grow on me. I always thought she was an under appreciated character (come on, she's the reason Thrall escaped and got to where he is today) and as far as I know, she's never been portrayed.

The problem is her outfit is so...boring (http://images.wikia.com/forscherliga/images/1/16/Taretha_Foxton.jpg)
That, and no one would have a clue as to who I'm supposed to be. Maybe I can carry around a sign that says "You don't even know who I am" and play it off as a joke.

Aerlyn
11-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Bah, my iPhone doesn't like posting here, I guess. If this is a double post, sorry!

@Snizabelle: I personally love that story so I think it's a great idea. You know anyone who can go as Thrall? If you don't think it's fancy enough, maybe you could do it for day 2? And heaven forbid, a well fitting blouse and sensible shoes!

@dbchan: thank you so much. I actually thought about making a female barb costume after last year and now I'm glad I didn't since you looked absolutely fantastic! I was really impressed by the level of craftsmanship this year.

@Samaria: have you considered a latex prosthetic nose/snout for the base then build off of that? I don't know if it would work but it would definitely be more comfortable to wear. Full fake heads get really hot...

Tonksie
11-02-2011, 10:12 AM
My boyfriend suggested I do Taretha Foxton and that idea is starting to grow on me. I always thought she was an under appreciated character (come on, she's the reason Thrall escaped and got to where he is today) and as far as I know, she's never been portrayed.

The problem is her outfit is so...boring (http://images.wikia.com/forscherliga/images/1/16/Taretha_Foxton.jpg)
That, and no one would have a clue as to who I'm supposed to be. Maybe I can carry around a sign that says "You don't even know who I am" and play it off as a joke.

I love the story of Taretha Foxton!
Having gone this year in a "simple" costume, I have to tell you that it is a pretty different experience. On the one hand, you can actually see the con, on the other hand, it's a little, er, disappointing when people don't get it. My costume this year looked simple, but was pretty difficult (for me) to make. I felt slightly silly walking around in a costume that almost nobody realized WAS a costume. I absolutely love the way my candy vendor turned out, and was super proud of it, but it made me realize that part of the reason I do this hobby IS to have my work appreciated, so it felt a little less special than past blizzcons, I guess.

I guess the tl;dr is: Do what you love, but know that people may not 'get' it, and it'll be a different experience.

Cjiadon
11-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Everyone has such great ideas! My fiancee says that while he loved being Deckard Cain, he is not sure who else he would want to display. So instead, he is okay with helping me move around if I go through with my desire to do a draenei. <3. My main is a mage, but if I wear robes, you won't be able to see my hooves well which I plan to work very hard on. Im tossing around the idea of that figurine they released a while ago. Im on my phone now, bit I'll link a photo later today.

Aleze
11-02-2011, 11:55 AM
@Aerlyn, I would love to see a Tuskarr! I think that I remember someone talking about doing one before, but I haven't seen one yet.

@Samoria, Okay, I'll get my terrible photos to you. But you'll need the help of someone who actually knows how to do makeup/prosthetics and make them look good. You can do a robe, but if you do, there's no point in doing the digitigrade legs. That could be an advantage, actually. If you want to try the digitigrade legs, give them a try first to see if that's really what you want to do. If you're doing them yourself, you may run into problems that make them unwearable or at least extremely uncomfortable. If you're feeling very ambitious, you could make both the legs with pants, and a skirt, and then switch out for the skirt when your legs/feet get tired.

@Snizabelle, It is a really plain outfit. Like Tonksie is saying, it's something that you would do for yourself and not for the attention at the con. I like the idea of the sign though. At least you would intrigue people and maybe prompt them to look it up.

@Tonksie, Really? People didn't know that was a costume? It was totally obvious, and very well made!

@Cjiadon, I really like that figure design. On some costumes, the colors really pop and it looks amazing. But your legs will still be blocked most of the time since the skirt goes most of the way around, especially if you pose with your legs together for photos.

Wren
11-02-2011, 12:11 PM
I can't believe it took me this long to find this forum!

I was the day one King Mrgl-Mrgl (or, for half the people, Murloc) this year. Blizzcon 2010 day 2, I wore a lighted weighted jack-o-lantern, though I don't think many people will remember that. I had such a great time making Mrgl but it was disheartening having to explain that yes, I am actually a woman. I guess I really didn't learn my lesson, though.

For next year, I'm really playing around with the idea of making a Tuskarr outfit. I'm just thinking it would be really comfortable and I'm really fascinated by what people can make out of heat forming foam! We'll see...I may just end up carrying around a "I am a girl" sign a la Pandaria demo.

Murloc suit was amazing, I ran around in mine the week before on WoW for pre-Blizzcon celebrations.

Cjiadon
11-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Got a picture of the figure!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/CjiadonBast/wow5.jpg

I quite like it. If I pose similarly to the figure, you'll at least see one leg which is better than none. I'm also thinking about going through TCG card to see if I fancy any of those designs. Does anyone know of cards whose artwork feature draenei?

Aerlyn
11-02-2011, 12:45 PM
@Cj: I think that would be a beautiful costume. I would really be concerned with the legs, though. If you're set on making them, get them finished early and practice walking and see if any modifications can be made to make them more bare able. I would love to see it, though. I didn't get a good look at anyone's hooves at last year's blizzcon. How do they even make them anyways?

Does anyone have any ideas how to make the whiskers for a tuskar? They look like normal mustaches kind of so I suppose I could just do that. I think it would be more accurate if they were bristly.

Cjiadon
11-02-2011, 01:40 PM
@Aerlyn: For sure, practice practice practice! :) Him, if you get a hold of long boar bristles or something similar, would that be the kind of effect you are looking for?

WR_Pouncival
11-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Alright then! I've got my "playlist" sorted out. For day one I'll be doing a World of Warcraft Monk tier set. Which one, not sure. Will have to wait for them to be released. I'm also going to try my hoof at making a male Draenei, because I have yet to see one and to me, a male Draenei perfectly embodies the monk archetype character (also, my monk is going to be Draenei). It will be a fun experiment with hooves, bodysuits, and a little paint. Probably a bit of tentacle and horn, too. We'll see how it goes, heh.

Day two, I'm going to be doing a Steampunk Deathwing. I've got some really cool ideas that I'll be sketching out at work tonight (you know, instead of doing actual work). I really hope I can pull it off, because the picture I have in my head right now just kicks all sorts of flank.

Syrinx
11-02-2011, 10:37 PM
oooh steampunk deathwing! that's really cool :D i'm still trying to figure out what i want to be... i just can't seem to decide!

Snizabelle
11-03-2011, 05:10 AM
I'm desperately trying to convince my boyfriend to be Aedelas Blackmoore to go with my Taretha. Maybe if it was a pair thing it would seem more obvious who we were and we could interact in character. I could weep in a corner while he yells at, threatens, and eventually murders me.

....On second thought, that sounds like a terrible idea.

Irarenovo
11-03-2011, 08:28 AM
carry a thrall plushie!!
everyone loves plushies, and then you wont have to be murdered :0

Poun I like your steampunk idea! maybe we can make a steampunk day 2 group... ? steampunk moonkin! hah, bronze feathers & mechanical beaks... /daydream sketches instead of working

Cjiadon
11-03-2011, 10:47 AM
carry a thrall plushie!!
everyone loves plushies, and then you wont have to be murdered :0

Poun I like your steampunk idea! maybe we can make a steampunk day 2 group... ? steampunk moonkin! hah, bronze feathers & mechanical beaks... /daydream sketches instead of working
This sounds like the perfect way to piss off my ex. He is really steampunk elitist.

I'm so onboard. :). What should I make steamy? HM....

birdyface
11-03-2011, 12:32 PM
@Irarenovo - STEAMPUNK MOONKIN. THIS WOULD BE AMAZING. <3<3<3 ..ahem. Sorry. That is all.

Aerlyn
11-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Mimiron? That would be a pretty cool steam punk costume. Though, what's my deal with male characters that would most likely involve a fake head?

Irarenovo
11-03-2011, 01:17 PM
gnome on a steampunk'd ostrich mount O.o
worgens with top hats!
revived onyxia suicide-bot!
giant zeppelin held up by 8 people!
random hot chicks with nightelf ears and studded leather!

O.o
ok, this would be rly cool if we bridged this over to starcraft land and had some steampunk protoss units. /faints at possibilites

magealexis
11-03-2011, 01:18 PM
random hot chicks with nightelf ears and studded leather!

I like the way you think.

Kagato
11-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Hrmm... I could imagine a Steampunk version of a D3 Demon Hunter with some stylized armor and pistols.

Irarenovo
11-03-2011, 01:29 PM
I like the way you think.

knew it'd get someone's attention. lol

Aleze
11-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Steampunk draenei. O.o Or steampunk Selendis? Too many choices...

I'm also going to try my hoof at making a male Draenei, because I have yet to see one and to me, a male Draenei perfectly embodies the monk archetype character (also, my monk is going to be Draenei). Ooo, yes, male Draenei, do it!

Sunphoenix
11-03-2011, 11:39 PM
In lieu of my love of costumes that no one would likely ever do making mine completely unique I was almost this year (http://images.wikia.com/diablo/images/f/f3/Crater_Assault_Troops_Artwork.jpg) but I decided to do the treasure seeker. Would of been awesome to see myself in that Black Soulstone trailer though. I didn't like how heavy my mask was this year and I love to have something carved about my costume so I might use Basswood which is much lighter. I'm working on bulking up so having my thighs exposed like that would be okay with a bit of body paint, a tight furry shirt. I was impressed by a lot of weapons this year and I've been thinking of doing something with a weapon. Although it is my assumption that the demons in the trailer were these guys.

Or in the way of that mistress of pain a bit ago I'd love to do Baal or depending on the hype around him azmodan would both be nuts to try with those 4 legs.

Pazuzu
11-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Pssst, Cjiadon, don't forget Mage Tier 8 - the only mage tier that actually has pants! xD
http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/images/news/2009/march/t8_mage_female.jpg?w=500&h=500

Cjiadon
11-04-2011, 01:52 PM
@Pazuzu - <3! Thanks for the suggestion!

Aerlyn
11-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Well, after considering the feasibility of transporting a tuskar costume to CA from TX, I think I've decided to go as something else. The idea of shipping probably 4 pretty big boxes to a hotel doesn't really trip my trigger. I can't imagine the damage that could ensue.

My requirements are: something that shows I'm a girl, some sort of foam/wonderflex/styrene work, minimally restricted vision. Any ideas? Thinking about doing tier 1 paladin. /drool

Irarenovo
11-04-2011, 03:32 PM
hmm I'm not sure what you were planning on making your tuskar out of..

but my moonkin was made of:
-plastic screen mesh[used for window screens and screen doors] I used plastic so it would pop out, be breathable, and not pinch
-very little wire [mostly to pop the sides out]
-cover with fabric
-stuffing between fabric and mesh
-feathers all over

then I got a big vacuum seal bag, and the thing flattened to suitcase size, like MAGIC!
after a 1wk road trip[NY to CA], I took it out and it was still fluffy and great. The wire didnt bend either! If you're making it bigger than my moonkin was, you can probably make it in 2 pieces and still fit it in a suitcase this way

honestly I'd be more worried about transporting armor that can snap, than transporting another mascot costume :0

Aerlyn
11-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Was thinking about using craft foam for the shape (reinforced after heat shaping) then covering it with plasti dip. They don't have fur sadly so it complicates things a bit. I don't think it will flatten after everything is said and done. It would have to be shipped or packed in 4 pieces, front, back, arms, and legs.

Great idea would the plastic mesh. I always wondered how the moonkin costumes got so plush.

Irarenovo
11-04-2011, 04:28 PM
ah, I was thinking they would be closer to leathery, or even a very thin fuzzyness, like suade

or the wc3 ones that have more clothes:
http://images.wikia.com/wowwiki/images/f/f5/Tuskarr.gif

but this is coming from the moonkin that feathered everything instead of doing part fur >.>; I sometimes dont interpret things 100% correctly

@ steampunk peoples, I posted an idea for a moonkin inspired costume on the steampunk forums: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=258512
if anyone is interested in helping :0

Skylin
11-05-2011, 10:11 PM
@Aleze:
Kerrigan costume was amazing!

@WR_Pouncival:
Nice Matt Horner outfit as well.

@Everyone thinking about doing draenei:
Mad props for walking around with whatever you strap to your legs.

Now.. this year, Tier 1 priest is my goal. Seeing Rag again brings back memories.
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/9632/t1priest.png
Going to scale down Benediction a little bit.. No way I'm keeping that scaling. Didn't realize how long BE ears are until I really looked at them. It shall be another fun year of creation!

dbchan
11-05-2011, 10:37 PM
a classic choice, Skylin, a classic choice. Very nice. Someday I might do Dreadmist- I was a warlock in vanilla.

Spiritwalker
11-06-2011, 12:24 AM
Going to scale down Benediction a little bit.. No way I'm keeping that scaling. Didn't realize how long BE ears are until I really looked at them. It shall be another fun year of creation!

I am already feeling guilty about scaling down my Shaman Tier 13 shoulders, but it is out of necessity. WoW shoulder armor is freakishly large already, and for some reason they like to make male Orc shoulder armor even larger and more freakish. I am dedicated, but I want to fit in my car's back seat, thankyouverymuch Blizzard. I am also not planning to reenact the door issues some of my Horde toons have either, it is not quite as comical irl.

The good news is that with the exception of the 1 to 1 scaling it is going quite well, and the scaling can be compromised since it suits my body structure a bit better anyway. I might even be able to post progress pics this year, and I didn't think I'd be able to even consider it til the holidays were over. I hope everyone has as much fun with their costumes (when they get around to them) I as am having. I still have a long way to go though.

Sunphoenix
11-07-2011, 05:30 AM
Ya know with much forethought and the year of thinking I think ambitious is the way to go ahead of time just to think of the zany thought processes that might come to fruition.

Such as trying to Do Belial and have a split in the extremities so that for pictures just keep the legs together with some black pants and shoes to give the illusion of floating.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111024133427/diablo/images/3/31/Belial_Concept.png (http://diablo.wikia.com/index.php?title=Belial&image=Belial_Concept-png)

Psycho Sukafu
11-07-2011, 02:21 PM
@Skylin: Ooo, Benediction. I had thought of building that eventually to match Anathema that I'm already working on. Probably a good idea to scale down a bit, Anathema huge, 6 ft long and probably 2-3 ft wide. I had to split it in two just to fit it into my car trunk! Planned originally to do a group cosplay with a friend with one of us in black mageweave set and the other in cindercloth set. Where are my pictures....

Aleze
11-08-2011, 08:34 PM
One of my friends it trying to talk me into doing the new Diablo. And I'm easily swayed. I'm not sure what to make it out of though. I'm pretty resistant to buying real crafting materials and my budget's only $150-$200 as usual. Also, it would be pretty heavy, especially the tail, walking would be hampered, and I wouldn't be able to see much of the convention because of the mask... hmm.

Kerrigan costume was amazing!
Ty! I'm glad someone enjoyed it.

Irarenovo
11-09-2011, 08:09 AM
yeah when I realized the new diablo was female I thought [briefly] about crafting a tyrael for my brother, and going as diablo...... but I did a mascot costume once and not sure I want to go thru that again so soon lol :)

If I do one again, I'd definately use magnets or hinges or snaps or something to put the front of the mask on so I can pop it on/off between pics without needing to "assemble"

that was the hardest part about moonie.. i looked uglier and uglier the more i took that mask off lol :\ my friend kept saying "eeew" when i took off my mask at the end of the day.. and catching myself in the window I agreed haha.

Aleze
11-09-2011, 12:49 PM
that was the hardest part about moonie.. i looked uglier and uglier the more i took that mask off lol :\ my friend kept saying "eeew" when i took off my mask at the end of the day.. and catching myself in the window I agreed haha.
Oh, yeah, I'm concerned about that too. I didn't even wear my Selendis that long in 2010, but my friends where all surprised when I took off my mask and my face was all sweaty. That mask was thick and made of plastic bags... it was not breathable. And walking around with a heavy costume in stilts was extremely strenuous, so there was no avoiding the sweating. It would be the same with Diablo.

I would definitely need multiple pieces to come off easily. I like the magnet idea. I was looking at a dog Okami costume tutorial, and magnets were used, and I was like: Oh, magnets! That's what I need for my costumes!

erwneoten
11-12-2011, 11:57 PM
Mostly lurked for 2011, determined to talk more this year!

I'm planning on doing Warlock tier 10 this year, with the Engraved Gargoyle femur, and I'm sure I'll be asking you guys tooooons of questions on LEDs and resin and wonderflex and everything else under the sun before next Blizzcon. Hooray!

dbchan
11-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Welcome, erwneoten!

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

krystlejo42
11-15-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm pretty sure i've decided on an Arakkoa for day 1. Of all the models i've looked at, I think this is one of my favorites. http://www.wowhead.com/npc=21649#.

I really wanted to do Chromie for day 2, because when I wasnt trying to shove a tiara between them and the rest of my head, my moira hairpieces were pretty comfy. And I was going to get a blonde set for Chromie.

However, i've managed to convince my soon to be roommate to cosplay on day 2. He's going to be dressing as Greatfather Winter. And if he does, i'm going to dress up as one of his helpers. We're trying to convince a few of our other friends to dress as helpers as well. :P (If we get a couple, i may dress as Metzen the Reindeer, or the Snowman that we always have to find).

My biggest thoughts now are... do I want to start on the Arakkoa now, or wait until i'm in SoCal? XD

dbchan
11-15-2011, 08:22 PM
My biggest thoughts now are... do I want to start on the Arakkoa now, or wait until i'm in SoCal? XD

Are you moving? Where to?

krystlejo42
11-16-2011, 01:11 AM
Are you moving? Where to?

Yep! Mid-March i'm moving to Pomona.

Tonksie
11-16-2011, 09:50 AM
OMG YAY!! All Blizzard Cosplayers need to move to So Cal imo.

Edalyne
11-16-2011, 02:56 PM
When are you moving to so cal? Kinda depends on how much time you'll have after your move. You might want to start doing little things that wont take up too much space in your moving boxes and wont be a hassle to bring over.

Also Pomona! If you ever shop at gamestop, come say Hi to me at the Chino one :) Lots of Pomona people shop at my store.

Cjiadon
11-16-2011, 06:24 PM
You are moving too? My fiance and I are moving back to Orange County sometime after May. It's where I'm from so I'm really excited to go back. Unfortunately, it probably means we won't have enough money to make new cosplays for next year. We'll see.

dbchan
11-17-2011, 02:25 AM
damn! with so many people living/moving in to the area.... sounds like a meet-up should be brewing?

Cjiadon
11-17-2011, 02:36 PM
damn! with so many people living/moving in to the area.... sounds like a meet-up should be brewing?

Yes.

Reformed Tomboy
11-17-2011, 02:45 PM
We've had a few and always had fun. I'd certainly be down for another.

And with all this talk of moving, I was reminded I'm moving next year too. But I'll only be moving out of my city because it's so expensive.

Snizabelle
11-18-2011, 12:51 AM
Wow, didn't realize so many people lived around here already! Good luck on your move! You all should say hi to me in Riverside sometime :D

krystlejo42
11-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Also Pomona! If you ever shop at gamestop, come say Hi to me at the Chino one :) Lots of Pomona people shop at my store.

Sure thing! With any luck, my transfer with work will land me in the Chino store. Its the closest one. lol

Edalyne
11-21-2011, 02:24 AM
Sure thing! With any luck, my transfer with work will land me in the Chino store. Its the closest one. lol

Oh god, you don't want my store, we're high volume. We've gone through 4 managers in a year because they can't handle how crazy busy we are. :/ So it's always hectic and we always seem to be in between managers which just makes things more crazy. The damn DM is too lame to promote one of our ASMs (Ya we got 2) and keeps hiring people from outside the company that don't know what they're doing. We're currently on: Former Radio Shack manager that is allergic to register and when she doesnt want to work (read: Always) she makes up BS tasks that involve being off camera in the backroom away from everyone.

There is a store in Pomona, which is in my district. They're in northern pomona, but seriously for your sanity, I would suggest trying to transfer there.

Sorry about my rambling. and being totally off topic.

On topic. I started p90x. I want to lose weight because I want to do ghost kerrigan. :) I've been looking into EL wire and such for the suit too. Anyone use that stuff before and know any good vendors. Some websites look kinda iffy... I'm pretty excited about the costume tho. :D

Athielian
11-21-2011, 03:36 AM
My brother used EL wire for his tron suite. They are really only noticeable when it is really dark(like inside blizzcon) but in any kind of normal lighting it won't show through. Also you can't have it in joint areas they can break from the movement.

It is also pretty expensive. My brother got EL wire, but for Kerrigan you probably want EL tape which costs even more. My brother used his suite for about a day then the EL wire went dead. So it is a big investment for pretty much a one off thing. You will need to replace the EL tape if you want to wear your costume a lot.

Edalyne
11-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Hmm good to know, I didnt realize how weak it was. I dont mind that its only noticeable in the dark, but I dont want breakage! I know some girls have just used super bright paint for the lit areas...I might end up doing that if EL wire/tape turns out to be too much of a hassle.

Cjiadon
11-21-2011, 06:40 PM
Oh god, you don't want my store, we're high volume. We've gone through 4 managers in a year because they can't handle how crazy busy we are. :/ So it's always hectic and we always seem to be in between managers which just makes things more crazy. The damn DM is too lame to promote one of our ASMs (Ya we got 2) and keeps hiring people from outside the company that don't know what they're doing. We're currently on: Former Radio Shack manager that is allergic to register and when she doesnt want to work (read: Always) she makes up BS tasks that involve being off camera in the backroom away from everyone.

There is a store in Pomona, which is in my district. They're in northern pomona, but seriously for your sanity, I would suggest trying to transfer there.

Sorry about my rambling. and being totally off topic.

On topic. I started p90x. I want to lose weight because I want to do ghost kerrigan. :) I've been looking into EL wire and such for the suit too. Anyone use that stuff before and know any good vendors. Some websites look kinda iffy... I'm pretty excited about the costume tho. :D

That sounds like good ol' Gamestop upper management to me. :( Do you know offhand the dress code for your district regarding hair color? When I was hired at mine way back when I had to change my hair from green to a natural looking color. Later I was informed in was a district specific rule.

Syrinx
11-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Edalyne, i'm gonna be starting up p90x again, too! i hope to lose at least 15 pounds by april (would love to lose more!) and by blizzcon next year... be about 25-35 pounds lighter than i am now! :D maybe we can cheer each other on!
Cjiadon, as far as hair color goes, the actual company policy is... only natural hair color. that being said, not everyone enforces it. i think that's where it comes down to who's your dm... and in some cases sm. *sigh* I really miss my blue hair, though :/

dbchan
11-21-2011, 10:00 PM
You will need to replace the EL tape if you want to wear your costume a lot.

I've been looking into EL tape and from what I gather, the EL tape is sturdier than the el wire. It runs off of battery power so the tape itself wouldn't need to be replaced, just pop in new batteries when they die.

ProjectMatrix
11-22-2011, 09:23 AM
I am still working on my sc2 Kerrigan. Due to lack of money, space, moving, and a divorce has really put strains on my plans. I've decided that she will be finished when she is finished. I know for blizzcon I will be riding on a greyhound for 9 hours from Dallas to CA so I can avoid shipping fees and I have an aunt who lives 20 min away from Anaheim (assuming they don't move it) and I'll rent a car. It's been hard to work on her because I have a mom that is a cosplay hater so she threatens to not pay my car insurance if I continue cosplaying while I'm in college. Depending on funds I will either debut her at blizzcon or akon in Dallas. Both would be nice but we shall see :( I figure she will come out better if I don't have a timeline attached to her. Hope I can actually come out and SEE you guys as opposed to cheering for y'all from my computer screen

LalaFTL
11-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Good luck, Matrix! I understand all of your constraints, except my mom thinks this hobby is cool as all hell; I really wish your mom could share her enthusiasm. :(

Due to similar resource constraints (money, space, time, friends to help with casting), I am probably going to have to hold off on Therazane for next year. After doing a ton of research and building a budget, I really don't think I can do it. I've been looking through some of my favorite characters in Warcraft and I am currently researching a new one and this one may be better within my budget, yet still provide enough learning/creativity/awesome to motivate me to make it.

After all the "you must be wearing it as a costume, not as a float" (oh, mailbox lady...), I am trying to devise how to make a decent Old God costume... I think I have the concept down, it's just the construction I am afraid of.
The biggest thing for the current idea I'm researching is how to make a great/wheel farthingale (think the giantly wide Queen Elizabeth gowns) that can support a good amount of weight and yet be transportable. Or really any sort of giant hoop skirt. Google is not helping me; do any of you know of any tutorials offhand for these things?

This so far seem much cheaper and less buddy-needing than Therazane, lol.

Reformed Tomboy
11-22-2011, 01:10 PM
You should talk to... I forget her name, but the woman who did the Mistress of Pain. Her costume was big and had a hoop skirt/wood and wheels rig underneath to support the legs of her costume. I don't really know anything else about it, or what you're looking to do, but I thought of that while reading your post.

krystlejo42
11-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Oh god, you don't want my store, we're high volume. We've gone through 4 managers in a year because they can't handle how crazy busy we are. :/ So it's always hectic and we always seem to be in between managers which just makes things more crazy.

I actually don't work for gamestop. I work for Barnes and Noble. There's not one in Pomona. The closest is Chino. :P

But on topic of weight loss, I fianlly bit the bullet and joined a gym. I've lost 7lbs since Blizzcon. Wheee! Now if I can keep it up. XD

And back on topic of costumes... does anyone here by chance know anything about football shoulder pads? I have no idea how to figure out what size I need. XD

LalaFTL
11-22-2011, 06:09 PM
You should talk to... I forget her name, but the woman who did the Mistress of Pain. Her costume was big and had a hoop skirt/wood and wheels rig underneath to support the legs of her costume. I don't really know anything else about it, or what you're looking to do, but I thought of that while reading your post.

Oh God, I don't know why I didn't even consider to ask Lorraine, haha. I'll send her a message, thank you. <3

Here is a sketch of what I am thinking of right now:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/kazamaceo/Costuming/yogg.jpg
I wanted to maybe be a little secretive with this one but I really need some input from other creative folks for it, haha. I am considering using upholstery foam over the hoop skirt skeleton to build the bulk, and make the surface material either a vinyl or latex. Aaaaand... That's where I'm at.

And fitting through doors is important...

Reformed Tomboy
11-22-2011, 07:00 PM
That looks amazing! What she had going seems like it'd translate to what you're planning really well actually. I'm still just so burnt out from the last two years, I can't even wrap my mind around looking for a costume for next year, let alone being in a drawing phase yet, so I envy your energy a little. I'm glad everyone is so driven already, it seems that every year gets bigger and better, and next year is shaping up to be no different.

Irarenovo
11-23-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm not sure if it will help you, but as a filling [if/when I do my Queen] I'm going to try to get some inflatable beach balls.. SO much lighter, and way better for travelling since you can inflate when you get to the con. If you need specific shapes, you can make them out of foam and attach to the fabric so you can use the balls to push everything out, instead of filling the bulk with some other kind of stuffing. It actually might work really well with this costume because it is kind of bumpy.

.. you should make a val'nyr to put in one of his mouths, and get pictures of healer cosplayers trying to get it LOL. my poor poor legendary ;_;

For the frame.. I think I would do some kind of platform first.. plywood circley thing, with a hole for feet and wheels.. then make poles sticking up from that. For the mouth I would make something like
/---\ [front]
then reinforce it
|--/ [side]
|---| [back]
if that makes any sense.. you could probably make the poles removable too.

Spiritwalker
11-27-2011, 01:47 PM
.. you should make a val'nyr to put in one of his mouths, and get pictures of healer cosplayers trying to get it LOL. my poor poor legendary ;_;

That would be so awesome! My Shaman is supposed to be Resto actually (although I'm not sure if showing that will be feasible right now).

I can't think of anything at all that would top the MoPain advice for construction. I definitely recommend a handler though.

I did think of something for general help though. I was still kind of worried about packing my costume at all, let alone mailing it cross country, but I found a lot of the Buffalo cottony/polyester snow on sale at my seasonal job. It can come in one big lump or one long sheet, and I was planning on using it as a non-expensive source for padding in my luggage to keep my stuff safe (but I think it might help for stuffing on costumes also?)

I bought a few bags to test and it looks like it's going to work fine for my stuff at least (I am pulling apart the fibers easily to mold/fit into my costume's smaller crevices and it doesn't seem to be clinging to anything I have, I would be a bit careful of paint and such though). If it does end up "shedding" I am hoping it's nothing a lint brush can't handle, but I am storing it with some of my leftover material right now to see what happens. It's the kind of stuff that goes on sale when other Christmas decorations do, and that is coming up.

Dead Cosplay
11-28-2011, 05:08 AM
I just wanna say, everyone costumes I have seen looked absolutely amazing.

Hopefully in 2012 or 2013 my group can make it out. We will be doing all the Dragon aspects.

Myself being Ysera. Everyone and myself look forward to seeing you all =D

BeastlyCrow
12-12-2011, 10:05 AM
I was actually considering a Diablo 3 related cosplay or Ulduar Geared Hunter..It's too early for me to decide atm. :(

Falinadin
12-13-2011, 04:51 AM
After a LOT of thinking and searching, I've decided what I'm going to do next year. Shaman tier 5 with the Claw and Fist of Molten Fury (2 of my favorite weapons in the game).

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/378559_243173192414476_217819474949848_638792_1801 178657_n.jpg

This year I'm going to be learning about leather and LEDs!

ProjectMatrix
12-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Ohhhhh looks so cool! I like it! I'm sure you'll do amazing :)

Wren
12-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Hope everyones holidays are going well.

Irarenovo
12-21-2011, 01:19 PM
agreed, major grats :D

krystlejo42
01-13-2012, 11:35 PM
I think I may have changed my mind about what costume I want to make.... I stumbled across this NPC... and I kinda like it... a lot.

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=42684/stormcaller-mylra#modelviewer:10+0

LalaFTL
01-14-2012, 10:11 AM
I think I may have changed my mind about what costume I want to make.... I stumbled across this NPC... and I kinda like it... a lot.

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=42684/stormcaller-mylra#modelviewer:10+0

Haha, you could totally carry a little plush ogre and dangle it on a rope or something to help with recognizability. Kind of obscure, but she was a pretty awesome questgiver. :) I always like the Elements (iirc?) robes too; and no shoulders to worry about!

Snizabelle
01-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Okay, I think I've finally decided - Jaina Proudmoore! Unless something drastic comes up, that's what I'll be working on for 2012! I figure I'll do something a little simpler then harder plus no body paint and I won't have to wear a wig (I hope!)

For day 2 I'm still thinking maybe Taretha Foxton but...my Blackmoore recently stated he wasn't interested in Blizzcon this year so if I did I'd have to go it alone. Phooey.

dbchan
01-15-2012, 01:17 AM
For day 2 I'm still thinking maybe Taretha Foxton but...my Blackmoore recently stated he wasn't interested in Blizzcon this year so if I did I'd have to go it alone. Phooey.

I was in the same position a couple years ago with Lady Blaumeux. I was supposed to have two more horsemen but they didn't happen. I still did Blameux. Gotta do what you love!

ProjectMatrix
02-18-2012, 12:21 PM
*cricket chirps* Oh how I hate the stagnation that happens after a con is over :(

How is everyone doing? Anyone working toward their next cosplay already?

Cjiadon
02-18-2012, 08:12 PM
I was going to but since there is no Blizzcon, I'm going to wait longer before I start. I'll going to be moving in a few months so I'd rather wait til I'm settled into the new place before starting such a big project.

ProjectMatrix
02-20-2012, 12:08 AM
lol good point! I was super sad face when i found that out about a no blizzcon! HOWEVER! that gives me a chance to make a second costume for my main guy :) When Kerrigan is done then we will start on his! I hope we knock her out before fall semester starts up for me! Then we can spend ample amount of time getting his perfect and all LED'd up! I'm so excited he's never cosplayed and is going to let me make him a costume!

Reformed Tomboy
02-20-2012, 11:38 PM
I am overall glad there isn't a BlizzCon this year as that means I can save money for a change. I plan on doing some repairs and minor upgrades to my Ysera costumes, and possibly doing the same to Synrae. My original plan for '12 probably won't be as cool in '13, so I'm going to hold off on anything new for a while and see what happens in each universe before I decide for sure.

As to moving, because I seem to recall a bunch of us saying we were doing so this year, my move happened way before I thought, and as a result I'm contemplating throwing away my tail from '10. It takes up so much space and the overall costume wasn't even how I wanted it to be, but I'd also hate to toss something I spent so long on. Does anyone else hate having to decide what bits of costumes you're keeping, and what you're not?

ProjectMatrix
02-23-2012, 09:47 AM
OMG yes!!!! Due to one of my moves I had to toss most of my samus costume :( granted most of it was cracking but I cried seeing it all in the dumpster. I did save two of my favorite pieces from the costume (helmet and arm canon) but it was still heartbreaking. She just took up too much room.

I'm still gonna do infested kerrigan, even though she won't have the impact she would have had last year, however I don't care :) she is a massive costume and since she didn't transform into something crazier for heart of the swarm I am not bummed out. Plus I have both hands done and I am about to cast the neck and hair. So I put too much work into her. Plus my boyfriend wants to go so we are going to start on his once Kerrigan is finished. You guys don't think she will lose impact because there have already been Kerrigans, do you?

dbchan
02-23-2012, 04:15 PM
By the time I throw something out, I've usually learned to do much better. I look at these things and wonder how I ever spent so much time on something that looked so horrible.
THEN I RUIN IT. Like a trash the dress thing, but with a costume. Okay, maybe I only ever did it that once, to a costume that caused me extreme frustration.

I guess I mostly just come up with creative ways to store things. I used to have a whole room for my cosplay but now it's just a spare closet. Roll away tubs under the bed, installing more shelves, creative use of buckets and plastic dressers.