PDA

View Full Version : it seems a little lackluster for a courtesan :/

Creative Genius
10-30-2011, 05:06 PM
I have my courtesan cosplay finished (except for the shoes..I plan on buying some roman sandals) but...I dont know what it is about it...but it doesnt look like enough for me....it seems boring for a costume of a woman who is a courtesan.
can anyone help me by telling me anything i could add?

Here is my costume...>_< it's just the link to my costume on here.
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/400698/

Lisu-chan
10-30-2011, 05:18 PM
I myself transformed my espadrilles by adding ribbons on them, which I tie around my legs. ^_^ Maybe that helps?

I also don't think the sandals look boring, please note, a lot of courtesans walked barefoot anyway, that would be REALLY boring! (and painful, and unhygienic, though I do it nonetheless unless a convention has rules against it)

Good luck!

Creative Genius
10-30-2011, 05:33 PM
well I was going to make some of the tie all the way up the leg sandals just so they are accurate to the one courtesan ive seen wearing shoes XD

but what seems boring to me is the dress itself.

Lisu-chan
10-30-2011, 05:49 PM
add details ON the corset?
Some of them have fans...
Add pearl/ribbons to your hair?

http://jointhecreed.edublogs.org/files/2011/04/Assassins-creed-ii-20090923115453941_640w-2dsc62f.jpg

(Those are AC2 courtesans, still without sandals. But ACB courtesans are mostly the same, but with sandals)

Sorry, it must be a lack of sleep that I misread your first post. I thought you meant that you found your sandals boring. >.> Sorry!

TortureBunni
10-30-2011, 08:28 PM
I actually think that you look quite lovely. The bodice fits you very well.

If you want to add a little more flash to the dress, why not try adding some embroidery along the bodice and hem of the skirt? I think a gold thread colour would look great against the red.

A little bit of lace on the hem of your skirt might be a nice addition, too.

Creative Genius
11-01-2011, 11:53 AM
I think pearls in my hair would be really nice!

also...adding embroidery to the bodice i think would fix my boring problem X3
but..I have no clue how to embroider >_>

TortureBunni
11-01-2011, 02:58 PM
I think pearls in my hair would be really nice!

also...adding embroidery to the bodice i think would fix my boring problem X3
but..I have no clue how to embroider >_>

Here you go: http://sublimestitching.com/howto.html

Don't worry, embroidering is super-easy to learn. I had no idea how to do it before making my Garnet cosplay (the one in my icon,) and it was really easy to do. You pretty much just want to draw on your design, and then trace it with your thread, using different techniques.

Good luck.

tabbykat
12-12-2011, 12:24 PM
If you don't know embroidery, consider using braid trimmings... find gold coloured ones.... or you can use gold thread lace.....:) also some lace on the white skirt and ruffles would help....:)

I think you look great in the red dress btw.. that really must be your colour.....:)

Creative Genius
12-12-2011, 03:51 PM
I was actually thinking about getting a thin trimming like you suggested..and just putting it on it in a nice loopy design.
I also found some maroon lace that i might put on the skirt...but...I dunno yet.

before I made the dress I asked my sister and my friend what color the dress should be. they both told me the i would look the best in red...lucky for me it is also my favorite color X3 thank you for thinking it suits me..im glad<3

Lisu-chan
12-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Ironically in 16th century every Courtesan was forced to wear red so people could more easily recognize her as a courtesan. Or so I was taught! ^_^

magusnihilus
12-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Red color of lust reason why i think courtesans used it

Creative Genius
12-14-2011, 05:23 PM
im trying to figure out a design for the front of the corset with small gold braided trim and beads...bit..I cant figure one out.
any suggestions on patterns? have you seen a picture of something somewhere that would look really nice on my dress front?

I asked my sister to sketch something out for me..since shes an art major..she should be able to do something nice for me right? noooo..she doesnt want to ;___;

NaughtsApproach
12-16-2011, 12:40 AM
this is Creative Genius..
I'm having to use my sisters computer...due to the fact that mine seems to be infected with a ton of viruses >_> i have a scan going that has been at 99% for 2 hours >_>
but anyways!

here is the beading i did today on the front of my corset
well beading and hot glueing ribbon on >_>
I also added the burgundy ribbon to the skirt..and it can be seen a little bit in the picture
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/Vampirechibi/1215112208.jpg

tabbykat
06-14-2012, 02:52 PM
nice pattern you have done for your bodice....:) and the addition of the roses to the hip it would certainly liven up the entire outfit...

aragrey
06-15-2012, 02:01 PM
I like the bodice design! Really, a little contrasting trim or detail would totally push this over the top. Even though it already looks nice :)