PDA

View Full Version : What qualifies?

AuthenticEm
11-01-2011, 01:34 PM
In your opinion, what qualifies as being 'steampunk'. Yesterday was hallowe'en and i saw two people with Steampunk inspired fashion, but they were both VERY different.

Mangochutney
11-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Something that uses vaguely Victorian-era literature or science as an inspiration. Everything else is really up to the individual.

crazywuzhere
11-01-2011, 05:21 PM
well... Uh, steampunk is kind of based off the Industrial Era, Victorian Era, 1980's, 1990's, science fiction (-ish). Any time I think of steampunk, i think of that music video from the Ballad of Mona Lisa. Or I think of the movies Stardust and Treasure Planet.

Mehdia
11-01-2011, 07:26 PM
I like to think of Steampunk as using a Victorian aesthetic and creating slightly more fantastical versions of the technology of the era. It is after all a science fiction genre for the most part. And while I love goggles, corsets, and top hats for Steampunk designs, I don't consider them necessary to get the right look, nor do I think everything should have gears and brass covering it from head to toe. Some of the best Steampunk costumes I've seen are more Victorian with a touch of steam as opposed to something so outlandish a person couldn't actually function with it in real life.

Neko.Oni
11-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Take a look at the Girl Genius webcomic. The whole setting is steampunk. (dont have the URL on hand but just type "Girl Genius" into google and it will find it fast and easy)

SparrowRayne
11-25-2011, 09:15 PM
I think there are many sub-cultures into what is Steampunk and what is not. There is the very heavy following that take from Victorian, Scientific, Copper, Industrial, etc... roots, and there is stuff like... Ramona Flowers for lack of a better example. And all the stuff in-between those two mentioned. I'm sure I'll get an argument along the lines of "lol Ramona's not Steampunk you noob" but the question was, what do each of us think is Steampunk and this is what I think. :)

BlondieSundae
11-25-2011, 09:55 PM
I think there are many sub-cultures into what is Steampunk and what is not. There is the very heavy following that take from Victorian, Scientific, Copper, Industrial, etc... roots, and there is stuff like... Ramona Flowers for lack of a better example. And all the stuff in-between those two mentioned. I'm sure I'll get an argument along the lines of "lol Ramona's not Steampunk you noob" but the question was, what do each of us think is Steampunk and this is what I think. :)

I'd say she's more cyber punk since her clothing style is more modern... but still kind of a vein of steam punkl.