PDA

View Full Version : Northern Anime Festival announces its return with new brand

Tsukasa_1
11-02-2011, 12:10 PM
NEWS RELEASE

Northern Anime Festival announces its return with new brand

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada (November 2nd, 2011) - Northern Anime Festival® has announced today its new brand for their future events. These new events will be titled Ochiba~Con and will provide the community for Durham Region with a sample of Japanese arts and culture and will attract fans from all over with their colourful costumes into the Durham Region in the early fall of 2012.

The official executive committee of the Northern Anime Festival has chosen the name Ochiba~Con to represent the fall season that our convention is held. Ochiba means fallen leaves in Japanese romanji and represents a symbol of the season in Canada and Japan. The falling leaves are a vivid and vibrant part of the changing of the season from summer to autumn and the executive committee saw these vivid images as a way to bring a change to the convention. The committee will be incorporating the symbols of the falling leaves throughout our promoting of Ochiba~Con.

Ochiba~Con will be holding information sessions and contests in the coming year at a local convention near you. As well as information sessions and contests, Ochiba~Con will be hosting promotional events throughout the year in anticipation for the arrival of the Fall 2012 event.

About Northern Anime Festival

Since July 2004 the Northern Anime Festival has brought Japanese animation, heritage and culture to the Durham Region. In the Fall of 2010, the executive committee of the Northern Anime Festival undertook a break from their annual event to recreate a better convention experience for its attendees and guests. The executive committee of the Northern Anime Festival is pleased to announce their new event Ochiba~Con.

– 30 –

For further information please visit www.ochibacon.ca as well as www.northernanime.ca. Further information about Ochiba~Con and its events can be directed to Shelley Grey, Marketing Manager, by phone at 289-481-1364 or by email at shelley.grey@northernanime.ca.

COMMUNIQUÉ DE PRESSE

Le Festival Nord Anime annonce son retour avec du neuf

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada (le 2 novembre 2011) – Le Festival Nord AnimeMC a annoncé aujourd'hui sa nouvelle marque pour leurs événements futurs. Ces nouveaux événements seront intitulés Ochiba ~ Con et fourniront à la communauté de la région de Durham un échantillon des arts et de la culture japonaise qui attireront les fans de partout avec leurs costumes colorés au début de l'automne 2012.

Le comité exécutif officielle du Festival Anime Nord a choisi le nom Ochiba ~ Con pour représenter la saison d'automne que le commité organise. Ochiba signifie en japonais Romanji les feuilles tombées et représente le symbol de la saison au Canada et au Japon. La chute des feuilles sont une partie vivante et vibrante de l'évolution de la saison de l'été à l'automne et du comité exécutif ont vu ces images vives comme un moyen d'apporter un changement à la convention. Le comité intégrera les symboles de la chute des feuilles tout au long de notre promotion d'Ochiba ~ Con.

Ochiba ~ Con tiendra des séances d'information et des concours durant l'année à venir lors d'une convention locale près de chez vous. Ainsi que des séances d'information et de concours, Ochiba ~ Con sera l'hôte d'événements promotionnels toute l'année en prévision de l'arrivée de l'événement en automne 2012.

A propos du Festival Nord Anime

Depuis juillet 2004 le Festival Anime Nord a apporté l’animation, le patrimoine et la culture japonaise dans la région de Durham. En automne 2010, le comité exécutif de la Festival Anime Nord entrepris une pause dans leur manifestation annuelle afin de recréer une meilleure expérience de convention pour ses participants et invités. Le comité exécutif du Festival Anime Nord est heureux d'annoncer leur nouvel événement Ochiba ~ Con.

– 30 –

Pour plus d’informations s'il vous plaît visitez www.ochibacon.ca ainsi que www.northernanime.ca. Les requêtes de renseignements sur Ochiba ~ Con et ses événements peuvent être adressées à Shelley Grey, Responsable du Marketing, par téléphone au 289-481-1364 ou par courriel à shelley.grey@northernanime.ca.

Yami Sasha
11-09-2011, 02:13 PM
A fall con now? We definitely are short on cons in the fall :D Never been to any of the originals but its worth checking out.

no-more-thread
11-17-2011, 05:52 PM
fall?!!? why fall?!?! in not in the durham region during the fall!!! :(

red shirt 999
11-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Because Fall is full of awesome.

1. The temperature is perfect. not too hot or too cold. perfect weather for jeans and light jacket and similar cosplays. i can wear a nice suit without sweating or freezing.

2. the kids are back in school with projects and exams. (this includes collage and uni). Some of us are finished with school and have a steady job and having cash to burn. Getting time off in the fall is much easier. You can not believe how hard it is to enjoy something when kids and weeboos are running around been dicks. then you have to be a dick too just to shut them up.

3. all the best games comes out in the fall. perfect time to go to a convention and test drive them all.

and so on.

there is a void for a fun convention in the fall. Just don't use the same formula as other failed cons. con-no-baka, dotcon, and the likes. you want to copy good cons in the falls. like yumacon.

Mekou
11-17-2011, 07:21 PM
We felt that there was a better chance of growth for us in the Fall than any other time of year. The summer is filled with a lot of cons and events and there's so much indirect competition.

We hope there will be an exact date and location to accounce soon, but it'll be announced by the end of the year for sure. We're giving our options a thorough check out at the moment and taking care of some internal things first.

And yeah, we understand that it's school time for a lot of people, and even weekends can be filled with homework and other life obligations, but we will hope that some of you will take time out your schedule to come support us.

Oh! And anyone who's on facebook we've got some fun things for you to check out:

Fan Page - http://www.facebook.com/Ochibacon (be sure to show your support and 'like' us!)
Group - http://www.facebook.com/Ochibacon#!/groups/106625469453635/ (for people to hang out and chat with each other and even ask questions to staff)

no-more-thread
11-17-2011, 07:37 PM
its not just the work of school. alot of students stay in the GTA area for post secondary, but alot of us leave the area as well. :(

i understand choosing fall due to less competition, im just super disappointed that 1 con that during popular con season is no problem to get to is gona be impossible for me to attend.

Mekou
11-17-2011, 07:50 PM
I'm sure it's a huge bummer to not be able to attend. ;o; But hopefully we'll be able to do a couple small events in Durham during the summer or something. It's something we want to do, but it depends on a lot of internal matters.

Rainbowgasm
11-19-2011, 09:26 PM
comment deleted

Mekou
11-19-2011, 11:42 PM
Our move to the fall wasn't just some decision we made on a whim. We considered all the drawbacks, and in the end we decided that stepping in to take advantage of the gap between Fan Expo and Dot-con/DTAC would be the best choice not only for us, but for the majority of attendees. There's plenty of other events going on in the summer that deserve more support. I don't just means cons, but other events that groups and people put together for the local community.

The summer is full of too much going on as it is, It just doesn't make sense to try and compete with all of that. D:

Angathol
11-20-2011, 01:23 AM
To those who are making complaints:

If you're not planning on attending this convention because the date doesn't work for you, please refrain from cluttering this thread with negative comments solely based on that fact. There's a lot of organization that goes into conventions; they don't revolve around a few specific attendees. It's extremely entitled to think otherwise.

I'm not interested in debating anyone on this. If you want to get defensive, feel free to PM me instead of derailing this thread further.

Rainbowgasm
11-20-2011, 09:39 AM
To those who are making complaints:

If you're not planning on attending this convention because the date doesn't work for you, please refrain from cluttering this thread with negative comments solely based on that fact. There's a lot of organization that goes into conventions; they don't revolve around a few specific attendees. It's extremely entitled to think otherwise.

I'm not interested in debating anyone on this. If you want to get defensive, feel free to PM me instead of derailing this thread further.

I don't think anyone is trying to derail the thread, we're trying to help them avoid another dot-con style failure...

As for too many events in the summer... there are 8 weekends in the summer... we only went to 3 events this summer... that leaves 5 weekends in summer... and if there is a con planning a date in summer, people tend to plan around that...

MaiSheri
11-22-2011, 09:29 AM
As for too many events in the summer... there are 8 weekends in the summer... we only went to 3 events this summer... that leaves 5 weekends in summer... and if there is a con planning a date in summer, people tend to plan around that...

You know, I'm pretty sure that after 6 years of running NAF in the summer, they have a rather good idea of how many people attend and what their competition was >_>

Personally, an autumn date means I'm more likely to attend (especially since I'm not interested in either dot-con or DTAC) because summer is already full of conventions and it's a difficult time for me to take days off work. Hope you manage to book a suitable venue - I'm looking forward to seeing what Ochiba~Con will be offering ^_^

Pasiphilo
11-25-2011, 05:58 AM
More power to you, I say. The fall timing sounds reasonable to me - especially if it fills a void left by Dot Con, which, rumour has it, may not return - as does your broader coverage of Japanese culture beyond Anime. (If you haven't already, you might want to consider a joint promotional event with the JCCC.) Your press release evokes professionalism and your new logo is quite elegant. I, for one, will certainly check out the inaugural event. Best of luck with this exciting new venture!

Nagii
11-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Though I won't be attending this event as I haven't really gone to NAF in the past. I see nothing wrong with it being in the Fall, this kinda reminds me about what I watched on discovery last night about the ME generation that seems to be occurring lately. I wish all the staff of this con luck, they know what their doing and people should respect that.

Mekou
11-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Thanks guys for your positive words of encouragement. It's really helping modivate us to get things rolling! Within the next couple of weeks were going to be visting our venue options, so hopefully by the end of the year we'll have an exact date and location to promote.

rockstar416
01-23-2012, 03:17 AM
I'm happy to hear that the convention is back from its hiatus. Can't wait to attend this year.