PDA

View Full Version : "Fluffy Character" Cosplays

Rashvard
12-08-2003, 03:13 PM
Do ya know those kawaii fat-looking anime characters like Kero-chan, from Cardcaptor Sakura; Chiyo no Chichi, from Azumanga Daioh and Hantaro?

Well, I was thinking "it would be fun to cosplay some of those", for example, Bonta-kun from Full Metal Panic~Fumoffu - a teddy bear that carries a big gun. But I have absolutly no idea on how to start making a cosplay of this type.

I never tho' it was really possible to do one that looked good, until I saw this Kero-chan in 2002: http://www.cosplaybrasil.hpg.ig.com.br/animecon/2002/Sakura_Kero.jpeg

.. so, any ideas? ^^

Ashurachan
12-08-2003, 03:49 PM
Some French cosplayers have a specialty of this kind of things... so I've seen quite a few.
First thing : fluffy costumes are not cheap. You need to buy lots of synthetic fur, and quite a lot of medium to high density foam too.
Second thing : it's very long to do this kind of costume, especially if you want a good finish.
For example, I'll mention this Rita (from the Animaniacs cartoon) a friend of mine did recently :
http://www.ashura.org/conventions/japanimrennes2003/DSC01247.jpg
The head alone took something like 3 days nonstop (without sleeping... yes this guy IS crazy).
His method : he buys a cube of high density foam, and sculpts the head in it, then carves the head for his to fit in, plus a space to put a pair of small fans (the kind you have in your computer) with a 9V battery so he can breathe and not be too hot inside. The ears are also cut in foam, and he adds some wire to help it stay in place.
Then he covers it with synthetic fur, pasted with hot glue. He's very careful of the way of the synthetic hair, and cuts the borders very precisely so he does not cut the hair. In that way you can't see the joint between the different pieces of fur, even when you're very close.
The details (the eyes, nose, and inside of ears) are lightweight felt.
The feet are done about the same way, except it's a lot simpler.
The body suit is about the easiest - you can't sew synthetic fur with a machine, right, but you don't need to make perfect seams : they're hidden by the hair.

Rashvard
12-08-2003, 04:59 PM
Wow.. small fans? I never tho' about that o.

Anna_Chan
12-08-2003, 09:53 PM
I'm gonna do a Ryo-Ohki costume that's gonna really fuzzy with felt. ^^ And I get to carry around a big orange carrot too.

AnimeCat
12-09-2003, 01:21 AM
I've done several character cosplays in the past. I've got photos up here:

http://images.cosplay.com/showgallery.php?ppuser=907&cat=500&password=

Flippy
12-10-2003, 04:25 PM
cool stuff.....comp fan, wow. I just thought it was something else....i've seen tons of Ryo-Ohki costume's. also i saw one of Kirara which they used plastic pipes for the the front legs

kyandi-chan
12-10-2003, 06:31 PM
Oh yeah, the furries of cosplay.com know about lots of different things. I got a CPU fan lying around that I DEFINATELY want to put inside of Red XIII...

That Rita is cute!

AnimeCat
12-10-2003, 07:52 PM
Most of my head have cpu fans inside that ru off of 9 volt batteries. its actually pretty easy to do.

Flippy
12-10-2003, 09:43 PM
about how much does it cost for the fan?

AnimeCat
12-11-2003, 12:01 AM
Not too bad, really. Depends on where you get the parts from. I can make one with a detatchable battery pack (makes replacing the batteries easier) for under $25.

Flippy
12-14-2003, 03:34 PM
not bad...might just have to be Ryo-Ohki or that cat from .hack//sign (not a big follower of .hack...just like the character)

Rashvard
12-14-2003, 07:05 PM
or that cat from .hack//sign (not a big follower of .hack...just like the character)Maho, isn't it? Well.. I don't really think he is a "fluffy character" - ya can do good with a mask and fluffy gloves/boots, no? ^^

Flippy
12-14-2003, 10:46 PM
He has a giant in proprotional head; i would have to do make a head, tail, paws and feet...a mask would not do the job

But you are right, its not a traditional complete fluffy- no body suit...its more of a shippo (inu) type costume.

AnimeCat
12-16-2003, 12:09 PM
I've seen maho done, too. At AWA 8, I think, let me see if I can find a pic...

Ah, here we are: http://www.fansview.com/2002/awa/092802d042.jpg

This is what is commonly called a Partial Fursuit. It consists of a carved/moulded mascot-style head, hand-paws, feet-paws, and a tail, and is worn typically with street clothes. I've done these before, too. Cooler than a full fursuit, but not much. it works quite well for Maho, though.

Flippy
12-16-2003, 12:11 PM
cool....to know that you might get hot in that costume...hehe

Rashvard
12-17-2003, 12:09 PM
Ah, here we are: http://www.fansview.com/2002/awa/092802d042.jpgEr.. I'm a little scared.. o.

Flippy
12-18-2003, 05:48 PM
no need to worry...not a scary costume in the pic....i don't know about in person though

Caboose
06-09-2004, 01:22 AM
im planning on making a bonta-kun costume for AB2k5 and i wasnt planning on making out of fur but all out of felt, and the head out of wire covered with foam, and making the spots out of mesh and such so that it has ventialtion instead of fans, but the head would be like chicken wire covered with foam with sections cut out for eyes then covered with see through cloth and the foam covered with felt as well....is this a logical and still working approach to making one of these costumes?

Trinity369
07-06-2006, 06:48 AM
How do you see through a mascot costume? I can't see any eye holes...

Amazing...

Koisnake
07-07-2006, 02:50 PM
You sew out of a 'Fursuit' from the eyes. There is Fabric on the eyes that you can see out of, but other people can't see you in the costume through them. The fabric is called Chiffon, but you can also use Buckram.

Its easier if you make a head out of full foam rather than Wire. Its much cheaper and it turns out looking much much better. There is MANY MANY techniques on making a fursuit head, and I don't recommend Wire and Foam. And an All-foam head is much much lighter too.

meepuns
07-08-2006, 03:40 PM
I'm not too sure if someone's posted this already, but a few site that might help you with your fursuiting.

http://www.matrices.net/fursuiting.asp

Hope it helps ^^

Nightengale37
07-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Do you ever get claustraphoic inside of the head?

And where exactly do you place the fans in the head? Like are they blowing on your face or like around the neck.

*is rather curious*

Koisnake
07-08-2006, 07:29 PM
You place the fan around the snout area, so it blows unto your face. Another way is to install "pockets" in the bodysuit of your fursuit and insert icepaks into them.