PDA

View Full Version : Non-anime/video game/japanese cosplays! annoying?

keirikyoki
11-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Hey ya'll.
I know of alot of people who think that outside cosplays are annoying and should not be done. This includes like American films, traditional comic books, etc.
What are your thoughts?

and please be considerate of others so please no foul language, but continue to be honest.

Stormraven24
11-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Cosplay is cosplay. Limiting myself to just one type of media from just one country is just stupid. Why can't I make costumes from movies and TV shows and whatnot?

Celia Rose
11-09-2011, 08:58 AM
It doesn't bother me at all.

In fact, my best friend makes one of the best 10th Doctor's I've ever seen. :)

Why limit yourself to a certain media, anyway? If you want to cosplay it, then do it!

ToroSonyCat
11-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Not at all! Why would they be annoying?

rogueofheart
11-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Honestly? The first I ever experienced of cosplay was people dressing up as characters from Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings so even before I decided to try it myself, I've never seen it as something that's exclusive to any particular media. The more the merrier, I say.

Koda89
11-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Why should it, considering cosplay pre-dates anime, manga, and video games?

The more annoying thing for me is when conventions have a rule for their main masquerade contest being restricted to just anime, manga, and Japanese video game characters, leaving only the hall cosplay for all of the other outfits, even if the best outfit at the entire convention is not of Japanese origin. :^\

sakuratyan
11-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Definitely not a problem with me. I know people that have problems with me because I am working on Homestuck cosplays; and Homestuck, not being a manga or anime or anything from Japan, is hated by some of my friends. So I'm out of the loop a bit.
I know the term was coined from Japan, but there's so much more to cosplaying than just anime and manga and video games! I have seen really awesome cartoon cosplays and movie cosplays and I don't think that cosplaying something that isn't of Japanese origin shouldn't stop people from doing what they want to do.

nottheperfume
11-16-2011, 08:00 AM
I personally love non-anime cosplays-- while I've heard a smart arsed comment or two I usually ignore it; because as a majority people will react happily to you like they would anyone else.

Kazukii
11-18-2011, 09:13 PM
I like seeing all kinds of cosplays done personally. Though I can see why soem fans might be getting a bit miffed if they see Batman at their Anime Con. Though for them to get really uptight about it eh.. not so much.

MercuryLampe
11-20-2011, 10:44 AM
To be honest, most things I cosplay are of non-Japanese origin. I think it's annoying when people get annoyed at non-Japanese cosplays. :/
I mean, really, now. At the last con I went to, the absolute best cosplays there were Disney characters, Tim Burton characters, Homestuck characters, Doctor Who, etc.
Cosplay is universal; if you want to cosplay someone from an anime, go for it. From a Disney movie, go for it. But putting others down or not acknowledging them just because they're not cosplaying someone from Japan is ridiculous.

ZuneChi
11-20-2011, 11:10 AM
I don't think it's annoying, cosplaying non-anime is still cosplay
I don't see a reason to be annoyed by non-anime, non-videogame, non-manga cosplays
xD But this is just my opinion

Mangochutney
11-20-2011, 11:20 AM
I've never met anybody who had an actual problem with it. The only people I've ever heard complain about it do so online, and they're almost always quite young and new to the hobby or poorly-adjusted and overly judgemental on other subjects too.

Thinking that all costumes must be from Japanese media is just such a silly idea that I ignore it entirely.

Shana05
11-20-2011, 02:35 PM
That's weird as it's often said cosplay started with Star Trek. I'm not sure if that's accurate though.

If you're talking about these cosplays at anime conventions, well if it bothers you look the other way. It's still odd as a lot of anime cons these days are holding panels for non-anime/video game subjects.

Poody
12-02-2011, 01:57 AM
So we should all just cosplay in crappy store bought Naruto costumes....

Blood_Sword
12-02-2011, 02:22 AM
I have no problems with it; cosplay is cosplay no matter what the source the character is from. If someone enjoys it then who am I to say otherwise?
I find it kinda refreshing actually to see a Legolas or Superman wandering around in the sea of anime characters.

Neko.Oni
12-02-2011, 02:41 AM
Though I can see why soem fans might be getting a bit miffed if they see Batman at their Anime Con.

This is the ONLY problem I have with non-anime cosplay, if you wanna cosplay Batman at Comicon then more power to you! (please dont start up this fight again, just making a personal point)

Otherwise... why not? Now, I am a little annoyed at the people who "cosplay" in what is impossible to tell from street clothes (but then that includes anime: somone with brown hair, no makeup and an over-sized sweater is NOT cosplaying L!)

Of course I'm currently putting together a Rainbow Dash cosplay *points at signature* (also I started "cosplaying" furry/fursuit) so I could be a bit biased...

Celiabeth
12-05-2011, 02:57 AM
I think the poll have a "I think you are stupid" option. Seriously what should it matter what other people cosplay as? The idea of dressing up as a character did not originate in japan

Yui
12-05-2011, 04:16 AM
Hahah. I *hope* not...cuz my next dozen costumes or so are all Canadian in origin. XP

I actually have many acquaintances who do, for some reason, have some sort of issue with this - i.e. that if you are at an "anime" convention, you should only wear Japanese-related costumes. This is not something I've really ever understood. I expect as anime cons continue to fuse more general overlapping fandoms and mutate into more open-ended sci-fi/fantasy/comic cons, this attitude will become non-existent as well. When I started cosplaying, video game and j-music outfits (all I really did myself) were not even considered in the theme of an anime con...and by now, both are so much the welcomed norm it is not even an issue. Give it a few more years.

supergeekgirl
12-05-2011, 10:01 AM
This thread appears every couple of months with the same answers. Yes, there are a few whiny people who feel cosplay is some sacred Japanese thing that needs to stay "pure", but they are, again, few (and wrong, as con costuming started in the U.S.). Most of us have done non-Japanese stuff at anime cons because, let's face it, we have other interests too, and we don't want to have to wait for the "appropriate" con to wear them.

The Saturday Doctor Who shoot was the largest photoshoot at ACEN this year, by the way. It dwarfed everything else including Hetalia. Just saying.

toddx77
12-08-2011, 05:15 AM
I don't see what the big deal is, I cosplay to cons as green lantern and very much enjoyed the marvel/dc gathering at fanime this year. However I can understand why some people may feel that way. Yui brings up a good point about how anime cons can mutate into more open ended sci fi cons/fantasy/ and comic cons and that right there is where the problem lies I think. Take comic con for example. It started out as just a comic book convention. Over time more was added such as comic book tv shows, comic book movies, some anime, etc. Now look at what comic con has become. It has gotten so big that the comic book element seems lost. I get having the actors from Avengers, Green Lantern, Thor, Captain America, etc all be there because its realted to comics but Twilight? Glee? Shameless? Even anime and video game companies have booths there now and if you tried to get tickets this year you know how big comic con is. My point is by allowing different elements into the con over time they took over. I don't have a problem with people wearing One Piece or Naruto costumes to comic con because manga is a comic. I do have a problem with something like Twilight being there and attracting a bunch of non comic book fans to buy tickets. This may sound eletist of me but I beleive a comic book fan actually has more right to go to a con and should be able to buy tickets first.

So I just fear that years down the line a convention like fanime could turn into a convention that has too much non anime stuff going on which just seems wierd. I mean for example if at this years fanime they had a panel for the young justice voice actors and that was the only american cartoon there I would be cool with it. If there were panel for young justice, green lantern, avengers earths mightiest heroes, and Ultimate Spider-Man than that would have me worried a bit.

Man Bro
12-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Why should anime cosplayers be annoyed? They're the main people cosplaying at NON anime conventions.

Double standards suck :/

Neko.Oni
12-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Most of us have done non-Japanese stuff at anime cons because, let's face it, we have other interests too, and we don't want to have to wait for the "appropriate" con to wear them.

I actually changed my 'con schedual for next year because I'm doing a non-anime cosplay (Rainbow Dash)- going to Dragon*Con instead of AWA...

DollyBoo
12-10-2011, 06:39 PM
I actually changed my 'con schedual for next year because I'm doing a non-anime cosplay (Rainbow Dash)- going to Dragon*Con instead of AWA...

You have some personal integrity, power to you. Although, the majority isn't exactly going to share your integrity. Anime conventions that want to succeed will be having 'crossbreeds'.
It seems like your sort of gently putting some implications that others should agree with you, all apologies if what I'm saying seems rude.
Personally, I haven't cosplayed anime in over two years, and go to about 6 anime cons a year. I've been cosplaying webcomic media, because, in my personal integrity, I will cosplay what my heart is set on, not what convention I'm going to.
I just get that heartfelt desire to cosplay a certain character. In my mind, nothing will stop me from doing that, if its in my ability to fulfill my own wishes to make it.
If your annoyed by cosplayers cosplaying Batman to an anime convention, cool. I don't think that person is going to stop though.

Neko.Oni
12-10-2011, 06:53 PM
You have some personal integrity, power to you. Although, the majority isn't exactly going to share your integrity. Anime conventions that want to succeed will be having 'crossbreeds'.

Oh yes, Spaz and I had a long discussion of this in the "steampunk in my anime con?!" thread in the Steampunk forum. Ideally, yes, everyone should stick to their own cons, but realistically, it's not gonna happen because the cons cant/wont enforce it mostly due to every head in the door is more $$$ in their pocket...

And thank you - I'd be a hypocrite to say "you should only cosplay the subject matter" then do a US cartoon character at an anime con. The only exceptions imo are crossover mediums, such as "Manga" at Comicon, where you can argue that you ARE on-topic...

It seems like your sort of gently putting some implications that others should agree with you, all apologies if what I'm saying seems rude.

Your slick. Yes, I am implying that. I was trying to be more subtle than usual for me, but clearly I need more practice...

I've been cosplaying webcomic media,

I so want to see a group cosplay of "Order of the Stick" now... lol

Or, on a more serious note, El Goonish Shive...

If your annoyed by cosplayers cosplaying Batman to an anime convention, cool. I don't think that person is going to stop though.

I wouldnt ask them to. If somone dressed as Batman were to walk up to me and ask me, I'd openly tell her (bizarely enough I've never seen a male batman cosplay o_O) that I think her costume is X but that she would be more 'in her element' at Comicon or Dragon*Con, etc. I'd never be flat-out rude, but if asked I would politely give my opinion.

CosmictheRunt
01-12-2012, 05:03 PM
I think anyone that close-minded wouldn't necessarily be my friend. :P

keirikyoki
01-16-2012, 12:59 AM
its great to hear all the different comments about it! thanks for all of you who were capable of giving your opinion without being a complete jerk...

I myself do not care either. My reason for asking was because of certain con's where panels and events are limited to cosplays related to anime, games and japanese culture. I personally love seeing animated characters as cosplays but also there are super cool characters based on films and live-action things, etc.

Norakun91
02-28-2012, 05:31 AM
I don't see a problem with it. I love seeing a batman cosplay. Got a great cosplay group last year at my local con tokyo in tulsa. It was batman, robin, poison ivy, the joker and a robber. It was awesome. But my con is like a video game, comic, anime, everythign including steampunk and bounty hunters con. Lol I loved it.

I personally don't see anything wrong with it. I love it and my mom loves seeing pictures of people dressing up as her favorite superheroes.

We also had a doctor who group...my gf screamed and got pictures of them.

miyavi honey
06-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Dude, I wish my country do more American games/cartoons/comics or movie/tv characters

you havent seen my country cosplays... THEY ONLY DO VOCALOIDS and ONLY JAPANESE CHARACTERS... ITS DRIVES ME INSANE! QAQ

only me and a very small bunch of friends does american stuff...
made me so sad how narrow minded the cosplayers in my country...sigh
so be grateful that your country have more variety...

spookysage
07-02-2012, 06:45 AM
its great to hear all the different comments about it! thanks for all of you who were capable of giving your opinion without being a complete jerk...

I myself do not care either. My reason for asking was because of certain con's where panels and events are limited to cosplays related to anime, games and japanese culture. I personally love seeing animated characters as cosplays but also there are super cool characters based on films and live-action things, etc.

Exactly; it's the panels and events that set the theme of a con. It doesn't matter if everyone dresses up as stormtroopers or if nobody cosplays at all, and it doesn't matter how many posters of Doctors or Avengers are up for sale in the artists' alley. And some people can only go to one convention a year or are just hanging out with friends. If there's some kind of impromptu Homestuck vs. TF2 vs. ponies danceoff in the lobby (and nobody's breaking any rules), I say let 'em have their fun like everyone else, because that's what we're all here for anyway.

I'm pretty biased though, since it'll be a couple years before I think I'll be skilled enough to pull off any of the anime or game characters I like. And my girlfriend's crossplayed guys in suits a few years running because it's not too complicated and she hates showing skin, which limits her Japanese options (at least as far as stuff I know she likes) to Turks until she breaks the habit.

Hmm, although she does really love the Turks...

Volnixshin
07-03-2012, 11:39 PM
I hate when people cosplay comic books characters and non-anime costumes. This is an ANIME CON, GET WITH IT

IDJITS

Rangiku12
07-04-2012, 02:09 AM
Most video game and comic characters all start out like anime ones...on a piece of paper or the mind then they get animated. Anime is short for Animation so they all are the same thing.

@volnixshin I think anime cons let ppl dress the way they want for a long time. You need to catch up with the present..

dizzymonochrome
07-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Seems like this thread was fishing for a flame war or something. Just by posing your question...no I won't even open that can of worms. :P Sorry.

Personally never heard of anyone getting all up in a fuss about non-anime cosplays at anime cons. Or even ravers at anime cons. Does anyone else get that? Seems a majority of people I now see at anime cons in Toronto are ravers. Is it "we're ravers too"? Or "we're just here for the music"? I'm confused.

Anyway, people should cosplay however they want at whatever con they want. It shouldn't matter. Conventions are for anyone to go to and be accepted. No elitist bs or exclusivity. Just because it has anime in its name, doesn't mean you can't wear whatever the hell you want.

Volnixshin
07-26-2012, 01:41 PM
Most video game and comic characters all start out like anime ones...on a piece of paper or the mind then they get animated. Anime is short for Animation so they all are the same thing.

@volnixshin I think anime cons let ppl dress the way they want for a long time. You need to catch up with the present..

I was being heavily sarcastic

I've never cosplayed a non-comic book character in all my 12 years.

dizzymonochrome
07-30-2012, 02:38 PM
I was being heavily sarcastic

I've never cosplayed a non-comic book character in all my 12 years.

Sarcasm? What's sarcasm? Don't you know everyone here is SERIOUSLY SERIOUS, DUDE? jeez! Be more serious!

Neener_nina
07-31-2012, 02:05 AM
Didn't cosplay originate from people dressing up as train drivers and star trek uniforms? I see no reason why it should be limited to anime and manga.

Volnixshin
07-31-2012, 07:42 AM
Sarcasm? What's sarcasm? Don't you know everyone here is SERIOUSLY SERIOUS, DUDE? jeez! Be more serious!

SRSLY?!

If I get any more serious I'll have a permanent Gendo Ikari face, and trust me, that is not the face my girl wants to see in the middle of coitus

Lady Death
08-08-2012, 09:48 AM
It just so happens that "cosplay" was a term coined by the Japanese, when in fact, it's of Western Origins!

It's just that Anime is more popular with the older kids. You can cosplay anything you want! :D

dizzymonochrome
08-09-2012, 12:40 PM
SRSLY?!

If I get any more serious I'll have a permanent Gendo Ikari face, and trust me, that is not the face my girl wants to see in the middle of coitus

*snicker* coitus. Hi Sheldon. icwydt