PDA

View Full Version : Inuyasha costume help!PLZ!

Inuyasha356
12-08-2003, 06:47 PM
HI,i need serious help for my inuyasha costume(wwhich i havent started yet).I would REALLY,REALLY love it if someone out there can plz give me some kind of pattern for inuyashas kimono.I would really appretiate it.I just started to get into cosplay.So can u plz help a newbie in need?It wold really help me.

Eleryth
12-08-2003, 07:06 PM
Simplicity makes one, apparently, as does Butterick. Neither is authentic, but looks like one.

Searching 'kimono pattern' in google gave me these links:
http://www.japanesekimono.com/kimono_fabric.htm
http://www.geocities.com/kimono_history/kimono_patterns.htm
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/5187/kimono.html
http://www.round-earth.com/patterns.html
http://folkwear-birchstreet.com/asian.html

If you want more, just do the search again and use any link you like.

To make Inuyasha's, any pattern would require a little bit of modification. Just make a mock-up first, out of cheap fabric, so you can learn how the pattern goes together, and what you have to fix to make it look like how you want it to.

Good luck.

Edit: If you want the pants, search for 'hakama'. There have been many threads on this topic. Google should give you some patterns as well. Sarcasm has one up on her site (search 'den of sarcasm'). Normal hakama don't go tight at the ankles, though, so you'd have to modify them, too.

Inuyasha356
12-08-2003, 07:24 PM
Thanks alot i really appretiate it.....

Aer
12-08-2003, 07:30 PM
For all my costumes, I go to JoAnn's and look through all the pattern books until I find a pattern that resembles what I am trying to make. Any alterations can be easily made. For my Inuyasha costume, I used a kimono top pattern, and for the pants, I basically made them really poofy/baggy, with a pant pattern resembling "genie" pants. For the slits in the sleeves/waist, I just cut them out once I was done with both shirt and pants. The fabric I used doesn't fray, so it was pretty easy.

damiensrealm
12-09-2003, 02:33 PM
I am a noob to this too so if you get any info about your costume plz send it to me at damiensrealm@hotmail.com

Inuyasha356
12-09-2003, 03:31 PM
Aer who is Joanne?Also everyone who goes on this thread plz if you dont have any inuyasha costume layouts plz feel free to send me links to pics of inuyasha and tips for making an inuyasha costume.Plz i want my costume to be done before AnimeNorth2004.(also if u dont have anything for inuyasha i am also open to miroku as well...)

Eleryth
12-09-2003, 09:43 PM
Joann's is a fabric store that also sells patterns. Other fabric stores include Fabricland, Bouclair, Michaels (maybe, it's more a crafter's place)... all you have to do is look in your local yellow pages, maybe under 'fabric' or 'sewing supplies' or something.

Also, read the threads about Inuyasha. Just search the forum (I believe in the upper right hand corner). You could also search 'hakama' (pants), 'kimono' (top) or anything else related to the show. There's been numerous threads about this, as it's a popular costume. You might also want to look in the props thread for information about how to make his tetsusaiga (sword) or necklace. And, wig forum for wig things, of course. :)

Inuyasha356
12-10-2003, 06:00 PM
Thanks Eleryth i really apprettiate it.I know theres a fabricland in barrie(i live near there) ive seen it before,i'll go there.I checked micheals they dot have anything good.(p.s. does fabricland have designs for kimonos?)

Eleryth
12-10-2003, 07:07 PM
(p.s. does fabricland have designs for kimonos?)

Yes, Fabricland carries Butteric, Vogue, Burda, Simplicity, Mccalls.... Butterick has a kimono pattern, and so does Simplicity. Flip through the pattern books next time you visit your Fabricland or ask one of the people who work there for assistance. That's what they are there for, after all! And bring in a picture, so they have a better idea what you are looking for.

You can pre-search some patterns on their websites: www.simplicity.com, www.mccall.com (vogue, butterick, mccall). Kimono style patterns are usually under the costumes section.

Just a note of caution - they might look like a kimono, but are not done the traditional way. They are good, though, for a beginner sewer and costumer.

kerochan
12-10-2003, 07:11 PM
folkwear also makes a pattern for hakama's too and they aren't that difficult to make. The instructions are fairly simple to follow(made my seung mina 3rd player from a folkwear pattern) and they are very accurate.

Inuyasha356
12-10-2003, 08:52 PM
Thanks again Eleryth!I'll go to fabricland and check out the designs.Should i just bring in a picture of inuyasha and show them?Will they understand by just a glance of his clothes and a brief description?

Inuyasha356
12-10-2003, 08:53 PM
I forgot to thank kerochan so.....Thanks kerochan ^_^ the more help I get the better!

Inuyasha356
12-13-2003, 04:32 PM
I also want to ask is were is JoAnne located is just one sigle store or is it a nationwie store?Also is there one located in canada?

Inuyasha356
12-31-2003, 09:58 AM
Plz someone write something here i haven;t got a reply in weeks......

Aer
12-31-2003, 11:41 AM
Thanks again Eleryth!I'll go to fabricland and check out the designs.Should i just bring in a picture of inuyasha and show them?Will they understand by just a glance of his clothes and a brief description?

Just bring a reference picture for yourself and look at the patterns. Have you even taken any of the advice people here have given you?

You can always search google yourself to find pics of inuyasha or helpful pages on making his costume. I know there are some out there.

Allia
12-31-2003, 11:43 AM
I don't know about a store in Canada, but I live in Rochester, NY and we have a couple of JoAnne stores here. I go to AN too! It only takes about three hours to drive there. I belive Joann is located almost everywhere in the U.S., but again I'm not sure about Canada. I'm sure they have a website you could look at. What are you thinking of getting at Joann that you could not get at a local fabric type store around you?

I'm also hoping to be Inuyasha for AN04. I kinda cheated, I bought the main part of the costume online on ebay. I have already made the necklace. I bought beads at Joann and I painted them. I got sculpy clay and made the fangs for the neclace. I put them on an elastic string so I could put it over my head, but that did not work so well. I think I need stronger string. I still need to make the ears and stlye and find a wig. I also need to decide on which form of his sword to make. Sorry for not being really any help. You said on the anime north message bord to come and help you out, so I came and I tried to lend a hand.

Inuyasha356
12-31-2003, 02:21 PM
O thanks you guys....hehehe ^_^;

Silver Minx
01-01-2004, 01:18 AM
I reccommend you make your own patterns. It's not too difficult.
PM me and I might be able to scan in my patterns for you.
T_T So much scanning to do for everybody...

Also- It's a good idea to use good material that will drape nicely, like cotton. If you ask for blood red, you'll usually get a good range to choose from. Wit hteh under shirt, just cheat. ^^;; Buy some fabric and stitch it on... Just make sure nobody finds out. :untrust: And it's best not to have too many stitching lines with this costume. You'd be surprised how simple Inuyasha really is. It's a good choice if you've just started cosplaying.

With the ears, use fabric and cardboard and hot glue. (PVC if you can't get your hands on hot glue). If you use small pieces of cardboard as the main frame of the ears and just glue the fabric onto it, you'll be able to build on them to get the right shape.

You can also buy Acuvue 2 cosmetic contact lenses in Autumn Red for the cat eye look. Grab two friends and make them buy contacts, then you can have them for $33 each, rather than $55 for one pair.

=)

Inuyasha356
01-27-2004, 05:54 PM
Any more suggestions before i dont read this thread anymore?