PDA

View Full Version : Yuna and Tidus "cosplayed to death??"

Shinobu
10-30-2002, 07:25 AM
Is it just me or is Yuna being OVER-Cosplayed?....
Every time I go to a cosplay site it's almost always got a Yuna piccy on it. I mean the dress is nice and all but I think there are too many!! Same with Tidus in a way....Not as many as there are Yunas, but don't you think that they are becoming cosplayed to death? @_@
Am I the only girl here that HASNT cosplayed as Yuna? XD
And why dose everyone want to make it? I played only bits of the game so.... I might not understand... -_-
Someone said that Rinoa was cosplayed to death but you see very few of those now-a-days.

KuroBara
10-30-2002, 09:30 AM
I think it's a very pretty dress, and I even like her new outfit too. I personally haven't cosplayed Yuna, but I don't think there's anything wrong with cosplaying a popular outfit. I think it really is gorgeous, and flattering to a lot of different body types. Plus, it looks comfy!

Adella
10-30-2002, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Shinobu
Is it just me or is Yuna being OVER-Cosplayed?....

AMEN. I haven't cosplayed Yuna either, and don't plan to.

Koumori
10-30-2002, 10:38 AM
I'll second what KuroBara said. I enjoy seeing all the different versions and variations people come up with for their own interpretations of a popular costume.

soshi
10-30-2002, 11:37 AM
I think any female FF costume, 7-10, can be considered overcosplayed. ^_^;; except maybe Freya...

I'm actually almost done with an entirely blue version of Yuna. I wanted to cosplay her, because I love the character and the costume, but ... I wanted it in blue. XD;;; if it turns out ok (which I think it's going to) I'm going to make an all brack an red one. >D and Michi said she'd be my other-colored Tidus waaiiiiiii *^^* I might wear it to US-JE, but... I'm not sure. either way, I'll post pictures when it's done. :D

oh, here's a little dolly of my blue Yuna I made when I got bored.. .>.>

http://www.knock-turn.net/stuff/yuna_doll.jpg

Sami
10-30-2002, 12:00 PM
I think it's okay for people to cosplay what they want, and if they want to make a Yuna, more power to them! I'm sure there's lots of ways to make it original and different from all the rest. It's like variations on a theme, kinda!

But as far as I go... no thanks. I don't really like the character to begin with, but I try not to cosplay characters that you know you'll see like.. 59 of, at a con. I try to go for the more non-cosplayed characters, which almost always turn out to be my favorites anyways, because they're so.. unpopular? LOL.. you know what I mean. (Maybe?)

I think all the Yunas, Tidus', etc. from a con should get together with all of their kind and take a big All Yuna pic.. XD That would be cool!!

Ranma Saotome
10-30-2002, 12:06 PM
I thought that Tidus was overplayed and not Yuna. But then again, I don't go to that many cons. ^^

TyJILDown
10-30-2002, 01:04 PM
I also agree, I also don't plan on doing her as well! *thinks Yuna is annoying, don't kill me!*

A lot of FF characters are over cosplayed, but it's always nice seeing them so I don't mind much. The next two I plan on doing has hardly EVER been done, in fact, one of them hasn't been done yet either *grins*

Chosuke
10-30-2002, 01:30 PM
-Also thinks Yuna is VERY annoying.-

I don't mind most ff cosplayers even if the costumes are usually WAY overdone,but I find that out of a group of ten Yunas.. about 3 are done with effort,The rest just looked thrown together ..pictures only including them cause shes popular.
Well done Yunas are beautiful,the crappy ones are just annoying.

And Tidus,I dont see nearly as many of him.. but its basically the same thing.
I have seen many an amazing brotherhood thoug,thee weapons always seem to be done well..

Meiotika
10-30-2002, 03:16 PM
I'll admit that there are lots of people who cosplay as Tidus and Yuna, but I don't mind it at all.

If you want to cosplay as a certain character, do so, by all means, whether or not the character has never been cosplayed before or has been cosplayed a million times.

That feeling you get when you're in a costume you love is one of the very premises of cosplay. However, another premise of cosplaying is creativity. If I see someone dressed as a character that's never been done before, or is done very well, I'll be very impressed.

heki-chan
10-30-2002, 03:37 PM
yupyup, it may be overcosplayed, but how many are done /well/?

*shrugs* im just an accuracy freak thats all^_^;

ive cosplayed yuna, n ive made tidus for a friend...personally i kinda lik having a couple other of the same characters around the con^_^ cuz i can connect to them (the other cosplayers) a lot bcuz /they/ know the pain that ive gone thru for my own costume as well, so its great for meeting new friends!^_^
and plus, its fun to take photos with other yunas^_^ but anyways thts my opinion^_^

~heki

krystal1314
10-30-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Koumori
I'll second what KuroBara said. I enjoy seeing all the different versions and variations people come up with for their own interpretations of a popular costume.

Yups yups ^^
I really don't mind seeing 34520432 different Yunas/Tidus at a con, or as a matter of fact, ANY other overcosplayed characters! It's interesting to see so many different interpretations of their costumes ^^
I'm actually making a Yuna costume too :p

Chosuke
10-30-2002, 04:56 PM
But your Yuna was virtually perfect Winnie! xD

Dark Vision
10-30-2002, 05:03 PM
Tidus and Yuna are trendy costumes, in time, they're be less and less. Overall, are there really too many? I don't really think there are many people actually doing those costume. and those numbers are overshadowed by the kenshin cosplayers. So it shouldn't matter how many there are, its not like each one is the same costume. I've even done tidus, its actually one of my more fun costumes to be in. and isn't that the point...fun.

xdeletex
10-30-2002, 05:42 PM
I myself have been seeing quite a few Lulu's, and Faye Valentines.

But, I'm not complaining. Like others have said, I also like seeing how each cosplayer goes about making the costume.

They make Lulu's dress look so easy to make.

-_-

Chosuke
10-30-2002, 05:47 PM
tell me about it.
I would think that just the lulus in america alone own more belts then the population of Canada does. xD

Dark Vision
10-30-2002, 05:54 PM
ack! lulu's dress easy to make...
*remembers friend going through the process, then remembers her trying to wear and move in it
*then remembers her in the middle of the street cuz she couldn't cross the street fast enough.

Chosuke
10-30-2002, 06:03 PM
xD Do lulus like have to waddle?

heki-chan
10-30-2002, 06:16 PM
My sister had to XD *lmao!*

it was fun watching her :devil:
n then we all had to help her sit down...we had to do it by lowering her down VERY slowly by her arms while she would fall back on her heels LOL! *very complicated* ^_^;;;;

~heki

Hikaru
10-30-2002, 06:18 PM
I've seen many people cosplaying as Yuna and I don't blame them. Yuna's costume is cool and I want to cosplay as her someday. I don't see that many Tidus cosplayers though. I do know that Lulu has been done a lot and Lulu has a spiffy costume too. it doesn't matter to me how many times a character is cosplayed. It isn't hurting anyone, is it?

MikigamiTokiya
10-30-2002, 06:26 PM
I don't mind all the Tidus and yunas but it's the Spike Spiegel 's that get me ><;; If i see another one I could just scream... If any of you have evere been to www.cosplayhell.com you'll know what I mean... We all know spike is beyond cool but I think that character has suffered more then enough

Kamui Motoaki
10-30-2002, 07:28 PM
Huy makes a very good titus. .
and good ones are hard to come by. . like. .
a really good Major Kusanagi. .^_^

TyJILDown
10-30-2002, 08:40 PM
Yes, Lulu's skirt was VERY hard to walk in and I made a 2 foot train on mine so it kept getting walked on... Lulu's costume is one that can be done so many different ways, it's not as easy as it looks either.

But yea, bring on the FF cosplayers, you know you can't hate them just because they're overdone ^^;;

soshi
10-30-2002, 09:00 PM
how can you hate ANYONE just because it's overdone? if people are cosplaying someone they like, who cares if it's overdone?

the only thing that bothers me is people who cosplay popular stuff JUST because it's popular, and don't really like the game/show/band. it happens a lot in jrock cosplay... people cosplay the "cool goth stuff" just because they can.. and that's really insulting to the musicians. -_-;

Ennui
10-30-2002, 09:33 PM
All FF is overplayed, overhyped, and overcosplayed. period.

Shinobu
10-30-2002, 09:52 PM
To the person who talked about a huge Yuna group, I did see a group pic on Fan's Veiw of about 20 Yunas. @_@ so weird!!!!!

soshi
10-30-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Ennui
All FF is overplayed, overhyped, and overcosplayed. period.

so what?

Dark Vision
10-30-2002, 10:45 PM
Its not a big deal, can everyone be orginal. How many chi's will there be at next AX. I'm predicting at least 100 how the trend is going. Is it bad, it might get repetitious but I'll enjoy seeing everyone's intrepretation of it. Every year there's going to be some strong clusters of a certain costume, should we ban those predicted costumes, of course not. One final note, usually popular costumes are usually how people get into this art call cosplay.

Adella
10-30-2002, 10:56 PM
YAHOO TYJILDOWN AND CHOBRAT! I HATE YUNA TOO!!!

chii's.. yunas.... tiduses... fayes... moogles... lulus... they're all over cosplayed. they need their own convention. ^o^

Dark Vision
10-30-2002, 11:00 PM
so all final fantasy, chobits, and cowboy bebop cosplayers should all be banned and sent to a different convention?????

Ennui
10-30-2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by soshi
so what?

so they're overplayed, overhyped and overcosplayed. why the hell are you so defensive? i'm just bored of seeing FF cosplays. i couldn't care about any of them, really.

its just my opinion, so kick back. jesus, we got some touchy people here.

soshi
10-30-2002, 11:10 PM
I'm not being defensive, I just said.. so what? ^^; I'm sorry if I came off as touchy, I wasn't trying to be. please do not curse at me and jump to conclusions...

I just really don't think it matters.

so you're bored.. so don't look at them. =P

videogirlc
10-31-2002, 02:28 AM
I say every year there will be the costume that will be done to death and not just final fantasy. (chiis for example) I don't see anything wrong with that (not that I don't get tired of seeing them) Kind of like when theres a new style of shirt or jacket or shoes that everyone must have. Everyone must have it and will buy it. There will always be a new anime or game cosplay that everyon will want to do and we just have to learn to deal with it.

Aoshi Shinomori
10-31-2002, 03:21 AM
hmm does Kingdom Hearts Tidus count? cuz so far ive only seen one.

Adella
10-31-2002, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by Dark Vision
so all final fantasy, chobits, and cowboy bebop cosplayers should all be banned and sent to a different convention?????

No there's enough of them to make their own convention ^-^

Cassandra
10-31-2002, 10:13 AM
They are definitely overdone. Though, I think I've seen more Lulu's than Tidus's (Hmm...Tidii?) But there's not much anyone can do to stop people from cosplaying the "in" thing.

Umi
10-31-2002, 11:45 AM
Well Squall is over cosplayed as well but I don't get tired of seeing those. ^__^

Rosiel
10-31-2002, 11:55 AM
> how can you hate ANYONE just because it's overdone?

People aren't saying they hate people who cosplay overdone costume, just that by repetition the costume loses its impact and goes from "Oh, wow, look it's Lulul!!!! It's Lulu!!!" to "Oh, well, yet another Lulu."

I don't even see FFVIII/X cosplayers anymore. They're like those banner ads on the top of webpages that my brain edits out. But if there is a character I've never seen before, or that I've never seen done well before, I will notice and get excited.

Which is why I am cutting back on Angel Sanctuary cosplay. I can just /hear/ people whine about "yet another person with three wings". X__X I think I single-handedly managed to make having three wings a hum-drum "I see it everyday" affair. ;___;

Rey-Rey
10-31-2002, 12:11 PM
I think Heidegger is cosplayed to death!! I can't stand it when I see too many cosplayers that put BEARDS on. >= (

Woof. >=D

Koumori
10-31-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Rosiel

Which is why I am cutting back on Angel Sanctuary cosplay. I can just /hear/ people whine about "yet another person with three wings". X__X I think I single-handedly managed to make having three wings a hum-drum "I see it everyday" affair. ;___;

Which is odd, because I just saw a post on the Anime Boston board asking for cosplayers from "less popular" series like Angel Sanctuary, Weiss Kreuz and Gravitation. I can only assume the poster doesn't get out very much.

Kellie
10-31-2002, 01:03 PM
Costumes may be over done, but personall (please note I did say personally! ^_^) it really doesn't bother me. Being new to the cosplay world, I love seeing costumes, even if I turn the corner and its the same character. Everyone has different ideas and are creative in different ways. So, if I were to dress as let's say Yuna or someone and see another person in the same costume, there will be differences between the costumes. Perhaps a personal touch in beading or hand painting something. But, being the friendly person I am, I would approach the person, compliment their costume (Because I guarantee it would be better than mine) and perhaps exchange ideas. I know a lot of cosplayers don't like "giving out" their information on how they did their costume, but to just exchange information on very small things. Like...how they died a sleeve compared to the way you did it. I dunno. ^^; I might not be making any sense.

Chosuke
10-31-2002, 01:05 PM
YAY!!! -huggles Aeris-

Aww! Rosiel,but your the best three winged cosplayer ive seen!! -huggles- I see alot of AS,but rarely is it ever as excellent as your group/friends you cosplay with.

<quote>Which is odd, because I just saw a post on the Anime Boston board asking for cosplayers from "less popular" series like Angel Sanctuary, Weiss Kreuz and Gravitation. I can only assume the poster doesn't get out very much.</quote>

Thats really odd o_O;.. I made my first Aya jacket like a year ago for AN 02..didn't get to go though.
And now I see Aya and Weiss everywhere!
<not bringing mine to AN now>
there is aready a Weiss coslay group in canada..x.x;
I think i'm the only canadian Crashers ran aya coslayer though.

Mei Lan Chang
10-31-2002, 03:18 PM
Over cosplayed? Pfft. No such thing! I don't think of cosplay as a pop culture fad that goes out of style with the waves of new anime, I think of it as constant fun and gratifaction to the characters we love (disclaimer: *cough* I do not, however, love Tidus).

I mean...I still see FF7 cosplayers all the time and how many years ago was that? Good cosplayer never goes out of style or is overdone!

heki-chan
11-01-2002, 04:14 PM
hmmm..first off....not to sound touchy..or...whtevr, but this is just my opinion^_^

i dunt think it matters whether a particular character is "overdone" or not.

(for example..) Just because I've cosplayed Yuna and a bajillion other people had/is/and will cosplay Yuna...does that make my costume or their costume any less great than it is? O_o;
I dunt think so. Numbers do not take away from how great the costume is!

Even if you personally get "tired" of seeing those characters running around at cons, keep in mind that *EACH AND EVERY ONE* of those costumes were lovingly created, ne?^_^

And they shouldnt be "waved-off" or shunned away just because the number of them are escalating.
I mean....hmm...what if a character /you/ cosplayed from suddenly becomes the next popular thing...would you start hating the fact that you cosplayed it?
Probably not, since lots of love/sweat/& tears went into it^_^ So its the same thing for all those characters mentioned in this thread. How do the people who have cosplayed as those aforementioned characters feel? Its kinda like their work is more or less...disregarded by the community...which isnt really respectful

Basically all im saying is...overdone or not, those costumes ALL belong to **someone** out there who slaved dearly over them. Give them the recognition for their work of art instead of shunning them just because of the high numbers^_^

~heki-chan

Shinobu
11-03-2002, 03:49 PM
A lot of people buy FF costumes off of ebay and wear them. 0_0 (not too lovingly created....just wearing it because almost everyone knows who she is....)

Shinobu
11-03-2002, 04:01 PM
BTW Heki-chan I looked at your site and I like your Yuna! WAI! *people glair at shinobu*
some yunas are nice but too many is too much.

tamahomegurl
11-03-2002, 04:25 PM
i think lots of people cosplay yuna because well, she's easy, cool, and her outfit is soooo super sugoi!! ^__^

it's not a bad thing that she's such a popular character to cosplay since each cosplayer does her outfit differently in the way they percieve it. so basically each yuna is different and unique!

and i think most people would rather cosplay something/someone who is more popular and well-known than someone who no one really knows about...^^;;

and yuna's not the only one that you'll see 10000 of them at a con: let's not forget the vashs, wolfwoods, ranma gang, fushigi yuugi gang, and kenshin gang! it just goes to prove how much people love these characters! ^__^ *winks*

heki-chan
11-03-2002, 11:15 PM
ooh yeah ebay! well...the seller makes the costume.....*some* with love^_^;
ah well^_^ u guys get my point anyway!^_^ lol

shinobu- *hugs* thankies ur so nice :)

i luvs yuna ^0^ my dad said i looked like her and my sister looked like Lulu soooo we decided to make them^_^ SO MUCH FUN!^_^ handpainting is timeconsuming but hella fun!^_^

yupyup...as long as you hav fun making/wearing a costume..thats all that matters....forget the numbers and just hav fun! ^0^

~heki

dizzylizzy
11-04-2002, 01:17 AM
being someone who's cosplays as yuna, i feel like i should put in my 2 cents. : )~ yuna was the first thing i had ever cosplayed and made. i had no clue she was going to be so popular until i went to otakon 2002. besides, i didn't care how many people did cosplay as yuna. i didn't pick it because ffx was recently released. i chose it because i loved the costume. i chose it because i identified with the character (i'm just as shy, polite, and whatnot). i chose it because i love final fantasy in general. i chose her because she spun that staff like a colorguard chick!!! (colorguard rulz! lol)

yeah, a lot of people are cosplaying as yuna. but from what i've seen and heard, it happens every time a new ff or anime comes out... people cosplay as the characters. next year there will be another cosplay that will fill the cons... this year ffx, next year chobits perhaps. :::thinks... boy and i was gonna do chii too...hmmm:::

i say, do whatever cosplay you feel like doing. it's all about fun. if ya like a costumes, do it.... if ya don't... don't do it. just don't write off a cosplayer's efforts just because it's "over-done". ya know what i mean, jelly beans?

as for buying off ebay..... i bought a nuriko cosplay because i thought that it was beautiful. plus, i don't have a lot of free time sometimes to go out, buy material, research, and create. i've added a bunch of things to it though. sometimes a girl needs a lil help. : )

oh.. and one more thing. i want you guys to know that i don't mind if your opinions are opposite mine. it helps to make discussions. no one is wrong and no one is right. :)

Celine
11-04-2002, 01:32 AM
>but from what i've seen and heard, it happens every time a new ff or anime comes out

This is very true! Several years ago, there were tons of FF7. Actually, there are still a ton today. FF8 used to be everywhere, too. Now, there aren't nearly as many Vincents, Edeas, Zells... We used to see a lot more of those, but I guess most people who really liked them have already cosplayed them. Three (?) years ago, everyone did Zidane. This year was Yuna and Lulu, but the numbers of those will definitely decrease as some newer FF game comes out.

Chobits is kind of like CCSakura from what I've seen- a main cute character with a million cute outfits. Just like Sakura, it'll eventually lose popularity as something else new and cute steps up. Yay for cosplay evolution.

Yuna
11-04-2002, 09:21 PM
Again, I don't see why people would care if a character was cosplayed "to death". I mean, if you think something is over cosplayed, no one is forcing you to cosplay them, so it shouldn't matter to you that other people like to cosplay them...

Adella
11-05-2002, 08:49 AM
hm.. I hope in a few years there will only be like 3 yunas.. it'll seem cooler...

Nietsche
11-05-2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by tamahomegurl
and yuna's not the only one that you'll see 10000 of them at a con: let's not forget the vashs, wolfwoods, ranma gang, fushigi yuugi gang, and kenshin gang! it just goes to prove how much people love these characters! ^__^ *winks*

Fushigi Yuugi..Byakko seishi are rarely if NOT cosplayed...does it mean that they are not loved? Wahhh...the greatest romantic moment in FY IMO not cosplayed....

Yuna
11-05-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Shinobu
A lot of people buy FF costumes off of ebay and wear them. 0_0 (not too lovingly created....just wearing it because almost everyone knows who she is....)

This one kinda pisses me off. When you see someone cosplaying a Final Fantasy character, do you assume simple by the character that they bought their costume off E-Bay?

I spent over 150 hours on my regular Yuna costume and I spent over $300 on my Wedding Yuna. I resent that when people like you see my costumes and automatically assume that I bought them off E-Bay. That's ridiculous! Aeris also put incredible amounts of time and money into her Aeris costumes and doubt she would like that when people look at her Aeris they assume it was bought on E-Bay.

tamahomegurl
11-05-2002, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Nietsche
Fushigi Yuugi..Byakko seishi are rarely if NOT cosplayed...does it mean that they are not loved? Wahhh...the greatest romantic moment in FY IMO not cosplayed....

gomen nietsche!!! i didn't meant to step on anyone's shoes!!! ^^;; no no no....*shakes head violently* ....i've seen wonderful Byakko cosplayers! I love Tama's master and his beautiful wife Subaru too...not to mention the hot tatara...^__^

but they are still part of fy so i just grouped them all together because of laziness...XD and the "fy group" category includes everyone - even nakago...! ^__-

tamahomegurl
11-05-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Yuna
This one kinda pisses me off. When you see someone cosplaying a Final Fantasy character, do you assume simple by the character that they bought their costume off E-Bay? I resent that when people like you see my costumes and automatically assume that I bought them off E-Bay. That's ridiculous!

I agree with Yuna Nessa! *nods head in total agreement* i have to say MOST cosplayers make their own costumes because they have the skill and resources. And you can tell how much love, sweat, and tears were put into each outfit. I've seen many yuna cosplayers and their outfits and they are all gorgeous in their own unique ways!

And who really cares where people got their outfit from??? (unless of course in a masquerade or competition..) And...we all have to remember that not all cosplayers are able to make costumes let alone work a sewing machine! ^^;;

the bottom line is that we should never "diss" any cosplayer or even contemplate whether their outfits were bought from somewhere else or not. DOES IT REALLY MATTER? We're all cosplaying at a con just for the love of anime, video games, and cosplaying in general.

My mom makes all my costumes; not me...See if that will stop me from having fun at a con!!! ^__^

Rey-Rey
11-05-2002, 11:31 PM
I still think Heidegger has been cosplayed to death. >=D

Woof. >=D

Adella
11-06-2002, 12:32 AM
You should be Heidegger Rey Rey.

Mink
11-06-2002, 03:46 AM
Um heres my annoying two cents:

I do see alot of Yunas and other FF characters. What happens to me is what was mentioned before:I just glaze on over them. So more power to you if you want to make one, it just means that you will have to work that much harder to seperate yourself from the rest. And if you can do that, then you really are an expert cosplayer. I, however, am not, and thus I stick to wierd and never done costumes (Like Ryoko from Tenchi GXP, and no its not the Ryoko from the Tenchi series) Thats just what floats my boat. No need to stress about it.

Nine
11-06-2002, 04:19 AM
I don't care that Yuna is over cosplayed, but I would care if the costume looks good or not. Same with the other FFX characters, Lulu too.. Because Lulu has a very difficult design, and there are so many different ways you can make it to make it look good, you see many different variations of it. Some with lace, some with hand painted trim, some with actual bustier's, some with fake bustier's... Some with grey fur, some with brown fur, some with white fur (like mine lol) The best Lulu costume I've seen isn't too accurate. The fur is white and the lace trim isn't like the origonal... but it's so well done, and the creater added her own personal details into it, and took the time and care into actually making it... That's what makes it look good.

If you just have someone who throws a strip a white fabric around their neck, wearing a black tank top with pure white sleeves, a quickly painted obi with a blue skirt with quickly painted flower designs on it... then I don't appreciate it as much as the person who obviously pour their sweat and blood into it. (figure of speach lol..)

That's my little rant.. i hope it makes sence and all that stuff.. lol im so sleepy

heki-chan
11-06-2002, 03:48 PM
[possible rant caution lol!]

*nods* i spent tons of $$$ and time on my Yuna costume, and I know what you guys mean by when people assume you bought it offa ebay or wherever etc etc.....
*grumbles* a few people kept saying that my sister and i got our Yuna n Lulu from Japan or something, and it made me SOOO MAD PISSD ;_; *sigh*
they (including the judges of the masquerade...*grumble*) are skeptical of us ONLY BECAUSE i am young and i look young...

they figure...."young people cant do this! AH HAH!!! so it must be BOUGHT!! ooo imported from Japan etc"

*ROAR* i hate skeptical looks....i got so much crap from certain people about our moogle mascot..my hands were all burnt and swollen n red from making him!!!!!...and it makes me mad when certain people assume i bought it/custom ordered it elsewhere....just bcuz they dont believe in youth and our abilities.... ;_;

but aside from that errm small rant.....i dunt think that was what Shinobu was getting at^_^
i think she meant that perhaps not /all/ costumes are lovingly made, but -not- that everyone assumes all Yunas/FFs are bought from eBay. ^_^

(umm...did my post make any sense? ^_^;;; )

~heki

Celine
11-06-2002, 04:01 PM
Err... I don't think most people assume that costumes are bought. Regular convention attendees are aware of the cosplay community and know that we all spend ridiculous amounts of time constructing these things. Sure, new people might come up to you at a con and ask if you made it yourself, but I seriously doubt that they usually jump to the conclusion that you bought it. ^_^;;

That being said, there's nothing wrong with buying a costume.

heki-chan
11-06-2002, 05:07 PM
nope^_^ most people dont^_^ (hence the "certain people" i used^_^...just some personal situations from a past con ~_~; )

and definitely nothing wrong with buying costumes!and its fine if people ask if we made it or bought it, we can take it as a compliment^_^
what bugs me is when we answer them and they dunt believe us and get all weird on us O_o; and go "uhh... /reeeeally/....hmmm..." ~_~; (=P)X

but agian^_^ that was /my own/ personal situation that i mentioned above hehe

~heki

tamahomegurl
11-06-2002, 07:11 PM
*bows down to celine and heki-chan*

you guys are 110% correct!! ^__^ i couldn't have said it any better!! ^____-

it's fun to spend lots of time and energy on a costume coming out with an amazing result! and i'm glad i'm fortunate to have a mom with cool sewing skills!! *i'd be so lost without her*

and you guys are right - i guess people are just curious whether or not you made the costume. i think they just want to give you mad props if you did do it yourself!! ^__^V

tamahomegurl
11-06-2002, 07:15 PM
by the way, heki-chan....are you by any chance selling cosplay outfits/accessories on ebay?

i know someone who does amazing rinoa costumes and from canada too....

just wondering if that was you?...^___^ and....YOUR YUNA COSTUME ROCKS!!! ^___^ *wishes to have heki-chan's ability to make such cool looking accessories* i have improved my yuna outfits a little bit but it still doesn't reach the level of yours!! ^__-

i give you mad props for the yuna and the lulu outfit!!!

Yuna
11-06-2002, 08:13 PM
Mwahahaha... o.O

that's not fish.. no, that's a goldfish cracker!

::rolls off::

heki-chan
11-06-2002, 08:26 PM
^_^ aww thanx ur so sweet :)

Yup in the summer my sister and i did a little bit of eBay selling...dood! we need monies for the Otakon 2003 Roadtrip LOL!^_^V But havent had the time lately to set up auctions or anything...damn schoolwork...^_^

oops..sorries! im getting off topic...ill PM you^_^;

~heki-chan

Yuna
11-06-2002, 08:53 PM
Do you make costumes specifically to auction?

heki-chan
11-06-2002, 09:06 PM
dunno if ur talking to me or tamahomegurl^_^
but yup, we always make costumes just to sell, cuz we'd never part with our originals^_^ too many good memories^_^
Its either that or we get commissioned for a custom order or something^_^

~heki

tamahomegurl
11-06-2002, 11:41 PM
no wonder!! *huggles heki-chan*

i know i've seen your rinoa version cosplay somewhere!! very well-made might i add!!! *winks*

Yuna
11-07-2002, 01:03 AM
Oh, ok, I get it.

I'd never have the patience to make a costume twice... x_x

tamahomegurl
11-07-2002, 01:23 AM
*pats yuna nessa on the back* it's okay...i understand your pain....^^;;

but i guess sometimes doing it another time will give you another chance to do it better...and to make ultra cooler improvements (i.e. your NEW YUNA X-2 VERSION...!! ) *winks*

i know your new one will kick much ass - you don't deserve anything less!! ^___- V

Yuna
11-07-2002, 02:23 AM
OHHH! I hope it turns out ok! >_< I've never worked with nude nylon before, only black nylon that had a cotton twee in it for Rachette's undershit x_x I HOPE HOPE it comes out ok and doesn't run x_x;;;

tamahomegurl
11-07-2002, 02:29 AM
*thinks of nylon and shudders* it's such a hard material to work with.... x___x;;

i know your outfit will turn out most excellent like your other outfits *looks at yuna nessa with admiration* so you don't have to worry on that part.

however...nylon is evil....especially when you're ultra genki....XP

yuffieleonheart
11-20-2002, 12:52 PM
i've cosplayed as yunie 3 times my first was at otakon 2001 there were only 3 of us. yeah i know there are a lot of us but it's still fun

tamahomegurl
11-29-2002, 04:15 PM
yeah..it doesn't really matter how many yunas you see...it's all about the love for her!!!! ^____- like they say, the more, the merrier!!

Michi
11-30-2002, 02:36 AM
I came in a bit late but -- of COURSE it's cosplayed to death. It's the new thing. Like when FF8 was new, Rinoa took over AX2K. FF9 didn't get quite as big, but it was still a lot bigger than it is now. They're popular things, and lots of people like them, so you get a lot of it. *shrug* And I hate it when people say someone shouldn't cosplay something just because it's overdone-- So what? They haven't had their chance yet! Let them do it! These aren't YOUR cons, YOU did NOT invent cosplay and give it rules. -_- Heck, Otakon 2K1 had a scary amount of yellow dress Asukas... and I remember that year being big on Trigun for some reason too. I try my best to avoid doing a costume when the series is big.. I didn't do FF8 til the end of the year 2K, didn't wear it to a con til the next year.. my FF9 costume was worn at small cons/events at the very end of 2K1, and was worn the most at AX /this/ year when everyone else was something from FFX. :P It's just... bound to happen. There's a lot more of us then there used to be.. Utena was a lot bigger two years back too.. It's just phases, like fashion.. and sometimes people will still bring it back, like the FF7 cosplayers we see today.
Whee that was really disorganized. I'm sick, my apologizes for my brain.

Anyway.

It's like saying "OH my god, ghosts and witches are SO overdone to DEATH at Halloween! Kids should stop that!!"

.... yeah.

tamahomegurl
11-30-2002, 02:42 AM
yes...i agree with michi....cosplaying is just like fashion trends::

they're everchanging and what is "in" today may not be "in" tomorrow...

yuffieleonheart
12-01-2002, 11:48 AM
now i must work on ffx-2 yuna costume

Yuna
12-02-2002, 01:04 PM
*shivers*

I am really thinking of making a Garnet costume.... but yeah... thikning O_O; If I did you would have to be my Zidane Michi XD

Akimi
12-02-2002, 05:30 PM
OMG! Michi makes an excellent Kuja...

and being on topic, I still think that Rinoa+Squall cosplays are much more overdone than Yuna+Tidus. Somehow cosplaying is like a fashion trend but not really. As long as the character you cosplay fits you (or you could really play the character) and is well known, then it's good. I remember seeing one Shredder (teenage mutant ninja turtles) cosplayer here. She even one 3rd place and to think that ninja turtles is a pretty old cartoon.

RoMayDrako
12-03-2002, 06:35 AM
In the rule around here. IT"S NOT OVER COSPLAYED TILL YOU SEE A MALE CROSS DRESSING. Personally I havn't seen any male Yuna's yet so not over cosplayed

yuffieleonheart
12-03-2002, 04:20 PM
i saw a male lulu it was and exellent costume

Akimi
12-03-2002, 05:46 PM
RoMayDrako:
I think Nessa/yuna saw male yuna cosplayers. She was at this con and I remember her saying that she was only the female Yuna ^_^;;

Oy, I havent seen that male Lulu cosplayer yet...or maybe I just didnt notice.

Yuna
12-03-2002, 05:59 PM
AX and Ani-Magic. Yuna crossplayer who looks like Carrot Top

Something Lulu
12-03-2002, 09:54 PM
Yes, I saw him at AX..... >_<

TyJILDown
12-03-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by yuffieleonheart
i saw a male lulu it was and exellent costume

You're probably talking about Nine from these boards. He made an excellent Lulu and actually plans on redoing the costume in the future. I can't wait to see his newer version of the costume as he made a convincing Lulu ^^

yuffieleonheart
12-04-2002, 02:55 PM
ooh! really? that's cool! i want to see his new costume as well!

SuthrnBelleChan
12-12-2002, 07:16 AM
This thread is odd, i mean... everybody's arguing over something that they personally can never stop, and being overplayed is a matter of opinion. If you think they're over played and you sick of seeing them, then don't go to cons. Because there will always be some "overplayed" costume there. And everybody has different versions of one costume. That's what makes cosplaying great. If everyone who did Yuna all looked EXACTLY the same, then it would be horrible. But they're all different. There will always be over played costumes, no matter what. I will never cosplay the Yuna regular outfit because I think I have seen some great cosplayers do it, and I'm not gonna compete with that. The only reason Im cosplaying Yuna wedding style if for a special first-time duet(You will see what I mean when I post it) But as for this thread, some people just chill and realize "over played" costumes are not gonna go away. No matter what you say.

I hope no one flames me for this, it's just my opinion, just like everyone has an opinion on this