PDA

View Full Version : Victorian on a thrifstore budget

kikamontanez
11-15-2011, 09:01 AM
I'm going to a Victorian Festival in December and would really like to dress up, but since it's kind of short notice and I only have a few weeks, anybody know how I could throw together a Victorian outfit? Or a place to buy one online maybe? Thank you!

Mangochutney
11-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Pretty easy, if you have the time to go to the thrift store more than once--they rotate their stock quickly and if they don't have what you need the first time, keep looking.

Useful things: one long skirt and a tablecloth or curtain in a color/fabric/print you like. Wear the skirt underneath and use knots, safety pins, or quick stitches to gather the overskirt (tablecloth) into a poofy bustle. Freestyle; there's no wrong way to do it. This is also an incredibly easy bustle skirt from scratch (http://blog.fabric.com/2010/10/the_costume_trunk_the_incredib.html).

For the top: I get a lot of mileage out of a black velvet jacket of the sort that always seems to come out in stores around this time of year (not exactly upscale, either, mine's from Old Navy) and a regular white dress shirt, both with the collars turned up. Use a narrow scarf as a cravat and pin it at the throat with a brooch. Tuck the scarf's loose ends into the front of the jacket. It's a nice antique look. A vest under the jacket is also great, especially if the jacket doesn't button very high.

Shoes: sometimes you get lucky and there's a pair of granny boots. If not, any simple flats are fine.

I love me some thrift-Vic. :D Good luck at the shops.