PDA

View Full Version : Hat help!

Soviet Syndrome
11-18-2011, 02:37 PM
So, I'm in the process of making armour for Ma Dai (http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-16/art/dw7-ma-dai.jpg)'s costume from Dynasty Warriors 7, but I have no idea how to go about making his hat. I don't even know where to start. Would anyone be able to give me some suggestions or a few pointers?

Irarenovo
11-23-2011, 03:56 PM
I would start with.. a hat :P

any kind of stiff hat that fits on you.. make the 'armor' rim out of craft foam and make pony tail out of hair extensions?

if that doesnt help, maybe a description of what materials you are using for the rest of the costume, or a budget figure, then we can make more specific suggestions

Soviet Syndrome
11-23-2011, 11:36 PM
I'm using craft foam for the rest of the armour, so I do want to stay with using craft foam. :3
My only concern, however, is how would I be able to apply the foam to the the hat to make it look... Er, natural, so to say? Also how to hide the physical hat, if you know what I mean.

As long as the craft foam is used to keep it uniform with the rest of the cosplay, then I've got no complaints, lol!~

Melanie
11-24-2011, 03:16 AM
You're making it more complicated than it is!

Make a base, green skullcap, and add a wide silver brim to it (with some hardcore buckram inside to make it stiff) - it's basically a two-tone pirate hat. Depending on your preference for the designs on the brim, you could add them with either craft foam glued on, or embroidery onto the silver fabric.

For mounting the plume, attach it to a headband underneath the hat for stability.