PDA

View Full Version : Fake moustache and beard

Masako
12-09-2003, 07:38 PM
I'm going to crossplay as Captain Jack Sparrow real soon and I need some tips on where to buy (online or offline stores too) fake moustaches and beards. And how to attach them, this is my first time cross-playing let alone wearing a moustache. :/ I'm kinda scared about it....

Any help is appreciated, thanks again!

Kisa
12-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Pre-made mustaches/beards can be bought and just spirit gummed on...
If you want something custom, colour the area with an eyeliner pencil, then spirit gum the area and dust on lose hair. You can usually buy it at theatrical-supply stores. Then you just add longer hair where you need it, carefully with good ol' spirit gum.

Masako
12-12-2003, 01:06 AM
I've never used Spirit Gum before any tips?

JoeBoeing
12-12-2003, 01:50 AM
Joe's tips on spiritgum:

1. buy bottle of spirit gum
2. wash and dry area to be applied
3. Spead a nice amount (don't gob it in) in desired place
4. take finger and lightly and quickyly tap spirit gum til tacky
5. Put on fake mustache/beard
6. blend in area around with make up for color definition

Some people put spirit gun on the fake beard and mustaches as well but I personally never did. It doesn't stick as well in future uses.

EDIT: Some people are allergic to spirit gum and will get a rash that can last a couple days to a couple weeks... so test it on your body 1st.

From,
Joe

Karisu-sama
12-12-2003, 02:03 AM
Don't forget to get SPIRIT GUM REMOVER!!

(In a pinch, nail polish remover also helps.)

JoeBoeing
12-12-2003, 04:21 AM
Ponds cold cream is what I use to remove spirit gum... works really well. Also good for the skin.

From,
Joe

Koumori
12-12-2003, 08:52 AM
I'm working on learning to lay a realistic beard and moustache myself (for the same reason). This process is more involved and difficult than putting on a pre-made fake beard, but it's worth it. Theatrical supply companies sell something called crepe hair for laying beards with. You tear off (not cut, as that won't look natural enough) a little hunk of it, apply spirit gum to your face, and slowly apply the facial hair in thin layers from the underlayer upward, following the pattern that real hair growth would take, then trim to your specs.

JoeBoeing
12-12-2003, 03:27 PM
crepe hair was hard to learn to make convincing... the make up girl in my old HS drama club did all that and for my application it took about 30 - 50 min to do because I was going full beard and mustache... I'll try to get a hold of her if she lives at her old house if you want because she had written out a good tutorial on applying crepe hair.

Her dad is military last I heard and this was back in 1992... I'll dig for some old papers with my old fellow drama club buddies's phone numbers.

From,
Joe

Koumori
12-12-2003, 03:30 PM
I'll try to get a hold of her if she lives at her old house if you want because she had written out a good tutorial on applying crepe hair.

Not necessary on my account, thanks - I just need to keep practicing. :)

Masako
12-13-2003, 01:11 AM
Thanks a bunch!

Would the crepe hair be long enough to braid because JS's beard is braided. :/

Koumori
12-13-2003, 07:57 AM
Thanks a bunch!

Would the crepe hair be long enough to braid because JS's beard is braided. :/

It comes in hanks about a yard long, so you can pull off as much or as little as you need.

Susumari
12-13-2003, 10:57 PM
for the mustache...you can use maschara...it's good.

(sorry if someone already posted this product)

Masako
12-17-2003, 04:37 AM
for the mustache...you can use maschara...it's good.

(sorry if someone already posted this product)

Mascara to color the hair or to actually use mascara to draw in a moustache?

Karisu-sama
12-17-2003, 05:21 AM
This is very interesting. I'd love to know the techniques just in case I may need to use it on someone, although adding a fake beard / mustache to my own face is a line I personally do not cross. (Fur, I might consider.)

Tiirz
12-17-2003, 05:38 AM
My guy knows how to lay a beard and mustache. I'll ask him later today if he has any pointers.

monstermaker
07-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Looks like some of you would like to know how we did it on Pirates.

How to Apply a False Moustache and Beard Securely

For folks with sensitive skin:
Prepare the area by patting or spraying barrier spray on the skin. We use something called Derma-Shield (which foams up like shaving creme)

Paint a layer of Spirit Gum or Matte Adhesive on to the skin and use your finger to "tack" the glue by tapping it until it starts to stick. Let it dry completely.

Paint another layer of Spirit Gum on the skin and repeat the "tacking process, then press the hairpiece firmly onto the skin, positioning it carefully, then "tacking it" by sticking and removing it up to three times. This imbeds the adhesive into the lace while simultaneously making the glue tacky. Then press the piece onto the skin on last time. This will provide all-day adhesion.

Press the edges down with a rolled stocking cap . This will make the edge of the hair lace disappear. Don't use tissue or power puffs as they may leave unwanted fibers on the laceline.

The hot and humid climate in the Bahamas on DEADMAN'S CHEST and AT WORLD'S END really put our make-up materials and techniques to the test.

Everyone's hairpieces for the most part, held up all day in the extreme humidity, sun, sweat, sunscreen, and ocean air of the Bahamas and Caribbean.
Occasionally, we'd lose one when a stunt guy would go overboard and "into the drink", but not that often.

For removal from the skin, we used 99% Alcohol to free up the pieces. (The pieces were later cleaned in 99% Alcohol and then restyled for the next day of filming.)

We then used a combination of products to clean and moisturize the actors' skin after removal. The first and basic main-stay were Babywipes with Isopropyl Myristate. That would remove any residual spirit gum and make-up.

A hot towel would bring the actor's face back-to-life, then we'd apply any number of oil-free moisturizers to keep the skin from drying out from the day's abuse.

Then we, along with the actor's, would hit the local taverns and apply a moderate amount of alcohol to our innards. Everyone was happy !!!

I hope this information helps.

Brian Penikas
Make-up Artist
Pirates of the Caribbean (Parts 2 & 3)

dkc
10-11-2008, 02:53 AM
any suggestions to create the look of a 2 day beard?