PDA

View Full Version : Functionality or Accuracy?

DeadLegato
12-12-2003, 08:22 PM
I'm trying to make the coat shown in the attached pictures (from the Animatrix) and I'm wondering... should I make the coat capable of closing, or not? I'm sorry I don't have a full length shot of the coat from the front, I don't think there IS one. But as you can see the coat is open across her chest, and just from the way it hangs it looks to me like the coat wouldn't be capable of fully closing.

So, for the sake of making it look exactly like hers, should I make the coat always open in the front, or for the sake of functionality should I make it a full coat that I would be able to close if I wanted to?

Eleryth
12-12-2003, 09:30 PM
Either way is really up to you. It reminds me a lot of the coat Sanada Yukimura wears in Samurai Deeper Kyo. He never closes it, and my friend that made it made it so it didn't close. I don't think they do, but I honestly have no real idea. I assume it is some traditional style of wear, but I have no idea what it is called or if it is completely functional.

If you make it functional, I think you will have to make it fairly big, and I don't think it would look right then. Besides, if it was functional, would you wear it again? Or only as this character? And if this chara never closes it, what does it matter, then, right? ;)

It's really nice looking; that outfit will be great when it's done! Good luck.

Pic of Sanada (had to steal the link from quizilla, as it was the only place I knew had a photo full length) http://quizilla.com/cgi-bin/result/list/list.pl

Daala
12-15-2003, 08:40 AM
It's not so much a coat as it is a vest. Really it's up to you, however I wouldn't close it. Please post some photos when your done with that armor, I aways found that outfit to be kick ass ^_^

Krishna
12-19-2003, 05:43 AM
I would go for Accuracy, but that's just me... It doesn't always turn out well though.. like sometime the costume can turn out to be a pain to wear... ^^;;;

cutekawaii
12-20-2003, 03:30 PM
Well you can always add claps on the inside so it would look accurate from the front but be able to close.

~Nikki

Keute
12-20-2003, 04:59 PM
Accuracy, yup ;) accuracy

Photog
12-20-2003, 07:48 PM
I vote for accuracy. :D

taochi
12-21-2003, 07:32 AM
Form follows Function. I think you can you achieve both with out having to sacifice anything, play around with the design and find what works best with you. Fine tuning the design using muslin mock-ups is a great idea and so is finding larger pictures to work with.

teehee

Panda_Brat
12-22-2003, 03:14 PM
Acurasy (spelt wrong.... soooo sleepy....) all the way! If I had to make a costume that would be next to imposible to walk in I would stand in one spot and hire people to buy me anime goods!

DeadLegato
12-30-2003, 10:17 PM
Sorry for posting on old post, I've been away and unable to reply.

I have the animatrix DVD, so anytime I need a reference, I put it in my computer. So I do have bigger pictures to work off of, but they're not good for posting on the internet.

I'm buying plastic sheeting and hopefully, small aligator clips. I intend to make little fabric sleeves and insert plastic into them, so the armor will hold its shape and not flop around like if it were only made of fabric, and yet won't get folds it in it from sitting like if i used cardboard. If you look at a zoom shot, the armor is held together by little triangular pieces, which I'm hoping to make out of red-painted alligator clips.

If it works, or doesn't work, I'll post pictures. Because if it works, that's great, and if it doesn't, that's good for other people trying the same thing to know.

The wig I have for it is white with fiberoptics in it... so I made a place in the coat's collar to hide the battery pack. I thought having hair that lights up was Matrix-y, although other people might disagree.