PDA

View Full Version : Who's planning to cosplay to the ROTK shows?

Quantum9
12-13-2003, 12:36 AM
If you're like me, you have tickets to the first showing of LOTR tuesday night at midnight. If you're not like me, then why are you still on your butt! Buy the tickets for what will certainly be the greatest movie ever NOW!
:thumbsup:

Anyway, I might break out my Faramir costume for the show. Anyone else planning on cosplaying?

Claireon
12-13-2003, 02:05 AM
I was... I got some fabric for the bodice of a random hobbit girl costume... But I dunno if I really have the time to work on it all... Plus I think I've already been sold out of the big theaters for Tuesday midnight... Sigh.

Ashe
12-13-2003, 02:15 AM
Definitly. But I saw the movie last week and realized that I made my dress in the wrong colors - now I can't decide if I want to remake it or not, lol.

Eleryth
12-13-2003, 02:30 AM
Definitly. But I saw the movie last week and realized that I made my dress in the wrong colors - now I can't decide if I want to remake it or not, lol.

And it looks gorgeous anyway! Not to worry, I don't think that many people will really care - you will be far to stunning for them to say anything! A friend of mine made Eowyns funeral gown, I think - the green one? Apparently the front is completely wrong, as they released no pictures of it without her hands in the way, so she was all worried about that (there were pics on the DVD of it). It's alright! Your dress looks awesome. I say leave it.

I heard that it's really a dark blue; many people thought it was black and red. So, what is it really?

Quantum9
12-13-2003, 03:02 AM
I agree, who gives a poo if the dress isn't right. You and Jin are both beautful, and look exactly like Arwen and Eowyn...i hope i'm not out of line in saying this, but I think I'm in love. :love: Now if you guys can sing like Arwen and Eowyn...well...um...*_*;;;

anyway, i wish my hair was longer to pull of a decent Faramir, but it will do...i've got my gray tunic, brown pants, black boots, and my broadsword *which i will keep outside the theatre, natch ^_~*

kelldar
12-13-2003, 09:24 AM
I'm going to be in New Orleans that night, but we got tickets for a theater down there so I'm still going to a midnight show with my friends :D One of my friends is wearing my Arwen chase dress, and I'm still making my 'fake'/original/book style (chose one) Arwen wedding dress... I've been beading it, finished the sleeves last night, still working on the outer silver cloak though. I've got pics of my base dress and my tiara in my in progress gallery.

Tora
12-13-2003, 11:17 AM
Yah!!! My gang and I have midnight tickets, and just like last year, we'll be going in costume ^_^ (Last year we were the only group there in costume, but it was FUN!)
I'll most likely wear the same 'random elf' costume I wore last year. Just a few more days, I can't wait!

Lottie
12-13-2003, 01:05 PM
I am going to the 2:45 showing on Wednesday!!! Not dressing up for it though it would be fun to. I cannot wait for ROTK to come out!

Ashe
12-13-2003, 09:21 PM
And it looks gorgeous anyway!
I heard that it's really a dark blue; many people thought it was black and red. So, what is it really?

Thank you! ^_^ On screen in actually ends up looking blue and orange, but I guess no one will know until AFTER we get out of the movie, right? Thats what we get for trying to make things before we've seen them

Kell- I can't wait to see your wedding dress! I was kinda of disappointed they didn't draw on the illustrations more for the ardrobe, but...

I hope everyone posts their line pics!!

Quantum9
12-14-2003, 03:23 AM
I would, but i dont have a cam ^^; Besides, i'm still considering whether or not ill cosplay though...

:untrust: The ellfffff did not ressspooond to ussss with a quote, she didn't.....

*Smacks Gollum* Quiet! I'm sure Ashley has a reason! Ehe...Sorry Ashley ^_^ Gollum can be a little << off....sometimes.

Ashe
12-14-2003, 11:49 AM
The ellfffff did not ressspooond to ussss with a quote, she didn't.....

The elves were far too kind to Gollum...

If you think you can do Faramir - I think you should definitly cosplay. He has one of the most beautiful scenes in the whole movie, in my humble opinion. ^_^

Sana-chan
12-14-2003, 03:01 PM
..........................ack error loggingin

Freya
12-14-2003, 03:06 PM
My excuse for any inaccuracies on the costume is I'm "Book version melded with film"

I'm going as Frodo Baggins XD

Flippy
12-14-2003, 03:17 PM
can not wait!

Hanyaan
12-14-2003, 10:41 PM
I'm doing a Shieldmaiden Eowyn, even though I can't go to the midnight showing. (My first date with my boyfriend was Two Towers in costume, so we're doing costumes again despite the lack of midnight tickets.) Granted it isn't as good a costume as some of my anime ones, it's still unfinished, my mom won't let me get a wig and I'm using flannel instead of brocade, but the dress is so simple and recognizable that I don't feel THAT awful.

BTW, I can't find a decent pic of Eowyn's shoes. Would I be better off wearing black boots with practically no heel or black dance/jazz shoes? (The only even remotely fantasy-ish shoes I own are black.)

Ashe
12-14-2003, 10:55 PM
BTW, I can't find a decent pic of Eowyn's shoes. Would I be better off wearing black boots with practically no heel or black dance/jazz shoes? (The only even remotely fantasy-ish shoes I own are black.)

Whatever is warmer and more comfortable, because no one is going to see your feet under that skirt anyway. ^_^

Claireon
12-15-2003, 11:27 PM
Just found a great corset top at Filene's Basement... It completes my closet-foraged hobbit outfit! I feel wrong wearing a "costume" that I didn't make myself... I'd wanted to try and make a bodice n' shirt n' skirt myself... and still may... but at least I have SOMEthing to wear now. Yay! :D

Hanyaan
12-15-2003, 11:34 PM
Hey, don't feel bad, because there is nothing to compare to the ghetto crappiness that is my Shieldmaiden Eowyn. I'm doing it with bits of flannel, bits of ribbon, some yarn, and a brown shirt that I bought from Nordstrom. W00t yeah, it suxors! (But that's part of the fun.)

Natsume
12-16-2003, 12:59 AM
My elf costume's nearly finished... Well it IS finished except i have to put it on and style my wig once it's on my head...
But anyhow... Midnight showing with a group of friends. Wheee!

Garuda_Aiacos
12-16-2003, 03:58 PM
I wore my Rose Dress for the Gala Premiere on Mon and was 1 out of the 3 audience who were in costumes. :lost: The Talents there costumes suck tho' as they were generic and rented from local costume shops.

Today for the Line Party and ROTK Sneak Preview, I should be a half-asleep Ringwraith.

Tomorrow I'll don my Arwen Mourning Gown (in black unfortunately) for my group costume parade cum rotk screening.

On screen in actually ends up looking blue and orange, but I guess no one will know until AFTER we get out of the movie, right? Thats what we get for trying to make things before we've seen them

For the Blood Red Dress? Hmm, thot it was known that the color was Midnight Blue for quite some time and I was the one who dropped the final bombshell about it being midnight blue and don't have cap sleeves when I post the picture of the dress from a Japanese Magazine at LOTR_Costume ML last month.

T4uRu$k4tt
12-16-2003, 10:32 PM
oooh, i'm jealous of you all~ no one would go w/ me in costume!! :p

(...of course, this has less to do with my friends and cosplay and more to do with the fact that most people i know have work or exams the next day ::sigh:: just have to hold out a little longer then!)

~katt

Hanyaan
12-17-2003, 10:44 AM
Hey, don't feel bad. My mom, who promised to help me with the sleeves, can't help me in time. That means I'm just wearing my LOTR t-shirt. XD I think I might still make a DECENT "Shieldmaiden Eowyn" later though.

Eleryth
12-17-2003, 08:21 PM
For the Blood Red Dress? Hmm, thot it was known that the color was Midnight Blue for quite some time and I was the one who dropped the final bombshell about it being midnight blue and don't have cap sleeves when I post the picture of the dress from a Japanese Magazine at LOTR_Costume ML last month.

That's the same ML I visit, but I thought they knew it was blue a long time ago - even before the Two Towers came out. That's when I was looking for everything I could find about it, to make one (inspired by, its nowhere near exact). It still looks black to me in most photos. I was disappointed when it didn't appear in the Two Towers. Ah well.

And blue and orange? Hm. I like those colors...but.... eh. Reminds me of old Edmonton Oilers hockey jerseys. :)

Either way. As long as you are happy with what you have, then no worries!

Ashe
12-18-2003, 01:32 AM
Yep, they've known it was blue for some while, even though it doesn't really look that way in any of the pictures they released. But the general talk in the LOTR costuming community has been that the sleeves are "blood red" or "rose red," and quite honestly they look rather orange in the film.

But! I wore it anyway, and to hell with the colors. ^-^

KaiShekChan
12-18-2003, 01:44 AM
I wore my Rose Dress for the Gala Premiere on Mon and was 1 out of the 3 audience who were in costumes. :lost: The Talents there costumes suck tho' as they were generic and rented from local costume shops.

Today for the Line Party and ROTK Sneak Preview, I should be a half-asleep Ringwraith.

Tomorrow I'll don my Arwen Mourning Gown (in black unfortunately) for my group costume parade cum rotk screening.

OMG DO U SPEAK ELVISH

Freya
12-18-2003, 12:10 PM
Yep, they've known it was blue for some while, even though it doesn't really look that way in any of the pictures they released. But the general talk in the LOTR costuming community has been that the sleeves are "blood red" or "rose red," and quite honestly they look rather orange in the film.

But! I wore it anyway, and to hell with the colors. ^-^

LOL! That's how I was starting to feel about my fellowship cape; if anyone complained during the night I argued it book version. But in truth it was more green than I'd like it to be. The problem is alot of people see it as grey and alot more see it as this darkish/greyish green...not like a pure green, but I'm not sure anymore before I remake the cloak. -_-;

kelldar
12-18-2003, 08:37 PM
I finished it with no time left to spare >< Didn't have time at the movie to take any pictures, so I put it on today and took a few pictures, they're in my gallery:
http://images.cosplay.com/showgallery.php?ppuser=127&cat=500&password=
although none of them show all the painted designs and gazillion pearls on it.
But we had a lot of fun, I was the only person at the theater dressed up :D I cried and messed up my makeup but.... so worth it!!!!!

duck
12-18-2003, 11:42 PM
Kell, that is such a gorgeous dress!

I dressed up as a random hobbit without fuzzy feet(okay, I just threw some ren faire garb on) with Hitori, who was a j-rockish/dark elf.=)

Claireon
12-19-2003, 12:12 AM
Uwow, Kell! Stupendous!

Aer
12-19-2003, 03:33 PM
Awesome work!!

I just put together some ren festy things and a cloak, then put my hair up like a standard elf.

Kairi G
12-19-2003, 10:36 PM
I sometime want to make the white dress that Eowyn wore in Two Towers, i had wanted to make it for the premier but i didnt have enough money for the materials :(

Quantum9
12-23-2003, 01:26 AM
It's alright Kairi-sama. Besides, its probably best you didn't...my friends are so anti-cosplay that they would severely hurt me if they saw me talking to you...X-X;;;;

But whatever. XD

Chiri
12-23-2003, 11:17 AM
Awww...why hasn't anybody shown up at MY theater in costume for LOTR?! :bigcry: lol if I'm working nightshift and the theater is buzzing with people for LOTR, I wanna see a costume! XD Nobody's really that creative around here :p

Amantalathiel
12-23-2003, 04:26 PM
I went as arwen, my brother went as frodo (he wanted to go as aragorn, but I told him i'm not into that kind of stuff) we were the only ones dressed up

kaiba
12-25-2003, 12:01 PM
I wore my shieldmaiden Eowyn dress from Hallowe'en. Got stopped by a bunch of people and complimented on it. Plus people tried to steal my Frodo plush away. XD

KusanIvy
12-26-2003, 11:57 PM
Being from a medium sized city we had to have our own Trilogy Tuesday at my friend's house rather than go to the official one. But we did go to the midnight show in costume.

My Nazgul costume went over quite well despite being completely ghetto - I just didn't have that much time to work on it since I was busy making presents at the same time. I was really pleased with my robes. In this case it's a very good thing to have a near all black wardrobe. I had 8 different layers on (but no where near 50 yards of fabric). My gauntlets were ok - but I had no sooner duct taped the metal plating down in a satisfactory manner then I started losing metal fingernails and the silver spray paint started chipping off the gloves. I left a couple fingers and part of a boot in the theatre I think.

Reactions to my costume once we got to the theatre included "Holy @#$%!" and "God - people are freaks!" My only thought in response to that last one (besides "Thanks" ;) ) was - if you weren't expecting fans (or at least tolerant of them) then why would you bother coming to the midnight premiere?

Got some really cute pics of the "Festive Ring Wraith" (basically me with a Santa hat on). I'll have to get them off the camera soon and post them.

Shinobi
12-27-2003, 12:06 AM
*copied and pasted from the LOTR thread*

Me and my friends went to Return of the King last Sunday in costume! (We're in Michigan)

It was alot of fun, and it was my first time actually cosplaying in public. ^_^

I went as an elf, and most of my friends were in medieval/renaissance period costumes/clothing. None of us really had time/resources to come up with a costume for a specific character, but we still had fun and got attention. We even played DDR in our costumes!

Here's a Pic we got after the movie:

http://forums.cosplay.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5277

From left to right are the following forum members:
CatBoi Blues, ShadowLvr, The-Real-Link, Shinobi (me!), Yorusagi, and daguru
the Ringwraith in the background lurking like teh vampire is Gryphonic_Angel

Other Pic-u-tar:
http://forums.cosplay.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5278

kelldar
12-27-2003, 09:22 AM
thanks for your comments on my wedding dress (all the people way back on the first page, lol). I can't wait to wear it again :D