PDA

View Full Version : Naruto-Ninja Head Protectors

M00gle
12-14-2003, 05:34 PM
I was wondering where all you Naruto cosplayers out there got metal for your Head Protectors? I've been trying to find a good metal to work with. People have suggested covering something with foil, but I think that looks kinda lame. I've also checked out ninja headbands in stores (like toysnjoys.com), but those are a little too pricy. :sulk: Suggestions are highly appreciated. thanks!

:schitzo: -Meggie -Little miss Bishounen cosplayer. :heart:

Aer
12-14-2003, 05:49 PM
Mine isn't metal, but it's fooled people into thinking it is ^_^

It's in my gallery if you wanna check it out. I used Silver Metallic Posterboard instead. It's kinda delicate, and the paint of the symbol could potentially scratch off, but if you are careful, and take good care of it then it should work just fine. A nice, cheap alternative.

Misa-chan
12-14-2003, 05:51 PM
Actually, foil would work if you keep it smooth enough. I remember one person made their sailor senshi tiaras out of sheet metal, but I know nothing about working with it. o.o There are some cheaper ones on ebay though, look around and you'll see 'em. :)

Rashvard
12-14-2003, 06:02 PM
I just got it in a car plate (those with the XXX-number and the city its from) shop. Alluminium is very good to work with ^^

Catboi Blues
12-14-2003, 06:05 PM
I made my own and have been making them for others as well.

jennekohan
12-14-2003, 06:22 PM
I did the same thing Aer did with metallic posterboard and it worked pretty well. I had also purchased an official head protector, but the bandana part wasn't long enough to go around my head...I don't have a huge head or anything and it really dissapointed me since it was expensive. =_=;

Eleryth
12-14-2003, 06:49 PM
I believe a lot of people use metal flashing or the auto aluminum made for repairs. It's thin and flexible. You can buy it in the auto section of hardware stores. Don't forget to use tinsnips to cut it. At the store I worked at, it came rolled up, about a meter square or something for like, 3 bucks.

A friend of mind made his that way, and many people were asking where he bought it or if he could make one for them. He used upholstry tacks with the pokey part cut off for the attachment points. Some people use rivets or cut small circles out of the same material and glue those on. Rivets and the like can also be found at a good hardware store.

To attach it to the headband, he just used hotglue. If you use rivets, you could attach it right to the fabric, I think.

M00gle
12-15-2003, 04:15 PM
wow, these are all really helpful ideas, guys! X3

Mako-san
12-15-2003, 06:39 PM
I used aluminum flashing, you can buy then either in the rolls or in a package all ready cut in 10x10 squares, at Lowes hardware. I used a dremel to do the Hidden Leaf village symbol then use a paint pin to make it dark. Its not as shiny or clear shiny like the offical ones but worth it for less than 5 bucks, and I've made 3 of then for friends and will make 2 more, one for Itachi and one for Gaara.
I used epoxy to attach them on the fabric.

Has anyone noticed how some of the Japanese cosplayers make theirs really big!! its seems to me that the head band is huge!! @_@

dylan no tama
12-15-2003, 06:45 PM
at BAAF they were selling them in the dealers room for 50$
they're cast metal, i wear mine everywhere

StriderKenshin
12-17-2003, 03:37 AM
You can use a material called " repujado" in Mexico, I dont know whats the name of this material in english, but is like an aluminium, a metal, its flexible and moldeable, tou can mark it too, I use this material when I need something like metal in my cosplays

Daala
12-17-2003, 06:53 AM
They sell metal sheets in small section at local craft stores, you can easily cut it and make any kind of markings on it. It's used for metal crafts and is a bit better then flashing. I got some in gold (but they silver and copper) myself for another project and it comes in diffrent thickness.

doragon
12-17-2003, 04:00 PM
I made mine with a shingle from Home Depot's roofing department. They sell 5x7 sheets and all you have to do is cut in half and glue it or whatever to cloth, and viola...

Willy Chang
12-24-2003, 02:12 PM
Yo I know a place where you can get naruto style headbands that are... I think metal... (Not sure) and sasuke's shirt, naruto's jacket, and the leaf village jounin or sensei vests... But the shipping is 1 week and the price is costy...
Here's the site...
http://toysnjoys.com/narutoapparel.html
Sounds wierd but it's satisfying (Note: If I made spelling mistakes it's because usually I'm kinda tired)

Willy Chang
12-24-2003, 02:35 PM
Oh... Whoops... I guess I kinda screwed up on the toysnjoys thingy... Sorry my bad...
But I also have a question... What kinda fabric is great with the headband and what stores do you guys recommend me??? (The stores for the fabric and the sheet metal or what-so-ever type of metal) :confused:
Oh yeah How do you make the leaf symbol perfectly?
The reason is... I can't draw right, straight, and correctly!!!!:waaaah:
Also how big is the metal supposed to be? Does it have to be about the size of my head??? :square:

M00gle
12-24-2003, 02:36 PM
whew! got everything but the engraving done. I'm trying to find a way to get it in there deep and still good looking, but nothing so far has worked >.<

M00gle
12-24-2003, 02:39 PM
Yo I know a place where you can get naruto style headbands that are... I think metal... (Not sure) and sasuke's shirt, naruto's jacket, and the leaf village jounin or sensei vests... But the shipping is 1 week and the price is costy...
Here's the site...
http://toysnjoys.com/narutoapparel.html
Sounds wierd but it's satisfying (Note: If I made spelling mistakes it's because usually I'm kinda tired)

well, I thought about getting the official one, but I've heard some complaints, and it's also much, MUCH more expensive than I'd like to get with the headband alone. :chatah:

yummyfire
12-24-2003, 02:44 PM
Well, you could use shiny fabric and buttons. That what I did for mine. The symbol is just stitched on...

Suzushichan
12-24-2003, 04:24 PM
headbands, headbands, headbands...I made a few once using 'foamies' foam, hot glue, spray paint, and fabric...I sold a couple too. You can make them out of a lot of stuff as long as you know how to do it right... =^@'''_'''@^=

Willy Chang
12-25-2003, 02:24 PM
K... Well I know I need sheet metal and fabric... But still where can I get those stuff and how can I draw the leaf symbol perfectly??? Like I said I can't draw very good and I draw very crooked!!! :lost:
Well can Somebody recommend me a store and how to draw the leaf perfectly???

Xeno Blood
12-25-2003, 05:45 PM
the metal plate is about 2"x6" and if u can't draw the konoha symbol just make a stencil from this

Willy Chang
12-25-2003, 06:08 PM
Good but I got some few questions... What can I use to color the symbol on the metal part of the headband? Spray paint? or some other stuff?
Also what kind of fabric is appropriate? I also need that...
And anyways thanks for the stencils! :thumbsup:

Willy Chang
12-25-2003, 10:45 PM
OH yeah one more thing... Can anybody write or type in the instructions like trabus from the naruto style sandle forum? (This is a opptional opinion)
If they did great! But if they can't I understand...

My Brain is empty!!! (Just kidding)

Mako-san
12-26-2003, 11:05 AM
whew! got everything but the engraving done. I'm trying to find a way to get it in there deep and still good looking, but nothing so far has worked >.<

use a dremel to etch it in there.

Willy Chang "Good but I got some few questions... What can I use to color the symbol on the metal part of the headband? Spray paint? or some other stuff?
Also what kind of fabric is appropriate? I also need that...
And anyways thanks for the stencils!

I wouldn't use spray paint, it will get messy but i used a shapie and that worked a little but wasn't dark enought so then i used a Decocolor opaque paint marker in black and that work great.

Xeno Blood
12-26-2003, 11:13 AM
i have yet to make mine, but i am planning on making vinyl (graphic class) and just stick them on. As for making 1 i'm just learning

Willy Chang
12-26-2003, 02:54 PM
Hey I think I can Handle the fabric problem because my mother makes clothes from a Company called VARGA (The clothes was introduced from tv before except this was long time ago) And she has tons of fabric pink, Red, Blue, White, Black, Green, etc...
And anyways what color is the headband?
I do know it's blue but what kind of blue? Dark, Light, Baby, teal, or navy?
(Sorry why I am asking to much questions please forgive me)
And anyways I'm excited to make the headband...! *smile*
And about the instructions thingy... I will no longer be needing that *Smile*

M00gle
12-27-2003, 11:42 AM
Hey I think I can Handle the fabric problem because my mother makes clothes from a Company called VARGA (The clothes was introduced from tv before except this was long time ago) And she has tons of fabric pink, Red, Blue, White, Black, Green, etc...
And anyways what color is the headband?
I do know it's blue but what kind of blue? Dark, Light, Baby, teal, or navy?
(Sorry why I am asking to much questions please forgive me)
And anyways I'm excited to make the headband...! *smile*
And about the instructions thingy... I will no longer be needing that *Smile*

I used a navy blue, but plain royal blue works too, depends on what reference you're looking at.. but as long as it's blue , people will recognize it.

Willy Chang
12-27-2003, 12:46 PM
I see MOOgle... But this is my final question... (I hope you guys are relieved!) How do you attach the metal to the fabric??? I been thinking some various ideas... Hot glue, Buttons, Sewing on... But I have no clue what or how to attach the metal piece...
(Sorry Again Why I'm asking way too much questions...:()
Well anyways I'm still excited!!! I'm gonna buy the sheet metal from home depot, and My mother is bringing back some fabric... (If she has royal or nave blue that is)
:japan: Thank you very much guys! I really appreciate the support! :japan:
But Gominasi! (Means sorry in japanese... I think and sorry I tried my best writing it!)

HowlinMadMurphy
12-27-2003, 01:20 PM
I made a stencil from the image on the official Naruto website...
http://www.freewebs.com/peachflavored/konoha.jpg
(You may have to copy/paste it into your browser)
It should be pretty big so you can size it up or down to your liking.
As for attaching it, don't use hot glue, in my experience, it doesn't stick to material very well. Get some epoxy (like someone else recommended) from a hardware store and use that. Just out of curiosity, who are you cosplaying? Itachi?

Willy Chang
12-27-2003, 01:30 PM
Not really... I might... But I might cosplay as Nara shikamaru or Aburame Shino...
But I might have to think about it... But whats Epoxy?

Willy Chang
12-27-2003, 01:36 PM
Actually you know what? Forget about the: But whats Epoxy question. I know what it is but do I paste it behind the metal part and stick it onto the fabric?
Please let me know...
Oh... Whoops... I forgot I promised that i wasn't going to ask anymore questions... :(
Gominasi!

Gogglegirl
12-27-2003, 01:53 PM
My headband is really kinda simple. I used blue fabric and sliver fabric. The silver looks a lot like metal actually... well more like ducktape. but anyway. I just hot gluesd it on and then drew the symbol on with a balck perment marker.

M00gle
12-27-2003, 01:55 PM
Actually you know what? Forget about the: But whats Epoxy question. I know what it is but do I paste it behind the metal part and stick it onto the fabric?
Please let me know...
Oh... Whoops... I forgot I promised that i wasn't going to ask anymore questions... :(
Gominasi!

lol, it's okay to ask questions! I'm curious as to what Epoxy is too :o even though I already finished my headband (thanks to you guys!) and I believe it's spelled Gomenasai. I usually just say Sumimasen instead XD

Willy Chang
12-27-2003, 02:50 PM
All right so I can Ask away? Ok! And anyways thanx for the spelling tip!
Anyhow epoxy (Now I understand!) is a special material that is like clay except it's usually made for repairing but it's a good plaster thinghy... At home depot they sell those that are in putty or clay or whatever version and it is white... and basically I think it's around 8 bucks (Maybe) and they said the epoxy actually dries up and turns hard as steel... (I think so)
So MOOgle Do you think you can try to get a picture of your headband? I wanna see how it looks like...
So now I know what to buy: (if I am missing something or something wrong please correct or remind me)
Sheet metal, Navy or royal blue fabric, and a marker.
The marker is the only thing I have a problem on... What marker can I use to make the konoha symbol? I mean of course I can't draw good (:() but when I get the stencil I'll use that to make the symbol... But what kinda marker do u guys recommend?

M00gle
12-27-2003, 10:01 PM
All right so I can Ask away? Ok! And anyways thanx for the spelling tip!
Anyhow epoxy (Now I understand!) is a special material that is like clay except it's usually made for repairing but it's a good plaster thinghy... At home depot they sell those that are in putty or clay or whatever version and it is white... and basically I think it's around 8 bucks (Maybe) and they said the epoxy actually dries up and turns hard as steel... (I think so)
So MOOgle Do you think you can try to get a picture of your headband? I wanna see how it looks like...
So now I know what to buy: (if I am missing something or something wrong please correct or remind me)
Sheet metal, Navy or royal blue fabric, and a marker.
The marker is the only thing I have a problem on... What marker can I use to make the konoha symbol? I mean of course I can't draw good (:() but when I get the stencil I'll use that to make the symbol... But what kinda marker do u guys recommend?

I used sharpie to make the symbol darker on mine. I'll get a photo as soon as I can get my scanner up and running, that or gank my friend's digital camera or sumtin. X3 I like how it came out, but I think I need to reglue the metal :o

Willy Chang
12-29-2003, 06:39 PM
Sorry Why I havent answered for some time... I was sick for 3 days and I ended up with a headache, sore throat, and a fever... Well basically it was a cold but I'm okay (At least I think so) Anyways I stumbled into another problem... Um about the sheet metal How do you make it curvy? (If I spelled wrong just ignore it) That's one of the questions I have been Stuck on... Anyways I recieved the fabric from my mother... so I'm excited to make the headband (Even though it can be a pain in the butt)

M00gle
12-30-2003, 12:01 AM
Sorry Why I havent answered for some time... I was sick for 3 days and I ended up with a headache, sore throat, and a fever... Well basically it was a cold but I'm okay (At least I think so) Anyways I stumbled into another problem... Um about the sheet metal How do you make it curvy? (If I spelled wrong just ignore it) That's one of the questions I have been Stuck on... Anyways I recieved the fabric from my mother... so I'm excited to make the headband (Even though it can be a pain in the butt)

the sheet metal I got was a little hard to bend, but I was able to make it bent enough to fit comfortably on my head by just bending it with my hands. I suppose if you have too think of metal you'd need to hammer it around something round and hard to get it right :chatah:

Willy Chang
12-30-2003, 12:41 AM
Oh yeah when you said about the bending the sheet metal, I remembered that if you bend the sheet metal the metal can get all crooked or whatever so do you think there might be a way to solve these problems?

M00gle
12-30-2003, 08:54 PM
Oh yeah when you said about the bending the sheet metal, I remembered that if you bend the sheet metal the metal can get all crooked or whatever so do you think there might be a way to solve these problems?

well, with the metal I got.. I'm able to just bend it back the way it was if I messed it up...

Willy Chang
12-31-2003, 02:16 PM
O! I see... Well thanx for help but... I'll post up some new questions if I have problems... But it'll be sooner or later on...! Oh yeah I forgot In naruto the headbands have these circle things on the side... How do you make those? Cut the metal out, or just draw it?

Mako-san
12-31-2003, 05:09 PM
on mine i used black foamies to kinda support the flashing then glued that to the fabric. Flashing is really easy to bend, cuts like paper. Some people use rivets for the "buttons" or circles you see also.

M00gle
12-31-2003, 10:08 PM
O! I see... Well thanx for help but... I'll post up some new questions if I have problems... But it'll be sooner or later on...! Oh yeah I forgot In naruto the headbands have these circle things on the side... How do you make those? Cut the metal out, or just draw it?

I cut off the top of metal brads and used those X3

Chun Li
12-31-2003, 10:37 PM
Fabric-Metal-Forhead

darkenedxstar
01-07-2004, 10:35 PM
My friend made one and she sometimes wears it to school. I noticed hers wasn't too detailed but she just used a headband and sewed on felt {white} and drew the squiggly line on the felt. It isn't too exact to what you are looking for but I'm just giving out an idea. I don't really know what Naruto really is and stuff... I've just seen a few pictures so yeah~ I wouldn't really know who is really wearing this... I do I mean... I saw on ebay! lol... oh and another opinion from myself is that you can buy from ebay! Haha, they have alot and they're kinda expensive but if you're willing to buy it online... I guess it's worth it, lol... if not, here's another opinion from me... use aluminum cans and cut them up {beware of the hands... you may cut yourself and bleed} and then use gluegun or some kind of really strong glue and glue then on a headband you bought or a headband you have made.

on3_w1ng3d_4ng3
01-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Hey Chang, Why are the shirts and stuff so expensive? I looked on that site you posted earlier

Willy Chang
01-09-2004, 07:26 PM
I Dunno... It's Maybe cause of shipping or whatever... Oh yeah I forgot... WHat if the metal part of the headband rusts? SHould I buy those spraying things that doesn't rust metal?

darkenedxstar
01-14-2004, 08:38 PM
Use a SunnyDelight bottle and spray paint it silver and it works... the one I made was a commission for someone.

the_tennyo
01-16-2004, 02:32 PM
a sunny delight bottle??
how did you do that?

darkenedxstar
01-16-2004, 08:51 PM
You cut the sunny delight bottle... like some parts of it... lol, and yeah... well... too lazy to explain! lol sry

Yusukana
01-18-2004, 05:45 PM
hey...i kinda bought my hitai-ate! haha, not very helpful is it? but then, if you have a job or something it doesn't really matter becuase you just regain you money. OR, you could ask someone to buy one for ya for an early B-day gift or something...im not helpful! don't mind me....=.=

Railiens
01-18-2004, 08:58 PM
I'll go ahead and post the method I used for my headband. Started with a reguarl strip of cheap blue fabric and made a headband by criss-crossing elastic string through holes at the ends. I equally cut pieces of shimmery silver paper and transparency paper and drew designs on the silver to make it look somewhat 3D. I then sewed (with a needle and thread) the paper to the blue headband, sewing at the points that the "metal" is "bolted" to the headband.

Anyway, here's a photo of the headband. Strange pic.... ^^;;
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=83116&password=&sort=1&cat=6362&page=1

Cost me $2, I think it looks pretty good and it has held up perfectly ^^

Kage K
01-19-2004, 12:17 AM
uhh nm, i made a thread a thread about it instead.

Willy Chang
01-20-2004, 08:32 PM
Yo! I've got a problem here. K...u see when I asked about the Konoha symbol thingy, well this is a different a story. How do you print or color in the symbol on the metal part? I've been thinking about this question since yesterday. OH yeah what do you guys recommend me to put the metal part on the fabric? Epoxy putty (Or whatever), Hot glue, or some other option?

Kage K
01-21-2004, 05:18 AM
OH yeah what do you guys recommend me to put the metal part on the fabric? Epoxy putty (Or whatever), Hot glue, or some other option?

good question, im wondering the same too or if anyone else has any other methods/options of doing this?

M00gle
01-21-2004, 08:41 PM
good question, im wondering the same too or if anyone else has any other methods/options of doing this?

I used mainly hot glue, but when you attach metal to metal, I recommend something like "J.B. Weld", it works super well when attaching metal or plastic. But hot glue or super glue is a pretty good solution to anything XD!

Willy Chang
01-23-2004, 11:19 AM
Alrighty! So now I know the attaching problem and now how do you paste or print the Konoha on the metal part?

nagareboshi
02-05-2004, 07:51 AM
Just to throw another idea out there, I'll tell you how I made mine. first I took an old blue t-shirt and cut the bottom 6-7 inches off, cut it once (so that it's not a loop anymore), folded it (the hot dog way ^^), sewed the edges together, and turned it right side out. next I took an old lotion bottle and cut a rectangle about 6 inches by 3 inches out, rounded off the corners, spray painted it silver, and drew the konoha symbol on it (with a sharpie). then I sewed the plastic rectangle onto the headband (attatched once on each corner). well, this isn't too fancy for all you advanced cosplayers, but hey, it works and it's cheap! and some people thought that it was metal! ^_^
hope this helped!
:bigtu:

~kyo chotto jinsei toyu michi ni mayo te na~

ServerKiller
02-05-2004, 09:29 AM
getting my headband today hopefully from a friend that sells them.

Catboi Blues
02-05-2004, 09:59 AM
As of right now I have three different versions of mine(costruction wise).

My originals were made out of a foam material but they looked like punched leather. I usually sell those to kids because they're soft and flexible. Version 2 uses a plastic that molds to the wearer and version 3 will be metal. If any of you are going to Katsu, you'll have to check them out and give me your opinion. I'm always interested in hearing what people think about my work.

mokulen22
02-16-2004, 06:41 PM
I have found alot of sites that sell Naruto headbands but none that sell the other villeges headband. I would perfer not to make one...I'm little on the lazy side:P I'm looking for a hidden mist one (I suppose that a rare request) Please, if someone can help me:P

Cheetos
03-06-2004, 08:55 PM
I have a question about the aluminum flahsing everyone keeps talking about... what would you use to cut it? And then after you did that, would the edges be sharp, and then what would you do for that?? o.o
thak you ^_^

--Chrissy

orichimarux13
03-11-2004, 06:36 PM
this might sound cheap to you but this is the perfect way to make a naruto style head band first you take an aluminum can cut the top off with a can opener then cut down one side. then you cut around the botom part of the can. you now switch it over on the silver side of the can measure out a good looking size band cut it out then design. the aluminum is weak so this wouldnt be protection but for cosplay its great and cheap to make. basicly you take silver brads or staples and put them through the headband and then you have it ready to design!!

Zirofax
03-11-2004, 09:08 PM
Hey I have a question, could anyone make a pattern for the symbol on the Sand Village's headband?

orichimarux13
03-12-2004, 12:05 AM
Hey I have a question, could anyone make a pattern for the symbol on the Sand Village's headband?
here is a chart with all the diffrent patterns! :bigtu:

Uchiha Clan
03-16-2004, 07:37 PM
i found some different village headbands on ebay
check it out

Kaori-chan
03-29-2004, 06:28 PM
Hmmm I just kinda skipped through the first part of this thread (I'm getting kind of impatient....hehe) so sorry if I'm asking something someone's already addressed, but I'm looking to buy a Naruto forehead protector. Now, this wouldn't be so hard if I was looking for a Konoha forehead protector, but what I need is Hidden Mist! I know they make cheap versions of them (but I have nowhere to get one of those), but what I really want is the uber-nice metal ones that seem to be so common among the numerous leaf protectors out there. I made a fairly nice one myself out of poster board and aluminum spray, but, like I said before, I want one that's really nice. Please help!

AkaKiba
08-10-2004, 10:45 PM
Hey mokulen22, I found a link that has what I think you are looking for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dllViewItem&category=73575&item=3740516835&rd=1

Hope this helps.

Mandyness
08-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Okay i know somepeople don't like making the head bands so there is a web site called Gkworld and it has all the Naruto Head Bands.
WWW.Gkworld.com
Go to the top of the page and put Naruto and it will come up to the page.

Kaori-chan
08-15-2004, 04:44 PM
Cool site! But I searched for Naruto and all I got was a bunch of posters and pins and stuff. Could you direct link please?

Mandyness
08-15-2004, 06:49 PM
Cool site! But I searched for Naruto and all I got was a bunch of posters and pins and stuff. Could you direct link please?
sure i just need to find again ^_^"

Kaori-chan
08-17-2004, 07:26 PM
Thanks a bunch! (^_^)

Lady
08-17-2004, 08:35 PM
I dunno why so many people use actual metal and/or buy the official headbands.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/Saralady/haku_headband.jpg

There's the headband I made for my Haku cosplay. Total cost for supplies was probably $10. I took photos of the process when I made it, and after Dragon*Con, I'll assemble them into a quickie tutorial. It was really easy, yo, and total time was maybe 30 minutes to make.

Just take two pieces of thick paper, cut out the design on one, leave the other whole. Paint the whole one/underlayer in a dark silver. Paint the top one/cut one in a lighter silver. Using a kit you can find in most fabric stores, put holes in the headband and the protector, then attach snaps to it. Then attach the "metal" protector to the headband. Voila! Now you have a headband that, when it gets dirty or sweaty, you can detach from the forehead protector, and toss in the washing machine.

Kaori-chan
08-20-2004, 04:45 PM
Your headband looks good! The reason I choose metal over paper or even plastic, though I don't know if that one's been attempted, is because it's more accurate as far as the materials go. But then again, that's just how I chose to do it. *shrugs*

Gamabunta
08-22-2004, 03:57 PM
There's one thing that's been bothering me for a while..

How exactly would one go about making Chouji's Headband?

Perhaps... Do the same as a regular headband, but when you cut the fabric, you add a strip on top, which tapers outward as you get closer to the front of it...Hm..Any more ideas?

Kaori-chan
08-26-2004, 09:23 PM
Actually, all headbands are done "kerchief" style, or at least the ones in the anime are. Take a huuuuuuuuge square of fabric, arrange it so that it forms a diamond with the headband in the very middle, and attatch the headband. Then fold the bottom half under so that it makes a triangle. Tie the headband around your head using the two points of the triangle that stick out to either side of the headband, and then bring the top one over the top of your head, leaving room for the necessary amount of hair to stick out, and tie it. Voila!

DJ Psygriffio
08-26-2004, 09:45 PM
Just wanted to give a quick shoutout to everyone here on the thread for suggesting some great ideas for the construction of the Naruto headband. I don't know a great deal about the anime, but have read a bit of the manga, and it was great to finally be able to make the signature headband that's shown up so much, recently. They've all got great designs, so I'm looking forward to learning more about the series in the near future.

Thanks again everyone, and keep up the great work! Hopefully I've have some pics up in my gallary of my head protector, sometime soon. Cosplaying some of the characters might be fun too. ^^

Kaori-chan
08-27-2004, 08:09 PM
Awesome! I'm glad the thread was able to help you out. I can't wait to see your pics!!! :D

DJ Psygriffio
08-29-2004, 06:54 AM
Got a pic of my finished headband over in the "in progress" section of my gallary. Everyone here had some great input on construction and materials that really helped out when I was designing it. It all proved very useful and effective for reference work. I'm glad it turned out as good as it did. Thanks again everyone, and best wishes to you all! ^^

Kaori-chan
08-29-2004, 07:41 PM
The headband looks great! I'm glad we could help, and I look forward to seeing some possible Naruto cosplays from you in the future. ^^

Gamabunta
09-01-2004, 09:14 PM
Actually, all headbands are done "kerchief" style, or at least the ones in the anime are. Take a huuuuuuuuge square of fabric, arrange it so that it forms a diamond with the headband in the very middle, and attatch the headband. Then fold the bottom half under so that it makes a triangle. Tie the headband around your head using the two points of the triangle that stick out to either side of the headband, and then bring the top one over the top of your head, leaving room for the necessary amount of hair to stick out, and tie it. Voila!

Ah, I see. I was just gonna go for a cheapo-faux hanker approach, but with that, I can go from Chouji to Standard in 6.7 minutes! Well, say, If you are doing a roughly 6 by 2 protector (I still have to go look...My Dremel is itchin'), what size of a fabric square would you need?

janmurphy
09-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Just a note, but if you fold it first then place the bottom of the metal where the fold is, the metal wont be in the dirsct center, but its easier to fold symetrically into a triangle.
Tie something around your head, mark where you think the sticky out parts should end. That would be the diagonal length. Then just fold the cloth you have in a big triangle, measure the diagonal up to where you want and cut. Make sure youve got right angles at the corners, its kinda like origami.

Kaori-chan
09-02-2004, 08:57 PM
I'm glad I could help! ^^ And for the kerchief, don't settle for a diagonal of less than a yard. I made a cheapo forehead protector with a cloth band that's about a yard in length, thinking it would be plenty. It was barely enough, but it worked. janmurphy's idea is the best, but just to let ya know so you don't end up wasting fabric or something, like I would have done if I hadn't decided to go huge. Remember, you can make a big piece smaller, but making small pieces bigger is only possible if you cut out a new one. ^_~ Be sure to post pics!!!

Kaori-chan
10-02-2004, 10:56 PM
Those are good forehead protectors!

hikarilight
10-02-2004, 10:58 PM
Yea, they are lovely *_*

DjZen
10-29-2004, 05:03 PM
Since I'm a noob at these forums, When you make the konoha village or whatever village headbands, I know how to get the sheet metal on the fabric, but how do you make those metal dots on the side? (I think they're called ribets?)

Kaori-chan
10-29-2004, 05:29 PM
Close! They're rivets. And they're painfully hard to find, at least where I am. You could always use those metal studs they sell at fabric stores, or, if you don't want to drill holes in your forehead protector, buy a box of silver-colored brads, take the prongs off, and hot glue the heads on where you want them (I highly reccommend drawing a dot in permanent marker where you want them to be, so you don't mess up). I hope that helped!

DjZen
11-04-2004, 12:00 AM
Close! They're rivets. And they're painfully hard to find, at least where I am. You could always use those metal studs they sell at fabric stores, or, if you don't want to drill holes in your forehead protector, buy a box of silver-colored brads, take the prongs off, and hot glue the heads on where you want them (I highly reccommend drawing a dot in permanent marker where you want them to be, so you don't mess up). I hope that helped!

Do they also sell these metal studs or silver-brads in home depot or other hardware stores too?

janmurphy
11-04-2004, 04:04 AM
Here for rivets we go to the craft store, dont count them out!

Kaori-chan
11-04-2004, 06:39 PM
At the only craft stores near my house, the people are only there to make money and only know what they're talking about if they've read the instructions in one of those cheap craft kits you can buy. (~____~) Well, your best bet is to go to hobby, craft, and hardware/home improvement stores and ask one of the employees if they sell rivets.

And if they ask you what rivets are, run away as fast as you can.

For brads, the only place you need to go is an office supply store.

tanukichan
11-05-2004, 04:36 AM
yay this is my first post...err hem...i mean on with the topic :)
thank you so much for helping me out!! I'VE FINALLY FOUND WHAT THOSE CIRCLY BOLTY LOOKING THINGS ARE CALLED! ^________^RIVETS!
i guess my headband came in pretty cheap, since the material was basically "provided" by school...*i... didn't steal them T_T;* i've used a piece of aluminium metal and engraved the symbol on...i'm wondering any suggestions for sticking the metal onto the fabric, Kinda like so its detachable for washing the fabric if it gets dirty...cos i don't wanna glue it on *nooooo*

DjZen
11-05-2004, 06:25 PM
And final question... (Me thinks...) when applying the fabric on the sheet metal, does the fabric have to be sewed?

Amethyst Angel
11-05-2004, 07:02 PM
And final question... (Me thinks...) when applying the fabric on the sheet metal, does the fabric have to be sewed?

For my head protectors, I use plastic styrene (which can be purchased in hobby shops or on ebay in small sheets) . I glue the styrene over a thick layer of craft foam, glue denim studs to the edges and then carve the leaf symbol into the plastic. (It takes a steady hand.) Since I can sew through the layers of foam and plastic, I simply sew the "metal" plate to the cloth with small stitches.

Kaori-chan
11-09-2004, 04:29 PM
For the fabric thing, you can use snaps, as long as you glue and sew them on right. Snap on, snap off!

Sakura-Fan
11-09-2004, 07:35 PM
helllloooo i need to have the sakura outfit...-_- i nneeeeed it...but if my parental figures make it, it will take forever...i want to wear it soon but i can't sew for crap...does anyone have a cheaper alternative or maybe a site i could buy the costume off for not that expensive???? email me at meliss0515@sbcglobal.net if you have any suggestions thank you ^_^

Kaori-chan
11-09-2004, 07:54 PM
This would be better over in the Naruto Cosplay section, but yeah. Do you have any friends who can sew and will help you? You could always comission one, if you can find someone who is willing to negotiate with you on the prices. For future costumes... you sound like your parents can sew, so maybe you can learn from them. That way, you can sew a costume whenever you want. Of course, it takes time to learn, so for the Sakura costume I'd reccommend posting over in the Naruto Costumes thread and asking there.

Insane_Drifter
11-10-2004, 12:06 PM
hey to all I was wondering what sorta material I would use for a kakashi costume on the vest the pants the shirt the gloves and the sandals

janmurphy
11-10-2004, 04:25 PM
Wht do people keep posting totally off topic questions in here? Youll really get a better response if you put this in one of the multiple threads on Kakashi's outfit.

Kaori-chan
11-10-2004, 07:43 PM
Or on the Naruto Costumes thread. Janmurphy, I was wondering the exact thing.

And Insane Drifter, I'd be happy to answer your question, just not in here. Feel free to PM me, though. That goes for anyone. Even if I don't know how much I can help, I'll try. Yep.

Gamabunta
02-26-2005, 08:45 PM
Well, after several months of looking, I finally found some aluminum ( Two sheets in a pack, about a foot long by 4 or five inches for 1.99 at HobbyLobby). Tinsnips and double-trimming aside, it turned out good. I took out my Dremel (With the sweet flex-shaft I got for christmas) and rounded out the edges/rough spots.

Then I started to engrave the Konoha symbol..

Ugh..

Well...I should have bought a better engraving bit...

But at any rate, I filled it with paint, so It looks better..I wish I had taken In-production photos.

As for the little rivets...I couldn't find anything suitable ANYWHERE. So I just made some out of Super Sculpey and Chrome spray paint...

So right now I'm applying a few coats of Future Floor Polish for that extra protection and shine (This aluminum marrs soooo easily)

So, lemme total this up for ya:

Aluminum: 1.99
Paint Marker: Had on-hand, was 1.45
Sculpey: On-Hand, But with how much I used...about 4 cents worth.
Chrome Spray Paint: 2.89
Future Floor Polish: Had on-hand (It's economic and cheap for a sculptor like myself), cost around 6.50 for a 27 oz. bottle
Dark Blue headband (Square) : 87c
Total (Not including Future, Because it isn't necessary) : $7.24
So, after another coat I'll iron the headband fabric, surge it to look properly like Chouji's (I've tried to fold it, but it just doesn't look right)
Then, with a little bit of E6000 (The Grand-daddy of Industrial-Strength adhesives) I'll attach it.

HAY GUYS THAT WAS BORING

So, Pictures will come sooner or later.....Then comes the task of getting the rest of the costume together...

Akari
02-27-2005, 08:28 PM
Hm.... I heard there's an actual easier process using cookie sheets that can be found if you search for it. I'm not too sure because I read that a while ago and now I don't know where it is atm.

(off topic) I'm planning a haku cosplay and I'm still in the planning stages ^__^;; Anyone want to give me a hand with it?

Gamabunta
02-27-2005, 10:36 PM
Well, here's the metal part...I flattened it (AUGH) and scanned it, so you can't see the shinyness...

http://images.cosplay.com/data/500/22132ForeheadProtector.jpg

It is about 5.8 inches by 2 something

lilithbunny
03-01-2005, 02:54 PM
I tried using a sharpie, but sharpie doesn't like to write on metal and turns out iffy at best. I prefer painting the symbol on in gray paint, lining it with a thin line of black paint, then sealing my paintjob with clear polyurethane spray. The result is easier than trying to drill the symbol on and looks truer to the anime. Several people have asked me where I bought my naruto headpieces, thinking they were the uber-expensive ones sold professionally. Ha! Take that, over-priced trinket manufacturers!

For the little stud things, I found Bedazzler studs that were absolutely perfect, but I can't find them anymore and so last time I used upholstery tacks.

Kaori-chan
03-01-2005, 07:51 PM
We used aluminum flashing, then sketched the designs on with pencil, sharpied them, and then painted them. We glued on rivety stud thingies for the rivets and it worked great. ^^

Rinpu
03-08-2005, 02:54 PM
I just finished my first Naruto headband this morning. It's half good and half bad... Overall it looks pretty good, I think. I'm happy with the way the symbol (painted with enamel craft paint) and the rivets (thumbtacks) look. The only problem is the crappiness of the metal.

I used an ArtEboss aluminum sheet (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/fimo/artemsofmet.html) medium weight, which is the thickest they make. I got it at a craft store for $5. It was a little thinner than I had expected, basically just really thick aluminum foil. The symbol worked great--I used the little wooden embossing stylus they give you to press the music note into the metal, then painted the shape inside the grooves. It made a nice 3D effect that looks pretty cool in person.

The bad part is that the thinness of the aluminum hurt the overall plate. Dozens of lumps and bumps and lines show up on it, even though I was incredibly careful with it the entire time. The worst part was when I hot glued it to the headband--every glue line shows up pressed into the metal! It's really obvious, especially when light hits it just the right way. Ugh.

I'm going to have to make another one, because I don't want crappy lumpy metal. I'm going to try aluminum flashing for version 2, which will hopefully hold its shape better. So if you're making a Naruto headband, I would *not* recommend the ArtEmboss stuff.

But it's still fun to run around the house as a Sound nin, even if my headband is lumpy. :D

Pics: The first one is good, the second one shows all the ugly lumps.

Kaori-chan
03-08-2005, 05:18 PM
It looks really good except for the lumps; it's too bad the material turned out like that. The great thing about aluminum flashing is that it even shines the way they do in the anime! AND you can cut it with scissors! :D

Rinpu
03-11-2005, 07:13 AM
It looks really good except for the lumps; it's too bad the material turned out like that.

Thanks! I bought some flashing at the hardware store yesterday, and I'm going to try again. :)

BTW, your Tayuya costume looks *fabulous*. Awesome job!

Rinpu
03-11-2005, 03:23 PM
Wow, my second headband took no time at all! And it looks a million times better than the first one. Hooray for 35 cent aluminum shingles! Too bad I wasted 5 bucks on that embossing junk...I guess I'll have to make up some embossing project to get my money's worth out of it.

I still have half of the shingle...I think I'm going to make a Konoha headband just for fun! :D

Hikaru_Claire
03-12-2005, 07:07 PM
Wow, my second headband took no time at all! And it looks a million times better than the first one. Hooray for 35 cent aluminum shingles! Too bad I wasted 5 bucks on that embossing junk...I guess I'll have to make up some embossing project to get my money's worth out of it.

hmm not half bad...

i make my own to sell for some pocket money at cons (shameless plug! http://classifieds.cosplay.com/showproduct.php?product=1586&sort=1&cat=500&page=1 ^_^) but is polyurethane spray the best thing to cover the aluminum with to make sure the paint doesn't come off? doesn't the metal lose some of it's shine? and what and how do you use a dremel??

Halfling
03-13-2005, 06:38 AM
they look nice, rinpu :)

I'm planning to attach the metal to the headband with velcro... does anybody have a clue whether that could work?

What exactly are aluminium shingles, and what are they normally used for?

TwiliteSea
03-13-2005, 11:57 AM
That site is in a completely different language and nothing there looks headband-related (such as photos). You're posting the same link over and over again on different areas of the board. Please stop.
And you don't need to double post.

darkneko
03-13-2005, 12:28 PM
how do you make the head thing?

Halfling
03-14-2005, 02:57 AM
darkneko: step 1: read this thread ;)

gnarly
03-14-2005, 06:49 AM
ok, my first ever post, for my first ever anime related project, got all the building materials down pat (aluminium, material, dremel, dremel bits)
but here comes the questions, after engraving the metal plate would black shoe polish do the job (thick, hard, old fashioned stuff).
For attaching the metal plate what would be recommended,(besides the use of glue and other such alternatives) i want to be able to remove it for washing.
now to the fabric, wat thickness and length would best(metric system pls :) )
thx

Halfling
03-14-2005, 07:54 AM
If I understand correctly, you were going to use shoepolish for the sign? I think a permanent marker would work better... wouldn't shoepolish rub off on stuff?

There's some suggestions on removable attachment of the metal, I'm going to try using velcro myself, but I've seen some other solutions in the thread as well.

I think I'm going to make mine out of cotton, and make the bandana-type headband, not a simple strip of cloth, so i'm using fairly lightweight fabric as the folds will already give it weight. Or something. Just go to the fabric store, look around, and buy what you like best.

For measurement, try putting something around your head and measure that. It kinda depends on the size of your head.

Kaori-chan
03-14-2005, 09:25 PM
Rinpu, your hitai-ate looks great! I'm glad it turned out so well. And thanks for the compliment on my Tayuya cosplay! (^_^)

As for other questions:

Velcro should work. Sew it to the fabric and glue it to the flashing (hotglue works nicely and is the easiest way if you wanna attatch the metal directly to the fabric as well)

Shoepolish would rub off. I suggest using sharpie and then going over it in acrylic/fabric paint.

As for the fabric, just take some rag fabric you don't want and start cutting prototypes. When you get the size you need, that's what you use. :D

procrastinator
03-15-2005, 02:00 AM
I read the thread and love all the suggestions... So here's my question. Is Temari's cloth navy blue or black? It's really dark in all my reference shots.

lilithbunny
03-15-2005, 09:45 AM
The cloth of Temari's head protector is dark blue, as is Gaara's.

lil_kazan420
03-15-2005, 08:50 PM
jello everybody how are all of u doin

Devi Dark Wolf
03-16-2005, 12:50 PM
I need a forehead protector for Itachi, and I keep spending WAAAAYYY too much money on cosplay, so do you think it'd be better to make one myself or to buy one and etch the slash in?

Also, what should I use for the scratch on the metal? Or should I paint it?

Devi

Rinpu
03-18-2005, 08:40 PM
I need a forehead protector for Itachi, and I keep spending WAAAAYYY too much money on cosplay, so do you think it'd be better to make one myself or to buy one and etch the slash in?
Devi

I say make your own. It's not as hard as it looks, and it beats spending way too much money on an official one. There's lots of good advice and tutorials on this thread, so why not give it a shot?

Besides, if you buy an official one and scratch it for Itachi, you can't use it for any other character (I notice you also have Iruka in your costume plans). If you do it yourself, you can make as many as you need, or make one with interchangeable plates like some people have done.

K U R I
03-19-2005, 08:16 AM
Wah! Thanks for all the information, I 100% made my own and it looks great, I didn't even have to spend a dime.

lemming
06-12-2005, 09:40 AM
This thread has become a lifesaver. I've got three headbands I need to make for Otakon, one for each member of the family. Hopefully ds will wear his. *laugh*

Anyway this can be 'stickied' so it doesn't get lost?

anji_kenshin
06-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Does anybody have kind of a Step by Step guide with pictures to make one?

This is seriously the FIRST thing I've attempting making for cosplay >.<

lemming
06-12-2005, 04:47 PM
Well, there are a few methods of how to make one, I read through it this morning and got a general idea of how I was going to go about it. If you skim through the thread (and I know, it's BIG), you'll find the how-to's.

Tsikaro
06-13-2005, 08:53 PM
i just made a mist and a sand today that are stainless steel i believe and they look pretty good, definately so compared to the first ones i made with the aluminum even tho it is a lot easier to use. well 8 more villages to go...

Dark_Wings
06-14-2005, 10:17 PM
Um, question. I have an official konoha head band, but my problem is that it's pretty stiff, and I need it to bend... Is there anyway to do that? I need to wear it on my head for Pakkun, but it makes my skull look... squarie. D:

anime_firelight
07-19-2005, 03:18 AM
Um, question. I have an official konoha head band, but my problem is that it's pretty stiff, and I need it to bend... Is there anyway to do that? I need to wear it on my head for Pakkun, but it makes my skull look... squarie. D:

Oh wow! Usually,the official ones are curved to fit nicely on your forehead. If the metal is not malleable or bendable... you might risk breaking or messing up your head band. X_x I don't suggest that you mutilate it if you're in doubt. It's not that expensive to make one yourself and shape it to your heart's content. xD

i love the suggestions in this forum! I'm making a forehead protector for a jrock cosplay (Aya from Psycho le Cemu in the music video Momotarou aka Yume Kazaguruma). I think I'd go with sheet metal or aluminum shingles. I'm considering using Heavy Duty Velcro to attach the metal onto the fabric.

I wish you luck if you choose another alternative, Dark_Wings! :toothy:

sasuke1991
03-13-2006, 12:07 AM

what kind is that one? i have the one that that came in a orangish box...
http://www.animecollectibles.com/uploads/images/nrt/naruto-headband-metal.jpg

if that's the kind then it'll bend and will stay but if you bend it like alot alot as in actually folding it, then that's when you panic for a new one:bigcry: .

so basically you can ajust it to your forhead.. heh i was afraid of bending it too..:bigtu:

good luck!

_YukiShu_
03-13-2006, 12:26 AM
I just finished making my Kiba head band a few days ago. I used a soda can for the metal part and I filed around all the sharp edges and glued a piece of cardboard to the back of the metal.
http://aniplush.50megs.com/

YuffieK
03-13-2006, 03:43 PM
I just made a sand one yesterday out of a peice of Stainless steel, then I used a uhm... I forget what they're called but it's like a pen for writting in stainless steel (it makes little holes in it), then I just went over that in sharpie. I'll post up some pics soon. :)

Narutodude
05-07-2008, 05:12 PM
I found one headband for a pretty low price!:bigtu:
http://narutostore.viz.com/ttc/Headbands/cPath/10272/gclid/CNXcotCzlZMCFQlXxgodq2Njew.html

i bought one out of my pocket money!

theyre not that much and i :heart: it , especially for my cosplay!!!

my friend was sasuke! MWAAHHAHA