PDA

View Full Version : Molding Foam?

cuddly_kitten
12-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Alright so I'm making the Argent Confessor Palestress (http://images.wikia.com/wowwiki/images/5/58/Argent_Confessor_Paletress.jpg) outfit and I am making the shoulders, I'm really looking into foam (EVA sheets), but I am slightly new to armor making. How do you "mold" foam into the shape you want it? Do you make a paper mache mold and heat the foam over it or is there even a way to mold EVA foam? Thanks for your help :)

AshofRebirth
12-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Yep! Basically, you heat it up, press it over a mold (I think any mold would do), and let it cool. There's a tutorial out there, but I can't find it at the momeeent.. But yeah, that's basically what you do (then reinforce it with cloth)

cuddly_kitten
12-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Sweet thanks

Zil
12-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Search for "eva foam armor" in google and it should come up with some helpful results! If you take a look in my gallery you can see some progress shots of my Birth By Sleep Terra armor. It might give you some idea of what this stuff can do.

ruriko87
12-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Hi, I was about to ask a qn regarding eva foam and luckily this thread popped up. I was wondering how much heat is required and how to tell if the foam is ready for moulding? I only require to bend the foam into a tube...

Zil
12-13-2011, 09:42 PM
I use a heat gun I found for $12 online at Harborfrieght tools. It's always done the job for me. You can also stick your foam in the oven for like 10 seconds. BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU DO THIS. Don't ever walk away from the oven if there's foam in it. You'll just have to experiment until you get the feel for when it's at it's ideal bending point. The foam gets a little squishy and should feel very warm. Make sure you hold the bent foam in place until it cools.