PDA

View Full Version : FIREFLY: Mal's Coat

Nevernaut
12-18-2003, 10:25 PM
I really want to do Malcolm Reynold's coat from FIREFLY, but I've hit a stumbling block: It's almost entirely made of rust-colored suede. Anyone know of a place that might be willing to sell me enough rust-colored suede to make a knee-length coat from (if you knew of a place that would give me the suede, that would be better, but I'm not to confident about that)? Or perhaps a cheaper, easier to comeby alternative? You think moleskin would work?

murmur
12-18-2003, 10:41 PM
Moleskin's probably your best alternative, if you can't find real suede for a good price, and you might be able to find some leather dye (at a shoe repair shop or online) so you could match the right rust color. Maybe lining the coat with a little bit stiffer fabric would give it a drape and weight more similar to real suede? You might also check a few thrift stores-- lately I've been seeing a lot of coats in that rusty-orange colored leather that was popular in, like, the 70's, and it's just about as close to giving it away as anything.

Claireon
12-19-2003, 09:50 PM
A lot of suede is synthetic, and I've seen it around for very good prices... Check the stores listed on fabric.net and stuff. Although I don't know how thick it is, so yeah, lining or interfacing it to get that stiffness might be necesssary.

Kairi G
12-19-2003, 10:13 PM
O MY! I love you! anyone who does Firefly cosplay is amazing! i absolutely love that show!!!!!!! but anyways.......yeah i would say go with suade, or moleskin for the coat, the moleskin would be easier to sew but the suade would be more accurate. For the suade, you would need to make sure you used a leather needle on your sewing machine and that the machine would be able to handle leather, not all are powerful enough. hehe i love you!!!!!!!!!! Mal is sooooooooooo SEXY!!!!!!!!!!!!!