PDA

View Full Version : Losing my costuming confidence

Kendo_Bunny
12-18-2003, 11:23 PM
Well, I wanted to ask some honest opinion, since I'm starting to believe I'm just a really ugly cosplayer. I don't have many picutres of my own (no digital camera or scanner) but I wanted to ask opinions on the few non-OC's I've cosplayed:

Cesia, from Dragon Knights. If you don't recognize this dress, it was on the cover of manga volume 4:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=14121&papass=&sort=1&thecat=571

Me as Tomoe from the Kenshin OAV... with my wig and kimono slipping. They looked better earlier in the day, but by then, the lack of safety pins was showing:
http://www.anna-neko.nu/katsu2k3/Kenshin%20OAV%20girl.jpg

And my favorite costume that I worked so hard on, Dilandau Albatou from Vision of Escaflowne:
http://www.bootyproject.org/images/anime/Ota2003/med/o2k3_49.jpg

For the sign, the first day of Otakon just happened to be Dilly's 23rd birthday.
So... any comments, or should I just give up costuming as anything but OC's?

DeadLegato
12-18-2003, 11:31 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "ugly cosplay." Do you mean you PERSONALLY think you're ugly? Or do you mean you think your costumes are ugly?

I thought the first two were fine, but I notice you have a tendency to use that really hard to work with satin-y fabric. Maybe try using cottons? A well done cotton costume can be just as good as satin. (And sometimes, the satin doesn't fit the character, which is what I noticed about the third costume, it looked just a bit too shiny for the character.)

If you are disappointed by your level of techinical skill (and are refering to that as "ugly") then maybe you should look into sewing classes? Like I said, your techinical skill level looked fine to me, but people tend to see their own errors more than others see their errors.

Hope I didn't offend you or anything, I didn't mean to.

Keute
12-18-2003, 11:43 PM
JUST GIVE UP, YOU SUCK UP THE BUTT!

NO! Omg that was a joke. (probably a bad joke...) You're a beautiful cosplayer! Don't give up just cuz you don't think you look good in your costumes! If you have fun making/cosplaying your costumes then keep on doin' it. No reason to quit just cuz of a brief doubt, right? :jjacks:

Krishna
12-19-2003, 04:38 AM
i would say your sewing skill looks prefectly fine in the first two costume, I would also suggest use cotton.. something that's not shiny.. Other then that just try to have fun at whatever you are doing!! ^^

SaiyenGirl
12-19-2003, 08:06 PM
You gain great honors, with me at least, for cosplaying Cesia. I FINALLY found a Cesia cosplayer!!! My friend crossplayed Rath (got her pic in my gallery), and I've been looking everywhere for a Cesia.
But I digress. I really like your cosplay. It's not bad at all. It's not ugly or anything. I would have to agree though on the use of so much satiny fabric. I'd go with fabrics that are more what the character is actually wearing.
A lot of being noticed as a cosplayer is really a combination of a lot of the right costume, at the right time, at the right place, with the right amount of loudness. I really don't think you should ever give up on it. Like I said, I really like your cosplay, it's awesome. Keep on cosplaying, and btw, I love the wig you used for Cesia. :gushes over Cesia costume: ^-^

projectanime
12-19-2003, 08:39 PM
I'm not sure if you meant that you're like, physically ugly or if you meant your costumes, but either way, both are false. Your costumes are very well done, especially that Cesia! It's very good! And you are NOT ugly at all! ^-^ I mean, if you want to talk ugly, take a look at me O.o I really love all of your costumes, they're well done and I myself haven't seen a Cesia either. Keep it up!

~ProjectAnime~

Krishna
12-19-2003, 09:52 PM
And, of course, it doesn't hurt to smile, ne?! ~_^

Himemiya
12-20-2003, 02:29 AM
You don't smile when you take pictures. You look like you're really unhappy being there. It's COSPLAY! Its supposed to be FUN! Even if you don't think you look good smiling, a cosplayer ALWAYS looks better when they look like they're happy. COSPLAY IS FUN BE HAPPY DARNIT!

Also, please stop using satin, it makes me cry. ^.~

cutekawaii
12-20-2003, 02:27 PM
Are you cosplaying for yourself or others?

PS Satin is evil

~Nikki

Panda_Brat
12-22-2003, 02:21 PM
Just try and hid your hair more behin the wig other that that... OHHHH cue! you are very preaty (probably spelt wron.... soooo sleepy..)

staereo
12-24-2003, 02:13 AM
As has been said, I think you just need to flash a bright smile. Enough people here agree that thats an issue, and I must say, a fairly easy one to resolve. Stand up a little straighter to. A flashy smile and a pseudo-super high confident posture will make a world of difference. Thats the only problem I really see here.

Bruce

Kendo_Bunny
12-26-2003, 10:03 PM
Thanks everyone... I don't sew my own costumes actually, and the main reason I keep on using satin is that it always seems to be on sale when I go out looking for fabric. But now that one of my best friends is working at a fabric store, I can start getting the right stuff.

I'll try to remember to smile, since that seems to be the main piece of advice from everyone... I guess I'm just too used to not really having an expression on my face (that and the fact that my front teeth are crooked, so I'm kind of self-conscious about my smile). But I guess looking happier would get a few more pictures taken, and maybe help me feel a bit more confident. I'm still pretty new to the whole 'relax and have fun' thing, being rather uptight and prone to depression by nature.

Also, my Cesia wig is something I'm proud of, since I dyed the bangs to match hers... which involved that bad smelling spray stuff (stupid hyperactive sense of smell) and a big pink stain on the garage floor. I recently bought a cap to keep all that dark hair out of the way, since I adore my long hair until I try to stuff it under a wig, particularly my Dilandau one.
But again, thank you everyone, and I'm going to redouble my efforts for my Desert Bandit Yamcha costume, which I can hopefully post a picture of soon... and soon I know I can post some of my OC's, which tend to be my best costumes ^^;

Hanyaan
12-31-2003, 01:28 PM
I won't repeat what the other people have said, but I wanted to throw in one more comment:

IRONS ARE YOUR FRIEND!

I used to suffer from the same problem you seem to, which is forgetting to iron a costume before wearing it. But wearing a wrinkled costume is one of the top ways to make a good costume look bad. (The others are not standing up straight, not smiling, and using a bad wig.) Your costumes are wonderful, but they'd be SO much better if you used an iron. And for the record, if you keep using satin, use the iron on a low setting, otherwise you run the risk of melting the satin.

Besa
01-02-2004, 01:48 PM
Woooow your sewing skills are very god! ^.^