PDA

View Full Version : No Artwork in Member Galleries.

pepe171
12-21-2003, 09:04 AM
I know someone probably already posted a thread like this but I had to ask for myself...I was just wondering what the big deal is about putting artwork in the photo galleries.
I don't have too many photos so i wanted to post the artwork my friend had sent me and put it somewhere EVERYONE would find very easily, which would be the photo gallery,then i remembered, thanks to the nice bold red notice before you upload, that artwork wasnt allowed. I just think its kind of obsurd not to be able to put artwork in the photo gallery.
Also, i posted a photo that had artwork in it and it got deleted, which i was okay with becuz that was against the rules and i'm okay in fixing any of my mistakes, but...i've been going through A LOT of people galleries and they have artwork either posted seperately or as a cg and nothing is happening to their stuff.

Admin
12-21-2003, 10:23 AM
Because it's a photo gallery, not an art gallery. And way too many people upload stolen artwork.

As for some galleries having artwork, if you click on the "report this photo" link we get an email stating that the image is breaking the rules and we can take it down. We've gotten rid of most of the artwork that used to be in the galleries but once in a while stuff gets by us, so we rely on people reporting these images as they come across them.

pepe171
12-21-2003, 04:36 PM
When you report a photo is there anyway the person you report can figure out who reported it?

pepe171
12-21-2003, 04:40 PM
Also. I dont know if there already is one because i am fairly new to the site, but is there an art gallery or can you only post them in the art forum? And if not then is it anywhere on your "to do list"?

Karisu-sama
12-21-2003, 07:12 PM
Only the mods can see who reports, and the only place we have for art is the Member Artwork Forum. This was not created to be an art gallery site, it's a cosplay site. There are plenty of art gallery sites on the web for that purpose already.

Yumeko
12-21-2003, 08:17 PM
I would suggest getting a Deviant Art account, but sadly people steal art from there too. The best suggestion if you want to share your art is to set up a simple website type gallery for your art

pepe171
12-21-2003, 08:31 PM
Ok now that ive got a better understanding of why it is wrong. Can you give me the parameters? I mean what exactly classifies as "art" anything animated? or are there certain boundaries we are allowed to cross? One good example would be the banner attachment in my signature(which i could use some help in getting it to work as no link) Im very sorry if i am being annoying in asking so many things but i do not like to break the rules and this is the only way i can figure things out...well.

Karisu-sama
12-21-2003, 09:20 PM
Art = any drawing (including costume concepts) or CG image, from your own (fanart or original) up to screen scans of copyrighted anime / game imagery. A photo with some of your own CG work (ie: giving your hands a "real fireball" to hold) might be acceptable, assuming the CG is not something like purloined game backgrounds & assuming the piece is still basically a photo and the "photo" part is the majority of the content. If we find it questionable, it will most likely be deleted.

It is possible to have artwork in a banner, but that banner cannot then be hosted on Cosplay.com; it must live elsewhere. (Your banner attachment above must live elsewhere.)

Admin
12-21-2003, 09:54 PM
Karisu is correct, we do allow for things like using photoshop to add an effect or some text onto an image, but we don't allow the incorporation of actual artwork into a CG.

Gren
12-21-2003, 10:33 PM
So it's not permissible to put in a new background unless it is a blank panel of color (Like putting yourself on white) or a photograph that does not infringe on other's copyrights, correct?

Admin
12-22-2003, 12:07 AM
It's all subjective. Graphics-art style stuff in a CG is fine, but incorporating artwork is not. If you add a bunch of lines and boxes and styles and effects and stuff in a CG we don't care, but if you incorporate any artwork (semantics aside) into your CG, it'll fall under the artwork category and will be deleted. Not because we don't like it, but because that's the only place we can really draw the line.

Gren
12-22-2003, 12:33 AM
Are basic background permissible so long as the costume is clearly the focus of the image? Or is that treking into the realm of things that need to be looked at case by case to see what's alright and what's going too far?

Devil Asuka 666
12-24-2003, 02:37 PM
*thinks she's gonna be crucified after this question*

so, basically:

- we can take a photo in a special pose and, for example, but someone huged to a CG character (or an anime one), or change backgrounds like dress spheres', for example.

- we cannot post images that are drawings, for example, and CGs.
but we can, for example, still mix in an image a drawing with a cosplay, right?

DigitalCactus
12-29-2003, 03:36 PM
yes basically photoshoping a lightsabre effect is ok, because its mostly a photo. something like this isnt acceptable

http://www.kitoutpost.com/digitalcactus/EU_BG.JPG

yuffieleonheart
12-29-2003, 05:57 PM
I think what admin means is that one can take a photo and add special effects :: flames. ice. lighting . text. etc :: aslong it is within the original photo or with un copyrighted photos. in other words. you can take a picture of you cosplaying and add a background that you have made. you cannot take a picture of you cosplaying and add a background from an anime/videogame/manga etc because that is copyrighted material. o_o; i hope i worded that correctly

Mizuho
12-29-2003, 06:38 PM
Digital Cactus...

http://www.kitoutpost.com/digitalcactus/EU_BG.JPG

XD XD

Maryssa
01-02-2004, 10:09 AM
but we can, for example, still mix in an image a drawing with a cosplay, right?
No. You cannot use any drawings or copyrighted character images in your CG. I'm not sure if a videogame background counts for this, you'd have to ask Admin.

Admin
01-02-2004, 10:31 AM
Videogame backgrounds are not allowed either.

Lickquid_Zixxx
01-02-2004, 11:10 AM
Kinda related: is there a place for poetry/lyrics to be posted, or will people steal those (though it's all copywritten, righted, whatever)?

Admin
01-02-2004, 11:29 AM
For lyrics I suppose you could put them in the music chat forum. Otherwise we don't really have a poetry/lyrics forum cause we really haven't had anyone asking for one. If there are a lot of people wanting one then we can maybe expand the artwork forum to include any type of art.

Flippy
01-04-2004, 10:23 PM
Just have a link to your website and say if you want to see my art work then click here.

Maryssa
01-05-2004, 01:07 AM
On that note, Flippy, please shrink your sig. It should not exceed the height of 8 lines of text (thats including pictures)

RyanW
01-26-2004, 03:14 AM
I strongly agree with the slightly exaggerated copywrite infringement laws, moreso because I get tired of pissy internet fights over who stole whose sketch fanart of vincent and a chicken. I really don't understand why anyone cares about putting their fan-art here, like someone else said, go get a website and host it yourself. This isn't fancells.com.

But I do have a concern that hasn't been voiced in this thread. It's bugged me for a while, so here goes the short version:

Cosplay is a hobby that prides itself on accuracy in replicating the garment or otherwise design of a fictional character. There's a lot of sources for costumes out there, and so who's to say if someone makes a purple inuyasha that it's right or wrong, if they have no reference to go by? Barring artwork for copyright issues is fair enough, but U.S. copyright laws also have a fair use clause, not to mention a parody clause that specifically protects persons using registered work in a parody, which is pretty much what cosplay is.

To sum up, this is a fan-site. Fans post pictures of their costumes, which are made not for profit, but for personal enjoyment, which is protected under the constitution. Turning the forums into an art gallery would definately be a step down from their sharply focused purpose now. But with the same methods used to remove all art from galleries, a new policy allowing clean comparison pictures could easily be implemented. Allowing comparison pictures and disallowing fan-art or unrelated artwork is as easy as allowing cosplay photos but disallowing unrelated photographs of daily life.

Maybe there's a stronger motive, or you've been threatened and I'm unaware. But if you're just banning art out of fear of infringement, please rethink and consider the loss cosplayers suffer at not being able to accurately determine whether a costume has even captured the basic essence of the designs.

Admin
01-26-2004, 03:55 AM
It's a non-starter as I've already gone over this with my lawyers, one of which is a prominent intellectual property attorney. To the point, "fair use" is ultimately decided by a judge and jury, not by the casual user. Fair use is also a very abused term on the internet, but that's another discussion for another day.

Either way, I can assure you any decisions like this are not made hastily. While it may be easy for a fan site or a personal page to fly under the radar, Cosplay.com is fast becoming a major internet property in its broader area of public interests, and with that comes the need to assess every potential liability. As there is no way I can police the artwork that is uploaded onto the site, my decision is to not allow it in full, and this decision is agreed upon wholeheartedly by those who advise me in my own legal affairs.

RyanW
01-26-2004, 05:36 PM
Okay, well it was worth a try. :D

We pride ourselves on absolute accuracy, so we will always push for allowing comparison shots, but we also appreciate your position and the legal standpoint you're taking. I hope in the future, we can find a way to show the original reference alongside the costumes without putting your site at risk.

pepe171
01-26-2004, 05:36 PM
now that you say it like that I full well understand why we cant do it...you should have said that in the first place.

Hanyaan
01-26-2004, 08:03 PM
Can we post links to a reference picture in the description part of the photo or as a comment? XD So the art isn't hosted on Cosplay.com, it's just a link to artwork on a different site...

Yuna
01-28-2004, 10:29 AM
To sum up, this is a fan-site. Fans post pictures of their costumes, which are made not for profit, but for personal enjoyment, which is protected under the constitution.

Ryan, by going form that statement, all commision sites and the latter are breaking the law and illegal. Be careful how you word things, because we all know that commision work is the purchasing of someone's time, not the character they're making.

Also, you should all know that copywritten LOGOS are against Cosplay.com policy as well. It's undefined if a recreation of a logo through fancy fonts in photoshop is allowed or not. But taking, for example, a Final Fantasy logo from any game and sticking it on your pictures is no longer allowed. This goes for any and all copywritten logos, be it Lord of the Rings or Pokemon.

-edit-
Can we post links to a reference picture in the description part of the photo or as a comment? XD So the art isn't hosted on Cosplay.com, it's just a link to artwork on a different site...

As long as the picture linked is not copywritten. If it's a conception scetch YOU drew of the character, then yes, however, soliciting your art in the description is against the rules. I.E. "For more of my art go here!" or "For more art and pictures, go to my site!", however that is another can of worms.

Gren
02-04-2004, 09:20 PM
The art peice that I used for my signature recently got yanked from my gallery, and I really don't have any place else to host it. Does the policy stretch to things used specifically for signatures as well? It was a small game sprite-like pixel graphic of my currently completed cosplays.

Maryssa
02-04-2004, 11:05 PM
In general we dont allow anyone to post their sig banners or avatars in their galleries, whether or not it was art you did yourself. Sorry.

Ashe
02-06-2004, 08:20 PM
I think Karisu already answered this , but to double check, concept sketches for original costumes are a no?

FlowersInMidgar
02-14-2004, 12:25 AM
I can understand this rule, I'm an artist and, would like to share my art with all you guys here but, this IS a 'cosplay' site, not an 'artwork' site so it makes sense. I imagine those galleries take up quite a bit of room as well thus:

Filling up my cosplaying gallery with my sketches of Cait Sith fighting Aunt May with the Infinity Gauntlet and; photos of me eating a Gyro on my trip to scenic Waynesport or; poloroids of my cat 'Mittens' taking a leak on my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to draw a circle on an Etch-E-Sketch at best, a waste of valuable real estate.

Well I guess that's what the MEMBERS ARTWORK SECTION is for! ;)

Admin
02-14-2004, 01:33 AM
I think Karisu already answered this , but to double check, concept sketches for original costumes are a no?
Yeah, the only way we can even begin to police this is to just not allow any artwork at all, otherwise we'd have to make up too many specific rules for exceptions. :\

Ginryuu
11-10-2008, 03:22 AM
Um...sorry if I'm reviving a thread or anything, but I need to know and pm-ing people doesn't really work well. would something like my forum avatar be too much art for a photo submition? It has a great angle on my cosplay and is one of two good shots I have of it. But I would feel silly posting a picture of me holding a ferrit.

ZiggyB
11-10-2008, 05:42 PM
There's no artwork in the photo and you're in costume, so there's no reason why not.

Ginryuu
11-13-2008, 04:51 PM
I thought that creating a dragon would be considered artwork. Thank you!

KittyCanuck
11-13-2008, 07:18 PM
I thought that creating a dragon would be considered artwork. Thank you!

Dragon? I see you holding a cute fuzzy ferret (or some small white animal). ^_^

Ginryuu
11-13-2008, 07:31 PM
Well, it originally was a ferret. I found some stock photos and did a photo manipulation to turn him into a white winged dragon.

The full picture is here if you want to see what I mean:
http://ginriru-tatsu.deviantart.com/art/Hakkai-and-Hakuryuu-102982419

Michi
11-14-2008, 04:25 PM
Yeah, I don't think ZiggyB quite realized what it was. I think that's sort of bending the rules of no artwork, since it's technically artwork put into your photo. I think Admin may have to make the final call on that one.

Though I have to wonder why you didn't just make a new thread instead of bringing one up from 2004. :thumbsup: We wouldn't've minded a new one!

Ginryuu
11-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I don't think ZiggyB quite realized what it was. I think that's sort of bending the rules of no artwork, since it's technically artwork put into your photo. I think Admin may have to make the final call on that one.

Well, I've been trying to contact Admin about artwork since I joined and still haven't gotten a reply. I'll keep on waiting since I don't like being a pest.

Though I have to wonder why you didn't just make a new thread instead of bringing one up from 2004. :thumbsup: We wouldn't've minded a new one!

I find that the more threads there are, the harder it is to find what you're looking for. I like to try to find answers myself before asking questions, and it took me hours to narrow it down to this thread, which was the only one with useful information. It's the same thing with cosplay advice threads too. Everybody starts their own thread with the same question and then we wind up with multiple threads dealing with the same issue and only a tidbit of useful information in each. Since this thread already addresses the topic of artwork, I didn't feel the need to create a new thread on the same subject. That, and I've noticed a tendency for newer things to get lost rather quickly in the multitude of the more popular. If it would be easier though, I can start a new thread next time.:toothy: