PDA

View Full Version : Soo... tell me about AWA...!

Flowery
12-21-2003, 09:27 AM

Toastersix
12-21-2003, 10:06 AM
ohohoho! AWA was the 1st convention I ever went to. It was SOOO much fun. Despite alot of people disliking AWA, it is alot of fun if you can't travel to other cons as much as you'd like to. What's it like, eh? Well, it's kinda hard to describe... It really depends.. Some people go in a cosplay group and walk around(which is SOO much fun) and some people don't wear costumes and just hit all of the panels. I, personally, suggest going as a well-known character from an anime show. (like I went as Ran-Chan to AWA-9.... and a cosplay group spontaneously formed in the Dealer's Room) And then there's the 24-hr game room.(that they SHUT DOWN on Friday...but then opened in the morning.) Most of the con-goers to AWA are soo much fun. I remember standing on the bottom floor waiting for the game rooms to open back up... and I randomly met these 3 people doing the same thing.. so we stood out there talking for like 4 hours. It's just soo much fun! Let me know if you go! I'll say hi! ^_^

RobTheStampede
12-21-2003, 10:31 AM
yeah AWA was fun this was my first year and would like to add the staff where assholes
any way where do ya live there is convention in Alabama called persacon it is in Madison,Alabama and if ya like to know more about it go here www.persacon.com ^_^

Flowery
12-21-2003, 10:31 AM

RobTheStampede
12-21-2003, 10:37 AM
hmm i dont remember ya might wanna ask the person who started the con she is a member here her name is suthrnbellechan ^_^

Flowery
12-21-2003, 10:46 AM

Hikaruchan
12-21-2003, 02:02 PM
Yes, depending on where you live there is Persacon in Alabama and MTAC in Tennessee.

When I go to AWA, it is mainly just to see the costumes. AWA is much larger than the two cons above. But I have had too many rude staff experiences to enjoy going. AWA has a fashion show instead of a contest (no skits), which is fine to me but some people want skits. A lot of the guests and panels are the same each year, so see them once.

Flowery
12-21-2003, 02:40 PM

Hikaruchan
12-21-2003, 11:42 PM
That question is answered quite a bit in AWA9 thread http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=10684&page=20&pp=15

To sum up: a lot of people who go to AWA first like it, but if gone to other cons a lot of people see things that could be majorly improved. My problems with staff: a lot have a take it or leave it attitude or you get the feeling you are invading their party (no matter you paid to get in), been intentional lied to several times, been yelled at, gotten sarcastic comments from staff when giving requested feedback on their forum, way overzealous/powertripping security (swinging bokkens and the like)

I have a few friends on staff there, but the bad apples among the mid-level staff and minions kind of put me and a lot of my friends off of the con.

scandia
12-22-2003, 07:09 AM
I like AWA quite a bit. Out of all the conventions I go to every year, I have to say that AWA is probably objectively the best one. It has the best panels (and the most variety- FL needs to add a few topics), the biggest dealer's room with the best dealers, and overall a lot of great things to do. I did not enter the costume contest this year, and my first year going I avoided the crowds, but last year I did enter. Other than the lack of water, it was all right, and they fixed the problem this year by having water stations everywhere. Plus the CLAMP ball this year was wonderful. Staff was very supportive and I have never been given a hard time there. Overall, I have a lot of fun at AWA. I recommend it.

SuthrnBelleChan
12-22-2003, 02:27 PM
Hi it's me! We had about 300 people last year but here should be a lot more this year. Prices are cheap so register now! It'll be laods of fun we have a lot of stuff planned and a buncha cool guests

Flowery
12-29-2003, 09:39 AM