PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy X - Lulu

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Marianne
11-02-2002, 12:09 PM
Hello...I finished my costume (for the most part) in time for Halloween! Yay! Pictures are on my gallery page...these were using a digital camera...I'll probably have better pictures up soon when I develop my film. Thanks to Yaya for making my jewelry and hairpieces! (http://www.angelicstar.net/cosplay/lulu.html)

KuroBara
11-02-2002, 12:11 PM
That looks pretty good, nice job!

ReiChan
11-02-2002, 01:28 PM
Hey, that's a nice one (Lulu costume, that is).

Aww, it's UCSD. I kind of miss that place. I went there last year as an extension student during my year away from my school.

Mei Lan Chang
11-02-2002, 05:36 PM
Yes indeedy, Ya Ya is quite well known for her excellent accomplishments in costumeing.

TyJILDown
11-03-2002, 07:59 PM
That's aweosme that Yaya made the stuff for ya. I was ready to e-mail herself after having a shitfit over the hairsticks...

Did a good job, the mog looks great! ^^ *wishes she made her own mog instead of buying the official one*

Alaria
11-05-2002, 09:42 PM
lovely job! :) I like the personal touches u added like on the back of the skirt. Very pretty

HuongStar
11-06-2002, 01:58 PM
Haha, this is funny because it's like the third or fourth "Lulu" user icon in this thread! ^_^;;

Anyway, Alaria! I saw your costume in on the Fansview AX pictures and I looooooved your Lulu! It was so perfect! ;_; I wished mine would have turned out that well but I couldn't get my skirt to drape as well as yours.

Gothic_Lulu
11-06-2002, 06:34 PM
It's so pretty ^^! I hope mine will come out alright.....yours is one of the best ones I have seen.......I give a lot of credit to anyone that can make this costume.....

HuongStar, Alaria, TyJILDown - I really like yours too! You all add nice personal touches that made each one unique!!

-Gothic Lulu

:devil:

Nine
11-06-2002, 07:44 PM
I love that Lulu costume sooo much! I went to that site during the summer while I was thinking to make my Lulu costume... I love the personal details that was put into that costume... It's fabulous!

With my Lulu costume, I love it so much, but it doesn't fit me anymore. Plus, I know that I can do a better job, and I want to use pleather and have an actual bustier... so I'm making another one ^^;

Alaria
11-06-2002, 08:43 PM
::::bows to huongstar and gothic lulu::: thanx, both of u! Huong, I used a hoop underneath my skirt to get it to drape, if that's what u mean....but I'd love to see both of ur lulus!! I love lulu cosplayers :)
....Kuro, is ur avatar The Last Unicorn??

Nine
11-07-2002, 12:36 AM
Alaria - I contacted you over cosplaylab's email thingy commenting on your lulu costume! ^^ You did such a great job!

Everyone here have made really beautiful Lulu costumes ^;^

Alaria
11-07-2002, 01:32 AM
ara, then me e-mail is not working then...:confused: oh dears....
thank u very much, nine-san. I saw u on cosplay lab too, and I thought it was kewl that u were doing lulu! Will u be at expo?

Nine
11-07-2002, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Alaria

thank u very much, nine-san. I saw u on cosplay lab too, and I thought it was kewl that u were doing lulu! Will u be at expo?

Oh, I wish I could make it to anime expo! *crosses fingers* ^^;

Alaria
11-07-2002, 05:26 PM
ara, which cons do u usually go to?

Something Lulu
11-12-2002, 12:52 AM
Marianne, your costume looks great. I love the lace on the skirt and sleeves. It's really beautiful.

Alaria, I met you at AX'02. You're a friend of my cousin Stephanie. I actually have a pic of us both as Lulu lol.

Props to all the Lulu cosplayers out there! It's such a difficult costume, but all the ones I've seen have had a lot of effort put into them and look great. :)

Alaria
11-12-2002, 03:36 AM
cousin stephanie.....are u Tara's cousin?

Something Lulu
11-13-2002, 10:16 PM
Whoops, yeah. Although I am Stephanie's cousin, too. :p But I met you when I was with Tara. Actually, their mom is my mom's cousin, but we all just say cousin. :) We had been looking for you that day. Here's a pic of us:

Something Lulu
11-13-2002, 10:26 PM
Grrrr!! This thing is getting all weird on me. >_< And I was just told over the phone that the pic is on my cosplay group's website, so here's the link:
http://satokasunoai.crosswinds.net/ax02/saturday18.html
(I look so pissed in this picture lol. That was my day of no-belts because we got up at 3am to wait in line for Masquerade tickets.)

Alaria
11-13-2002, 11:47 PM
don't worry, u look great! :::falls over laughing:::: my bangs look so square, because I hadn't had time to spray them, and my sis was stepping all over my skirt, ripping off my lace and breaking my belts and hoop...

Bell-chan
11-13-2002, 11:55 PM
don't worry, u look great! :::falls over laughing:::: my bangs look so square, because I hadn't had time to spray them, and my sis was stepping all over my skirt, ripping off my lace and breaking my belts and hoop...

Oh! Alaria! I saw you at the registration in the Westin, I believe, at Anime Expo this year. ^__^ I was the Rinoa with my friend as Miaka that bugged you and your sis for a pic (oooh that's specific..) But anyway, I thought and still think you are one of the most accurate Lulus I've seen!

Alaria
11-14-2002, 12:06 AM
:::bows and turns red::: thank you very much Bell-chan. Perhaps if u send me a pic I'll remember? Accurate, mebbe, but nonetheless it was patched together and wasn't able to withstand my sister's excitement of being at her first con ^_^. Also, to my own shame and guilt, I didn't get to finish her Rikku costume, so it came off very, very budge. I've promised to perfect my costume as well as hers

tamahomegurl
11-14-2002, 12:26 AM
WOW!!! *whistles* i must say that both your lulu costumes kick much ass!!! i am sooo looking forward to seeing you all of you guys at ax03!!!

*beams at alaria* don't worry, alaria!! your outfit was sooooo perfect!! i don't think people would have noticed any belts missing!! ^__^ and you're right!! YOUR SISTER IS SOOOO KAWAII!!!! yay for alaria's sister too!!! woot woot!!!

Something Lulu
11-14-2002, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by tamahomegurl
WOW!!! *whistles* i must say that both your lulu costumes kick much ass!!! i am sooo looking forward to seeing you all of you guys at ax03!!!

Thanks! lol I had given up on the skirt by that point.

Alaria, I remember your sister there. lol She *did* seem excited, but I can't blame her. :) It's so cool that you guys cosplayed together as a group. Maybe I should turn my brother into a little Tidus or Wakka for AXNY next year lol.

Alaria
11-14-2002, 01:41 AM
tamahomegurl > hee, thanx, I'll tell her. I luv my sis :) I'm looking forward to seeing u and ur sis at AX!

Lulu > u lent me ur moogle doll for the pic! 'cause I forgot mine at home. Much thanx for that :) I couldn't blame my sis either, it was cute to see her so excited. Will u be coming to AX here next year?

Something Lulu
11-14-2002, 11:36 AM
LOL Yup, my poor Moogle. (It's been through so much after going to 2 cons with a bunch of guys.) The day before some guy on the street just handed me a Cactuar plushie, so I had both. It was probably one of the nicest things to happen to me at a con. And yes, I will be at AX'03. And Comic Con, too! :D

Alaria
11-14-2002, 02:02 PM
woohoo!! yaay random acts of kindness and con hopping :)

TyJILDown
11-14-2002, 04:54 PM
my bangs look so square, because I hadn't had time to spray them, and my sis was stepping all over my skirt, ripping off my lace and breaking my belts and hoop...

Gah you're not the only one!!

My hair got all messed up during the train ride and walking through NYC to the hotel both days I wore the costume. *Got LOTS of stares wearing those hairsticks around* I had to carry my costume in a black hefty bag!! That's what I get for commuting instead of getting a room..

My skirt was also ruined by people stepping on it...a tear by the leg opening, 2 small tears by the bottom of the belt section & all the glitter I handpainted came off the lace on the train. I still have to patch this all up.

That's what I get for making a 2 foot train...

Something Lulu
11-15-2002, 03:20 AM
LOL The trials of being Lulu! My skirt only made it through one day at AX. By the end of the Meet the Guests Reception I couldn't even wear it back to the hotel and I had to take the belt portion off in the bathroom of another hotel. I must have looked so ridiculous walking around in sneakers with my belts slung over my arm, but after having the edge of a loose belt chafing my leg all day I was not about to care. I'm just glad I attached the belts to a separate skirt! That's also how I ended up in pants the next day. Comic Con was a lot better, but the costume needs some serious repair.

Subways...yeesh. One of the many reasons I decided not to cosplay at AXNY. Jil, you are truly brave.

HuongStar
11-15-2002, 10:34 AM
Oh man, when it was time for our skit at Otakon, my hairsticks caught the stage curtains and something ripped off of my head. Our cue was rushed so I wasn't able to turn around and see what happened. I was freaking out the whole skit because I thought my fake braided bun & braids fell out so I felt so stupid!

I missed my cue too! >_<

That Lulu dress. *sigh* Sadly, so much work went into it and I've only worn it once for three hours at Otakon masquerade. ;_;

Something Lulu
11-15-2002, 01:14 PM
Those darn hairsticks! Stupid me got real little bells for the red one and they jingle in my ear non-stop! I wore the complete Lulu costume twice (at AX and SDCC) and I wore it from the waist up for most of a day at AX (after the belts died a tragic death and I didn't have enough gaffer's tape to revive them).

Alaria
11-15-2002, 06:37 PM
lol, this is why these characters are not real, neh? I can only imagine Lulu in real life going through all the trials and random encounters of FFX. Every 2 secs "uh,hold on a sec guys, one of my belts fell off." Plus, she'd be walking far slower than anyone else.....hmmm, mebbe her dolls are actually carrying her...that's why her legs seem so long....
yesh, I used real bells for my hairstick too, but I poured glue into the inside so they didn't jingle anymore...but I made the leafy extensions of that one out of clay, and they snapped because my mom stuffed them in a random drawer....
I used a separate skirt for the belts too....this time, I'm going to glue them down with fabric glue AND epoxy to make sure they stay

Something Lulu
11-15-2002, 07:36 PM
LOL I used to talk about that with my cousin! "How the heck does Lulu freaking walk in this, let alone fight? That crazy girl..." One of our theories is that she doesn't actually *have* legs, aside from that bit of thigh that shows through. Apparently there's a part where they fall and there's just a black void under her skirt lol.

That's a good idea for the bells! I had to make the hairsticks in a hurry and I actually left some of the pieces for one of them in NY! They were okay for a rush job, but I need to find a better way to attach the dangly bits. As for my skirt...ack. >_< I'm trying to think of a way I can make a framework for the belts so it's just one big piece where each is attached *securely* but it will bend and not smack my legs. I've got one idea but I haven't tried to execute it yet...we'll see how it goes!

Alaria
11-15-2002, 08:19 PM
yesh, my friend says epoxy glue is great for stuff like that because it clings and its still flexible. He's used it to make armour before, and it works wonderfully from what I've seen

Bell-chan
11-19-2002, 03:56 AM
:::bows and turns red::: thank you very much Bell-chan. Perhaps if u send me a pic I'll remember?
Umm @_@ oops sorry I took so long to respond to this. I'll try to send a pic once my scanner decides to work...or it knows it's gonna get replaced.....

TyJILDown
11-19-2002, 04:48 PM
I wish I wore sneakers for my costume, I wore 3 inch heels that were almost exactly what Lulu wore but I bought them ina mtallic silver/black shade so it would match the trim of my corset X_x SO much pain wearing them for 12+ hours each day 2 days in a row!!

My skirt is still in great shape when it comes to the belts. I used denim fabric over the open section then drapped the belts over it, reinforcing it with hot glue and sewing the belts at each side.

My hairsticks, gawd! I consulted a girl online I knowwho is EXTEMELY crafty who helped me out with some layout plans and possibilites, as well as finding me a few beads at her local bead store! One of them out of sterling silver thick sheeting, another is heavy gauge wire, the other 2 are wooden hairsticks. They required a bit of materials including sheet metal, clay, metal wire, bells, beads & more O_O Then painting everything and trying to position them to dry without them getting smudged ugh!! NEVER again!

Here's a crappy picture of the hairsticks I wore. (http://members.aol.com/tyjildown/sticks2.JPG)
The Admin here at cosplay.com even took closeups of my hair and all and posted them on the site, he thought the hairsticks were perfect and the way I did my hair with only braid extensions with my own hair was the best he ever saw, which I have to disagree with my HORRID thin hair!

Alaria
11-19-2002, 06:43 PM
That's awesome. Ty! Lol, how long did it take to get your hair done? Did u do it urself? I remember it took me 6 hours for those cornrows and extensions, but they were funnnnn!

Something Lulu: I love ur new avatar! I did Tifa too...hmm, I wonder if that's a trend among lulus. Any other lulu ever cosplay as Tifa?

TyJILDown
11-19-2002, 06:55 PM
Me, I'm not busty enough or daring enough to do Tifa...I may stick with crossplay after I do Sivil ^^

My hair was done by me and my mom, she went to beauty school but even with my thin hair it was hard to pull off! It didn't come down at all even after having to walk in the rain, just got a lil' frizzy ^^ I didn't do the cornrows because I really don't like going to hair salons and my moms refused to do them for me X_x

So as for my hair, we made a part in the front for the bangs, then we took what hair we could and made a bun and reinforced it with hair ties, barbie pins etc. We took the 4 braid extensions I made out of Jumbo braid and wrapped it around the bun and reinforced those with tuns of barbie pins, but you wouldn't even see them ^^ Thank goodness I had my Lulu statue there to use as a guide while doing this all around 7am X_x It took around 30 minutes to do it. The hardest part was shoving those hairsticks in and trying to position them properly! The first day it wasn't done right but the second day it looks better ^^;;

*shuts her big mouth*

Something Lulu
11-19-2002, 10:09 PM
Since I was doing other costumes, I couldn't get my hair done in cornrows, so I just got it straightened. I was planning on doing it back in twists, but that didn't work, so I had my cousin's mom do small braids coming from the front of my hair going back into a braid that I twisted into a bun. Then I used the back of my hair to do the braids. I left some hair loose in the front to be "bangs." I guess I'm lucky my hair is long enough that I can do this style with my own hair. @_@

My hairsticks and jewelry are the result of one rushed trip to this amazing bead place in Manhattan, and an afternoon spent with my boyfriend painting and gluing. Then I visited him at his school's architecture studio and sat there sanding and cutting sticks of wood to make some of the pins from scratch. That was an experience! I didn't really have good pictures to work from for this costume so there's a lot of things I need to do over.
Jil, I love how your red hairstick looks! That one caused me so much stress lol. What did you use for the gold stick on the blue one? It looks great.

I actually have worn sneakers under my Lulu costume. lol You can't see her feet anyway, so... besides, that costume is so traumatic, I figure my feet might as well be comfortable. I wore my Adidas shelltops at AX and some short flat boots at Comic Con. And for pictures I just bend my knees a little lol.

Some funny pics:
My sneakers: (doing the Cactuar!)
http://satokasunoai.crosswinds.net/ax02/saturday14.html
My hair @ AX: (it was a lot better at CC):
http://satokasunoai.crosswinds.net/ax02/ksat2.html
http://satokasunoai.crosswinds.net/ax02/ksat11.html
Doing the Cactuar at CC: (you can see my boots here)
http://satokasunoai.crosswinds.net/cc02/saturday57.html
>This pic is just funny. Eurobeat King suggested we do this pose:
http://www.silent-voice.net/hahafunny.jpg

wow I wrote a lot. @_@ Sorry!!

Something Lulu
11-19-2002, 10:10 PM
Oh yeah! Alaria, do you have any pics of your Tifa costume! (Gosh after all that how could I forget something?)

TyJILDown
11-19-2002, 10:53 PM
lol Seems all Lulu's have had all hell with the damn hairsticks, some people don't put effort into them which dissapoints me. As for the blue & gold one, that was made out of shaped heavy gauge wire, then drilled a hole in a large blue bead and stuck it on top and glued it in place, covering the top with a gold metal doilie thingy. The wire was silver but it was painted over and glossed ^^ The red one was a pain in the but, I really don't know how it was pulled off in the end

And wow, Lulu looks great with Adidas hah! I like the way the pants look with it ^^

Everyone's costumes are so great, can't wait to see new creations from ya guys!

Alaria
11-20-2002, 02:27 AM
Lol, Something Lulu, I actually don't....which scares me seeing as I was accosted with pictures by way too many people in that outfit O_o Anyhoo, I can pull it out of my costume trunk and take pics in it, which I intended on doing at some point anyways :)
In terms of Lulu's shoes, I got thigh high boots at clearance sale...cheap, but good quality, and surpringly comfy. It was good in two ways: climbing those stairs at AX, I had to hike my skirt up, and if the belts happened to slip, the top of my boot looked like another belt! ^__^

Something Lulu
11-20-2002, 02:27 AM
Wow, you really went through a lot for those accessories! What other costumes do you have/are planning?

Alaria
11-20-2002, 02:32 AM
lol, check my bio, too many to list at the moment :) But add Miang and/or Tolone from Xenogears to that

Something Lulu
11-20-2002, 02:33 AM
Yes, Tifa is quite a popular costume... @_@ You should try looking around other websites for pics of yourself. That's how I found a lot of pics of myself from AX, cuz I didn't get too many on my camera. I hardly have any of me as Skuld. It was my first experience seriously cosplaying and I was in awe of all the other costumes I saw. :)

I figured shoes didn't matter since you couldn't see them through my skirt anyway. Although after I reinforced the skirt for CC it was a little higher and I had to bend my knees a lot to cover the boots. lol That was a little annoying, but I didn't really have time to fix it up. I've promised myself I'll come up with some genius design for next year, tho lol.

TyJILDown
11-20-2002, 01:43 PM
Stupid me designed my Lulu costume so that it would ONLY fit perfectly lengthwise with the heels I bought to wear so I had no options. I didn't want to wear other shoes because the skirt would be too long but atleast I got compliments on my shoes when the showed while lifting my skirt to step over stairs ^^

I have a few lined up which should get me through the next year 1/2...*copy & pastes*

Sivil of Macross 7, Kiros of FF8, Cloud of FF7 (Wallmarket outfit), Marth of Fire Emblem, Bart of Xenogears, Allen of Escaflowne, Mako of Initial D

They'll probably be done in that order as well.

What do you have lined up Something_Lulu?

Something Lulu
11-20-2002, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by TyJILDown
What do you have lined up Something_Lulu?

Way too many things. @_@ Faye from Cowboy Bebop and Dita from Chobits are the two most important ones right now. But I'm also planning Momo from Peach Girl, Miwako from Paradise Kiss(most likely, since I don't know how I would do Yukari), and depending on how the pics turn out, Pain from FFX-2. All my planned stuff with pictures can be found here:
http://www.cosplaylab.com/cosplayers/planned.asp?memberid=1708

Peppermintstix
11-22-2002, 08:12 PM
I'll be making a lulu costume for my sister as my first cosplaying attempt. I'm also doing a edea costume for my twin and an Anthy for myself. Wish me luck ^_^

Alaria
11-23-2002, 04:17 AM
Ahhh good luck! I'm doing an Edea too, so we can help each other too, if u'd like :)

Peppermintstix
11-24-2002, 05:49 PM
Hey! I'd love all the help I can get. I find that when you doing stuff like this the more creative minds that get together, the better.

Edit: What fabric did you guys use for your lulu costumes. I was planning on using a spandex back pleather but I'm having the damndest time finding it in black.

Alaria
11-25-2002, 03:32 AM
ummm, I used a liteweight dark grey pleather; spandex black pleather I have seen alot more of, and usually should be easier to get a hold of...

Something Lulu
11-25-2002, 10:16 AM
I used...darnit, I can't remember now. But it wasn't anything special. I'm going to redo the skirts and sleeves though, so I guess it doesn't matter lol.

Good luck on your Edea costumes! I can't wait to see those. ^_^

Peppermintstix
11-25-2002, 01:26 PM
Oh I'm thinking of using this ombre fleece for the edea costume! it has a soft fade from black to white so i think it's perfect! They also have it at my store so that means employee discount!

Alaria
11-25-2002, 02:56 PM
oh, that's cool! :) I found this neat dress on Ebay that I'll alter the neckline and add the white pattern on the bottom of the skirt as well as wiring to keep the train of it around. But its a nice strechy material that clings nicely

Peppermintstix
11-25-2002, 03:03 PM
I'm thinking of doing resin cast for the hair ornaments and her mask. are you going to do her mask as well?

Alaria
11-25-2002, 03:07 PM
I dunno yet, and I haven't figured how to do the ornaments yet ^__^ How do u do a resin cast? At the moment I'm working on the logistics of the intricate metal fan on her back. I'm not sure whether I want to actually weld metal, or cut it from a sheet of balsa wood or foam for a more seamless look

Something Lulu
11-25-2002, 03:10 PM
Wow, good luck with that fan. Seems like that would be the hardest part of the costume. Alaria, this costume just might be the one to make Lulu look easy! ^_~

Alaria
11-25-2002, 03:13 PM
lol, I dunno about that; once the fan and hair ornaments are done, they prob won't be apt to fall apart like those belts :)

Something Lulu
11-25-2002, 03:16 PM
True true...

Question: about how much on average does black pleather cost per yard? (If anyone knows/remembers lol)

Alaria
11-25-2002, 03:35 PM
mmm, thicker stuff I saw for about 8.50, mine was higher quality, so 16. But in garment districts they're prob cheaper :)

TyJILDown
11-25-2002, 09:34 PM
My pleather was $8.99 a yard and it wasn't even good quality, the top coat of it rubbed off from friction! *cries*

Alaria
11-25-2002, 10:32 PM
:::comforts tyjildown:::: iz ok!! I bought 4 yards of the wrong color pleather at first...

Peppermintstix
11-26-2002, 01:52 AM
I dunno yet, and I haven't figured how to do the ornaments yet ^__^ How do u do a resin cast? At the moment I'm working on the logistics of the intricate metal fan on her back. I'm not sure whether I want to actually weld metal, or cut it from a sheet of balsa wood or foam for a more seamless look

Well I was going to take a wood carving class at first but then i decided on resin cast. that way I would have a greater amount of control on how intricate I made the ornaments. I'm going to use doll rods for her back ornamants and do resin cast for the decorative parts of it that way it's lightweight and sturdy and paintable! And by using the wood I can either nail or screw it together so it doesn't break apart if my sister bumps into anything.
I get really into brainstorming this how-to shit :) although i would hate for someone to steal all my ideas and do the same costume. I would cry.

Alaria
11-26-2002, 02:54 AM
lol, dunnot worry, I promise that I shall not steal your ideas , ^__^ Its nice to hear how other people are excited about working on their costumes, and hearing others helps me think about ways to do mine. Not the same, but it gets me gears rolling :)

Something Lulu
12-03-2002, 09:52 PM
LOL Activating this uber cool thread again :)

TyJILDown
12-03-2002, 10:07 PM
Yay. good move ^^

Something Lulu
12-03-2002, 10:09 PM
I know Akimi wanted advice on this costume so I figure this is the place to do it. ^_^

Alaria
12-03-2002, 11:10 PM
yes, now we need is Akimi! ,.....until then, how're all my fellow wonderful Lulu's doing!!

Akimi
12-03-2002, 11:58 PM
heya! lol, I am here! Go Lulu-ers ^_^

Anyways, umm..now for my questions ^^;;

1. How do you actually attach all those belts in the skirt? I know belts are thick, so wouldnt it be very difficult to sew? (umm..I probably wont sew the costume though, I will just hire a seamstress perhaps)

2. The hairpins..I actually bought the bead thingies that I can use for it. lol, and picked some chopsticks along that I was hoping I could use. I was also thinking of using wires...uh..help? ^^;;

3. How can you prevent the costume from falling down? I mean, you know, the off-shoulder thingy.if you know what I mean.

4. make up advice for someone with asian features so that i could at least look a bit like lulu. well, i actually tried awhile ago..maybe I have a chance of at least resembling her in this avy-fanart I am using right now.

5. Any alternatives for belts? Real belts are expensive. O-o

well, that's all for now. Thanks so much! =)

TyJILDown
12-03-2002, 11:58 PM
Pretty good for once thank goodness...just running around -attempting- to do this gosh darned horrid X-mas shopping!! How about you?

Alaria
12-04-2002, 12:07 AM
ok!
#1. belts can be attached a # of ways:
a) can be sewn to actual skirt. Problem with this is that it causes bumpies at points of attachment, and can drag dress down
b) attach them to another skirt under ur grey one, and have that skirt either hand or attach to the over skirt...this prevents bumpies, and helps fill in any belt gaps
c) make fake belts out of pleather/vinyl and have them attached...disadvantage, not as realistic
Belts can be attached via sewing with leather needle, or I'd recommend epoxy glue. solid and flexible :)

#2 Hairpins are up to ur creative imagination! I used a combination of tons of things; beads, bells, wire, chopsticks, skewes, etc. But I painted everything with acrylics. I could give u more specifics on how I did it if u need

#3 lol, that depends on ur size, I think O_o but I used a Victoria's Secret corset, so it held me in well, and the rest held it self up...positioning the fur strategically is also good

soshi
12-04-2002, 12:08 AM
makeup-wise...

get eyebrow sealant (cealant? x_x;; god I hate s/c words. *dies*), cover up your eyebrows, and draw hers on. *lol* if you have little eyes, get the biggest fake eyelashes you can find, and stick 'em on over some dramatic and slightly overdone eye makeup.

er.. yeah. *falls asleep on keyboard*

Alaria
12-04-2002, 12:11 AM
#4....eyeliner on bottom lid to round out ur eye more, and eyeliner on top thickest at the middle of the eye..cheek blush higher up and in a more diagonal along the cheek bone to give a more pronounced, angular look to the face...in terms of brands, mac has some great purples

#5 see #1 :)

Something Lulu
12-04-2002, 01:35 AM
1. I went with the method of wearing two skirts, with the belts attached to the one underneath. That way they don't drag down the top one, since those belts can get pretty heavy. I used gaffer's tape which is for stage stuff, but I wouldn't recommend it. I was really low on time and needed something temporary. I'm going to do the skirt over and there's a *lot* of things I'm going to do differently.

2. You can just mess around with different arts and crafts supplies for the hairpins. Just have fun! I spent a while in a bead place one day with some close up pictures and then went home to play with glue and paint. But make sure they're sturdy! The last thing you want to worry about is breaking them or losing pieces. Also, if you use real bells for the red one, do what Alaria did and fill them with glue..mine were ringing in my ears all day long.

3. I found a black corset from H&M for like $19 that I glued gray trim onto. I made the sleeves separate, then sewed velcro onto them. I also put velcro on the top of the corset, then I sewed some onto the fur in three places so it would attach to each sleeve and the top of the corset. It kept itself together nicely, and made it easy for me if I wanted to eat or something because I could just pull the sleeves off lol.

4. Alaria gave good advice about the eyeliner so I won't go over that again. For lipstick I'd recommend lipliner to shape and define your lips. And don't forget the beauty mark! lol I did that at AX. Purple eyeshadow in different shades...play around with it. You could get some nice shadow definition with darker on the lids and lighter up towards the eyebrows. Lulu's kind of pale, so you could maybe work with that, too, but I don't put makeup on my face face (i.e. anywhere other than eyes and mouth) so I didn't bother with that.

5. I was able to get my belts for $2 each. I live in NY and ppl just sell them on the street. I was very proud, b/c I talked the guy down from like $5. :) As alternatives though...well, some people just make them out of leather or vinyl or whatever, but honestly, real ones look more like the costume, and to me it seems like less work to just buy them than try to make them.

Alaria
12-04-2002, 01:37 AM
$19??? what is H&M?????

Akimi
12-04-2002, 03:01 AM
thanks so much! now i cant wait to start working on it. lol, oh yeah, the corsette could actually help in holding that fur up. lol (it really is dificult since I dont have a big bustline *sweatdrops* ) I probably wont have a problem looking pale. I think my skin is pale enough compared to other people here. But of course, if I'll be going to America, I'd probably look darker than most of you guys ^^;;

Speaking of going to America..I sure hope my work wont require me to go to America early next year or the day of my Lulu cosplay...-_-;;

ReiChan
12-04-2002, 06:03 AM
Question for my fellow Lulus:

Where did you guys find your fur? I used this kind of crappy black/gray synthetic stuff for mine and I kinda want to replace it. I want something fluffier, and maybe a more brownish color like Lulu's was in the FMVs.

Marianne
12-04-2002, 11:10 AM
Yikes, I hadn't realized this thread had gotten so big...thanks for the compliments. ReiChan - where are you from in San Diego? I'm in PQ at the moment...as for the fur, funny thing, I got mine (and all my fabric) at WalMart. The one I used was black/gray synthetic material too, but I found it 2 years ago there, and that's what inspired me to be Lulu. However, I went there recently and they had a really good brownish one...you kind of have to go there frequently to catch them (which I do :D).

Marianne
12-04-2002, 11:24 AM
Akimi - I think the only other really successful part of my costume (besides my mog :D) was my belt skirt, although I wasn't able to properly attach the dress over it so it would drape in time for the pictures. I went with the two skirt idea as well. I bought a majority of the belts on eBay...some guy sold me 20 for $12...and went bargain hunting (WalMart, Styles/Clothestime) and paid no more than $5 a belt. I arranged the belts on the floor first, with two XL size belts framing them on the sides. At the bottom I used a huge curvy belt so it would shape. At the top - HERE WAS MY TRICK TO CARRYING ALL THOSE HEAVY BELTS - I used a belt that fit me which I wore around my waist. To attach the belts, I used medium/small black zip ties inserted in whatever crevice, prong hole, or buckle I could find...some belts are extremely difficult to work with. For the belts that frame the entire skirt, you would need ones with a LOT of holes already in it. Then I just made the skirt and "planned" on Velcro-ing it to the side belts, but I had no time and had to settle for good old safety pins. Anyway, I'm getting all flustered reminiscing about this project...have fun and good luck!

Akimi
12-04-2002, 05:34 PM
lol, thanks. well, I was wondering what kind of fabric you used for the inside skirt (must be strong enough to hold the belts I suppose) - I prefer something less expensive than leather since it wont be seen anyways. ^^;;

Oh yeah, about the moogle, I was planning to just 'massacre' I white teddy bear stuffed toy and turn him into moogle. Is that ok? I dont think I can find any of those moogle toys here >_<;; Any more tips? ^^;;

gosh, I am so excited about this !

Alaria
12-04-2002, 08:10 PM
for the inside, I just bought a normal black long skirt with a slit that I lengthened and positioned over the exposed thigh
DON'T massacrea a teddy!!!! I can get u a moogle doll for $10 on an online site!!! I'll get the address and send it to u, ok :)
As for the fur, mine was pure luck; I'm affiliated with a theatre, and they had a fur wrap they didn't want any more. I'd suggest looking in fabric stores, they have fur...or find a local theatre and see if they have any!!

heki-chan
12-04-2002, 09:04 PM
Akimi- for the inside slitted skirt, u wouldnt want leather/faux leather, since its already UNDER the main outer skirts it will cause unwanted bulk...maybe..look into some cotton/nylon/spandexy type of fabric^_^ (or just buy a stretchy skirt...) itll be more comfy bcuz faux leather/pleather dusnt breathe at all X_X;

as for the belts...a staple gun did wonders on our Lulu^_^

~heki

TyJILDown
12-04-2002, 09:46 PM
ReiChan, My fur was a Banana Republic wrap that happened to fit around my shoulders PERFECTLY. I got it on eBay for $8.00 when it retailed for $50.00 ^^ I think looking for fake fur wraps would be a great way out, as they also feature lining to begin with ^^

Akimi, here's how I did my stuff...

1. I used black denim for the panel where the belts would be attached. After attaching it to the opening and cutting/sewing the open leg section, I hot glued the belts to the skirt after sewing each end of the belt to the leather & denim. It held up really well. For sewing through the belts at each end, I made holes with a leather ore and sewed through that hole.

2. I used a variety of materials, from heavy gauge wires to wood chopsticks to heavy gauge silver sheeting...I really don't know how to help without rambling for a LONG time. THe the decorations at the top, I used various beads, bells, clays & wiring.

3. My costume was a few parts, the corset, skirt & fur wrap were separate. The skirt was tight at my waist with a zipper closure to prevent it from dragging. The corset had a zipper front closure and lace closure in the back. The zipper made it easy to get the corset on and off without relacing. The fur wrap was held on with a hook and eye closure, it draped around my shoulders for a nice fit. I didn't attach anything together in so I wouldn't chance ruining the costume.

4. My makeup was really shitty for my costume so I wouldn't try to help...

5. eBay!!! I bought over 75 belts that I had butchered for the sleeves & 2 versions of my skirt, it cost me about $25 in total between the 2 auctions with shipping. I had a nice variety of stuff too...

As I noted for the "inside" skirt, I was going to make two skirts but I opted for my "fake skirt" look by using the heavy black denim to back it and it did the trick. As for the Moogle, I got my lil' voodoo Mog on eBay for $14, everyone LOVED it!

soshi
12-04-2002, 11:03 PM
fur-ness... try thrift stores. there's a thrift store by me in San Clemente that ALWAYS has big old *REAL* fur coats and wraps. I haven't had to make a costume that needs fur, but.. I keep places like that in mind just in case. ^^

Akimi
12-05-2002, 12:53 AM
lol, i guess you guys pitied the poor teddy. Ok I will spare a teddy bear's life if I could get an authentic moogle toy. ^_^;;

Oh my! Alaria, if you could get me one. I sure would appreciate it! How big/tall is it? But the problem is, I'm from the Philippines. Will that be a problem? Just tell me how much and I will see if I could afford the shipping and all ^^

The Yuna cosplayer of our group got some fur. But I think it is white. I dunno if I should color it brownish yellow or something. She also got some leather but I think it's black (but I think the leather that she's gonna give me will only be enough for the sleeves though). now I am not sure if I should go on with the dark grey color scheme of Lulu's costume or black. .

Hmm..I am surprised that most of you used chopsticks too. All along I thought that using chopsticks for the hairpins was a crazy idea ^_^;;

Yeah, i think I should allow the fur to drape on my shoulder to create the illusion that it's attached a little lower. i cant afford to show any hint cleavage *is conservative* lol. But i will try to get the fur as low as possible. O_O

thanks so much again. *huggles all the Lulus*

Alaria
12-05-2002, 01:17 AM
*huggles back* If we could get ALL of us at one con for a pic that would be so fun ^__^ And yesh, I'll get the Moogle doll for u, its the official square one, so its the right size, and it shouldn't be a problem for the shipping. If its too much, let me know, and I'll help u out.

Akimi
12-05-2002, 01:48 AM
I am willing to buy it Alaria!! thanks so much! Tell me what I should do and how much exactly so I could save for it. I have a job so it wouldnt be much of a problem ^_^

yeah, if only we could all have a picture of ourselves in Lulu costumes. That would be totally awesome.

Alaria
12-06-2002, 09:41 PM
*shakes her fist at the online anime store* ok, hun, the anime store that has it for $10 is being a pain. I clicked on the add to cart, and put Ayashi no Ceres artbook for $45! So I wrote to them a few days ago, and they still haven't responded....so is a bit more from a reliable place ok?

Something Lulu
12-06-2002, 10:50 PM
Alaria - H&M is a European clothing store that opened up a bunch of locations in NY that has really cheap, really nice clothing. They just have SO MUCH stuff, and really great prices on a lot of things. The quality of most stuff is pretty good, as well. The corset I got was plain black with that boning stuff inside, with a lace up back and a zipper on the side (that I probably would not have noticed until my friend pointed it out to me). It also had detachable straps, so I took those off and just safety-pinned the part that attached them. And yes, all for just $19.

My fur was really crappy, cuz I was in such a rush and I just got what I could that day.

I got my Moogle from AnimeNation for a little less than $30, tax and shipping included. More than I would have liked to have spent, but they got it to me quickly.

Alaria
12-06-2002, 10:58 PM
oro, I'll try and find something a wee cheaper than that ^__^ do u know if H&M has an online catalog?

Something Lulu
12-06-2002, 11:00 PM
Hmm...I'm not too sure. I don't even know if they have a website! I'll look around though.

TyJILDown
12-06-2002, 11:10 PM
There's one H&M at Broadway Mall that absolutely SUCKS but the one at the Fortuneoff's Source Mall near me isn't too bad...each location has different things from what I have noticed...

Something Lulu
12-06-2002, 11:21 PM
Yes, they do. It depends on the type of ppl who go to each, and the area. The one at 34th at Herald's Square is geared towards the younger, more casual crowd, whereas the one on 5th Ave in the 50s has more professional type clothing. And the one in SoHo...well, it's more expensive than I think H&M clothing should be, and I don't really like any of the stuff there. It's all really girly and... Ok lemme stop before I get myself into trouble lol. If you look around though you can find some nice stuff in the larger ones.

Akimi
12-07-2002, 02:31 AM
Well, just inform me if there's any way I could buy this moogle. Oh darn, I hope I can get one for 10 dollars >_< ;;

thanks =)

Alaria
12-10-2002, 03:15 AM
Hey everyone, bringing this thread up top again!
Akimi: sorry for the delay; finals have got the best of me at the moment
All the Lulus: I was looking at in game pictures at the back of Lulu's skirt the other day to confirm something I thought I saw earlier, and it was rt! Lulu has a semicircular hole at the back of her skirt at the top, I think because the skirt is intended to hang down in the back as if it was tied underneath the corset...did anyone else ever notice that??

Nine
12-10-2002, 03:44 AM
Hey everyone, bringing this thread up top again!
Akimi: sorry for the delay; finals have got the best of me at the moment
All the Lulus: I was looking at in game pictures at the back of Lulu's skirt the other day to confirm something I thought I saw earlier, and it was rt! Lulu has a semicircular hole at the back of her skirt at the top, I think because the skirt is intended to hang down in the back as if it was tied underneath the corset...did anyone else ever notice that??

I did when I was looking at my ffx bootleg dvd, for pictures of Lulu's back (for reference pictures for my 2nd Lulu costume.) ^^; when I make my 2nd Lulu costume, I'm going to leave that out. I came to the conclusion that if I put that hole in the back of the costume, it will probably expose stuff I won't want to be exposed ^^;

Alaria
12-10-2002, 04:03 AM
lol, I was thinking of wearing nude colored tights and undies, but I understand ur concern Nine ^__^ good, at least someone else noticed, thanx!

TyJILDown
12-10-2002, 11:22 AM
Alaria, I have the ArtFX statue and noticed that cut in the back of her skirt as well. My father's friend and I were consulting someone who majored in fashion and suggested we just left that detail out to mke it easier on ourselves.

If I would have made that cut, the skirt wouldn't have been as snug at the waist using a rear center zipper. The skirt would droop a little due to the weight of the belts. If it wasn't that the belts made the skirt so heavy, it would have been no probably since there would just be a crve under where the corset ended and tied, just leaving a little excess skin.

Something Lulu
12-10-2002, 11:44 AM
I noticed it too but just decided to ignore it in attempts to make this costume just a *tad* bit easier. ^_^

Peppermintstix
12-11-2002, 02:01 AM
I'm leaving that dang on cut out out as well. I'm also puttitng boning in the bustier part to hold my sister in. She certainly has a lulu chest. 0_o

Akimi
12-12-2002, 01:00 AM
ah, i didnt notice that too. It's ok Alaria. I understand ^^

Anyways, umm..about the moogle again..i found this site:

http://www.animecastle.com/ACFFX-80088.html

it costs $20 eek! lol, but I dont have a credit card ;_; I wonder how much the shipping will cost .

Marianne
12-12-2002, 12:11 PM
Akimi, if you had time or were planning on having someone sew for you I would sell the pattern I used to make my moogle. It's fairly huge and heavy, but it was simple to make and I liked it. Just a suggestion if your options lead you elsewhere...(:D)

Alaria
12-12-2002, 05:25 PM
ur moogle is kewt ^__^ up to u, Akimi; I'll help ya if u need to pay for it online. Tomorrow after finals I'm going to go check an anime store down the road too; they were selling them for pretty cheap.

Quistis
12-12-2002, 05:27 PM
You did a great job on that outfit. Really looks like Lulu.

__now playing // :w:

Akimi
12-12-2002, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the help Marianne. If I cant find me a stuffed moogle I will probably just make my own and take a look at your pattern. I dont know how to sew though. yesterday, I was looking at this white teddy bear. lol, imagining how I can make him look like a moogle. The teddy is about more than a feet tall and it costs around 5-6 dollars. haha. But I stopped myself. So I spared another teddy's life for now XDD

Alaria, thanks so much too. I really appreciate it. Dont worry, I am not rushing. The costume is still for next year. ^_^

Btw, how do you do that lace on Lulu's skirt and sleeves? I was thinking of improvising and just finding a somewhat similar design, but I dunno.

Alaria
12-12-2002, 05:37 PM
ara, that depends on how much time ur willing to spend ^___^ I've completely redone my lace so its exact and it took e 50+ hours because the lace variety in the fabric stores around here SUX. I ended up cutting out every petal and sewing them on into the pattern. I am NOT telling u do be that insane, just saying its variable :D

Akimi
12-12-2002, 05:50 PM
wow, alaria..I dont know if i will have the patience to do that..but hell, who knows, maybe I end up doing it anyway cos I really want to make this lulu costume the best costume I am going to have. I simply love the character ^^

How many belts do I need for the costume? My mom found a store that sells belts for less than a dollar. I am not that tall (just around 5'2" ) ^^;; My mom told me that i might only be needing 10 but I think I'm gonna buy around 20. What do you think?

(i hope I am not annoying you with my questions ^^ )

Alaria
12-12-2002, 07:49 PM
nonoo...I'd buy 10 at first and see how much it covers...

Akimi
12-12-2002, 08:56 PM
lol, ok. i will buy 10 belts first. btw, I found this lulu w/mog statue at ebay for only 9.95..but the shipping costs 45 dollars *dies*

Alaria
12-12-2002, 09:05 PM
oro O_o that's wayyyyyy too much!! ack, check animecastle for that statue, the prices there are ok.
Yeah, ebay can be great and it can be horrendously expensive

AngieRikku
12-12-2002, 09:31 PM
OMG... 45.00. I'd die too! Here is one for 9.95 and shipping is $10.00 to $15.00 in the USA. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=745505000

Akimi
12-12-2002, 09:37 PM
but the problem is, I do not live in the US. I emailed them and asked for shipping rates in the Philippines..and they replied..$45.00 X_x

I'm gonna check anime castle ^^

Alaria
12-12-2002, 09:53 PM
mebbe if I got it and then shipped it to u? It'd prob be cheaper...

Akimi
12-12-2002, 10:11 PM
yeah that could work Alaria. maybe we could ship the moogle with the statue. ^^;; umm..if you could check the shipping rates on your free time, that would be very helpful. I'll send you the payment by money transfer. Is that ok? I need to know the shipping rates first though ^_^

thanks so much *huggles Alaria*

Something Lulu
12-13-2002, 11:29 AM
Good luck with the Moogle, Akimi!

As for belts, I bought around 20 ($2 each) and ended up using probably 15 of them. (That skirt needs some help before next year, tho lol)

Stupid me decided to wait on the lace and buy it when I got to California, and I can verify what Alaria said that there is such a sucky variety to chose from. So I had to make do with what I had. Where I live there's tons of stores devoted to trim so I'm going to do the lace over again and buy it here, which is what I should have done in the first place.

Akimi
12-24-2002, 01:40 AM
hey thanks so much. You know, the anime con I attended last Sunday, I saw a Lulu cosplayer..aiya, now I wont be the first lulu cosplayer here..;_; she's got a good costume, even made it to the finals.lol, I hope I could at least have a good Lulu costume next year. ^^;;

Akimi
01-06-2003, 06:15 PM
pardon me for double posting, it's been a long time since i posted here anyways. Btw, how do you do Lulu's braids? I sure dont want to use a wig. I was thinking of using a yarn but maybe there's another inexpensive material that I could use that would look more like real hair. ^^;;

And do you think a black denim inside skirt will be enough to hold 15-20 belts? Any other fabric that is strong enough to hold those? I remember someone also suggesting spandex or something in this thread..^^

Thank you.

Alaria
01-06-2003, 09:45 PM
denim should be ok as long as u break it in so its not stiff
for the hair I had the extensions braided straight into my corn rows. What u can do is buy those bags of hair extensions , they're pretty cheap,and make the long braids and pin them in if u don't want to mesh them in with the rest of ur hair

TyJILDown
01-07-2003, 04:33 PM
Black denim shall definatly hold up the belts using it as an underskirt since that what I did...it could hold a good amount, I wish I used more myself to make it look better!

As for the braids I also bought $2 bags of Jumbo braid and made the extensions from that, Two bags was more than enough for the 4 braids. Just braid the hair leaving room at the top to attach it to your hair and at the bottom for the beads, then I matched the colors exactly to the ArtFX Lulu statue I have, also leaving some free hair under the beaded area. I used invisble clear elatic hair ties to finish them off on top and below the beads to hold it all in place.

To attach the braids to my hair I placed some of the top unbraided section into the bun in my hair then wrapped the braids around my bun using barbie pins to keep them inplace and let them hair down form the back.

Akimi
01-08-2003, 05:44 PM
Oh i see. thanks so much. Maybe I could find some hair extensions around here. And I'd probably use denim for an underskirt as well. My only worry is that if it gets too heavy, it might break the leather that's holding it or something (btw, did you separate the skirt from Lulu's top ? ) Well, I noticed that most lulu cosplayers are using black leather, while Lulu actually wears gray leather. Hmm..I think I'd go for gray. What do you think ^_^ ?

Aiya, Alaria..your baby pic is so adorable *_* Umm...sorry if i had to ask this but is there any news about the moogle thingy? ^^;;

Alaria
01-08-2003, 08:35 PM
top was a corset that went over the skirt ^__^ And I used grey pleather, not black....the figurine was black, so mebbe peeps based it off that
as for the moogle, the other place needs to get it shipped in O_o sorry for the delay, I'll get it to u as soon as possible!! *bows in apology*

TyJILDown
01-08-2003, 09:06 PM
Yep, my corset was also separate as well. The fur, corset, sleeves, & skirt were all separate pieces ^^

As for the pleather, I used a greyish/black pleather that looked different depending on the light, lookef grey in most shots thank goodness! No need to worry about the pleather ripping form the denim & belts, mine held up fine, only way my pleather ripped was when someone stepped on my train!!

Alaria
01-08-2003, 09:24 PM
yah, my sis did that repeatedly at expo ~_~ I dunno if I'm going to need to redo the skirt part or not now; I guess it depends how well I can hide it :thumbsup:

Alaria
01-08-2003, 10:22 PM
ara does anyone here have a aim name or knows someone with the aim name of parakisskiss

Akimi
01-08-2003, 11:26 PM
top was a corset that went over the skirt ^__^ And I used grey pleather, not black....the figurine was black, so mebbe peeps based it off that
as for the moogle, the other place needs to get it shipped in O_o sorry for the delay, I'll get it to u as soon as possible!! *bows in apology*

no no no!! Please do not apologize. It is you who is doing me a BIG favor *dies in embarrassment* ^_^;;

Ah..I see..so maybe I will just separate the top from the skirt. lol, it will be easier to put on that way I guess. And about the skirt..I guess I have to literally watch my back when I am at the con to see if someone's gonna step on the trail >_<

I hope I am not annoying you with my questions that much. lol, I am just so hell bent on making this costume as perfect as possible. many thanks ^_^

TyJILDown
01-08-2003, 11:34 PM
Don't worry, I wish I was able to get help from Lulu costumers when I made mine as I was also trying to be accurate as I could have it be!! It's great to learn from other's experiences! I myself am more than happy to help and I sure all the other Lulu's are as well!

Alaria
01-08-2003, 11:54 PM
of course akimi! *hugs* power to the lulu cosplayers! what's cosplay if we don't share and help each other?

Mandy Mitchell
01-10-2003, 03:49 AM
I'm planning to cosplay as Lulu and my costume is almost done. I must admit that Lulu is an incredibly tough costume to do. But kudos to those who put in the hard work and effort into their costumes! ;)

Alaria
01-10-2003, 03:54 AM
kudos to u too for undertaking it!! welcome to the lulu thread :) All lulus welcome 'cause lulu rox :)

Nine
01-10-2003, 04:43 AM
my lulu costume.. oi.. I've started work on it and yay..

I decided to use this couch vinyl.. because it was the closest I'd ever get to the fabric needed. Thanks to those who offered to go fabric shopping for me XD

I sewed the whole dress thing together.. I actually made a real bustier instead of just making a tube out of fabric. XD I put boning in the hem of the bottom of the dress so it keeps its round shape.. All I have to do is make the sleeves, (line them and sew them together), find sutable fur fabric (ugh.. hard times) and buy all the little pieces of aplicay for the trim! ~____~

Karisu-sama
01-10-2003, 05:17 AM
YAY! I hope I see it someday!
Note: If you used plastic boning, it will eventually get out of shape - when it does, replace it with steel.

Alaria
01-10-2003, 05:17 AM
sweet nine! :bigtu: I can't wait to see pics when its done ^^

Nine
01-10-2003, 05:29 AM
Karisu-sama: Thanks for the tip. I did use plastic boning... 6m of it actually (I layered it so it's stronger, because I couldn't find any stronger boning.) XD. I actually don't think it would get out of shape, because the boning isn't what is making it a circle, it's the way I hemmed the fabric. The boning is just there to keep it more circly.. (I don't think circly is a word XD You know what I meant anyway lol.) If I do happen to have a mishaping dilema, where can I find metal boning?

When I bought the boning from my fabric store, the lady was like "Why do you need 6m of boning?" So I went into a detailed explination of why I needed it, and she's like "oh... OK THEN! *snip*" XD

Alaria: I hopefully will get the costume finnished by the end of the month, if i can find the fur fabfic, and also excluding new jewerly and hairsticks. When I get pictures of the costume, the first thing I'll do is post them up on my gallery! :D

I'm falling in love with this 2nd attempt.. it's much better than my first one. :D I just hope I can find half decent aplicay! XD

Dia
01-10-2003, 07:35 PM
Pardon the interjection, but I make Lulu hair ornaments for sale.. ^^ (shameless plug!) My first set is up on my cosplay site *points to button link in sig* if anyone is interested. I've improved the newer sets, so they're more accurate.

Also, I think it's great that so many people are cosplaying Lulu. It's a very unique costume, and quite a challenge, as well ^_^ Best of luck!

TyJILDown
01-10-2003, 09:05 PM
hmm Dia, you made yours quite similar to the way I did my sticks, I used a bit more metal, only difference I see. I never saw your sets on eBay...some of the sets I have seen on eBay are not as nice as yours!!

Dia
01-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Thanks ^^ One of the not-so-good sets I saw on Ebay stole my writeup for the auction! *growls* >_<

Nine
01-10-2003, 09:35 PM
Nice Hairsticks! I have started on mine.. I just have the little hangy bits done.. :S I might resort to buying them made all ready if mine don't turn out to well ^^; Only time will tell though! *bookmarks site just incase* ^^;;

Alaria
01-13-2003, 03:15 AM
aargh I've been commissioned to do hairsticks, but the person sent me their info finally and I accidentally saved over it O_O I hope they come back on aim soon, oro

Nine
01-13-2003, 03:17 AM
I found applique for my Lulu costume.... it's mega expencive, but it's REALLY beautiful, and it's detailed with handsewn beads.. so I'm going to use that. It goes really well with the design of the costume too, so I'm really happy.

Alaria
01-13-2003, 05:15 AM
HAPPY B-DAY NINE!!!!!!
And congrats on the applique! It sounds lovely :)

Nine
01-13-2003, 05:35 AM
Thanks! :D I'm 18 now.. muhahaha now I can legally watch those 18+ cartoons on teletoon XD

Akimi
01-13-2003, 07:18 PM
I am interested in these Lulu hair sticks. Do you accept international orders? How much? ^^;; I cant find the hairpins in your site. O_o

umm..what's an applique? Pardon me cos I am really ignorant with sewing terms ^^ and belated happy birthday Nine.

All Lulu cosplayers unite!! I am really excited about this. And yeah, i am planning to use vinyl too. It's even less expensive than leather..I wonder if it is also as tough as leather?

TyJILDown
01-13-2003, 08:13 PM
Happy belated b-day Nine!

*shuts up so she can work on HW*

Alaria
01-13-2003, 08:42 PM
I used pleather, vinyl was a bit too shiny and too stiff for me, and the pleather I got was thin and pliable and was a good replica ^^

Akimi
01-15-2003, 07:41 AM
ah i see. well, me, my sister and cousin are gonna go to a large marketplace this saturday looking for materials. I hope I can find good ones. I thought lulu's costume kinda looked stiff..or maybe not cos I havent played the actual game. So if her skirt's not that stiff, i'd go for the leather thingy. ^^;;

Dia, I finally saw your hairpins.Damn, their gorgeous!! How much are you selling them? ^_^v

Alaria
01-15-2003, 07:10 PM
the back of the skirt is actually pretty fluid if you watch her walk; its the belts that make the front stiff. And remember, if she can bend that much for her victory pose, the skirt can't be that stiff ;)

Dia
01-15-2003, 07:17 PM
Akimi - thanks ^_^ I was very surprised, but the Ebay auction for my first set went up to $76! Commissioned sets, though, will go for around $35 or so, plus shipping. They /do/ take a lot of work ^^;;

Alaria
01-15-2003, 07:24 PM
Lol Dia I'll second that one ^^ I have to send a commission out tomorrow; how much did u have to pay for shipment?

Dia
01-15-2003, 07:29 PM
Not too much.. it was either $4 or $7, I can't recall which. I recommend using bubblewrap and tissue paper ^_^

By the way, Alaria, I want to compliment you on your Lulu - you did a wonderful job, and are one of the few people I've seen who have pulled it off so well *claps*

Alaria
01-15-2003, 08:52 PM
Thank u so much Dia ^^ I'm hoping it will be even better by ax; I'm afraid it was rather last minute. I would love to see pics of ur lulu! Ur hairsticks are very lovely. It looks like u modeled the colors from the artwork that they have on the wallscrolls and such of her standing on the hillside with yuna, neh? :) Will u be going to ax?

Dia
01-15-2003, 08:57 PM
Oh, I didn't do a Lulu! ^^ I just made the hairsticks for sale. I thought it would be fun, and I figured they'd fetch a good price. I mostly used an image I have of her profile headshot thing, and some closeups of that, with frequent reference to the one you mentioned. Unfortunately, I won't be attending AX (I'm stuck in GA >_<) but a good friend of mine will, and I'll make sure he gets a picture of you for me ^_^

Alaria
01-15-2003, 09:10 PM
Lol that's so sweet of u :) And u do a great job on the hairsticks, so that's a great supplement ^^ Are u welding metal for them for the most part?
*nods* I used the color scheme from the nomura artwork so my colors are alot brighter which is what I noticed

Nine
01-16-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by TyJILDown
Happy belated b-day Nine!

I used pleather, vinyl was a bit too shiny and too stiff for me, and the pleather I got was thin and pliable and was a good replica ^^

The only pleather close enough that I could find had little silver specs in it :S I decided to go with vinyl.. It's pretty thick, but it gives the costume a wicked loooook. The unfortunate part of it is that the inside of it is white.. ~_~ I had to line the sleeves.. uuugh lining vinyl isn't very easy!! lol

Akimi - If you can find pleather that's the actual look, then go for that. Only buy the vinyl as a last resort, or use it if you're confident in your sewing skills to work with it. Make sure your sewing machine can handle it too. :) I forgot to add... it's 10x heavier than regular pleather... ~_~

Dia
01-16-2003, 04:01 PM
Alaria - only two of the hairsticks use metal - the aqua double pick and the gold one with the blue bead on the end. For those, I used coathanger wire. The rest of them are bamboo skewers with the dangly things and whatnot made of Sculpey clay and beads. No welding for me ^^

Alaria
01-16-2003, 05:15 PM
*nods* hai, that sounds familiar to me! ^^ I used coatwire hanger for the gold and blue as well, sculpey and beads, and hair chopsticks instead of bamboo skewers *thumbs up*

Akimi
01-16-2003, 05:46 PM
Thanks. I actually found a gray leatherette, but it's quite expensive but it's really a good fabric. Well, I am willing to go for it as my last resort. Yeah, I saw vinyl and it's white underneath. Ah, I am glad that I asked that.

About the pins. Ey, Dia, I will contact you in case my hairpins didnt go out good. I wanna buy those someday (how much is the shipping for Asian countries?). I am really going to invest in this Lulu costume I am making. I dont care if I wear it so many times, I simply love the character.

Well, you might find it odd how I liked her though I havent played ffx (no ps2). The first time I saw her, I got drawn to Lulu, especially when I got to read about her profile. She's more like me than I thought ^^;;

And yes, Alaria is one of the best Lulu cosplayers i've seen. I havent seen the full pic of her (looks like photos page has a bug... the pics wont show for me this time. I tried it numerous time with Alaria's photo page..) but just seeing her avatars..I could really tell! Damn, awesome hair!! ^^ and the Lulu look!!

Alaria
01-16-2003, 05:49 PM
noooo, ur too generous with ur compliments!! *bows in thanks* Hrmm, it seems that most people can't view my pics; it must be my photoshop conflicting with the server. I'm thinking of rescanning in with a different program

Dia
01-16-2003, 07:00 PM
Akimi - oh, great ^_^ Hmm, shipping.. I don't know off the top of my head - it'll depend on the weight of the package and whatnot, so I'm not really sure. But if/when you're serious about it, email me and I can check for you if needs be.

Mandy Mitchell
01-17-2003, 01:17 AM
Nine, I used black vinyl too for my skirt. I had to line the sleeves because the wrong side of the fabric was white.

Why didn't I think of using coathanger wire in the first place? I used real wire for the two upper hairsticks which was a real pain to do. At least that's over with. I'm using Sculpey clay for the petals. For the two lower sticks, I used hair chopsticks.

Akimi, I didn't get into Final Fantasy until Final Fantasy X came out. When I saw the artwork, I was blown away and felt compelled to cosplay the characters. You should get FFX on PS2 if you have the chance. It is one of the best RPGs I have every played.

Nine
01-17-2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Mandy Mitchell
Nine, I used black vinyl too for my skirt. I had to line the sleeves because the wrong side of the fabric was white.

Why didn't I think of using coathanger wire in the first place? I used real wire for the two upper hairsticks which was a real pain to do. At least that's over with. I'm using Sculpey clay for the petals. For the two lower sticks, I used hair chopsticks.

Yeah, I used black vinyl too, but the black is really a dull greyish colour, but it was clasified as black.. ^^;

and COAT HANGER WIRE IS AN AWESOME IDEA!! OMFG XD that's wicked. ...I was really worried about where I was going to find thick enough wire.. :S

Nine
01-18-2003, 01:46 AM
I made a sleeve.. I like it a lot (the webcam didn't really pick up on the prettyness and detailed designs of the applique though ;_; ) I also got the fur sample from that fur store online, and ordered it! here's the sample: http://nine3k1.ods.org/picsjan2003/lulufursample.jpg it's so cool! XD I can't wait to get this costume done -_-;;

Mandy Mitchell
01-18-2003, 03:30 AM
I think you picked a nice choice for fabric. In the cgi, Lulu's fabric is dark brown. In the game, it's grey. On the figurine, it's black. So Lulu's costume is opened to interpretation on however you feel what's best.
I've been working on my costume for months, and I only have a few tasks left. We all can't wait to get our costumes done! ^_^

Nine
01-18-2003, 03:36 AM
I can't wait to see how everyone's turns out too!! You make an awesome point about interpretation on her costume.. it's really different.. from the drawings, to figure, to CG, to ingame.. O_O

Alaria
01-18-2003, 03:43 AM
hey that looks really nice Nine! Ur right, the applique for the lace is lovely ^^ I agree about the interpretation; its hard to do an exact replica of the character when there are so many depictions. I kinda meshed everything I found from in game, the official cg artwork, and Nomura's official artwork.

Nine
01-18-2003, 03:50 AM
Alaria - Thanks! :D The applique better be worth the price... *cries at how much it was* ;_; Hopefully, this Lulu costume will be a keeper. (I kept my old Lulu costume, I don't want to sell it because the quality of it isn't really good enough to actually sell to someone.. ^^; )

Gothic_Lulu
01-18-2003, 01:25 PM
Hi everyone ^_^!

Wish I had the experience to make my own Lulu costume ^_^;;;;;

I am commsioning mine for over 400 dollars (including the accessories) so I hope it comes out well. I also just bought a Tonberry plushie and my Japanese teacher is making me a mog plushie ^_^

Nine, that applique looks really nice *_*!

I put a attachment of what mine should look like (mine will have the fur and applique on it of course ^.~)

Nine
01-18-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Gothic_Lulu

Nine, that applique looks really nice *_*!

Thanks! :D

That Lulu costume looks really cool! :D I can't wait to see the one you got commsioning! :D $400 sounds like a good price for a Lulu costume.. mines going to be about $450+ when it's complete ~_~

Gothic_Lulu
01-18-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Nine
Thanks! :D

That Lulu costume looks really cool! :D I can't wait to see the one you got commsioning! :D $400 sounds like a good price for a Lulu costume.. mines going to be about $450+ when it's complete ~_~

I can't wait to see your revised one too ^_^.....I can't wait till it comes in...heheh I owe my mom though...she is the one that is paying for it ^_^..

I think to 400 range is the typical price ranges....I wanted to go all out with this one.....I have never worn a corset before...it is going to be...er....well interesting to say the least ^_^!

Akimi
01-19-2003, 03:07 AM
Wow, it's almost done Gothic_lulu!! I cannot wait ^^

I was able to buy the leather fabric yesterday. I think it's vinyl..but kinda too soft for a vinyl. Its color is perfect and it's not expensive either! I think I even bought too much fabric.

Umm..I can use the excess fabric for the inside skirt right?So i would not have to buy me a denim thingy? ^^ I also got to buy some strings that looks so much like hair. I am so happy to have saved so much money. ^^;;

Dia, I will contact you once I decided about the pins. I will see how this one that we're gonna make is going to look. But then, you always go to this site right?Dont worry, I will keep in touch. ^_^

Ah, I am getting too excited about the costume now that I already got the fabric ^^. Oh yeah, next problem is the lace thingy.

Dia
01-19-2003, 04:29 PM
Akimi - I'm here a fair bit ^_^ Just get in touch whenever.

Nine
01-20-2003, 08:40 PM
I just did the second sleeve... the problem with pinning the applique EXACTLY the same as the first one is that I almost sewed the applique on the sleeve that all ready had it sewn on.. ^^; It's done, and I just have to do a minimal amount of sewing now... I just have to wait for the fur fabric to arrive in the mail, and I have to do a lot of spending... ~_~ *wallet stars to cry* the applique is $85... BUT IT'S SO PRETTY!! *screams* *cries* XD ...also, I have to spend the $?? for the belts!! Arg! ...at least I have one belt all ready! XD I can't seem to find cheap 2nd hand belts! The belts at Value Village are like $10 each!!! Anyone know of a Canadian based store that sells CHEAP leather belts?

Alaria
01-21-2003, 04:56 AM
ara, no salvation army equivalents there?? You might wanna look on e-bay then if u can't find a cheap store. But I hear ya on the applique, lace is so bloody expensive!! But it looks sooo nice in the end ^^ *bounces* I wanna see pics of both ur sleeves, and also when u get ur fur in!

Nine
01-21-2003, 05:02 AM
We have a thousand Salvation Army thrift store *slaps himself* there's even one RIGHT BESIDE MY FAVORITE ANIME STORE THAT I GO TO ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME.. .....next time I go i'll check it out. XD

When the fur comes, I'll be busy at work on it, and then the costume itself will be done minus the applique on the train and front and the various jewelry. (I might reuse my blue circle necklace, except re thread it with smaller better looking beads between them.) ^^; I'll make sure to definately take pictures!

Nine
01-22-2003, 01:59 PM
I finnished the bustier, so I could wear the costume!! ...I tried taking pictures with my cam, but because of my limited space, i had a hard time... so i took a video. XD

http://nine3k1.ods.org/luluvideo.avi (right click and save as... and it's 0.5MB)

you need divx 5 to view it! ^^;

Akimi
01-22-2003, 11:27 PM
argghh..i cant view it Nine. Cant you take screenshots ^^;;? Just use the print screen thingy ^^

Nine
01-23-2003, 12:52 AM
Sure, ill do that ^^;

http://nine3k1.ods.org/Lulushots

The video shows off the costume much better than these screenshots - but these pics will be ok.

If you wanna try to view the video again, go to http://www.divx.com and download the divx 5 codec (don't download the player that is up for download, just get the codec.) Then, view the AVI in windows media player. ^^d

Alaria
01-23-2003, 11:14 AM
ooooo ur skirt material looks really good!

Something Lulu
01-23-2003, 04:23 PM
Wow, it's been so long since I've been here. @_@ Everyone is making so much progress on their costumes! Nine, yours is coming along beautifully! And it seems like you're working on it very quickly.

I'm starting to get really stressed out because one of my "projects," along with all the new costumes I want to make, was to completely redo my Lulu costume. I ran into a lot of problems the first time around (mostly due to lack of time and good pictures) but I'm starting to feel the pinch. I want to wear it at ABoston but I just realized that it's not too far off. >_< I've spent the past week and a half stuck in my house with bronchitis or the flu or whatever (which is why I haven't been online), effectively wasting the last days of my vacation before school starts again and I have *no* time to shop for/work on costumes.

Completely unrelated to that whole thing, how did everyone here design the patterns for the skirt and sleeves? Did you use pre-existing patterns, alterations, or make them yourself? A woman I know was kind enough to do a draping of me with muslin, and made the pattern from that. But for Lulu Version 2.0 I bought some patterns that I plan to alter. What methods did you all use?

Alaria
01-23-2003, 06:25 PM
*hugs something lulu* its good to see u on again; I hope ur feeling better!

the sleeves for my lulu 2.0 I made myself; I took one of my peasant blouses and made a rough pattern based on those sleeves, and altered the billow of the sleeves as I saw fit. For the skirt one of my theatre friends helped me in the shaping of the over skirt, the underskirt I altered from a long skirt I already had.

Limeyaku
01-23-2003, 06:50 PM
mm...sorry for being off-topic but...

alaria-san do you have a site or online photo album of ur cosplay? ^^;;

for some reason, whenever i try to see your gallery from either of my computers ( or my cousins ) it won't load.

guess there's too many people marvelling at your perfect lulu. :p

Nine
01-23-2003, 06:56 PM
Alaria - Thanks! :D

Something Lulu - For the sleeves, I made the sleeves on both costumes by myself... With my first Lulu costume, I feel that I made the sleeves too big so in my 2nd one, so I made the sleeves a bit smaller. I just basically measured the top of my arm, and half way past my hand to the length I want it to hang down and added an inch on each for seem allowance... so in my head I "folded" the sleeve out on a piece of paper, cut it out and wrapped it around my arm to see if it was good enough. ^^;

...I then had to line the sleeves which was torcher cause of the fabric of them.. but it turned out ok ^^; Good luck on your sleeves

For the actual dress part of the Lulu costume, I actually got my dad to help me with the pattern.. lol. it's basically a cylinder with a circumference of my chest measurements at the top, and a circumference of double my chest measurements at the bottom. I then cut it out, sewed it together, and cut out the front by carefully measuring it where I wanted it to cut out (i did it a bit smaller so I could adjust it at the end of the day, and allow it to be hemmed.

Alaria
01-23-2003, 06:59 PM
Limeyaku; lol hardly, but that's sweet of u! Evidently there's an error involving my photoshop and the server, so only certain comps can see. I'm in the process of making the cosplay part of my website rt now, and when that's done I'll def post a link here ^^

Nine: that's so cool that ur dad helped u! My parents think I'm insane

Nine
01-24-2003, 03:11 AM

Nine: that's so cool that ur dad helped u! My parents think I'm insane

haha, really? My parents thought i was insane for cosplaying about a year ago.. they also thought it was going to be a dying trend for me. a year later, they totally support me (financially on most of the part lol)

Alaria
01-24-2003, 07:52 PM
that's cool! ^^ Well, when my interest perpetuated, the bemusement turned to disgust and sarcasm, so there's no financial support either :D kudos to ur parents!

Can we do a head count?? I'd love to know how many Lulus are going to be at AX and/or at Otakon! Because I want to take pics of all of you!

Mandy Mitchell
01-24-2003, 09:45 PM
I'm going to be cosplaying Lulu on Friday and Saturday at AX. I think it would be really cool if we had a group shot of all the Lulu cosplayers. Last year, we tried to do that with Rikku cosplayers, and it was a lot of fun!

Nine
01-25-2003, 01:06 AM
I wish that I could go to AX or Otakon ;____; My only con this year will be Sakuracon. My first real full convention experience (hotel room, staying for all three days, costumes galore) I can't wait!!!!!

Nine
01-26-2003, 08:54 AM
I got my fur fabric! It's so.. fur fabric like. lol I just bought the EXACT right amount too... which was scary because I didn't think I'd have enough :S ^^;;

Alaria
01-26-2003, 02:02 PM
^^ Lol, that's cool Nine! What color interpretation did u do for Lulu's fur? The greyish from in game , greyish streaked with tan from CGs and the wallscroll/poster, or the straight up tan color from Nomura artwork?

Something Lulu
01-26-2003, 04:07 PM
I"ll be at AX, not sure about Otakon yet, seeing as it's only a few weeks after I get back to NY from SDCC.

TyJILDown
01-26-2003, 06:27 PM
I'm not quite sure if I shall be dragging Lulu to Otakon since I already have 3 costumes lined up. We'll see what the hell I can manage to pack ^^

Nine
01-26-2003, 08:07 PM
^^ Lol, that's cool Nine! What color interpretation did u do for Lulu's fur? The greyish from in game , greyish streaked with tan from CGs and the wallscroll/poster, or the straight up tan color from Nomura artwork?

I decided to go with the straight up tan coloured fur fabric from Nomura's artwork. ^^d

Mandy Mitchell
01-27-2003, 07:51 PM
If anyone's interested, I'm auctioning off Lulu's cosplay necklaces on ebay. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3204186712

Something Lulu
01-28-2003, 03:30 PM
The purple one is really nice, Mandy! I'm so tempted... >_<

Mandy Mitchell
01-29-2003, 02:37 AM
Thank you! :)

Something Lulu
02-01-2003, 11:56 PM
Okay, I went fabric shopping today and found some really nice black pleather. However, it's somewhat thick (compared to what I was told was PVC) and I'm wondering if this means I should be using different needles or some such thing. I only bought a yard of it, but I need like 8 for Lulu and about 4 more for my Dita and Paine costumes. For now I'm going to try and make Dita's shorts out of it to see how it works, but I was wondering if pleather is the way to go. The PVC is more flexible, but the color was too gray and looked like a raincoat. (I prefer the black interpretation of Lulu's clothing.) I also get the feeling it might be *too* flimsy. For anyone who's familiar with the different types of fabric, can you offer a suggestion as to which might be best for Lulu? (Both are the same price - $8/yd.) Thanks. ^_^

Nine
02-02-2003, 06:18 AM
you need 8 yards for your Lulu costume??? O_O Why do you need that much? I only needed 3 yards at 60inches and I'm 6'0 220lbs ^^;

Anyway (Sorry, I was just surprised that you need that much ^^; I don't mean to offend you or change your judgement on how much you need... ^^;; ) you should use the strongest, heaviest needle you can find. I've broken 2 needles while doing my Lulu costume (go me! XD) so it would be wise to have a spare needle or two *just incase* (don't go around breaking needles though because it could be bad for the machine.)

I used a dull black (which looks grey) vinyl.. it's really heavy. My costume weights about 2 lbs w/o the belts lol... If you're using pleather (which shouldn't be as thick as vinyl lol) then I'd still go for a strong leather sewing needle. ^^d

Alaria
02-03-2003, 02:09 AM
Something Lulu: 8 yards?? *falls over* anyhoo, if u can look around a bit more, there are different types of pleather; the thicker one like ur talking about (usually the underside is much lighter) and then there's a lighter, more flexible kind. If u can find that its really nice to work with, and doesn't need as big a needle. If u can't find that, then perhaps order black pvc/vinyl online? 'Cause that thicker pleather is haaard to move in

Something Lulu
02-03-2003, 10:39 AM
(I tried to reply last night but my boyfriend took the keyboard away. >_<)

Anyway, um, maybe I don't need 8 yds? lol It's very possible I read the pattern thing wrong. (I'm just glad I decided to wait to buy it lol.) I'm going to ask the lady who made the pattern for my Lulu skirt last time to look it over for me. 8 does sound like quite a bit, huh?

So basically pleather = bad? I only got a yard, b/c the color on it was what I wanted. I don't really want something grayish, and of the two black PVCs I saw, one looked like dominatrix material and the other looked like a raincoat. Also, my corset is black, and I'm not getting a new one to go with the gray lol. I was lucky enough to find one for $19. Well, since the general consensus is that pleather means thicker needles, I think I'll try to find some PVC that's a better color. Maybe I should look online. (Does anyone know any fabric websites, by any chance?) And I know the difference between pleather and PVC, but where does vinyl stand in all this?

Thanks for the help guys. :) I appreciate it.

Alaria
02-04-2003, 02:56 PM
hmm the only prob with vinyl and pvc is that they're HOT. I dunno, the more flexible pleather if u can find it would be my go, but if not *scratches head* hmm, vinyl would be a lot less shinier than pvc, and less plastic looking

Something Lulu
02-04-2003, 03:34 PM
Flexible pleather, got it. I'll keep looking. I was hot just in regular fabric last year, so i can't imagine how it will be this coming summer. Thanks for the advice! ^_^

Something Lulu
02-05-2003, 02:13 AM
Okay, I just experimented with the pleather and made shorts for my Dita costume - except I can't wear them. @_@ They are waaay too slutty looking lol. Next time I think I'm going to have to make them a few inches longer. (That's what I get for using a bathing suit pattern lol. I don't know why I'm surprised.) However, they are pretty comfortable. Maybe I will invest in some thicker needles after all. I sewed this all by hand because I didn't want to risk messing up my machine.

I have to say I'm pretty proud of myself, considering I can't use these shorts for anything. (Unless I feel like wearing a leather swimsuit lol.) I actually used a pattern and didn't screw up, and sewed a garment - somewhat successfully - by hand. I hardly have any sewing skills so this is a big achievement for me. ^_^ Thanks again for all the help.

Alaria
02-05-2003, 02:24 AM
that's so cool! You have motivated me to try and start sewing my edea stuff, seeing as I also have very little sewing skills ^^ And hey, mebbe u'll find a character u like who has leather hot pants XD

Nine
02-07-2003, 01:31 AM
I GOT NEW PICTURES OF ME IN MY LULU COSTUME...I put on the fur hehe

http://nine3k1.ods.org/picsfeb2003/lulushot1.jpg

http://nine3k1.ods.org/picsfeb2003/lulushot2.jpg

Everytime I do something extra to the costume, I begin to dispise my first one even more..XD think the fur was a good choice? I think so :D

Alaria
02-07-2003, 02:27 AM
Nine!! That's looking so nice! :) The fur's color is great as is the shape :bigtu:

Nine
02-07-2003, 02:35 AM
Thank you so much!! I'm so happy with the shape. I just had ENOUGH from what I bought off the internet..so I was pretty lucky XD

Bell-chan
02-07-2003, 02:53 AM
meep >_< I haven't been participating in this thread much, but Nine, your Lulu costume is looking good! Even if the pictures are somewhat blurry, it's neat XD Nice fur choice. ^_^

Cheers to all the Lulu cosplayers! (I don't think I could ever make one! Poor poor skills...)

Nine
02-07-2003, 11:14 AM
Blame the blurryness on my 1 year old webcam.. ^^; When I get the costume finished, I'll get some pictures on film and get them developed.. hehe

Something Lulu
02-08-2003, 01:10 AM
Wow, Nine, it's looking really good! It's too bad I won't be able to see you at any cons.

I've realized that I really need to find a store in NYC that has sewing supplies. I just need some yellow thread!!! lol And I have no clue where to find it. @_@ Along with those thicker needles so I can use that pleather.

Mandy Mitchell
02-08-2003, 01:21 AM
Have you tried Jo-Ann's? They have a lot of locations in New York. Here's their link:

http://www.joann.com/

Something Lulu
02-08-2003, 01:27 AM
They have one that I used to go to when I still lived with my mom, but that was before I started cosplaying. She goes there a lot for quilting supplies. I tried them once a few months ago, but I was looking for fabrics and didn't really see anything I liked, and they tend to be real expensive. However, they do have a lot of good sales, and good supplies. So I'll see if they have anywhere closer to me. ^_^ Thanks for the link!

TyJILDown
02-08-2003, 02:30 AM
Something_Lulu, if only you lived closer to Nassau County, Fabric Mill by me has like everything >_<

Xx Lulu xX
02-09-2003, 05:29 PM

Can we do a head count?? I'd love to know how many Lulus are going to be at AX and/or at Otakon! Because I want to take pics of all of you!

*raises hand* Meeee, I'm going to be there, and stalking you, muwahahah *stalk stalk* lol j/k ;D it'll be a blast

Nine
02-09-2003, 11:09 PM
The fur and sleeves are attached to the main part of the costume... I couldn't sew it because it was too thick, and handsewing isn't strong enough... so I had to turn to safety pins.. XD There are 52 safety pins in total holding up the fur fabric to the main part and the sleeves to the fur fabric. I'm glad it isn't noticable! XD I will have to tape the safety pins shut so i dont get any unpleasent surprises.. ^^; Also, i'm super glad they aren't noticable. XD

Alaria
02-10-2003, 12:19 AM
O-o Nine-chan, have u tried fabric or epoxy glue?? So u don't have to worry about possible pokies

Something Lulu
02-10-2003, 12:53 AM
Do you think velcro would work? I attached the sleeves to the fur, and the fur to the front of the corset, and everything held together well. It also made it easier for me to dismantle parts when I got hot or wanted to eat. I could just tear off the sleeves. ^_^

Nine
02-10-2003, 01:27 AM
Yeah, safety pins sound like a bit extreme.. but when i tape them up im sure i wont have to worry about getting poked. The velcro could work if the fabric wasn't so heavy. I would use some sort of fabric glue but if I screw up (which tends to happen a lot) id be in big trouble :S

Something Lulu
02-10-2003, 01:39 AM
I don't think I'd be able to put on my costume if everything was connected lol. But then my sewing skills are not that high tech.

Alaria
02-10-2003, 02:01 AM
hmm, Nine, I dunno how exactly ur fur is but can't u handsew it on without piercing completely through the fur, so its not too difficult and the seam won't show on both sides? Perhaps use a thicker thread and sturdier needle while handsewing it?

Nine
02-10-2003, 03:20 AM
Something Lulu: I find it easier to put on the costume with everything connected. I just slip it over my head, put my arms in the sleeves and then put on the bustier. I then take the belts (which are a seperate skirt) and buckle that around my waist, connect the snaps that are on the inside of the dress to the snaps i put on the belts, and then I'm basically finished putting it on. ^^;

Alaria: The fur is like a tube of fur. I handsewed it with a really strong needle and thread but my handsewing is really weak and due to the weight of the fabric the threading got loose and it fell apart. The safety pins are actually working the best because seeing it's double layered, the pins dont show through the outside of the fur - and seeing I have so many pins in it, it's really strong. The tape will make sure they don't poke me hehe. I'm a master of safety pins in cosplay. For example, I use 2 in my BT costume to keep the turtle neck in place so it doesn't fold out... well hidden of course:)

On my old Lulu costume, I sewed it on with the sewing machine, and pulled the fur over the stitching to hide the the sewing. I was going to do that but the fabrics are too thick :(

On this Lulu costume you'd never guess that I used safety pins, that's how hidden they are. My mom was like "...what safety pins" when i asked her "Can you see the safety pins?" hehe

OH! BTW~! Congrats on 2000 posts, Alaria! :D

TyJILDown
02-11-2003, 12:03 AM
I found it easier to make everything separate, I would have a shit fit trying to put on a costume that was all one piece, such as Lulu's ^_^ I think making the sleeves separate from the whole costume with an elastic top was a life saver, plus it didn't show with the fur wrap worn/

Gawd...there's so many ways you could do this costume, it's insane!

Nine, btw, the new costume is looking FAB!!!

Nine
02-11-2003, 01:15 AM
Thanks TyJILDown :D

I know I explained how my costume is but I'm saying it again in an easier format ^^;

The Dress:
The whole dress is 3 pieces.
Piece One: Main Dress with sleeves and fur attached.
Piece Two: Bustier (This holds the dress up :))
Piece Three: Belt Skirt. I have it so I can buckle it around my waist, and have the bottom of the main dress attaches to the belts with snaps. If you can see my feet in the costume, I'll wear my womens boots. If not, I'll wear my comfy runners.

The Wig:
It's a long wig with long bangs. I put it up in a bun, and leave some hair to cover my face. I then wrap it in the same coloured yarn to make the bun larger, and then I have 4 long skinny braids of yarn with beads on the end for the braids that she has.

Accessories:
My list of accessories include:
3 Necklaces
1 Pair of Earings
4 Hairsticks
Purple/Pink Lipstick and other light make up
Purple Fake Nails (possibly.. lol)
Stockings
Black Womens Boots
1 pair of falsies
Cait Sith Plushie

I obviously wear the 3 necklaces. I have the earings on a string that go around my ear because I don't have pierced ears. the 4 hairsticks will be in the bun, and they will attach together at the tips inside the bun with a magnet of somesort for extra hold. The lipstick for my lips (obviously) and some light stuff for my face if i'm having a bad skin day. Possibly the fake purple nails for a laugh. The stockings with the floral design on them that will show through a hole in the belts. The Falsies will shape the bustier better... and finally my cait sith plushie to pose with! XD

..a lot ~_~

Nine
02-11-2003, 03:21 AM
I need some advice on a part of this hairstick.

How would I go around making the branching off bits of the stick. I was thinking out of paper, or something like that, but it may be difficult to incorporate paper with the fimo. I was also thinking fimo, but because these a thin it may break, and if that happened I'd be SO mad. any ideas?

Alaria
02-11-2003, 04:51 PM
I took those twisty wires and formed sculpey around them to make the flowery shape. The wire helped maintain the form, and didn't melt when I baked it ^^

Dia
02-11-2003, 04:57 PM
For mine, I made the separate little curved "petals" first from Sculpey, then baked them for half the time suggested. Then I took them out and fashioned them with the rest of the decoration on the end of that hairstick and baked it for the full time. It worked quite well, actually.

TyJILDown
02-11-2003, 08:19 PM
Those petals, I actually took thin sheet metal, cut it to shape, & glued them to the end of the stick while bending them slightly to give them a curved looked.

Akimi
02-11-2003, 11:37 PM
I'm already done with the three hairpins. And yeah, that's also the last hairpin I'm left to do (the one with the flower thingy and a big red bead) ^_^;; I am also working on the braids and beads. It's going so well. I am so excited XDDD. I'll probably wear it sometime in April. I still have lots of time so I am kinda slacking around eheh...but everything is planned now. In the meantime, i am playing FFX ^^

Alaria
02-12-2003, 01:11 AM
eep any luck with the mog akimi? I've been looking everywhere and can't find it, but I found a cait sith if u want!

Nine
02-12-2003, 06:28 AM
Ok.. I'm going to have a huge dilema with carring things... so I was thinking of making a hidden pocket somewhere in the costume. The problem is that I can't really figure out anywhere to put a hidden pocket.. XD What have you done to carry things around. I will be carrying a camera, and possibly a wallet. I may refrain from going to buy anything in my lulu costume, though.. ^^; My camera has a thing to put it around your neck, but it's so bulky ~_~

Alaria
02-12-2003, 11:31 AM
Lol, I had someone carrying part of my stuff; this time since I'm pushing my plushies in a Lulu-tailored stroller, everything's going in there. But a pocket I'd say u could either put up one of ur sleeves, or on the inside of the skirt next to the opening for Lulu's thigh. Either one would certainly make things interesting ;) My other suggestion would just make a purse that goes with ur costume

Rosiel
02-12-2003, 11:36 AM
> The problem is that I can't really figure out anywhere to put a hidden pocket..

Doesn't she carry a plushie? Make it partially hollow and stuff things in it. I did that with the skull I had to carry around with one of my Rosiel costumes. Why carry dead weight? I hollowed it out and used it as a purse. I could fit money, keys, and my camera (an Elph) easily in it.

Something Lulu
02-12-2003, 12:39 PM
I just carried a small black purse with me for all of my costumes. However, since I ended up getting a really weird tan on my shoulders from wearing it with Lulu, I might need to consider something else.

Alaria
02-12-2003, 12:47 PM
Rosiel: lol that's a cool idea but I would do that to a plushie that I make...I'd feel rather odd ripping the stuffing out of my poor mog or cactuar o-o

Akimi
02-12-2003, 06:00 PM
eep any luck with the mog akimi? I've been looking everywhere and can't find it, but I found a cait sith if u want!

well, my mom said that she knows how to make stuffed toys, so I will probably ask her to make me a mog. Ey, do you have a link for a pic of the Caith Sith doll by any chance? =) Thanks so much!! I really appreciate it. (awesome avy btw Alaria. I wish I could do Lulu as good as you!!)

And about the camera thingies..lol, since I will be cosplaying with my sister (who will be Rikku, btw). The camera would be attached to her thigh. lol, remember that mini bag thingy in Rikku's thigh? My camera case is similar to that, although a bit smaller XD

EDIT- Nine!! Thanks for the comment on my rinoa piccy. mwah!

Alaria
02-12-2003, 06:35 PM
Akimi *shakes head* its in the store down the road, but its only 20 dollars (I got one too ^^) so I could ship it to u, which would cost alot less than getting it from an online store

Nine
02-12-2003, 07:03 PM
Akimi - No problem! :D

I was thinking of making a plushie with the costume with a hollow inside so I can put stuff in it... but I really really suck at making small plush things. ^^; ....and there is no way that i'm taking apart my Cait Sith plushie XD

I may make a bag thingy that can fit money, my cait sith plush and a camera.. now I have to figure out how to make a bag XD It shouldn't be too difficult.

Akimi
02-12-2003, 07:17 PM
Akimi *shakes head* its in the store down the road, but its only 20 dollars (I got one too ^^) so I could ship it to u, which would cost alot less than getting it from an online store

cool!Oh how I wish we have stores like that here. Well, you could PM me the total price of shipping and all. And see if I can afford to get it soon (i got a lot of expenses these days)^^;; how big is it? Thanks so much again.

Hmm..i think improvising these plushies into bags is a great idea.

Alaria
02-12-2003, 07:33 PM
ish very small and lite; where is ur exact location so I can get a shipping estimate?

Akimi
02-12-2003, 07:51 PM
I'm from the Philippines. Near Manila =) thanks.

TyJILDown
02-12-2003, 10:37 PM
Nine, you can easily make a little "pocket" that is like a garter, attached to your thigh and has a side zip pocket. I see some sites sell them but they can easily be made just making a pouch and attaching thick elastic to it.

Mandy Mitchell
02-12-2003, 11:23 PM
Whenever I cosplay, I just carry my mini-backpack and my camera with me wherever I go. Just be careful to keep an eye on your belongings when you take pictures. As for my Rikku toolkit (the black pouch which hangs on her right thigh), I never used it to hold anything. I just stuffed it with paper and cardboard to give the toolkit its shape.

Xx Lulu xX
02-13-2003, 12:30 AM
Hahah..o.o yeah the pic attached is me w/ mah lulu make up...more like a test

Alaria
02-13-2003, 12:35 AM
Mandy: I know what u mean someone took my FFXI soundtrack last year at AX o-o
XxLuluxX: ur makeup looks great!

Xx Lulu xX
02-13-2003, 12:36 AM

XxLuluxX: ur makeup looks great!

Awww Alaria, your too sweet

Nine
02-13-2003, 02:20 AM
Awesome makeup! :D I'll probably be stealing some of my moms makeup for my Lulu hehe.

...the hairsticks just came out of the oven and wow.. I didn't think that I would beable to make them so well! XD Especially the purple one with the rose on the tip and the one I asked about on how to make the petal, branch off things. I would take pictures because they're all white, the webcam doesn't really capture it very well. I'll be painting them tomorrow so by tomorrow I should have pics! I hope they aren't too heavy though hehe

Nine
02-13-2003, 11:02 PM
I finished the hairsticks. They turned out better than I thought!

http://nine3k1.ods.org/picsfeb2003/lulusticks1.jpg
http://nine3k1.ods.org/picsfeb2003/lulusticks2.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality, my webcam is starting to die.. :S

Collie
02-13-2003, 11:20 PM
I love them Nine! Mrow~!
~*~Collie~*~

Xx Lulu xX
02-13-2003, 11:22 PM
Wow~! Nine Kick Ass~!

Akimi
02-14-2003, 12:21 AM
awesome hairsticks Nine!! if i show you guys what i did so far..you might laugh at it. lol. ^^;;; But what i like best among my hairsticks is the one with blue flowers on the edge thingy..^^

Something Lulu
02-14-2003, 12:58 AM
Wow, Nine! Nice job! Did you make them all out of sculpy in the end?

Mandy Mitchell
02-14-2003, 02:00 AM
Alaria: Ugh! I can't believe some jerk would steal your FFXI soundtrack!

Nine: Those a really nice hairsticks!

Alaria
02-14-2003, 02:39 AM
Nine: Awesome hairsticks hun! Ur right, the flower one turned out esp lovely :)
Akimi: We'd never laugh ^^ I'm sure they look fantabulous
Mandy: ara, I know, but it certainly was an effective lesson