PDA

View Full Version : Feminizing Masculine Characters- Your thoughts

Nightshade
12-23-2003, 01:39 PM
For my first con I've decided to go as a male character, however, instead of trying to crossplay him I'm going to try and create a female version of the character.

What I'm wondering is how this would be viewed by the rest of the Con goers.

Do you think this would be rejected simply because it does not follow the "rules" of crossplay/cosplay?

Or would it be considered an original spin on a male character?

Just curious as to what ya'all think. I hope this is the right folder for the question. :cool:

Koumori
12-23-2003, 02:20 PM
People do it all the time. I don't care for it, as I think it messes too much with the character as conceived and written.

cube
12-23-2003, 03:20 PM
I lost count how many times people have done a "female version" of Squall.

evaneko
12-23-2003, 03:40 PM
I'm not all that crazy about it- but it can work. Some people can really pull it off well. People do it all the time.

Kuri-chan
12-23-2003, 03:43 PM
Eh, your mileage may vary on reactions. It has been done, so yes it can be done, and no one would try to lynch you for sacrilege. I suppose it would mostly depend on how much of the character traits and costume is focused around their gender.

Personally, Iím not very fond of the idea since itís such a dramatic change to the character youíre portraying. Iíd prefer to crossplay the costume rather than alter the character.

To think of it another way, would it bother you if someone made a male version of a female character you happened to especially like?

-Kuri

Nightshade
12-23-2003, 03:50 PM
To think of it another way, would it bother you if someone made a male version of a female character you happened to especially like?

-Kuri

Actually no it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. In fact I'd be very curious to see how they they did it. I would look at it as a challenge for the person creating the costume.

I intend to hold very close to the characters look and such, with only a few exceptions. I guess it's more of a tribute to the character v.s. actually trying to cosplay/crossplay him.

AND no worries it's not Squall. lol

Nightshade
12-23-2003, 03:53 PM
People do it all the time. I don't care for it, as I think it messes too much with the character as conceived and written.

Ahhh Koumori you purist you! ;)

BTW I love your recent Sailor Pluto christmas pics

Kuri-chan
12-23-2003, 04:30 PM
Actually no it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. In fact I'd be very curious to see how they they did it. I would look at it as a challenge for the person creating the costume.
Good attitude. I actually agree, but I thought it would be appropriate to pose the question. ^_^ Maybe Iíll try it someday for a challenge. (Rinoa as a boi? NahÖ)

I guess it's more of a tribute to the character v.s. actually trying to cosplay/crossplay him.
Ah-ha! When you put it that way, it seems a lot more reasonable. I would still prefer to crossplay, but just like crossplay so long as itís done tastefully, I can't see anything wrong with it. Go for it, and have fun with it. ^_^

Besides, when it comes down to it, why should the opinion of a few purists (my self included) dictate how you celebrate a character? If some one complains, you can find a lady-Squall or three to defend your honor. ^_-

-Kuri

Koumori
12-23-2003, 04:38 PM
Ahhh Koumori you purist you! ;)

BTW I love your recent Sailor Pluto christmas pics

Thpth. ;) And thanks! Marabou is fun. :)

The thing is, I don't have a huge problem with altering colors, hemlines, what have you on a character, but for some reason switching genders really rubs me the wrong way. I think it's as if messing with the outfit is no big deal - it's just clothes - but messing with the gender makes it into a different character, and then what's the point?

Nightshade
12-23-2003, 04:50 PM
Thanks Kuri-Chan, I hope to be able to pull it off, but I guess it all remains to be seen. GRIN
I don't think I'll need a Lady-Squall do defend me, but just in case it's good to have back up. HEE HEE HEE

Koumori, you ask what the point would be of changing the gender. I can only think of one response and that is to see if it is possible to create a female version of a character that folks can recognize. Ugh did that make sense? lol

T4uRu$k4tt
12-23-2003, 06:19 PM
well, i'm in the process of doing this right now with my "femme-kilik" (a character from the soul calibur 2 game). i decided to do it and it's "femme" for several reasons: mainly because i really like the character and character design i wanted to do it, also because i had many of the materials on-hand, and as for why i'm not straight *crossplaying him*? well...that has to do with the open shirt mainly o.O

i was origionally going to sew/attach the front shut, but 1) i messed up and used the wrong vest front pattern and 2) it was a lucky thing i messed up and used the wrong pattern, because i wouldn't have had enough material to do the shoulders if i hadn't ^^;;

and for me it's definately the challange of making it recognizablely kilik even tho i'm a girl, i haven't posted pictures of it up yet, but the shoulder parts that i've added look *really* nice, after christmas i'll finish the belt and post more pics, add the weapon and his scar come con time and personally i think it's pretty darn recognizable! (at least to anyone who's played the game)

as for what i'd do if i saw a boy make a 'male version' of a girl? well, if it were a girl from this game the first thing i think i'd do is smile and giggle a lot, lol! i think as long as i felt like that person wasn't trying to maliciously make fun of the character by doing so i would probably be really happy they did a character i know and would probably be running over to give them props and go talk to them and stuff, i guess it's all about how much effort they put into it and what they were going for for me.

its a little different comparison tho, because while some girls do things like the female squall just to be sexy i'm sure, other girls do it (like me) because they honestly like the character alot. (and, maybe they all ran out of fabric too XP)

so...i guess i should apologize a little if my femme-kilik just looks like i'm trying to be sexy, LoL...as i'm sure it will look to some. but *I* know my real reasons for doing it, and heck, sometimes it's a bonus to get to walk around in a costume people think is sexy, esp since i'll be putting some real time and money into it, so no complaints here... :p

~katt

Koumori
12-23-2003, 07:14 PM
Koumori, you ask what the point would be of changing the gender. I can only think of one response and that is to see if it is possible to create a female version of a character that folks can recognize. Ugh did that make sense? lol

Sure, it makes sense - but to me that makes it a different character. Like I said, that's only my opinion, and judging by the number of femme-Vashes I see running around, plenty of other people have no problem with it. ;)

Karisu-sama
12-23-2003, 07:21 PM
There's only one male character I ever considered doing a more "female" version of (and I haven't done it): Sagara Sanosuke from "Kenshin". The reason - it's not just open shirt, he's bare chested. Extending his waist wrap all the way up the chest would absolutely look like "girl-binding" no matter what one does.

But yeah, people do it all the time. I think it's Daitenshi who has a "female version Vash" with a short coat instead of long. This year at AX some very giggly large-busted girl was being interviewed in the dealer's room by some dumb TV station - I would absolutely NEVER have recognized her as crossplaying Enishi (from Kenshin) had she not mentioned it, because she did not bind and the costume was designed to - if anything - ENHANCE all her very female curvy assets. ("I'm actually being a guy" quoth she. Yeah, riiiiight.)

It's not the same character, it's sort of an "alternate-universe what-if" type of thing, as I see it.

A DDR LeGend
12-24-2003, 02:50 AM
Eh, your mileage may vary on reactions. It has been done, so yes it can be done, and no one would try to lynch you for sacrilege. I suppose it would mostly depend on how much of the character traits and costume is focused around their gender.

Personally, Iím not very fond of the idea since itís such a dramatic change to the character youíre portraying. Iíd prefer to crossplay the costume rather than alter the character.

-Kuri

yeah, i wonder sometimes how many fanboy dreams are ruined by me and my mockery of their idols

*evil laugh*

the female versions of popular characters usually go well. i tend to like the female vash folks, they always seem to liven up the party

Nightshade
12-24-2003, 10:12 AM
I must admit that a big reason for my "feminizing" this particular character has more to do with my limited budget and a lack of a sewing machine, then anything else. (I'm in the process of buying a house, so I don't have a lot of expendable income. Plus I have no room in my stinky dinky little apartment for a sewing machine.) lol

Now to be totally honest tho', I kind of like the idea of adding a bit of female sex appeal to this character, however, it is not my primary motivation for doing this.

I guess I won't really "be" the character but I hope to at least do a decent Tribute to him.

I would absolutely NEVER have recognized her as crossplaying Enishi (from Kenshin) had she not mentioned it
Karisu-Sama, my hope is to create a costume that is easily recognizable as the character despite the female aspect. I can totally understand your dismay at the "Lady Einishi's" attempt.

K9nekomata
12-24-2003, 07:37 PM
I must admit that a big reason for my "feminizing" this particular character has more to do with my limited budget and a lack of a sewing machine, then anything else. (I'm in the process of buying a house, so I don't have a lot of expendable income. Plus I have no room in my stinky dinky little apartment for a sewing machine.) lol

Now to be totally honest tho', I kind of like the idea of adding a bit of female sex appeal to this character, however, it is not my primary motivation for doing this.

I guess I won't really "be" the character but I hope to at least do a decent Tribute to him.

I would absolutely NEVER have recognized her as crossplaying Enishi (from Kenshin) had she not mentioned it
Karisu-Sama, my hope is to create a costume that is easily recognizable as the character despite the female aspect. I can totally understand your dismay at the "Lady Einishi's" attempt.
Hello Hello, I just wanted to get into the discussion. I think sometimes making your own version of a character is really cool, shows creativity, and allows someone to be their fav character even though they wont want to crossplay or crossplay maybe impossible (namely Felicia). I have way more fav female characters than male anime characters, and I will be making male version of those female characters, but im gonna represent them the best I can, show my creativity, and make sure I look really cool. I havent cosplayed yet but Im gonna start out strong. The first character im goin to be is my all time fav Hsienko from Darkstalkers. There isnt much to change, all I have to do is get rid of the open chest part of the outfit, and I have an option of changing the bow around her waist to something more masculine, but after I eliminate the open chest thing, Its gonna be fine either way. When you think about it a male version of a female character can look kinda cool. Im gonna convince my friend to be his all time fav Felicia also from Darkstalkers. All he has to do is get the hair, ears, tail, paws, and furry feet, and he can where some knee high shorts and a cool neko or felicia shirt to boot, and I bet everyone there will get the Idea.

dani
12-25-2003, 03:25 AM
I think this presents an interesting exercise on observation and creativity.

We only actually "see" a portion of what we think we see. The rest gets filled by our brains. We do it when we read and in almost every activity.

So the exercise in observation is to try to isolate the particular characteristics that define a character, and use them as "cues". Cartoonists do it every day when they do a caricature of a famous person. They just blow up a defining trademark (like a particular nose shape, for example) and doesn't matter much how they fill up the rest.

Once you have the defining cues of your character it's up to your creativity to complete the costume with pieces that may differ from the original (for example in gender) without calling much attention to them.

Hope this makes sense.... it's after 3 in the morning.....

Best of luck

Dani

Olivia
12-25-2003, 04:15 AM
I lOvE making feminized dude costumes. It's creative, and chances are, no one's gonna be walking around in the same female-version of whoever you're cosplaying/crossplaying (whichever would fit best) as, so it would be great on the originality points :bigtu:

As long as you still know who your cosplaying/crossplaying/oh-to-hell-with-it-I-don't-know-which-one-to-use-in-that-phrase, it's "all good." :dance:

T4uRu$k4tt
12-26-2003, 03:59 PM
looks like everythings nearly been said that can be said about this, so i think i won't worry as much about my female version of a male character now that i know there are at least a few out there that will understand the reasoning (granted, i know i wouldn't care anyway, unless someone actually makes a smart remark to me about doing it for the sex appeal factor when i'm wearing it. then i might have to give them a lil evil eye)

dani~ it makes perfect sense, i actually like the combination of observation and creativity. i'm not 'altering' the costume much, only the body it has to fit on, so i think it requires just as much work as being accurate with a same-gender cosplay, perhaps more.

Drackt
03-14-2004, 11:27 AM
It does sound like a cool idea...

And I'm planning on doing it with the Moriarity costume I'll do one of these days. Why? Well, it kinda struck me when I was looking on the Takarazuka website one day....
http://kageki.hankyu.co.jp/star/flower/img/haruno_05.jpg
Sumire Haruno, pimped out...
http://www.angelfire.com/celeb/richardroxburgh/p/lxg/l5.jpg
Mori near the end of the movie...

Hmm..that would look a bit interesting....

RoxieRocket
03-18-2004, 12:03 AM
The first character im goin to be is my all time fav Hsienko from Darkstalkers. There isnt much to change, all I have to do is get rid of the open chest part of the outfit, and I have an option of changing the bow around her waist to something more masculine, but after I eliminate the open chest thing, Its gonna be fine either way. When you think about it a male version of a female character can look kinda cool. Im gonna convince my friend to be his all time fav Felicia also from Darkstalkers. All he has to do is get the hair, ears, tail, paws, and furry feet, and he can where some knee high shorts and a cool neko or felicia shirt to boot, and I bet everyone there will get the Idea.

Hehe I love Hsien-Ko... I'd suggest wearing a red Kungfu-style jacket (but with the huge sleeves) and a yellow sash instead of the dress/bow.

But that's just because I love kung fu jackets. :p

DeadLegato
03-18-2004, 12:12 AM
If you're going to do it, I can't stop you, and I wouldn't want to... here are just some things I've noticed "feminized" characters done that makes it look like you're mutiliating the character instead of doing something cool.

1. Don't just slap a short skirt on and a pair of fishnets. Put more effort into it than THAT. (relatively irritated with the glut of female "Wolfwood" cosplayers who seem to be unable to cover their legs with pants, and are doing nothing but forsaking the pants).
2. Feminizing a masculine character is not an excuse to show off your "impressive cleavage." You should have just been a woman doing the male character if that's your only reason to feminize.
3. Stop it with the fishnets. You're not in the rocky horror picture show. End of discussion.

I'll give an example. Good female Vash: May have shortened up the skirt, or gone with shorter or more ruffled sleeves. Put more curve into the hips, perhaps, too.
Bad female Vash: Is essentially wearing a red top and mini skirt with a flap covered in buttons sewn on the front and called it "Vash." I'm happy to say I've seen more good female Vashes than bad. With a lot of female Wolfwoods... you can't tell who they are if you take away the cross punisher, honestly. I did see one that did a miniskirt with little silver crosses adorning the pleats, and that was creative. Just wearing a miniskirt with Wolfwood because you're "too hot" for pants is not an excuse.

That said, think carefully, and put a good amount of work into thinking of exactly how you're going to feminize the character, and it will turn out great!