PDA

View Full Version : Yu-Gi-Oh! Battle City Duel Disks Help

RobbyKun
12-27-2011, 04:54 PM
I've been taking a stroll down memory lane lately and found myself getting back into Yu-Gi-Oh!, and decided it'd be cool to cosplay from it. So next year I plan to be Seto Kaiba and I managed to convince my gf to be Yugi Muto/Pharaoh.

I managed to get my hands on the Mattel Duel Disk toys that they made a long time ago, and noticed that the panels are hollow instead of flat like the anime/manga.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Rob0928/IMAG0292.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Rob0928/IMAG0293.jpg

I know I could probably just ignore it, since I will most likely be showing the front/top of the Duel Disks when I'm getting pictures taken, but as anal as I am about detail, this will bother me alot.

I was wondering if anyone have any ideas of how to cover up the underside of it, without looking too cheap or rushed? Any help will be greatly appreciated! :)

Richi-Style
12-27-2011, 05:47 PM
i would go to home depot and see if they have any panels or something and cut to shape and glue it
maybe u can use plexiglass

RobbyKun
12-27-2011, 10:08 PM
i would go to home depot and see if they have any panels or something and cut to shape and glue it
maybe u can use plexiglass

Hmm that sounds like a pretty good idea. What could I use to seal the edges and everything with?

jawsisra
12-30-2011, 12:39 PM
If you ever want to try and make your self your own there are a lot of videos on Youtube of people making the battle city style. I seen a few that look just like the show a lot better then the toy

RobbyKun
01-03-2012, 12:18 PM
If you ever want to try and make your self your own there are a lot of videos on Youtube of people making the battle city style. I seen a few that look just like the show a lot better then the toy

Yeah, I found out the toy is filled with inaccuracies, and not just the underneath portion either. UGH >__<

But it wasn't easy for me to acquire the Duel Disks toy that I have, so I'm just going to have to work with them for now, and try to fill in as many parts they missed as possible, and give them a good repainting too.

Still won't be 100% show accurate, but they'll look alot better than they do right now.

Akune-chan
01-03-2012, 01:14 PM
I actually took a few photos with the toy itself and you cannot see the "inaccuracies" that you guys are talking about :(

It looks fine just the way it is. According to Wiki (I know not a reliable source but) the only differences between the toy and the anime is that the toy cannot hold as many cards for 50+ decks and the graveyard is a bit small (plus bending the cards but honestly none of my cards were bent when I was test using it)

But on the duel disk you snagged, you are just missing the red triangle sticker. Maybe using cardboard would work to make the bottom smooth? Its pretty cheap and affordable and if done right would look good. :)

RobbyKun
01-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Yeah, like I said before, if I can't find a way to cover up that bottom part, I'll leave it the way it is, since like you mentioned hardly anyone will see it anyways. Any physical/cosmetic alterations I do to the Duel Disks are just to fulfil my OCD for details, haha. :P

The triangle sticker was actually like a dark blue, and I peeled it off since it was badly worn out. I will be painting it back on for sure.

Yeah, cardboard or mat board are some easy options I'll consider using as well. :)

verdatum
01-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Yeah, hardware stores should have plexiglass, and hobby shops stock sheet polystyrene.

You'd probably want to go with epoxy as your adhesive. use coarse sand paper (80-100 grit) on any surfaces that will have glue on them.

The hardest part would probably be colormatching the paint. You may have to mask the thing off and repaint all the grey areas to your new grey or silver color.

RobbyKun
01-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Yeah, hardware stores should have plexiglass, and hobby shops stock sheet polystyrene.

You'd probably want to go with epoxy as your adhesive. use coarse sand paper (80-100 grit) on any surfaces that will have glue on them.

The hardest part would probably be colormatching the paint. You may have to mask the thing off and repaint all the grey areas to your new grey or silver color.

I'll keep this tip in mind :)

And yeah, I already plan on repainting the entire thing with either aluminum or white like in the manga, since I'm not fond of the "toy grey" that it's already being plagued with.

Akune-chan
01-03-2012, 02:28 PM
I barely remember what mine looked like and I just got it xD
-its around here somewhere-
But you're right its actually a dark blue. xD

Good luck! Cannot wait to see the finished product!

RobbyKun
01-03-2012, 02:53 PM
I barely remember what mine looked like and I just got it xD
-its around here somewhere-
But you're right its actually a dark blue. xD

Good luck! Cannot wait to see the finished product!

Thank you! :) I'll be sure to post pics of it whenever I'm through with them.

Awesome Orochimaru cosplays btw :)