PDA

View Full Version : Noble collection wands question

danceswithkoala
12-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Hi, I'm cosplaying Luna next year (and possibly also Ginny) and looking into wands. I've seen a few people saying that the noble collection wands are no good for cosplayers, is that accurate? Does anyone have any further information on that/what it is about them that makes them unsuitable? I don't want to choose/commission something else just to have the exact same problem!

Thanks!

Lucifer
12-30-2011, 05:13 PM
I own several of the noble collection wands and they are simply wonderful. All my friends who cosplay from Harry Potter use them, and I've yet heard anyone say anything against it.

Cloudtail4ever
01-02-2012, 02:20 PM
I don't know much about the Noble Collection's Wands, but if you're concerned, I'd recommend going with a wand from Alivans (Alivans.com). That's where I got my Hermione wand, and it's absolutely gorgeous!
However, NC props always have amazing quality, so you're probably safe going with them as well.

llewell
01-02-2012, 05:42 PM
I have Hermione wand from Noble Collection (however it's France part of Noble Collection). It's really beautiful ! Some of my friend have also noble collection wand and they are happy too.

The only thing who is bad : there is "WB Harry Potter" written on it (but it's small and it's on all official harry potter product). On light wand (like Voldemort one) it can be a problem, we see the words. On dark wand it is OK, we don't see it (Hermione wand it's quite ok so i think luna wand is ok).

Nicoletta
01-05-2012, 04:17 PM
The only issue I would have as a cosplayer is that the Noble wands are made of acrylic. This can make then quite fragile and they will break easily if you sit/step on them or hit them against anything. Some wands are better for this than others. For example, Harry's wand is fairly thick and less prone to break. I have had a few friends who broke the Elder Wand, as it is thin in sections. A wooden wand would be much more durable. If you are cosplaying for photos, I'd go with Noble, but if it's a Con and you may get jostled around, go with a sturdy wooden wand.

ayaasan
01-05-2012, 07:48 PM
You can also make your own wand, just as an option :) I had most of the supplies around the house, so it was the cheaper route and a chance to play with paper-clay, lol.

I made my Luna wand with a wooden dowel core, and then went over it with paper-clay and carved in the details--including the wood grain!- with a wet pin and toothpick. (wet to prevent crumbles!) When it was dry, I sanded it moderately smooth, went over it with a layer of modge podge to seal it, then sprayed it with a base layer of pale yellow paint. After the spray-paint dried, I "antiqued" it with some dark brown acrylic paint that filled in the detail work and artificial wood grain and added a nice stain. For a finishing touch I added a final patina of black for the carving at the handle, and then sealed everything with two coats of spray gloss varnish. It's as hard as a rock and lasted no problem all day at pyscho busy San Diego Comic Con. ;)

Here are the results:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2866951/

Garuda_Aiacos
01-09-2012, 07:23 AM
The only issue I would have as a cosplayer is that the Noble wands are made of acrylic.

I thot Resin?

Ya, NC Wands are accurate and great for photos but for times when you might drop it like at Cons or lend for awhile to kids for photos with you, it might not be durable enough. My friend broke a bit her Harry Wand when she dropped it.

Nicoletta
01-11-2012, 10:23 AM
I thot Resin?

Ya, NC Wands are accurate and great for photos but for times when you might drop it like at Cons or lend for awhile to kids for photos with you, it might not be durable enough. My friend broke a bit her Harry Wand when she dropped it.

You are entirely correnct, they are resin. My brain must have been asleep that day. The result is still the same; brittle wands.

jawsisra
01-16-2012, 10:04 PM
I looked into geting the NC for my wand and I end up going with the Toys because the NC wands broke to offten. I try to repair it my self but it did not work. I would go either wooden ones or the toys. Sure the Toys are not as relistic as the ones from the movies but if you are going to be swinging it around a lot it better then breaking your wand to much. And we all know what happens when you break your wand all spells backfire

Neelh
07-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Hang on, the official collector's item ones?

I don't wave them a lot, but they're good for gently poking my brother.