PDA

View Full Version : Elegant Gothic Lolita fabrics and colors?

KuroBara
12-27-2003, 11:41 PM
Hello,
I'm planning to make one of Polaris's EGL outfits from X-Day. For those who have made EGL dresses before, which fabrics work best? Since it's a manga, all of the pics are in black and white. I'll make the main part of the dress black, but do the trims and accents need to be white? Are other colors found in EGL fashions? I'd like to use a cream or pastel color.

Thanks for your help!

Miaka No Baka
12-28-2003, 12:22 AM
I used a nice peachskin for my xmas themed one. It adds a tiny hint of sheen without the whole satiny look and it feels nice and soft. Cotton would work good too but i've found some cottons aren't very nice and soft so it all depends on the look you're going for. EGL can be anything really, but they tend to stick to darker colors (maroon, dark green, black, navy blue) but some designs are done in floral print when they're going for the more lolita look. It depends if the costume is more on the gothic side or more on the lolita side. I don't think there'd be anything wrong with a cream colored trim or a pastel color, just use your best judgement and if you do happen to find a color picture then you'll finally know for sure what color the costume truly is. Not everything that's colored black in manga is truly black, it can be any dark color so use your imagination!

Miaka no Baka

Kitten
12-28-2003, 03:49 AM
Could you post a picture, possibly? :thumbsup: I'd offer some advice, but it'd probably be better if I knew what I was talking about. XD

Koumori
12-28-2003, 09:28 AM
Since the pictures are in black and white, YOU get to choose the colors. That's the beauty of it. ;) Look through some of the Gothic & Lolita Bibles to see what other color choices are often used - there are plenty of options.

KuroBara
12-28-2003, 02:19 PM
Thank you for all of your suggestions. I attempted to scan some images, but it didn't end well. The outfit I chose is more Elegant Gothic than sweet or country lolita. It's a solid dark color with a poofy skirt that ends above the knees. There's lots of ruffles, pearl buttons, a pearl choker, a head covering (no idea what those are called) and a purse.

I just thought black was the standard for dresses like this, but if other dark colors are found in EGL fashions I'd just as soon make it a deep red or burgundy. I know I can choose my own colors, but I wanted to keep it true to EGL style. Thanks for your suggestions, I'll keep an eye out for Gothic & Lolita bibles!

HuongStar
12-30-2003, 12:21 PM
If possible, find a very high-quality Egyptian cotton or sateen cotton twill (more matte than regular satin, durable, and looks dressy) for your EGL dress. Typically, the EGL palette is very dark and rich but as Koumori said, you have free reign since manga is in b&w.

Colors other than black often seen in EGL (gothic) garments: burgandy, navy blue, forest green, charcoal, white, cream

Lilli
12-30-2003, 02:23 PM
I tend to prefer cotton velvets for EGL fashions. If it's like outerwear, then old victorian-looking upholstery fabric rocks... (like as if you shot and skinned your great grandmother's sofa or something.) But yes, for the most part things made out of velvets catch my attention as being especially pretty. Shiny satins just don't look right at all to me in lolita fashions. I remember spazzing about that with someone else in some long ago post actually, lol.

KuroBara
01-03-2004, 09:05 AM
*laughs* No shiny satin for me! Thanks for your input everyone. I'm leaning towards either a nice cotton (as per HuongStar's suggestion) or velvet. Actually, I'd really like the velvet that isn't extremely fuzzy, is that peachskin?

This is a costume without a con, so I have a lot of time and flexibility to making it exactly how I want it. I'm choosing a burgundy and cream palette, and pearls with an antiqued off-white finish.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.

Miaka No Baka
01-03-2004, 09:14 AM
peachskin is a 100% polyester fabric. It has a very mild sheen look too it only when you look at it in the light you can see a very faint sheen line, not like satin where you always can see a sheen line. It's very soft and silky to the touch. A bit on the thin side but if you line it properly it's nice. I've attached an image of my xmas themed EGL which the red coat/shirt was made out of peachskin. Also the white ruffles on the coat are also peachskin.

Miaka no Baka

HuongStar
01-05-2004, 09:27 AM
KuroBara, you are look for velveteen. It doesn't have a thick pile like regular velvet and is much easier to work with, in my opinion. ^_^