PDA

View Full Version : TF2 Soldier rocket launcher?

Pickslide1992
01-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. I'm planning on going as a Red Soldier from TF2 as my next cosplay and I'm stuck on doing his rocket launcher. Keep in mind I'm up for doing any of his rocket launchers (The stock rocket launcher, Direct Hit, Black Box), so hopefully anyone here who were Soldiers will point me in the right direction.

verdatum
01-02-2012, 01:33 PM
You'll probably want to ask some more specific questions or you won't get many responses. Reference photos are also helpful. If you haven't yet, look at the How to post in the Props/Acessories/Armor Forum (http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=259256) for more advice on how to get the most useful responses.

Pickslide1992
01-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'm kind of new at this. I did check that post out to see if someone already posted something that could help. There was one, but it was more of a CoD/military rocket launcher, not so much one Soldier uses.

I did look for some reference pics and I thought the Black Box would be the easiest to do (It helps I use it a lot in game as well). I have tried looking for tutorials on Google and other places, but the only TF2 weapons I could find tutorials for were Heavy's minigun and Scout's Force-a-Nature. (The latter of which is helpful since my bro's going as a Scout soon).

Anyway, something like this.

http://tf2-base.com/style/image/Black%20Box.png

Ivyna J. Spyder
01-02-2012, 08:28 PM
I made this one recently, it wasn't too hard, but then I have access to a lot of useful power tools :O

Here tis' http://ivynajs.deviantart.com/art/Prop-The-Black-Box-274972296

You can see at the bottom what it's made out of.

What sort of tools do you have access to?

Pickslide1992
01-02-2012, 09:13 PM
First off, holy crap that is awesome.

Secondly, I don't have any power tools personally but I can always borrow my old man's. Nothing fancy though. It says yours is made from rigid foam, paper mache and wood handles. Sounds easy enough. What tools did you use? Specifically, the part near the front handle?

Like I said, I'm a bit new to cosplaying and prop making in general (I only did one so far), so I wanted to do something a bit on the easy side.

Ivyna J. Spyder
01-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Let's see... Mainly I used a band saw, a wood routing table, and a scroll saw. Oh and lots of sandpaper! It helps to have an orbital sander of some kind if you don't want your hands falling off.

The end caps and covers are wood (poplar) and MDF. They were cut to size using a chop saw and band saw, then shaped with a rounding bit. We cut out the big circles by first drilling a large hole, then threading the blade on a scroll saw through and cutting out from the inside, if that makes sense o_o The round parts are a section of 4" PVC coupling I cut in half! I cut the holes so they'd fit perfectly. I attached the caps after I had covered the main body in paper mache (wood glue, water and newspaper) The hollowed out parts in the covers were doing using the router by hand.

I guess you could theoretically do the whole thing in foam if you wanted, I just wanted the extra durability wood gave me.

Oh one detail that isn't shown but is important- along the bottom there is a piece of wood along the entire length. The handles are screwed into it, as are the end caps. I routed out the bottom the exact width and thickness of the board so it's perfectly flush.

Pickslide1992
01-02-2012, 11:43 PM
I don't think I can thank you enough for that, Ivyna. I figured you'd use the paper mache as an outer shell because he paint would eat at the foam. Are there any measurements I should be aware about like how long it should be or how big the openings/end caps should be?

Ivyna J. Spyder
01-03-2012, 08:23 AM
You're welcome! As for the measurements... I scaled it to my height but it should be fine for just about anyone.

36" long total (not including covers)
7" x 7" wide/tall
The holes in the ends are about 4, 4 and a half inches? Whatever size the PVC is.
The end caps and covers are about an inch thick each (the thinner cover is like half an inch, the thick one is almost 2)

I've attached an outline of handles, they should be to scale (about 8 inches long). You can print em out on a regular sized paper as templates.

Pickslide1992
01-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Again, I can't thank you enough for this, man. I guess the least I can do is post pics when I'm done making it. ^_^