PDA

View Full Version : Under 18? (new age policy)

Darxim
12-29-2003, 12:14 PM
Is everyone aware of the new policy Katsucon has on people under 18?

From Katsucon.com:

"Effective immediately, any attendee aged 17 or younger must have permission from a parent or guardian to attend any event sponsored by Katsucon Entertainment, Inc.

The permission form, to be signed and presented at registration or mailed with a pre-registration form, is available on the Registration page."

If you're under 18, make sure you're ready for that. And tell your friends. We wouldn't want droves of people being turned away like at Nekocon. Well, considering the crowds last year, maybe we would.

UnwantedKikyo
12-29-2003, 12:41 PM
I mailed mine in ^_^ sux to be under 18 -_- *sighs*

DigitalCactus
12-29-2003, 02:10 PM
heh yeah us older folk needn't worry but it's good to see that a convention is taking precautions and showing some maturity.

Ryosuke
12-31-2003, 10:13 AM
Are the age restrictions only for over night? My friend and I are 15 and wouldn't be staying over, but could we still be unaccompanied during the day after our parents drop us off? They have given us permission.

Darxim
12-31-2003, 12:35 PM
You have to get the permission form signed by your parents in order to register. The convention doesn't have anything to do with your lodging arrangements, so whether or not you're staying overnight is irrelevant. Go over to the Katsucon website (http://katsucon.com), go to registration, and read up on it there. They won't let you register without it.

I don't know the details, but being 25, I don't have to. I just wanted to make sure everyone who does have to knows about it.

Sorahana
12-31-2003, 12:38 PM
We sent my pre-reg form and my permisson slip to them the other day wheeee! I'm so excited lol XD.

daguru
12-31-2003, 01:11 PM
wait a sec. does the above statement mean we need to get a permission slip and carry it around ALL WEEKEND showing it to gophers n' staff wherever we go?

UnwantedKikyo
12-31-2003, 02:32 PM
That would suck! but luckly the person im rooming with and hanging with is 22 so shes my guardian!!! haha but shes my friend. so yup yup!!! *glomps tora*

StormTroop#12
12-31-2003, 02:44 PM
Well I'm glad I turn 18 on Feb 4th. :bigtu:

Sorahana
12-31-2003, 02:46 PM
I read on the site that if you're under 16 you have to be accompanied by an adult while at the con but hey! I'm 16 so I don't need an adult with me *evil giggle*. I just needed to get the permission form signed and it along with my pre-reg is on its way to them ^_^.

Darxim
12-31-2003, 03:10 PM
wait a sec. does the above statement mean we need to get a permission slip and carry it around ALL WEEKEND showing it to gophers n' staff wherever we go?
No, you just need it to get your badge. Once you've got your badge, it's pretty obvious that it's been checked. Of course, this does mean you can't get a badge without the permission form.

I read on the site that if you're under 16 you have to be accompanied by an adult while at the con
I didn't see that. Where'd you see it?

Aer
12-31-2003, 03:24 PM
http://katsucon.com/Katsu10/general_rules.php

"Unaccompanied Minors
All children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Any childunder the age of 16 found at the convention without an adult present will beconsidered "Abandoned" and will be turned over to the proper authorities."

I have two people coming with me who are just under 16, being 16 myself, would it be allowed for them to walk around with me? In other words, would someone 16 and over be considered an "adult" to them? =/

Stueypark
12-31-2003, 04:20 PM
Legally an adult is 18 or over.

Any abonndonned children will become the property of Katsucon :)

Darxim
12-31-2003, 05:34 PM
Well, if you're under 16, and not with a parent, just don't act the part, and they probably won't notice. Also, make an effort to hang out with your older friends, so it doesn't look like you're by yourself. Don't be anywhere by yourself.

Of course, when you show up at registration without a parent, I guess they might make an issue out of it. Maybe if you throw a bunch of numbers and random conversation at the person taking your registration, they won't notice you're under 16. Last ditch effort.

Katsucon may be adopting the policy for some legal reason, but I think the new policy may also carry the benefits of raising the maturity level of the convention as a whole. Yeah, I'm thinking something specific, but I can't figure out how to accurately put it into words.

Stueypark
01-01-2004, 02:09 PM
I think it may also have to do with the fact minors can't legally enter into a contract (in this case admission) so anything that happens ends up with Katsucon liable, not the attendee and obviously that's not good for Katsu.

I wouldn't be surprised if katsucon heard from some really ticked parents after their "darling little children" :) got snowed in.

ainslye
01-01-2004, 05:28 PM
Stu, I'll be your guardian.... grroowwll....
what? he's 22?
damn. nevermind.

Anyway, yes, from what I've heard, there were lots of parents in a ruckus about minors being snowed in, and with no one around to be legally responsible for what said minor does in absense of any guardians.... katsucon isnt a daycare. That's for your TV or the mall to do.

Although, wouldn't this really be just an issue for the locals? I can't see any hotels letting a bunch of minors with no one over the age of 16, 18, whatever, checking in alone... can they? Just seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

UnwantedKikyo
01-01-2004, 06:00 PM
If they touch me they die -_- im 14... but like I said touch me they die at the hands of kikyo with a bow that works...lol but I can act 16 so ^_^ im now offically 16 haha.

Anikiki
01-01-2004, 06:56 PM
Don't you have to be at least 18 to stay in a hotel w/o a parent/guardian?
But I guess the permission slip is for certain areas that is unsuitable for those under 18.
Lucky for me, I'm one of the old people. So I don't have to worry about it.

Darxim
01-01-2004, 07:48 PM
I think Stuey nailed it. That makes the most sense of anything I've heard.

People crash in other people's rooms, so the hotel can't really stop minors from being on their own in the hotel. Maybe they can't get a room by themself, but that doesn't keep them from staying in one. Also, people will find hiding places to sleep. It's against policy, but it happens. Also, some people don't stay at the hotel. They stay with a nearby friend.

otakutre
01-01-2004, 08:29 PM
Personally I like the rule. I think it's an excellent idea. But then... I'm 19 and it means bugger all to me. Nyeh heh. ^_^

Oshi
01-01-2004, 09:18 PM
Hmm... My brother is 14, hopefully they'll permit me (19) as his guardian...

ainslye
01-01-2004, 11:45 PM
I don't see why not, Oshi, as long as you don't break any tables. *snicker*
You're over 18, that constitutes as an adult. Is your brother cosplaying?

Karisu-sama
01-02-2004, 12:04 AM
VERY sensible policies - that, and the under 16 accompaniment one. If something untoward happens, the convention could be in REALLY serious legal trouble (which can kill a con for GOOD, folks - think about it.)
If they touch me they die -_- im 14... but like I said touch me they die at the hands of kikyo with a bow that works...lol but I can act 16 so ^_^ im now offically 16 haha.
Maybe their staff members read this board, haha.

Oshi
01-02-2004, 12:01 PM
Is your brother cosplaying?
Oh yes, heheh. He cosplayed at Otakon too. He's MarkShark on the forums, but never posts >.>;

Anyway, I concur with tre, I think this is a great idea. Hopefully it means there will be less people... Last thing I need is ANOTHER overcrowded con. Of course, it could mean the complete opposite, because there'll be more parents walkin around too.

Sorahana
01-02-2004, 12:13 PM
Oh yes, heheh. He cosplayed at Otakon too. He's MarkShark on the forums, but never posts >.>;

Anyway, I concur with tre, I think this is a great idea. Hopefully it means there will be less people... Last thing I need is ANOTHER overcrowded con. Of course, it could mean the complete opposite, because there'll be more parents walkin around too.

Yea parents who probably don't wanna be there lol XD. Might create a moody atmosphere lol XD.

Darxim
01-02-2004, 12:59 PM
There's nothing like good liquor to solve that problem.

Sorahana
01-02-2004, 01:14 PM
Aren't they having sake tasting there or something? That'll keep the parents calm lol.

UnwantedKikyo
01-02-2004, 01:26 PM
Karisu-Sama posted:Maybe their staff members read this board, haha.

As long as they dont know who I am thats ok!Im not being kikyo all weekend haha let them read this board(is stubborn)....I dont like this new rule...its good yet also bad..but they people im with are considered my guardians plus their all over 18 'cept ccamanda lol ^_^ most are over 20. So I guess im good to go? whatever...

~*~Special K signing out~*~

otakutre
01-02-2004, 02:08 PM
There's nothing like good liquor to solve that problem.

Maybe they can have a nice suite open for the off-duty staffers and disgruntled parents to get drunk together in. As much as I don't really like drinking (and certainly *not* at large events like this)... there are few things in this world that can put a con staffer in a better mood than booze. ^_~

Darxim
01-02-2004, 02:33 PM
...there are few things in this world that can put a con staffer in a better mood than booze.
Yes, but most of them aren't legal in Virginia.

otakutre
01-02-2004, 03:22 PM
Yes, but most of them aren't legal in Virginia.

That so? Is the drinking age higher than 21 in VA? ...or do I just never pay enough attention to the age range of staffers?

UnwantedKikyo
01-02-2004, 03:41 PM
Yea its 21...I live in VA so I know..hehe ^_^

trigunvash
01-02-2004, 04:01 PM
Virginia like most states the drinking age is 21, I think the national drinking age is also 21, however it is my understanding some states or cities have adopted a lower age, but I do not know of them. As for hotels, some require you to be 21, some require you to be 18, the best bet is to check with the hotel first. For example in Virginia Beach where Nekocon was held, a lot of the hotels require you to be 21, however some hotels require at least 18 years of age, I think the hotels near Nekocon was 18.

Karisu-sama
01-02-2004, 04:22 PM
but they people im with are considered my guardians plus their all over 18 'cept ccamanda lol ^_^ most are over 20. So I guess im good to go? whatever...

Then what's the point of lying at all? You are attending with legal adults, though even at 16 that form still requires signing. Besides, "accompanied by an adult" does not mean you need to be glued to their side the whole time.

The only thing is if you wander around all the time by yourself without telling your "adult accompaniment" where you will at least intend to be, Ms. 14-year-old, SURE you can tell people you are 16. IF, however, something does happen involving you, your real age will come out, and because of the con's stated official policy, YOU and YOUR ADULT FRIENDS WHO ARE SUPPOSED TO BE YOUR CHAPERONES will be the ones in big trouble.

Take the chance, or not. Whatever.

Darxim
01-02-2004, 04:39 PM
That so? Is the drinking age higher than 21 in VA? ...or do I just never pay enough attention to the age range of staffers?
I don't think you quite followed me, there.

----line-of-separation----

For being 14 and saying you're 16, there's not much point in that. It's like Karisu-sama said. It'll only really matter if an issue is made out of it, and if an issue is made out of it, lying won't help. Besides, I think they assume you're under 16 if you don't have some form of ID.

otakutre
01-02-2004, 09:15 PM
I don't think you quite followed me, there.

:::re-reads:::

...OH. Heh.

UnwantedKikyo
01-03-2004, 02:10 PM
I was being sarcastic....>>' shesh get all up on my case why dont ya. If they ask me I will just tell them to look for my guardian which is dressed as inu with a huge tetsusaiga or who ever she is gonna be that day...you dont have to get on my case if I was only joking bout being 16 I wouldnt say that I have some sense of honor. I would just show them my skool ID so they know who I am and my age/grade so. yea chill....

Darxim
01-04-2004, 12:56 AM
Sarcasm doesn't carry over the Internet very well. Well, outside of comic form.

It helps that 14-year-olds actually do think that way.

UnwantedKikyo
01-04-2004, 11:52 AM
think what way...O.o huh? sarcastic like or wanting to be old like? IM CONFUSEDDDDDDDDDD*runs in circles and bangs head on wall* *sighs*

Chanté
01-04-2004, 12:24 PM
If you're under 18, I dont' know why you WOULDN'T have permission from your parents to go, so I don't think this policy is worth getting your panties in a wad about. ^^; It's not that hard to send in a form! :B

SquishedFlower
01-04-2004, 05:24 PM
I would like to prereg for the cosplay, I am under 18 and my parents/gaurdian will not be even at or remotely near the convention. is this going to cause some proplems?

Aer
01-04-2004, 07:24 PM
If you're under 18, I dont' know why you WOULDN'T have permission from your parents to go, so I don't think this policy is worth getting your panties in a wad about. ^^; It's not that hard to send in a form! :B

I believe it's the rule about walking around unaccompanied by an adult if you are under 16 that they are talking about.

Darxim
01-04-2004, 07:32 PM
I would like to prereg for the cosplay, I am under 18 and my parents/gaurdian will not be even at or remotely near the convention. is this going to cause some proplems?
If you meant for the convention, then it's if you're under 16 that it's a problem. If you're 16-17, then you just need the permission form signed by your parents. It's too late to pre-reg for the convention now. You'd have to do it at the door.

SquishedFlower
01-04-2004, 08:27 PM
alrighty I am old enough no problems then

sniper001
01-18-2004, 11:22 PM
Yep... It sux to be 18 doesnt it?

rhichan
01-19-2004, 09:35 AM
Virginia like most states the drinking age is 21, I think the national drinking age is also 21, however it is my understanding some states or cities have adopted a lower age, but I do not know of them. As for hotels, some require you to be 21, some require you to be 18, the best bet is to check with the hotel first. For example in Virginia Beach where Nekocon was held, a lot of the hotels require you to be 21, however some hotels require at least 18 years of age, I think the hotels near Nekocon was 18.

Drinking age is up to the state. However, you want federal funding for your high ways, you bette be 21+.

trigunvash
01-19-2004, 12:19 PM
Correction not most states have the drinking age at 21. ALL states have it at 21. The Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 requires states to set a minimum drinking age at 21 or higher, or have federal highway funding cut-off.

Ryosuke
01-31-2004, 09:37 PM
Um. It says that if anybody under 16 is caught w/o an adult they call us abandoned and turn us over to the authorities. Does that just apply to staying overnight? I mean thats just retarded that during the day we have to walk around with an adult.

Stueypark
01-31-2004, 10:02 PM
Edit: Deleted it myself

Ganesh
02-02-2004, 02:53 PM
Question?:
Do you need to be over 18 to check into the hotel? My mom reserved the room and all on her card (I'm 17) and, although I have older friends there...it would be easier to just get it myself...

trigunvash
02-03-2004, 10:26 AM
You're going to need your mom to check in the hotel as if she is going to stay there, if you don't want to run into any problems.