PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Court Dress (historical)

Rosiel
12-30-2003, 10:45 AM
This is a shot in the dark but I've been scrounging around my local library, bookstores, and the net, with very little success. I'm looking for information on Ming Dynasty court dress, especially on fastenings, undergarments, and shoes.

(Edit: As for shoes I am looking for the kind of embellished men's shoes as worn by Emperor and high dignitaries.)

I've seen a slew of books on Amazon.com, but, since they are all rather pricey, I'm not too fond of the idea of buying blind. x__x

So did anyone ever come across a good reference for details of Chinese historical clothing? I'm particularily looking for Ming, but would settle for Tang or (if I really have to) Qing.

Thanks. ^__^

Hikaruchan
12-30-2003, 11:32 AM
Are you looking for female shoes of that time? There are a few pictures online of some of the small shoes, where women had binded feet. http://taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archives/2003/08/17/2003064156 has two examples, and some less pretty ones are shown at http://www.merchantmanager.com/theatreofmem/MM001.ASP?pageno=39

My older sister lurks here, and she works in a library and one of her hobbys is historical costumes - maybe she will have some helpful books.

Koumori
12-30-2003, 11:56 AM
I work in a large university library system, and if anybody has books about that, we would. I know one of our libraries just took down an exhibit of shoes, and maybe there's a catalog or some supplemental information related to that. Unfortunately (or not), I'm off work this week - do you need some titles in a hurry, or can it wait until I can get back to work?

Your best source might end up being portraits and paintings from the time period you're looking at, as off the top of my head I can't think of specific books published on the topic, but I'll give it a whirl when I have access to my usual resources.

Rosiel
12-30-2003, 12:07 PM
Hikaruchan:

> Are you looking for female shoes of that time?

Actually I should have been more precise, I am looking for men's shoes, specifically those heavily embellished shoes worn by Emperors and high dignitaries. (I edited my original post to reflect this.)

Koumori:

> do you need some titles in a hurry, or can it wait until I can get back to work?

There is no need to rush... this is an offshoot of my mammoth "will be done when it's done" project, so I have no timeline to adhere to. Thank you for taking the time to have a look for me. I do miss having access to my University's library, public libraries can be so limited.

> Your best source might end up being portraits and paintings from the time period you're looking at

Unfortunately most of these tend to be of Emperors sitting impressively and managing to make their clothes look like a cascade of folds. (That is, it is incredibly unhelpful.) I did finally stumble upon some nice vests photographed from museum collections and even an explanation of how to make their "skirts" (for lack of a better term) but it's still missing a lot of detailwork I am interested in.

Historical costuming is fascinating, I could really get into this. ^___^