PDA

View Full Version : Kimono cosplay

Amantalathiel
12-30-2003, 06:45 PM
i'm going to and cosplay at Cherry Blossom Festival 2004 as megumi from wandering samurai and she wears a kimono, i've never made one before, or even touched one, so I don't know what kind of fabric to use, and any tips would help also, thankyou ^_^

Koumori
12-30-2003, 07:00 PM
Except for very informal yukata, which are made of cotton and are worn only for summer festivals and certain undress occasions, kimono should be made of silk. This is especially true of period costumes.

musica heart
12-30-2003, 09:29 PM
brocade is great material too, most pattern books have kimono patterns, but the downside is the fake obi -.- they call it a western obi...blahh i say to that
try looking them up on ebay, they also sell pre-tied obi's,
then comes how to tie it..there are some books, some online instructions.

PorcelainSakura
12-30-2003, 10:52 PM
kimono are lined, and remember to wear juban (under kimonos) with it

Carmila
12-30-2003, 11:20 PM
Actually, now and days most kimono are not made of silk, rather they are made of a crepe like poly-blend. Hancock fabrics carries a line of poly crepes that are the same weight as all my kimono. However, the problem is, they tend to be just one color. When it comes to lining them, now and days most kimono makers only line furisode and tomosode - the majority of "daily wear" (those not used for formal occasions) are left unlined and are worn with juuban. FYI brocade is way too heavy for a kimono - obi sure, kimono, it don't lay right.

When it comes to a Cherry Blossom festival, Yukata are the way to go. Very few people were full kimono in the summer unless it is an uber special occasion. Simplicity has a pattern that is great. I have used it a few times to make Yukata. For yukata it is wonderful. Have fun!

Amantalathiel
12-31-2003, 09:49 AM
thankyou all ^_^