PDA

View Full Version : Different Steampunk 'Styles'

tobixforever
01-12-2012, 04:34 PM
So I really want to do a steampunk outfit at my upcoming convention (the theme is steampunk vs something else, I can't remember), but I want to be a bit original. I don't want to wear a fancy dress, but I don't want to be an engineer either. Any ideas for me?? Something kind of in the middle would be ideal. I'm open to anything, though.

Mehdia
01-12-2012, 05:27 PM
I've always liked the idea of steampunk street kids and the like. You could wear like the paper boy outfits, all dirtied up and add some neat accessories to add to the character. Like, say, the kid is a pickpocket, you could make some pieces that would be used for that.

Or you could do something like your average person that lives in a steampunk world. They wouldn't need all the fancier stuff, but if they lived in that world, they would still have little accessories here and there that would be used in their everyday jobs.

BlondieSundae
01-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Mehdia you just made me think of the musical Newsies as steampunk! Dx GAAAAWD it's so neat in my head...

Mehdia
01-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Hahaha! I've never seen Newsies, but I know of it. That would be epic.

But I really like the idea of doing random classes of people in steampunk. There's just so many jobs and lifestyles that seem to go untouched because people favor the airship pirates and things of that nature. That's why I've been having so much fun working on my Wind-Up Doll. It's steampunk, but it's not overly steampunk. And since she's mechanical and always a bit busted, it makes sense for me to have gears hanging on me so as to be repaired by my (as of yet unfulfilled by anyone) Herr Drosselmeyer (since the whole concept is based on the song Herr Drosselmeyer's Doll).

BlondieSundae
01-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Hahaha! I've never seen Newsies, but I know of it. That would be epic.

SEE IT! It has mini Christian Bale lmao.

And pretty good music =P

And here's an idea....

STEAMPUNK CHIMNEY SWEEP!

Mehdia
01-12-2012, 10:51 PM
And here's an idea....

STEAMPUNK CHIMNEY SWEEP!

That has to be one of the best ideas ever! There are so many possibilities with accessories and all for that.

BlondieSundae
01-12-2012, 11:53 PM
That has to be one of the best ideas ever! There are so many possibilities with accessories and all for that.

Goggles would make much sense in this one xD

Mehdia
01-13-2012, 12:41 AM
Goggles would make much sense in this one xD

Totally! It for once wouldn't look like someone threw on a pair of goggles and went "Steampunk! I'm totally doing it!"

tobixforever
01-14-2012, 10:27 AM
I've always liked the idea of steampunk street kids and the like. You could wear like the paper boy outfits, all dirtied up and add some neat accessories to add to the character. Like, say, the kid is a pickpocket, you could make some pieces that would be used for that.

Or you could do something like your average person that lives in a steampunk world. They wouldn't need all the fancier stuff, but if they lived in that world, they would still have little accessories here and there that would be used in their everyday jobs.

That's actually a GREAT idea. I'll look into it. I really like the idea of the underclass or the homeless. The 'dirty' look appeals to me more.

Mehdia
01-14-2012, 12:53 PM
That's actually a GREAT idea. I'll look into it. I really like the idea of the underclass or the homeless. The 'dirty' look appeals to me more.

Always happy to help. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Scorpion89
01-19-2012, 11:38 AM
STEAMPUNK CHIMNEY SWEEP!

It's funny you bring this up this is a costume that I'm working on right now I already have the pants and looking at what type of boot/shoe's I'm going to use. As for the Top hat well I make Steampunk Top hats and have a design in mind for my costume. You mention goggles I'm actually taking that one step more by taking pair of flip up Welding Glasses and turning them into Steampunk style for this costume. My only problem right now is trying to decide what type of Chimney Sweep I'm going to make I have the head already I just got to think about the handle. As for the little items well I think I will start laying stuff out on the vest I'm using and see what pops out at me.

Narnian
01-25-2012, 10:32 AM
I love just how varied the option for steampunk "classes" are. You could also do a reporter/journalist, scientist/alchemist, or shop owner. Any of those would be really fun.

@Medhia - I like the underclass idea. You could do a lot with that.

Nanatsunotaizai
01-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Steampunk Vs. Bounty Hunters? You talking about Tokyo in Tulsa?