PDA

View Full Version : soundtrack recommendations?

Celine
11-03-2002, 06:14 PM
Hi everyone! I am hoping that perhaps some of you might be able to help me think of some good anime soundtracks (I've got game soundtracks covered, so I'm specifically looking for anime now). I'm very picky about what I listen to, but I'm always looking for new sounds to try out.

I really cannot stand most vocal anime tunes. I make exceptions for some really outstanding ones- like Please Save my Earth and Escaflowne. That being said, I'm looking for something with a high quality orchestral sound.

I already have Gundam Wing, Cowboy Bebop, El-Hazard, Record of Lodoss War, and PSME. I've heard one or two tracks from Princess Mononoke which are pretty nice- does anyone know if the entire soundtrack is worthwhile? Also, since Escaflowne has decent music but SO many soundtracks, which one would be best?

Please suggest! I appreciate any help. ^_^

Oshi
11-03-2002, 06:19 PM
.hack//SIGN ! Both OSTs! The music is incredible!

aeva
11-03-2002, 06:42 PM
Macross Plus. I love it. *-*

Kia
11-03-2002, 08:54 PM
Anyone notice that for most of those titles the music was done by Yoko Kanno? She is probably one of the most talented musicians I've ever heard of.
Another really good soundtrack is Earth Girl Arjuna (another by Yoko ^-^), I've listened to almost all the music from both albums, I just need to get my hands on the original CDs. (It'll cost a pretty penny, but it's worth it) Lain: Cyberia Mix is really funky if you're looking for something other that background music. Plus Yoko did Turn-A-Gundam, so that stuff is worth a listen as well. ^-^

Kia

p.s. Macross Plus, EG Arjuna and Escaflowne are probably my top three favourite soundtracks of all time!

Sami
11-03-2002, 09:02 PM
>> .hack//SIGN ! Both OSTs! The music is incredible!

YES!!!! I only have OST 1 but I'm already in LOVE with it!! The vocals are so beautiful, and the instrumentals.. wow.

The Angel Sanctuary OST is also another AMAZING soundtrack. I really enjoy instrumentals and this has kind of an elegant, eerie feel to it.. veeery nice.

By the by, has anyone heard the Xenosaga soundtrack yet? By far my FAVORITE soundtrack of all time, probably. It blows me away..

Spooky Brew
11-03-2002, 09:03 PM
Cardcaptor Sakura and Utena is really good ^^

ryuichi fangirl
11-03-2002, 09:10 PM
.hack//SIGN!! That's definately the one I luv the music it's so cool!

Babbit_Chan
11-03-2002, 09:14 PM
Gravitation Best Collection ^^

Kia
11-03-2002, 09:16 PM
Oh, another one! X character files!

Kia

haru
11-03-2002, 10:32 PM
anime -Angel Sanctuary , lain, hack, x, kenshin, lodess, initial D

game- chrono cross! final fantasy tactics, kingdom heart

i have heard xenosaga sound track... not so nice, but ok

Babbit_Chan
11-03-2002, 10:35 PM
Ohh if we can do games then I'd really suggest Breath of Fire IV - great lyricless music

Shadow Lady
11-03-2002, 10:52 PM
being the Big O fan that I am I'm gonna have to say the Big O soundtrack. It has creepy, sad, goofy, and blues songs all in one cd.

Another one of my favorites is Trigun the first donuts and the first Inu Yasha soundtrack.

I've just seen Spirited Away a few days ago and the background music is kinda nice.

Escaflowne and Cowboy Bebop are also really cool.

Dark Vision
11-04-2002, 02:37 AM
FLCL(furi kuri), its like the first J-Rock I ever liked. Half the time its impossibe to make out the vocals. But thats just one of the cool characteristics of this. "Something something SPIDER something something." Its just so upbeat and energetic.

Koumori
11-04-2002, 06:52 AM
I'm loving Earth Girl Arjuna.. frankly the soundtrack makes the anime worth watching all the way through.

KuroBara
11-04-2002, 07:42 AM
I second Earth Girl Arjuna, .hack//SIGN, and Utena. Just be careful, there's 8 Utena OSTs.

http://ohtori.nu

This site sorts them out, and lets you sample a few tracks.

psythe
11-04-2002, 07:50 AM
Noir OST 1 and 2!!! *dreamy*
.Hack//Sign OST1
Anything from Gasaraki

*runs to check out Arjuna OST*

I could listen to any of those any given moment.

SleepingKirby
11-04-2002, 11:13 AM
Gack!!! Dark Vision beat me to it!!!

FLCL, Kare Kano, Cowboy Bebop... uhm.... YUA Song collection, AMG Movie Soundtrack due out this month, (Dea Canta!!!) Para Para stuff, One Piece singles collecton.

Kia
11-04-2002, 12:30 PM
Just give me anything by Yoko Kanno and I'll be happy! ^-^

Kia

Ranma Saotome
11-04-2002, 01:22 PM
DoCo First, Second, Ranma 1/2 BGM Best Collection, Hand Maid May SDTK, and the Sonia Wonderland CD. ^^

ryuichi fangirl
11-04-2002, 03:34 PM
8 Utena OST's? wow thats alot...hey, what about Yami no Matsuei? The opening song..I believe it's called Eden...rocks!

Dark Vision
11-04-2002, 04:04 PM
One Piece... how can I forget about "We Are" and "Run, run, run." I like these songs more than Sakura Saku.

Oshi
11-04-2002, 05:22 PM
FLCL! How could I forget that! The Pillows rule =D

RoseDuelist
11-04-2002, 06:47 PM
I agree with Spooky Brew. Utena is great. There is some vocals, but the majority of the tracks are instrumental. The first season and the movie have the best songs (in my opinion).

KaitouKurogo
11-04-2002, 09:35 PM
Utena, Kenshin, X Japan, Final Fantasy (I would suggest 7 and 10 personally), and perhaps a little of Trigun's "Spicy Stewed Donuts". It's got plenty of hard guitar...not exactly soothing orchestra, but nice anyway.

Too bad you've got games already covered. I would've suggested Legend of Zelda Original Soundtrack, licence GM-099, produced by Ever Anime. It has eight of the original songs in full orchestra. Very lovely and soothing.

Galaxia
11-04-2002, 09:53 PM
Bebop, Trigun, FLCL, Evangelion, Utena, Escaflowne, Arjuna, Sailor Moon - you can't go wrong with any of those :)

Sakura
11-10-2002, 12:30 AM
The soundtrack for Noir is excellent. I <3 it ^_^ Also, Cardcaptor Sakura and the Rayearth OAV <-- awesome!

Fireflyprincess
11-11-2002, 09:46 AM
Well I have an total instrumental Magic knights Rayearth sound track which is good, then Kare Kano is terrific.

Bell-chan
11-25-2002, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by psyth3
Noir OST 1 and 2!!! *dreamy*
.Hack//Sign OST1
Anything from Gasaraki

*runs to check out Arjuna OST*

I could listen to any of those any given moment. ^__^ Noir's soundtrack was so cool! (Cool...for lack of a better word) I had just finished watching it today XD. My friend and I both agree that Chloe was our absolute favorite character >.<
*wants to buy soundtrack....loves the music played when they're all kicking ass...mysterious music!!! * XD

psythe
11-25-2002, 07:12 AM
XD!!!!

Yay! Another Chloe fan!! So glad you enjoyed the series!

Here is one of the songs you were looking for when they are fighting. It's called Canta Per Me, the other "battle" music you are looking for is called "Salva Nos"

http://www.forcefedmultimedia.com/animesys/media/Noir_CantaPerMe.mp3

Bell-chan
11-25-2002, 12:20 PM
psyth3- thanks! I love this music :p I realized when watching Noir that Chloe was your sig and avatar @_@ hahah

peaseblossom
11-25-2002, 01:15 PM
End of Evangelion

Cowboy Bebop

Read or Die

^_^

Registration
11-25-2002, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Bell-chan
psyth3- thanks! I love this music :p I realized when watching Noir that Chloe was your sig and avatar @_@ hahah

Am I the only one who likes Mireille the best? :(

Noir music is really good. Mononoke Hime has a really good soundtrack too.

Bell-chan
11-26-2002, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Registration
No, but you are the only person I know personally who does. I like Mireille a lot too (I'd say it's almost a tie between Mireille and Kirika, but I favor Mireille slightly more.)! But Chloe is just cooler in my opinion.

psythe
11-26-2002, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Registration

Popularity is more like Kirika most popular, then Mireille, then Chloe.

I wish Chloe was more popular, maybe then they would make a resin statue or something. The new statues they have for Kirika and Mireille are just beautiful.

cutekawaii
11-26-2002, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Kia

Another really good soundtrack is Earth Girl Arjuna (another by Yoko ^-^), I've listened to almost all the music from both albums, I just need to get my hands on the original CDs. (It'll cost a pretty penny, but it's worth it) Lain: Cyberia Mix is really funky if you're looking for something other that background music. Plus Yoko did Turn-A-Gundam, so that stuff is worth a listen as well. ^-^

Kia, I LOVE YOU!!!!! The Arjuna soundtracks is one of th ebst out there! I <3 Arjuna~ X is damn good too, well as the lain sdtk. You rock, Kia!!

Another one, if it hasn't alrady been mentioned, is Cowboy Bebop, another Kano classic~

Recca-kun
11-26-2002, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Sami
>>By the by, has anyone heard the Xenosaga soundtrack yet? By far my FAVORITE soundtrack of all time, probably. It blows me away.. I need to play the game for more than 90 minutes first! :blubber: I may yet get a Japanese PS2 since I already have the game...

As you can tell my favorite soundtrack is the Xenogears OST. ^_^; Beyond that I would say both Chronos, Grandia II, and Star Ocean 2 (or you could just say most things from Yasunori Mitsuda, Noriyuki Idaware, and Motoi Sakuraba). As for anime ones I'd have to think... for vocal soundtracks I like Macross 7, Gravitation, Initial D, and .hack//sign (FLCL too on some days), but as far as whole soundtracks go I kind of want to say Ayashi no Ceres - great music for what's going on at the time and the few vocal tracks they have are awesome.

katchoo
11-26-2002, 10:35 AM
Kingdom hearts soundtrack...I can listen to it while I am at work and it relaxes me. ^_^

cutekawaii
11-26-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by katchoo24
Kingdom hearts soundtrack...I can listen to it while I am at work and it relaxes me. ^_^ Does it happen to have One Winged Angel under another title on there? That's pretty much the only reason I'd buy the soundtrack, since Hikari is on one of Hikki's CDs already, and the only song I really liked from KH is the Jungle one.

KANEDA
11-26-2002, 08:27 PM
AKIRA
Robot Carnival
Metropolis
Memories
Meikyuu Monogatari
Macross: Ai Oboeteiimasuka
Honneamise No Tsubasa
Perfect Blue
Castle Of Cagliostro

ServerKiller
11-26-2002, 11:08 PM
Come on, where the hell are the hellsing osts XD. Other than that I like FLCL *cough*pillows ownz*cough*, no flaming here, the digimon osts mostly 01, tamers and fronier.

Celine
11-26-2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by cutekawaii
Does it happen to have One Winged Angel under another title on there?

No, it doesn't. Guess you have to buy the FF7 soundtrack for that. ^^

Rinkun
11-27-2002, 12:39 AM
Akeboshi's CD "Stoned Town" is wonderful! i bought it yesterday and i haven't stopped playing it. but that's just an artist...

...the same with The *Scanty. they do cool punk girl songs. my favs are Koibana and Rock 'N Roll Princess.

Akeboshi does the ED theme to Naruto
The*Scanty does the OP themes to Full Moon wo Sagashite

as for soundtracks, i love the Tales Soundtrack, especially Tales of Eternia.

John Booty
11-27-2002, 07:28 AM
Hi Celine! XD

Anything by Yoko Kanno is recommended.

Also:
* FLCL (great "alterna" guitar rock... very untypically Japanese)

* Evangelion (I dunno if it's your style, but it's very good dramatic/melodramatic instrumentals... sort of a tribute to cheesy old giant robot soundtrack music in certain places)

* Mononoke: yes, I'd recommend this! it's pretty good on it's own, probably better if you love the movie, although I think I remember you saying you weren't the hugest fan of it. If you like this, all (or almost all) of Miyazaki's films have soundtracks by the same dude, Joe Hisashi

* Trigun: some really excellent songs and a few i can't stand. overall i'd say they're worth it.

Maryssa
11-28-2002, 04:20 PM
I vote for the Escaflowne soundtracks ^_^
And though it's not really anime, the SeraMyu soundtracks =)

SpPANDA
12-03-2002, 01:46 AM
Noir OST owns...

3-D
12-03-2002, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by aeva
Macross Plus. I love it. *-*
Absolutely. Oh yeah, and Trigun's soundtrack is good even if a bit repetitive throughout the series.

psythe
12-03-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by SpPANDA
Noir OST owns...

Hai.
:bigtu:

nails
12-04-2002, 01:06 AM
the Naruto single ROCKS by Hound Dog kicks ass. but thats just me.. note that many people might not like that type of music. I'd post a link to it if it was allowed on this forum.. but I don't think it is. :/

Karisu-sama
12-04-2002, 02:00 AM
Esca has so many soundtracks.... Sheesh. But they're all good. I got all 3 TV ones and the movie because they're ALL good. I couldn't say which one to pick... If you had to pick one, I'd go for one with your "favorite piece" on it, but i have "favorite pieces" on all of them.

Kenshin's music is cool.

I'd recommend a lot of the above from other's posts too...

CelesDragon
12-05-2002, 03:07 PM
My recommendations:

-.Hack, of course. Of all of them, I prefer the Extra though.
-X OST 1

and for one I haven't seen suggested yet,
-Scryed OST 1. It's not done by Yokko Kanno, but she did help with some of the tracks.

Chimera_Zero
12-05-2002, 05:09 PM
Noir OST...ahh *Cante Per Me plays in background* ^^ hmm...other soundracks. Can't think of any right now...wait,Excel Saga? That's pretty good(Remembers Nabeshin's theme and the opening theme as well).. Oh, and I like Mireille and Kirika equally ^^

KimikoChan
12-05-2002, 11:52 PM
Hmmm..

X-tv for SURE!
Fruits Basket
Marmalade Boy
Full Moon o Sagashite
Gravitation
Evangelion
Ayashi no Ceres