PDA

View Full Version : Kimono needed

Seireiyoru
01-16-2012, 12:15 AM
I'm going to Anime Expo in June and I'm considering doing a Hold, Release; Rakshasa and Carcasses cosplay, but before I make up my mind I want to be sure I can get a kimono for it. I can't sew AT ALL, I don't have a functioning sewing machine in my house either, so that's out. I would like to hear if anyone knows where I can buy just a plain, solid black one, preferrably cotton, for under $60-70? I've never commissioned from here either, so I'm a little hesitant to try.

Mangochutney
01-16-2012, 12:26 AM
A cotton kimono is almost always a yukata, for very casual wear, and since the more usual kimono that comes in all black is a mofuku, i.e. funeral wear (thus very formal indeed) you'd be hard-pressed to find one.

You can, however, find used mofuku (and mofuku-obi sets) for less than $60. You can get them for $18 plus shipping here (http://www.kimonoya-japan.net/product-list/50). These kimono will all have white crests, however, so you'll have to decide whether you'd prefer to paint over them, embroider over them, applique over them, or leave them be. By Japanese standards, it's pretty distasteful to wear a used one unaltered. It's up to you how much that bothers you.

Seireiyoru
01-16-2012, 01:44 AM
I didn't know the difference between a kimono and a yukata...you learn something new every day. You're a lifesaver, by the way. Thanks a lot!

ShinobiXikyu
01-16-2012, 10:45 PM
To be a touch more specific, yukata are a lightweight, unlined cotton and usually simply patterned. If it's heavier and lined, you've got a kimono. If you can get an all-cotton kimono or yukata in a light colour, dyeing it may yield some result too.